Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393081 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10965 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:02 pm »

Is this the meme life
...or just a /pol/ wet dream?
Caught on a wild ride
We are here for eternity

Open your files
Scroll up to the rares and see

It's just a damn frog
Feels are there too maybe
It started very dumb
So much so
The alt-right
Missed the joke
Then it laughed as Trump rose
Doesn't really matter

...to memes
I approve of this message
Whole thing kinda fell out of my head when I accidentally hummed "is this the meme life" to the tune.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:24 pm »

Yeah, not sure that baby boomers are to blame here. They are part of the contingent of the demographic that swings red, certainly, but they've swung red for a while now. That's not what won this election.
They literally are.  I linked an article that shows the breakdown of the young and old voters.  Only reason I didn't link the pictures is they weren't actual pictures, they were wired up to voting statistics somewhere.

Here, have it again.  Its near the end.

As for the rest... I didn't say its old people that are the problem.  Its baby boomers.  Someday they will die, and there will be no more of them.

Nenjin said it better than I did, as is his way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: November 09, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

@Neo: Of course it's looking bad for them, but nobody's going to shoot them. Or if someone does, they would have done it regardless of the election results.

That isn't true. We have actually studied the effect of Media on things like suicide and homicide and have found that people can be triggered.

Mind you... it isn't usually anyone's fault. You aren't responsible for people getting hurt (well unless you actually ask people to hurt people)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: November 09, 2016, 03:37:25 pm »

I had a test cancelled for today since some students emailed the professor saying they're too scared to come in today.

That's just absurdly stupid.

As for the rest... I didn't say its old people that are the problem.  Its baby boomers.  Someday they will die, and there will be no more of them.

Nenjin said it better than I did, as is his way.

Nah, the problem is clearly white people. we should just wait for all of them to die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: November 09, 2016, 03:38:58 pm »

I had a test cancelled for today since some students emailed the professor saying they're too scared to come in today.

Well there are two possible explanations
1) The students are making excuses to delay a test
2) The students are Muslim

Which I wouldn't really give the second one much weight... If... It wasn't already kind of an issue. (Trump has a real emboldening effect on bigots to act out their aggressions on the Muslim community for some reason)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: November 09, 2016, 03:39:35 pm »

I wouldn't have wanted to take a test today, that's for sure.

Mostly because I spent all last early morning freaking out and all, but, you know.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: November 09, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »

Which I wouldn't really give the second one much weight... If... It wasn't already kind of an issue. (Trump has a real emboldening effect on bigots to act out their aggressions on the Muslim community for some reason)

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10972 on: November 09, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »

Americans be like "GOD WHY YOU HAVE FORSAKEN US?!?"
And God is like "DUDS I GAVE YOU A CLEAR SIGN... I GAVE YOU TWO SIGNS! WHAT ELSE YOU WANT?!?"

(It should be noted that I am only joking and I don't belive that Bernie Bird was a sign from God, because there are people around that will totally belive that this is what I seriously think)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: November 09, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: November 09, 2016, 03:45:21 pm »

I could understand, hey Prof. We stayed all night biting our fingernails only to end up dreading in bed snatching a few horror filled lapses of sleep so we're too tired to take a test,

but,

We are too scared to show up at class today? really? and you guys think the baby boomers is your problem?!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: November 09, 2016, 03:47:03 pm »

Holy crap, people. My heart goes out to you in your time of crisis. Did not see this coming.

Well I guess we will see if the immigration thing plays out like I said it could, now.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: November 09, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »

I should write the Tao of Strife or something, because it's really strange to see the sheer, hilarious, caricature-level panic that's on campus right now. It could be worse. We're not at the end of the Republic, although there's some chance that we can see the end from here. However, there's always the chance that the end is visible from where we sit.
Fuck everything else, social progress and whatnot; we're at a point in moving to combat climate change where every month matters. And that will, at best, be put on hold for the next 4 years. At worst we'll get a new subsidized boom in the fossil fuel industry, along with abolishment of previously set carbon reduction targets and programs, and screw things over even harder. It's not something you or I will likely see beyond some sea-level rise and increasingly powerful hurricanes, but there's a good chance that this new administration is gonna fuck the planet over right proper for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

What I'm saying is, invest in offworld colonies. It's humanity's only hope now.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:50 pm »

Direct quote from the Stanford Newspaper today
EDITOR'S NOTE
Confidential help and support resources are available 24-7 on campus, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can be reached at 650-723-3785, and the Bridge Peer Counseling Center can be reached at 650-723-3392.
Additional spaces are available for support and reflection following the election. The Black House will host a safe space for election reactions on Wednesday, Nov. 9 at 12:30 p.m.

If was much more of an involved asshole than I am, I'd go react dishonestly to the election with a Trump ballcap today, just to see how long it takes me to get kicked out.

I should write the Tao of Strife or something, because it's really strange to see the sheer, hilarious, caricature-level panic that's on campus right now. It could be worse. We're not at the end of the Republic, although there's some chance that we can see the end from here. However, there's always the chance that the end is visible from where we sit.
Fuck everything else, social progress and whatnot; we're at a point in moving to combat climate change where every month matters. And that will, at best, be put on hold for the next 4 years. At worst we'll get a new subsidized boom in the fossil fuel industry, along with abolishment of previously set carbon reduction targets and programs, and screw things over even harder. It's not something you or I will likely see beyond some sea-level rise and increasingly powerful hurricanes, but there's a good chance that this new administration is gonna fuck the planet over right proper for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

What I'm saying is, invest in offworld colonies. It's humanity's only hope now.

So, what I'm hopeful for here is that we get into a new Space Race with China. If we're super lucky, it'll also involve ground-based, laser ASAT weaponry so we can clear the debris along the way.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: November 09, 2016, 03:51:42 pm »

Holy crap, people. My heart goes out to you in your time of crisis. Did not see this coming.

Thanks.......

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: November 09, 2016, 03:56:21 pm »

Guys, I can't fault the uni for doing something like that. You folks talk about toughening up and whatnot but for a chunk of our country we just elected a VP that wants to legalize and fund with taxpayer's money their torture, to say nothing everything else the GOP wants to do and all the others they want to do it to, as well. I'm not going to fault them a bit of shock.

People have said that since the fuckin' sixties. 'Once the old people die, it's all peaches.' There will always be old people. Young people voted for Trump quite a bit, this election, compared to how much they voted for Obama. The world is never as simple as that.
... well, yeah. People have been saying that since the sixties, and more or less every time an older generation politically marginalizes we get gains in... most things, really, so far as I can recall (though given these last few generations and how bloody much has happened in them, that's kinda' understandable). Except the manufacturing sector, I guess. Still second in the world but we got too good at it, and those that got left behind wanted to suffer and wreck everything around them instead of allow themselves to be helped so :V Not that I don't understand the motive. Pride and whatnot, I get it. Got no use for it m'self, but I know it motivates other people.

Not saying kill 'em off or anything but those of us paying attention have been painfully aware we're waiting for people to die more than just about anything to get done what we think needs done, culturally, economically, and so on. There'll still be red (or blue, or whatever), but it'll be a different one, almost certainly with significantly more in the way of shared experiences and grounds to connect and communicate, forge agreements and ways forward. Above and beyond everything else, it's pretty astoundingly different to get older folks to change behaviors they've been practicing for longer than you've been alive. It's possible! Definitely possible. But you're talking about time and effort investments to get that change to occur that can ultimately be less efficient use of your time than just waiting for them to die and directing your attentions to wherever else you can make gains in the process; to accept that they may be a friend or loved one or whatever but they're not going to be your political ally without significantly more effort than they're practically worth on that front. You can spend all that time getting changes to occur in a demographic that's going to work against you in the process and then still die not long after you're done, or you can just let the latter happen and build bridges with the younger generations or others among your own and have coalitions that might actually agree in the process even somewhat and still be with you another decade down the line. Time investment's roughly the same, but the gains involved are notably different.

And it bloody sucks, by the by. It is one of the most intensely saddening, painful, frustrating, etc., things to know there's no way you're going to be able to get a friend or loved one or just fellow citizen to work with you. To see them doing stuff that has demonstrably made things worse both for yourself and them, and to try, and try, and try, and get nothing, and nothing, and nothing, all the while they're doing stuff to actively make your life worse, even if that's not really their intention. Y'try anyway but after a point it gets really obvious you're just kinda' pissing away your effort, that could be spent mitigating how they're screwing you over instead of failing to get them to stop.

Though yeah, at what isp said a bit back, point doesn't seem to be that they're all of it. Just that without 'em it would've been a lot easier to go a different path. Greater portion of the population made up of folks actually willing to listen, or at least that younger folks are able to talk with the right way (i.e. not be relatively young), without the same sort of cultural/historical baggage, that sort of thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1249