Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391912 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9300 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:13 am »

Can you be impeached for stuff you did before becoming President?

Nope, which is why Bill Clinton got impeached for perjury committed while in office and not for his alleged past acts, and hence my example earlier which can include murder. Doesn't mean that they aren't going to make things as difficult as possible for Clinton.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:55 am »

Man wouldn't it really suck if Hilary was impeached like... day 1 of her presidency?

Like... royally?
Bernie for VP

To my knowledge, assuming Bernie is her VP, is he would become acting president... and a new election would immediately occur.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9302 on: November 02, 2016, 08:17:55 am »

To my knowledge, assuming Bernie is her VP, is he would become acting president... and a new election would immediately occur.
So it goes from win-win to win-win

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: November 02, 2016, 08:20:14 am »

Man wouldn't it really suck if Hilary was impeached like... day 1 of her presidency?

Like... royally?
Bernie for VP

That didn't happen with Ford though. But then, Nixon resigned and we didn't go through the proccess that would have happened if an impeachment went through.

So it goes from win-win to win-win

Kaine is her VP though, not Clinton.

We'd probably see the political equivalent of a gold rush to fill that vacuum with lots of people trying to run for president.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: November 02, 2016, 08:25:02 am »

After the election is concluded, if a president-elect is unable to take office, the vice president-elect becomes the president-elect and becomes president on Inauguration day. If the president elect and vice-president-elect both are unable to take office, Congress appoints an acting president until a Speaker of The House is available, who then becomes president. A second election does not take place under any circumstances.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: November 02, 2016, 08:29:58 am »

I suppose the question is, 'is Kaine more palatable to the Republicans than Clinton?'. Aside from the whole email scandal mess and gender. edit: Actually, I think I just answered my own question there.

Kaine is pretty moderate I believe.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: November 02, 2016, 08:34:09 am »

Eh... to an extent. Fair amount of it's just being better than a lot of dems at talking across the aisle, due a good chunk to the religion angle. Though the mastery of tiberium based technology doesn't hurt.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:44 am »

Though the mastery of tiberium based technology doesn't hurt.

I wonder if Kaine is even aware of the whole internet meme/joke connecting him to Kane of Tiberium.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: November 02, 2016, 09:09:46 am »

After the election is concluded, if a president-elect is unable to take office, the vice president-elect becomes the president-elect and becomes president on Inauguration day. If the president elect and vice-president-elect both are unable to take office, Congress appoints an acting president until a Speaker of The House is available, who then becomes president. A second election does not take place under any circumstances.

Man the USA hates extra elections :P

Can't blame them... Everyone hates them.

To the extent where one reason our Minority government didn't outright fail (I'd explain how this works but who cares it is Canada) is because they know they would draw the ire of the populous if they did.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:44 am »

I wonder if Kaine is even aware of the whole internet meme/joke connecting him to Kane of Tiberium.

Is ted cruz aware that he is really the zodiac killer?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: November 02, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

No, but do you know he plays harmonica?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:19 am »

No, but do you know he plays harmonica?
Harmonicae...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: November 02, 2016, 10:38:43 am »

Maybe I'm misreading some of this but if Hillary becomes president wouldn't she be able to immediately pardon herself of any wrongdoing?  I vaguely recall reading way back in high school that the president has the power to pardon any crimes, even their own(as long as their own crime didn't happen during the presidency), even crimes under investigation and not official.

Is my information horribly outdated?  Ir was over a decade ago after all.  I would think if Hillary does become president her first act will be making all this go away.  At least legalwise.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: November 02, 2016, 11:32:26 am »

I read somewhere recently that she would have that authority, but it would be political suicide to do it.  I'm inclined to agree that it would be a bad idea, but bad ideas haven't stopped a whole lot from happening lately.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: November 02, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

Maybe I'm misreading some of this but if Hillary becomes president wouldn't she be able to immediately pardon herself of any wrongdoing?  I vaguely recall reading way back in high school that the president has the power to pardon any crimes, even their own(as long as their own crime didn't happen during the presidency), even crimes under investigation and not official.

Is my information horribly outdated?  Ir was over a decade ago after all.  I would think if Hillary does become president her first act will be making all this go away.  At least legalwise.

She hasn't been convicted of anything that she can pardon herself for, and no, the president can't immediately pardon themselves of any wrongdoing if impeached. I have no idea if they actually can pardon themselves for previous crimes.

She'll definetly be motivated to try and clear things out and unify things, no surprise there, but the Republicans are hellbent on going after her no matter what.

I read somewhere recently that she would have that authority, but it would be political suicide to do it.  I'm inclined to agree that it would be a bad idea, but bad ideas haven't stopped a whole lot from happening lately.

She'd have to be convicted of something in a court of law* (whether rightfully or wrongly) in order to pardon herself, she can't pardon alleged acts, which isn't how the pardons work anyway.

*No, the court of public opinion and the court of right wing derpheads don't count.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:38:16 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1249