Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388527 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6600 on: October 11, 2016, 03:15:33 am »

Do remember that Asante doesn't have a magical sphere of diplomatic invincibility. If he did shit like leaking NORAD codes or nuclear material the equadorians would drop him like a rotten turd
Somebody didn't pay attention in their Diplomancy classes. Sphere of invincibility is a mid-level skill at best.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: October 11, 2016, 03:39:44 am »

I hear Kissinger could cast it as a free action, but yeah, it is good to remember that the US government doesn't do a lot of stuff because it's still kinda in the habit of presenting an image to the rest of the world that we're the big guy making sure the other big guy doesn't get to just decide he wants your lunch money, shoes, and chair.

I mean, yeah, we are known for encouraging some of the other kids to pick fights with certain kids those guys are rooting for, "ooooh, betcha won't smack him in the jaw!" and frankly we're terrible about breaking the squabbles up or providing further encouragement, plus the other big guy had to be hospitalized for a bit there, hasn't really been the same, but deep down we're secretly glad he's back strutting around the playground intimidating the other kids, because we're pretty sure that new exchange student knows kung fu or some shit.

It would be a pretty big hit, not just to our reputation, but to our pride, if we decided start going around straight up Debo'ing stuff from the other kids, nobody could really do anything about it except ask the other big dudes for help, and the idea of getting in a scuffle with our old rival and the new kid grows less appealing every day.

So no worries Ecuador, we're not gonna beat you up over the dude crashing at your pad on the other side of town, I mean, we could... nah, you know what, gimme them shoes!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: October 11, 2016, 03:46:41 am »

Sometimes I get insomnia.  Horrible things happen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: October 11, 2016, 03:51:23 am »

I hear Kissinger could cast it as a free action, but yeah, it is good to remember that the US government doesn't do a lot of stuff because it's still kinda in the habit of presenting an image to the rest of the world that we're the big guy making sure the other big guy doesn't get to just decide he wants your lunch money, shoes, and chair.

I mean, yeah, we are known for encouraging some of the other kids to pick fights with certain kids those guys are rooting for, "ooooh, betcha won't smack him in the jaw!" and frankly we're terrible about breaking the squabbles up or providing further encouragement, plus the other big guy had to be hospitalized for a bit there, hasn't really been the same, but deep down we're secretly glad he's back strutting around the playground intimidating the other kids, because we're pretty sure that new exchange student knows kung fu or some shit.

It would be a pretty big hit, not just to our reputation, but to our pride, if we decided start going around straight up Debo'ing stuff from the other kids, nobody could really do anything about it except ask the other big dudes for help, and the idea of getting in a scuffle with our old rival and the new kid grows less appealing every day.

So no worries Ecuador, we're not gonna beat you up over the dude crashing at your pad on the other side of town, I mean, we could... nah, you know what, gimme them shoes!
The idea is something that I've seen done in alternate history a couple of times, probably most prominently Stewart Slade's The Big One, where the UK and USSR get ravaged and the US ends up ending WWII by nuking Germany into oblivion. Cue realization of sole superpower status and gradual attempt at world conquest. It's kind of disturbing, because the US doesn't stop being recognizably the US or anything but foreign policy turns into "obey or die in nuclear armageddon".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:41 am »

Well that's a bright cheery outcome, like thermonuclear inferno bright and cheery.

Sometimes I get insomnia.  Horrible things happen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well played.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:48 am »

It's official, Maniac's Republican.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: October 11, 2016, 05:38:54 am »

It's part of an exchange program. We sent him over and got Glenn Beck in return (who, while not exactly endorsing Clinton, has come out full-stop in saying that Trump must be stopped, even if that means Clinton becomes President).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:15 am »

America squandered our chance at global hegemony after the USSR collapsed, and while that's probably a good thing, there's a lot of problems we're facing today that a US-dominated world could stave off. Space debris mitigation, for example, would be the much simpler task of rigorous controls on space combined with a ground-based laser for deorbiting defunct or troublesome objects.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:39 am »

Por que?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: October 11, 2016, 09:40:46 am »

Por que?

You made up a ridiculous conspiracy theory on Clinton?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:05 am »

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:02:43 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: October 11, 2016, 10:30:32 am »

America squandered our chance at global hegemony after the USSR collapsed, and while that's probably a good thing, there's a lot of problems we're facing today that a US-dominated world could stave off. Space debris mitigation, for example, would be the much simpler task of rigorous controls on space combined with a ground-based laser for deorbiting defunct or troublesome objects.
Not to mention creating the best job in the history of mankind.

"What do you do for a living?"
"I blast space junk with a laser."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: October 11, 2016, 11:00:31 am »

Not to mention creating the best job in the history of mankind.

"What do you do for a living?"
"I blast space junk with a laser."
Asteroids, IRL edition.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6614 on: October 11, 2016, 11:05:26 am »

At the age of 164, the Republican party died today after long illness. It is survived by its heir, the Libertarian Party, and its illegitimate child, the Tea Party.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:12:06 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1249