Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390248 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5550 on: October 03, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-really-really-needs-to-win-florida/

Looks like Florida is going to be potentially nervewracking again. Not surprising since it's a swing state (with Texas and California being safe republican and democrat states, respectively), but it'll remain to be seen whether any problems arise out of it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: October 03, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

Trump's still not pouring much money or groundwork into the campaign, right? There's some small chance this next month or so will be less obnoxious than it could be?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: October 03, 2016, 06:18:25 pm »

On the other hand, one could suppose that democrats might just come back to their traditional northern strategy + popular vice president state and stonerland: http://www.270towin.com/maps/Ebj6m
In that case the must win state becomes New Hampshire.

This would be the scenario that assumes that Trump doesn't actually matter that much.  And I think there is something to be said for that.  Cuz Trump might be openly embracing the alt-right but this is a fault line that has been in American politics for a long, long time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: October 03, 2016, 06:30:14 pm »

Trump's still not pouring much money or groundwork into the campaign, right? There's some small chance this next month or so will be less obnoxious than it could be?

Less obnoxious how?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: October 03, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »

Looks like Florida is going to be potentially nervewracking again. Not surprising since it's a swing state (with Texas and California being safe republican and democrat states, respectively), but it'll remain to be seen whether any problems arise out of it.

God it would be the height of irony if Trump loses Florida and demands a recount of the state that gave a Democrat the win.

What is it with Florida, man? Is it just all the retirees or does the entire state sit at the junction of several alternate universes?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: October 03, 2016, 06:43:36 pm »

No, that's Australia. I'm pretty sure the Seminole were guarding some dark artifact of the antediluvian empires that once walked the world of man, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: October 03, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »

Piers Anthony thinks there's something about Florida.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xanth

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:22 pm »

God it would be the height of irony if Trump loses Florida and demands a recount of the state that gave a Democrat the win.

What is it with Florida, man? Is it just all the retirees or does the entire state sit at the junction of several alternate universes?

I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a recount of everywhere that he had a close or maybe a large loss and/or thought something was funky in the state.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: October 03, 2016, 06:57:15 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if he demands a recount everywhere.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: October 03, 2016, 06:58:27 pm »

No, that's Australia. I'm pretty sure the Seminole were guarding some dark artifact of the antediluvian empires that once walked the world of man, though.
Fun fact: the antipode of Florida lies in the Indian Ocean off the west coast of Australia, the "Anti-Bermuda Triangle" would touch the southwest coast of Australia. NC and Virginia might be a bit closer to the Australian antipode, but the leakage from the intersection of the dimensions of pain, horror, and death (a.k.a. Australia) lensed through the concentrations of mass could plausibly explain the insanity which we call Homo Floridianensis, or Florida Man.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:26 pm »

Less obnoxious how?
Less political ads, less legwork nits, etc., etc., etc.

could swear I've answered this question like a dozen times over the years. The retirees are only part of the problem, and there's no need for extra mystical BS. Already plenty of swamp magic and burial grounds, among all the other stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: October 03, 2016, 07:16:05 pm »

I've been to Florida many times, and I'll tell you: you know you're in a place of power. When you're in the wilderness, canoeing out in the swamps, you know you're in a place foreign to humanity. Mere inches of wood and plastic protect you from an environment where everything small and large will seek to drain your blood and end your life. In some places the water is literally acid, leeched from the trees like some giant perverse tea infusion.

Even in the cities the knowledge of Florida's presence cannot be escaped. The people are buffered by the atmosphere of dread and aggression that flows like a cloud through the air. Bums are aggressive, drunks are easily attracted, even the wealthy obsessed with their stance as if they are fully aware that they would be consumed should they show weakness.

The clouds lie heavy over Orlando and the storms threaten every day to pour down without warning, a constant reminder that the veneer of concrete and steel placed atop the lands are not home to it, but merely a scabbed wound in the topography that is tolerated for today, and perhaps if you are lucky for tomorrow. None who are not in denial have not borne witness in their own minds to the only possible future of these places, when the waters rise up and scrub it all away to be replaced and refilled after so many decades by the unstoppable verdant biomass that is Florida.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: October 03, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »

could swear I've answered this question like a dozen times over the years. The retirees are only part of the problem, and there's no need for extra mystical BS. Already plenty of swamp magic and burial grounds, among all the other stuff.

Yeah, I kinda had that feeling when I was asking it, like I've seen it really explained somewhere before.

I wouldn't be surprised if he demands a recount everywhere.

Touche'. The monumental headache that would cause seems like the kind of poor loser dick move Trump would be capable of. On the other hand, the election might be close enough it'd matter. As sad as that fact would be.

I've been to Florida many times, and I'll tell you: you know you're in a place of power. When you're in the wilderness, canoeing out in the swamps, you know you're in a place foreign to humanity. Mere inches of wood and plastic protect you from an environment where everything small and large will seek to drain your blood and end your life. In some places the water is literally acid, leeched from the trees like some giant perverse tea infusion.

Even in the cities the knowledge of Florida's presence cannot be escaped. The people are buffered by the atmosphere of dread and aggression that flows like a cloud through the air. Bums are aggressive, drunks are easily attracted, even the wealthy obsessed with their stance as if they are fully aware that they would be consumed should they show weakness.

The clouds lie heavy over Orlando and the storms threaten every day to pour down without warning, a constant reminder that the veneer of concrete and steel placed atop the lands are not home to it, but merely a scabbed wound in the topography that is tolerated for today, and perhaps if you are lucky for tomorrow. None who are not in denial have not borne witness in their own minds to the only possible future of these places, when the waters rise up and scrub it all away to be replaced and refilled after so many decades by the unstoppable verdant biomass that is Florida.

Someone's been reading the 40k thread.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: October 03, 2016, 11:01:43 pm »

On the bright side, Melbourne is really nice.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: October 04, 2016, 12:48:00 am »

Well, compared to florida, sure it is. Not a high bar to pass.

Could actually swear I remember the fatality rate vis a vis death via animal is either roughly on par or higher in florida than australia, too. Theoretically it's not saying that much since the actual death rate in either isn't high when it comes to the reality of things, but... yeah. Yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1249