Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392118 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #10065 on: November 08, 2016, 12:35:16 pm »

-snip-

Those, except for the last two, are NATIONAL polls, and polls have been wrong or off before.

Polls were spot on last time and it's looking to be a landslide for Hillary.

Trump has a bigger chance of winning than the Cubs had of winning the World Series, and the Cubs won, so, it's still possible.

If anything, her winning is even more of a reason to vote to send a message to the Republicans.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: November 08, 2016, 12:36:40 pm »

Spoiler: my 2 cents (click to show/hide)
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: November 08, 2016, 12:37:14 pm »

Polls were spot on last time

No. They weren't.

Edit: They were closer then the margin of error that Trump needs to win the presidency, however, not by a huge amount, and in this election there's a much larger number of undecideds who could swing ether way.

Yeah, 12% undecideds compared to 3% on Election Day in 2012.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: November 08, 2016, 12:41:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really not wrong, though.
Those are tiny spreads though, many are within the expected margin of error.

To cut through the statistics talk, 538 is saying Clinton has a 71% overall chance of winning.  That's good, but it's faaaar from a sure thing.  It's closer to 50-50 than to a sure thing.
I liked my DND "Roll d20, die on 1-6" example.  A (maybe harsh) one would be taking the third turn in Russian Roulette.  Which technically is better odds...

I'm glad you're not trying to convince people to avoid voting, though.  I guess you're just arguing for the sake of argument - I can relate to that :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: November 08, 2016, 12:42:24 pm »

Hey, UK did basically run with that line despite their polling being even closer. Maybe this is some kind of odd linguistic drift.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: November 08, 2016, 12:51:22 pm »

The Trump campaign has made a pre-emptive lawsuit to challenge the results in Nevada. It's for the early voting though and they aren't actually challenging the votes just yet.

While I hope not, Nevada could become to 2016 what Florida was for 2000. I can only wonder where else he might be issuing a challenge.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: November 08, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »

I for one got my I Voted sticker

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: November 08, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

-snip-

Those, except for the last two, are NATIONAL polls, and polls have been wrong or off before.

Polls were spot on last time and it's looking to be a landslide for Hillary.
There are more names on the ballots than just Hillary and Trump.

There are important downballot races in play here.

There are states where a few votes are literally going to make a difference here.

The US has awful turnout anyways, I'd rather have someone vote for Trump than accept your sort of "well, Hillary is going to win anyways, why bother" and just not vote at all.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »

I'm just giving you my preference. It's the middle of winter and Donald Trump has massively lost.
By any measure, you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Meteorological Winter would be December, January, February (it's not even December yet). Astronomical Winter starts with the Winter Solstice (on or about December 21st) and ends at the Vernal Equinox (near-equivalent day in March) and there are various variants variously voiced, but because the solstices are also called "Mid-Summer's/Winter's Day/Night" the common public idea is that the seasons equitably straddle their solstice (or equinox, for spring and autumn). Even then, it's only just Winter, still nowhere near the middle.

All the above for the Northern extra-tropical, sub-arctic zones of Earth. If you're in the southern hemisphere you're even more wrong in this mostly pre-estival period, if you're in the tropics you'll never ever be right and if you're within the Arctic Circle you've got your own problems, and good luck with them.

I hope that this convinces you of your gross error. And all without even mentioning the 'T'-name in my repudiation.  *Tada*!  I am so proud of myself.  (Now, where's that fall? Or autumn.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: November 08, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »

When the hell was 3 percentage points a landslide? What fictional universe do you live in where you call that a landslide? That's a narrow edge win, at best.

Would you prefer I told people not to vote during the Brexit vote because "Remain is winning in a landslide"?
Well, the 1.9%* win for Remain was "overwhelming", apparently...  ;)

* Hush, LW and Cov, that's still an argument for back in the other thread.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: November 08, 2016, 01:36:41 pm »

I wish I could have voted Johnson in an effort to get the Libertarians over the 5% mark, as I would like them to be a better vector for ideas into the two major parties. Unfortunately, polls put Trump's margin of victory in this state at just within the likely margins of the polling error, meaning that I can't afford not to vote Clinton in an effort to flip a closer-than-expected vote.
Also Johnson makes Sarah Palin look well-informed and qualified. Even his own VP basically said to vote Hillary.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: November 08, 2016, 01:37:48 pm »

Requesting we include "Judgement Day" in the thread title.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: November 08, 2016, 01:45:18 pm »

I wish I could have voted Johnson in an effort to get the Libertarians over the 5% mark, as I would like them to be a better vector for ideas into the two major parties. Unfortunately, polls put Trump's margin of victory in this state at just within the likely margins of the polling error, meaning that I can't afford not to vote Clinton in an effort to flip a closer-than-expected vote.
Also Johnson makes Sarah Palin look well-informed and qualified. Even his own VP basically said to vote Hillary.

That's not an issue because I don't expect (or want) Johnson to win. I want the Libertarian Party to gain more prominence so that it has a chance to alter the things I dislike about the major parties.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Helgolandian Refugees from the American Political Machine: Judgement Day
« Reply #10079 on: November 08, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »

Something like this one!
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1249