Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388652 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9705 on: November 06, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »

And Trump's also not the type to be persuaded by quiet words. His campaign stuff has been trying to do that since the start of general election, to make a typical pivot to the middle. And then Trump just doubled-down in the end on his radicalism.

Besides, for each "quiet word" in one direction, there is probably going to be a "quiet word" in the other one, given that he's supported by nearly half the country, which means that his supporters are almost certainly in nearly every law and order agency in USA.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: November 06, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »

I mean more along the lines of him being told that if he refuses to concede, then the government will actually begin investigating his businesses and self.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: November 06, 2016, 03:26:20 pm »

I mean more along the lines of him being told that if he refuses to concede, then the government will actually begin investigating his businesses and self.
Given that he's already under many, many investigations, many of which are bound to resume just a couple days after the election, I think it's much more likely that he'll respond to this with his infamous "what the hell do I have to lose?"
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: November 06, 2016, 03:28:08 pm »

There's a big difference between a hundred independent attackers all trying to get their pound of flesh and those hundred being extended the support and sympathy of the federal government. Trump and his lawyers can beat most of those like he has in the past, and mitigate the damage of whichever ones succeed. It gets a lot more dangerous when the state wants him taken down.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: November 06, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »

There's a big difference between a hundred independent attackers all trying to get their pound of flesh and those hundred being extended the support and sympathy of the federal government. Trump and his lawyers can beat most of those like he has in the past, and mitigate the damage of whichever ones succeed. It gets a lot more dangerous when the state wants him taken down.
And given the number of negative comments Trump has already received from Obama, he could very well decide that the federal government is going after him anyway, and has no intention to honor any "quid pro quo" agreements that he could try to make with them.

Obama probably made a mistake by antagonizing Trump so openly. Because now he probably feels like a cornered rat, being under full impression that the USA government is all but out to get him right after the election day, when he stops enjoying the "possibly future POTUS" protection that candidates receive. And cornered rats are exceedingly dangerous.

._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: November 06, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »

That only happens if Trump doesn't have a clear understanding of incentive and goals. If he loses the election the government will only want him to concede and not cause them any shit, like is normal. They don't have any reason to want to try and unmake the Trump empire otherwise, in spite of everything that's happened this election. Their only reason to do so is if he ruins electoral confidence by refusing to concede.

It's so obvious there doesn't even need to be a formal or informal agreement, it's just an easily understood thing, like asking "why doesn't Clinton just eat Trump if he's a threat to her being elected"?

Granted, this is also from the man who said he'd try to imprison/exile Clinton, so perhaps he doesn't understand. That was also on stage, so there's no telling how genuine he is, or if Trump bothers to have a private persona at all.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: November 06, 2016, 03:50:51 pm »

Rats are, sure, but you're ascribing to trump the motive skills and competence evolution gave a rat.

That said, I'm pretty sure the government being out to get him is nothing new. The shitstain's been under intermittent state and federal investigation for decades. What's another one on the pile?

Though vis a vis exile, can't recall if trump's actually up and said it but apparently some number of his followers have gone straight to execution, now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: November 06, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »

I will say that this whole election has been the realization that so much of the current system in the US is entirely by tradition and not legal mandate.

Emphasizing this for profundity; if there's one thing I've learned working within the orbit of U.S. politics, it's that in many cases it's more important to know the tradition than it is the technical rule (sometimes in a good way, sometimes not). Acting only within the realm of what is legally allowed or not allowed allows one to be something of an asshat, to use a colorful phrase, and to a certain extent both candidates (and Congress!) have showed that.

Another important tradition not listed there is accepting election results and conceding if one loses. Gore did 'stretch' that one, definitely, but in the end he still conceded well before the current Congress ended and the formal transition of power occurred. Maybe Trump will act similarly and, if he loses, concede before the end of the calendar year (or at least before the scheduled inauguration date).
So, only follow the law when non-celebrities/proles are involved? And when your enemy screwed up royally by breaking the law?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: November 06, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »

The FBI once more decides not to prosecute Clinton.

I guess they must have all been duplicate emails or something. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how people react to this, though.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: November 06, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »

I guess they must have all been duplicate emails or something. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how people react to this, though.

Shall I predict Trump saying that it is because the FBI is in Clinton's pocket?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: November 06, 2016, 03:58:10 pm »

And given the number of negative comments Trump has already received from Obama, he could very well decide that the federal government is going after him anyway, and has no intention to honor any "quid pro quo" agreements that he could try to make with them.

Obama probably made a mistake by antagonizing Trump so openly. Because now he probably feels like a cornered rat, being under full impression that the USA government is all but out to get him right after the election day, when he stops enjoying the "possibly future POTUS" protection that candidates receive. And cornered rats are exceedingly dangerous.

Given how he likes to peddle conspiracy theories, I wouldn't be surprised if he went full on crazy (or even fuller crazier) and started trying to make the case that the government is out to get him.

Anyway, Comey tells Congress that the new stuff does not change the conclusion of the probe and that the probe is now officially closed.

Seems like partially covering his ass and wanting to drop the radioactive* potato. So, now, it seems like 'What the heck was all the fuss about then a week ago?' Besides the Republicans rabidly gobbling it up.

Also, Senator Al Franken wants to hold hearings on Comey's actions because he is worried about conduct within the FBI.

editwhiletyping: 5 new replies and damn, got ninja'd

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: November 06, 2016, 04:11:54 pm »

If by interesting you mean predictable, I guess. I'd call it painfully so but the pain has started to dull over the last week or three :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9719 on: November 06, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

>I got born just in time to witness assasination of US President and then nuclear war
Whew what a time to be alive.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1249