Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388659 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9735 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »

lol MSH

Original NYT story: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/us/politics/donald-trump-presidential-race.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

It's not so much direct control than carefully managing it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: November 06, 2016, 06:19:07 pm »

Lol. Trump is here, in Minnesota, or at least was a few hours ago.

Good luck mate. I know we're not like... California. But still. Maybe this is what happens when you don't bother to pay your statistics keeping people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: November 06, 2016, 06:24:07 pm »

For what it's worth, what I recall is that... romney, I think? Did something similar when it was becoming more obvious his nethers were getting pushed in. Starting stumping in the tail end of things in odd places by traditional (i.e. sane) measure.

That said, yeah, word does seem to be that trump stopped paying/didn't pay his pollster, though I've forgotten how official that was already. It'd explain a fair bit, at least as much as internal polling merely spitting out unusual results. Totally in line with the guy's character and history, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: November 06, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »

I guess they must have all been duplicate emails or something. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how people react to this, though.

Weren't the FBI initially investigating somewhere in the region of 35k e-mails, whereas the thing that sparked off the recent re-opening was finding 650k e-mails on Weiner's laptop? So at the very most, something like 5% of them could be duplicates. And I believe the FBI specifically mentioned they'd found articles to/from HRC that hadn't been handed over in the original set (despite the subpoena).

To even read 650k e-mails in the time since they 're-opened' the investigation and now, they'd have to have read 50 a minute, non-stop, in the last nine days. I have my doubts about how closely they have scrutinised these new e-mails.

Also on the e-mail note, one trick Podesta and the others used was to reply over the top of old e-mail chains and change the subject to something innocuous like 'Congratulations!' 'Happy birthday!', etc. The replies doing this would often be several months after the last e-mail in the chain. So you can have a chain of ten e-mails that originally had the subject 'Make sure no one finds out about this', but as soon as you get word that your e-mails are going to be looked at, you reply and change the subject to 'Congratulations' and add some twee message about one of the grandkids. To anyone skimming through, that's an unimportant e-mail chain, and it gets ignored.

Did you think that they were doing it all manually? They used a special program to go through those thousands of emails.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: November 06, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »

I saw a group of Trump supporters above the freeway today. Nothing odd there, but they had a big sign that said 'Deplorables for Trump' in addition to the normal 'Make America Great Again' and whatnot. That did not seem like a selling point to me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

I guess they must have all been duplicate emails or something. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how people react to this, though.

Weren't the FBI initially investigating somewhere in the region of 35k e-mails, whereas the thing that sparked off the recent re-opening was finding 650k e-mails on Weiner's laptop? So at the very most, something like 5% of them could be duplicates. And I believe the FBI specifically mentioned they'd found articles to/from HRC that hadn't been handed over in the original set (despite the subpoena).

To even read 650k e-mails in the time since they 're-opened' the investigation and now, they'd have to have read 50 a minute, non-stop, in the last nine days. I have my doubts about how closely they have scrutinised these new e-mails.

Also on the e-mail note, one trick Podesta and the others used was to reply over the top of old e-mail chains and change the subject to something innocuous like 'Congratulations!' 'Happy birthday!', etc. The replies doing this would often be several months after the last e-mail in the chain. So you can have a chain of ten e-mails that originally had the subject 'Make sure no one finds out about this', but as soon as you get word that your e-mails are going to be looked at, you reply and change the subject to 'Congratulations' and add some twee message about one of the grandkids. To anyone skimming through, that's an unimportant e-mail chain, and it gets ignored.
I'm pretty sure it was just 3 e-mails. At least, that's how many he apparently mentioned in that letter to Congress. I haven't even heard about this "650k" figure.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:39 pm »

They weren't looking at emails on his laptop, though. They were looking through emails on his... was it his wife or daughter's phone? Can't recall. Regardless, that's where they found emails that may or may not have been related to the case. They did not claim that every single email they found was related; only a small subset. Of which they were concluded to be useless to a case or duplicates.

Either way, you're now both agreeing with the FBI and disagreeing with the FBI. You agree when their actions support your conclusions, and disagree when they don't. So which is it?

It actually was Anthony Weiner's laptop, and probably got there when he synced it and accidentially got Huma Abedin's (and Clintons) emails.

Nobody's claiming that Anthony Weiner stole them off of Huma's laptop or phone or wherever.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: November 06, 2016, 06:39:18 pm »

Ex-wife, isp. And so far as I'm aware no one reputable has mentioned anything about the actual volume of emails found, number wise. More than that, only a fraction were copies of the stuff from the clinton server. If there was any mention, particularly from the actual FBI, of the discovery of stuff that wasn't duplicates I've not heard anything about it.

Though nah, serg. 3 was a number that came out early after the republican idiot spread stupidity to the world, but the sources claiming that didn't really have solid grounds for the exact number, at least at the time, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: November 06, 2016, 06:52:06 pm »

What the hell kind of cockamamie email backend works like that?

And if the investigators are using such a naive threading viewer as that would work with (and not something that can extract all typical encodings, perhaps even scan for the signatures of popular steganography methods or other obfuscations), they'd be well advised to just view the flatfiles directly1 and do it the tried and tested traditional way.

1 Reading between any silly but ubiquitous text/html formatting tags. And with MUNPACK and possibly UUDECODE utilities on standby for viewing all those annoying attached 'signature' images and unfilterable spam-as-image contents, as well as extracting any actually useful attachments.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: November 06, 2016, 06:54:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was just 3 e-mails. At least, that's how many he apparently mentioned in that letter to Congress. I haven't even heard about this "650k" figure.
Might be being confused with the (hypothetical, hyperbolic, impossible) 650,000,000 immigrants that Hillary would let in over the course of one week.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:56:11 pm by Starver »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: November 06, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »

No no, that's being confused with the 650 million ISIS terrorists she's letting in every day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: November 06, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »

Might be being confused with the (hypothetical, hyperbolic, impossible) 650,000 immigrants that Hillary would let in over the course of one week.

650,000,000 as in 650 million, is what Trump said.

edit: What MSH said.

edit2: Looks like he edited it while both of us posted, heh.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: November 06, 2016, 07:00:26 pm »

No no, that's being confused with the 650 million ISIS terrorists she's letting in every day.
Well, just gone back and edited in the right numbet of 000s to make it million, but you (edit:both!) replied (sort-of-)first.

Don't know about the "every day", but I'll let the original unvarnished (by commentators, at least!) statement stand for itself:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/31/donald-trump/trump-says-clinton-would-bring-650-million-people-/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: November 06, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »

Politifact really needs something worse than pants on fire for those blatantly absurd stuff. Like, I dunno, 'pants on fire and fire ants are eating you!'

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: November 06, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »

650k figure used here.

Aye, but that's the total number of emails on the laptop. From the article (emphasis mine): "Metadata on the device suggests there may be thousands sent to or from the private server that the Democratic nominee used while she was secretary of state." So still potentially a lot, but no one really knows yet the FBI hasn't specified, and since they've now officially closed the investigation I'm forced to assume it wasn't that many. I would assume the vast bulk of that 650k is Weiner's correspondence.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1249