Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392544 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #10035 on: November 08, 2016, 11:15:44 am »

It's really bizarre to see someone actively trying to convince people not to vote.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10036 on: November 08, 2016, 11:17:13 am »

It's even more bizarre to see SOMEBODY SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT THE VOTING DAY.

IT'S TODAY, FOLKS

NOT TOMORROW

EVEN IF SOME AD SAYS OTHERWISE

you all knew that? 'kay
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: November 08, 2016, 11:19:34 am »

It's really bizarre to see someone actively trying to convince people not to vote.

The US is so far Democrat that it doesn't make any difference.

I'm British anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: November 08, 2016, 11:20:56 am »

Then kindly sod off back to your stodgy house and mind your own business?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:22 am »

3%.
Still really not close. That's a large margin for Hillary. Better to be safe and warm in the house than standing in a freezing cold line all night.
Better to get out and vote, so we get a much larger margin and hopefully don't have to go through another election cycle like this one. Single digit margin is smaller than it should be. Double digit might just get the GOP to pay attention.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:46 am »

Faithless electors have been really uncommon in the 20th and 21st centuries. Trump is MUCH more at risk from faithless electors due to the schism in the Republican party. Heck, if he loses, they may go and change electoral vote anyway to make a point.

Nobody here is saying that, unless codician said something and I missed it. Besides, theres plenty of stuff to vote for besides President. You can withold your presidential vote and still vote for other stuff on the ballot.

It's even more bizarre to see SOMEBODY SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT THE VOTING DAY.

IT'S TODAY, FOLKS

NOT TOMORROW

EVEN IF SOME AD SAYS OTHERWISE

you all knew that? 'kay

And people can make mistakes, like one company made an honest mistake and got notified about it:

Blake Hounshell

11/08/2016 09:58 AM EST

Share Tweet

Urban Outfitters, the retail chain for lazy would-be hipsters, tweeted some misinformation about voter ID requirements. Alerted to the mistake by ProPublica -- which is running a project monitoring problems voters are having accessing the polls today -- the company quickly deleted the errant tweet and started over.

From the politico liveblog.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: November 08, 2016, 11:27:28 am »

Yeah, you missed it. Somehow, considering it's about all they've been posting in here. Cod's been arguing against voting since they showed up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: November 08, 2016, 11:30:25 am »

Someone from another country suggesting people should be content with a given margin and "stay safe and warm instead of standing in a cold ass line all night" isn't needed or appreciated. Not everyone is in a state/district which doesn't matter (Memphis always goes blue due to gerrymandering, TN always goes red due to gerrymanderers and white trash) and there are several states which have seats that are contested with easy wins at the top of the ticket, plus several with a possible upset at the top of the ticket which may lead to downballot effects.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:48 am »

538 has released their final election update (besides the liveblog) and prediction. Though I'm sure we're all over the liveblogs and stuff, I am at least.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: November 08, 2016, 11:41:56 am »

Faithless electors have been really uncommon in the 20th and 21st centuries. Trump is MUCH more at risk from faithless electors due to the schism in the Republican party. Heck, if he loses, they may go and change electoral vote anyway to make a point.

Faithless electors have been really uncommon period. In the entire history of the United States, 179 electors have failed to follow the popular vote. In 71 of those cases, this was because the person in question was dead by the time the EC voted (63 for Horace Greeley in 1871, 8 for James Sherman in 1914), and they tried to support other candidates instead of voting the dead guy in and letting succession take care of it. Neither man came close to winning, so it didn't matter. That means that there are only 108 cases where it mattered, and of those 108 electors 53 were whole states going faithless in just two elections - Virginia's 23 in 1836 refused to vote for Richard Mentor Johnson as VP (he was openly carrying on a relationship with a slave, which was a major faux pas - many did such things, but you weren't supposed to admit it) which is the only election in US history where the outcome was changed as Johnson didn't get enough EC votes and had to be elected by congress, and Pennsylvania's 30 refused to vote for Van Buren as VP.

Nobody here is saying that, unless codician said something and I missed it. Besides, theres plenty of stuff to vote for besides President. You can withold your presidential vote and still vote for other stuff on the ballot.

You missed it, apparently.

There's not really much point in voting even if you are American, the polls are completely in favour of Hillary and apparently the lines in front of the voting stations are full of Hillary supporters.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: November 08, 2016, 11:52:33 am »

The US is so far Democrat that it doesn't make any difference.

This isn't even true. The Republicans (as of the time of this post, in a few hours, who knows) hold the house and the senate. By some polling measures the presidential race is within the expect margin of error and the undecideds are way higher then normal, which could make that margin of error even more wild.

Frankly, the stuff you're saying is not only untrue, but blatantly so, to the point where I have to wonder... Why you're saying them?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: November 08, 2016, 11:57:13 am »

It's not likely that the Dems will take the House, but yeah, we'll see tonight.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:08 am »

You missed it, apparently.

There's not really much point in voting even if you are American, the polls are completely in favour of Hillary and apparently the lines in front of the voting stations are full of Hillary supporters.

I'm not saying that at all. Just that personally I would rather be warm at home instead of waiting in a line all night, especially when my vote won't make a difference.

This isn't even true. The Republicans (as of the time of this post, in a few hours, who knows) hold the house and the senate. By some polling measures the presidential race is within the expect margin of error and the undecideds are way higher then normal, which could make that margin of error even more wild.

Frankly, the stuff you're saying is not only untrue, but blatantly so, to the point where I have to wonder... Why you're saying them?

The polls really haven't changed enough to make what I'm saying untrue. It looks increasingly likely Hillary will win a landslide victory.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: November 08, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »

I'm not saying that at all. Just that personally I would rather be warm at home instead of waiting in a line all night, especially when my vote won't make a difference.

You have said there's no point in voting and that it's better stay inside.

If that's not advocating for people not voting I don't know what is.

The polls really haven't changed enough to make what I'm saying untrue.

Depends on what polls your reading. And no, even the rosiest polls for Hillary make your "The US is so far Democrat that it doesn't make any difference." bullshit.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:46 pm »

Voted!

Go Johnson! Wooo....

Have a nice election day everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1249