Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388996 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5880 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:36 pm »

So, going by the 538 model we might actually be seeing a return of the Clinton landslide scenario. It's not quite back to the days in September when Texas was at risk, but it could get there if Donald keeps fucking up the debates.

And according to that, Johnson is going to get 6% of the popular vote. 5% is needed for the Libertarians to get funding and stuff for the next election, right?

Looking at wikipedia, Nader got 2.75% of the popular vote in 2000. If slightly less than 3% was enough to make people claim that he stole the vote from Gore (or Bush or whoever), then the Republicans are certainly going to be screaming that the vote got stolen from them.

Ross Perot got bigger numbers in 1992 and 1996 though.

Also, on Donald Trump screwing up the debate, he did a "Town Hall" today, and I say that with air quotes because it wasn't even a real town hall, it was carefully set up with handpicked audience members and handpicked questions by the campaign and they were all softball questions apparently.

I hear Hillary doesn't do too great with Town Halls either, just not her thing (I'm sure Bill would coach her though), so we'll just have to see.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:40:36 pm by smjjames »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: October 06, 2016, 08:59:04 pm »

Every time I hear or see the words "town hall" in the context of political speeches, I feel the fleeting urge to burn down a post office, or go off to become a domestic ecoterrorist.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:27 pm »

Every time I hear or see the words "town hall" in the context of political speeches, I feel the fleeting urge to burn down a post office, or go off to become a domestic ecoterrorist.

Well, it's the format, and could you explain the problem with it?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: October 06, 2016, 09:05:20 pm »

It's so blatantly kitschy, to see a politician at the national level pretend like that's a reasonable audience, or that this fantasy of the "local town hall gathering place" has any relevance for the greater part of the population. It's like one step above kissing babies and cutting ribbons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: October 06, 2016, 09:09:30 pm »

It's so blatantly kitschy, to see a politician at the national level pretend like that's a reasonable audience, or that this fantasy of the "local town hall gathering place" has any relevance for the greater part of the population. It's like one step above kissing babies and cutting ribbons.

It's relevant to the local population, which is the main idea.

What Trump and his campaign did was completely NOT a town hall anyway. Seemed to be more of a 'lets make Trump confident in himself.' thing.

Also, something I've realized, he's going to have to watch his body language towards Clinton in that debate because coming off as aggressive like Clinton's senate opponent did is only going to come out bad for him.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:15:28 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: October 06, 2016, 09:55:16 pm »

then the Republicans are certainly going to be screaming that the vote got stolen from them.

This has been true every presidential election they haven't won during my lifetime.

Every. Damn. Time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: October 06, 2016, 10:37:56 pm »

then the Republicans are certainly going to be screaming that the vote got stolen from them.

This has been true every presidential election they haven't won during my lifetime.

Every. Damn. Time.

I meant stolen by the Libertarians via Gary Johnson, not the usual banter coming from the losing party. Whoever wins, Gary Johnson is likely to end up a scapegoat for siphoning votes away and costing the losing party the White House.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: October 06, 2016, 10:40:05 pm »

The Aleppo Curse will become a political stereotype for decades to come. Or maybe not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: October 06, 2016, 11:11:55 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: October 06, 2016, 11:17:39 pm »

I don't pray, but if any supernatural powers are out there listening: Please, please compel Donald Trump to spend the next week complaining about the damage to his fancy vacation home on national television.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: October 06, 2016, 11:19:10 pm »

Grisha doesn't listen unless you pray.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: October 06, 2016, 11:20:19 pm »

Every. Damn. Time.
Meh, they took it relatively quietly in 1996. They kinda knew Dole was lukewarm, even if it galled them that Clinton was getting a 2nd term after spending half of the first term explicitly trying to keep him from doing anything (gee, why does that sound familiar....)

All the others though...yes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: October 06, 2016, 11:24:31 pm »

Nope, Bill Clinton didn't get a majority, not my president.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: October 07, 2016, 12:05:36 am »

Nope, Bill Clinton didn't get a majority, not my president.
Don't particularly remember that being bandied about by anyone other than the budding right-wing talkshow circuit. Limbaugh might have said it, but most people weren't, even Republicans.

I mean, shit...it was a 220-point drubbing in the Electoral College. And even if you added all Perot's votes to Dole's, Clinton would still have narrowly won the popular vote.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: October 07, 2016, 12:07:22 am »

Well obviously you dont have close minded religious conservatives in North Carolina.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 1249