Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389945 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5490 on: October 02, 2016, 06:42:44 pm »

If something happened to kill that many of them in such a short time span, we'd probably be voting for Zombie Hillary Clinton vs. Zombie Donald Trump, because zombies are now roaming the Earth.

In which case, 2nd Amendment stances are suddenly going to be way more important. And there's going to be a bit less concern about police brutality. And Jill Stein would probably be busy blaming Monsanto and standing up for zombie rights.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: October 02, 2016, 06:43:19 pm »

But there's no other option but to respect the electors, so long as they reach a majority. Even if Congress was stupid enough to try a power grab against a theoretical Stein presidency, it'd be immediately invalidated by the courts because it's blatantly unconstitutional. Your scenario falls apart the moment you look at it for more than a couple of seconds.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: October 02, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »

A. The courts would probably not object for the sake of their political connections and not causing a domestic insurgency.

B. Even if they did try to object, see previous latin phrase.

Getting to a point like that is so extreme it would never even be considered before we started experiencing 2016, but if it did happen any "but the Constitution" would be meaningless.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:48:53 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: October 02, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »

Fair enough, but if it's that much of a disaster it might as well keep going. More likely they would actually just count the electors as "Democrat and Republican" instead of by person and go from there, but if they didn't happen there's no way they'd respect the electors.

I'm thinking you dont understand the process here?

State governments certify lists of electors before the election.  When people vote for the candidates they are actually voting for the list of electors in their state.  So if I vote for Donald Trump in Maryland, I am actually voting for the list of electors who have signed a pledge to cast their votes for Donald Trump.  Generally speaking state law says that the state is required to certify the electors chosen by the vote.  Changing state law after the election would result in one hell of a lawsuit and probably result in a lot of impeachments.

So if Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine are in the same plane and it crashes on November 7th, the democrats would just scramble to pick a new candidate in a hurry.  Then Obama would go on the TV and tell people "Everyone, cast your votes for Hillary Clinton and when you do it will be a vote for Biden/Warren/O'Malley and a vote to stop Donald Trump."  And because it would be the news story of the century, everyone would pay attention and every news anchor in the country would explain constantly that a vote for Clinton/Kaine is actually a vote for whoever.

Then the vote would happen (and probably favor the democrats) and after the election all the Clinton electors would have plenty of time to talk things over and make sure they all agree.  Then they cast their votes in January for whoever they pick.  You might have a bunch of lawsuits at this point in the process between November 8th and January in which case all sorts of constitutional law comes into play but I'm thinking it's unlikely the courts change the result.

At no point in the process does congress enter into it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: October 02, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

Also, you know, a thought had occured to me. If this were to happen, it would require ALL of the Reps to be present, especially on the republican side, no lame excuses for skipping out.

As for how, well, they'd just use the same system they use for voting on bills and stuff.

A. The courts would probably not object for the sake of their political connections and not causing a domestic insurgency.

B. Even if they did try to object, see previous latin phrase.

Getting to a point like that is so extreme it would never even be considered before we started experiencing 2016, but if it did happen any "but the Constitution" would be meaningless.

SCOTUS would be of absolutely no help here because of the 4-4 split.

Wait, I thought we were talking about the scenario where it gets thrown to the House and not the Electoral College electors?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: October 02, 2016, 06:52:50 pm »

I know perfectly well how it all works, but I'm telling you "how it works" doesn't matter in our fantastic Worst Case Scenario. Everybody would fall all over themselves, especially because, again, I'm fiating Jill Stein winning the election to begin with.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: October 02, 2016, 06:54:55 pm »

It's a lazy scenario then.  People dont just say "oh no something bad happen, better start ignoring everything".  There is a very clear way to resolve this situation.  People wouldn't ignore the very obvious answer for no reason whatsoever.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:58 pm »

There's no very obvious solution for "JILL STEIN GONNA BE PRESIDENT" other than to let her be President, which they wouldn't stomach, especially not after the sudden deaths of the Everybody.

We were discussing something fantastic to begin with, I cannot believe this has become an actual argument.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: October 02, 2016, 06:59:04 pm »

There's no very obvious solution for "JILL STEIN GONNA BE PRESIDENT"

Two economists are on a ship which sinks and they wash up on a sandy island.  They find a crate full of canned food on the island.  They sit around wondering how to get at the food.  Finally one of them comes up with a plan.
"Okay assume for a moment that we have a can opener..."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: October 02, 2016, 06:59:17 pm »

What, exactly, prevents the Congress from letting her to be the President, only to impeach her few days later? Unlike the congress putsch variant, impeachment is perfectly legal.
._.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: October 02, 2016, 07:00:16 pm »

What, exactly, prevents the Congress from letting her to be the President, only to impeach her few days later? Unlike the congress putsch variant, impeachment is perfectly legal.
What high crimes and misdemeanors has she committed?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: October 02, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »

There's no very obvious solution for "JILL STEIN GONNA BE PRESIDENT"

Two economists are on a ship which sinks and they wash up on a sandy island.  They find a crate full of canned food on the island.  They sit around wondering how to get at the food.  Finally one of them comes up with a plan.
"Okay assume for a moment that we have a can opener..."
"Guess we'll just bash it open with a rock and hope we don't get cholera"

Jesus christ, I try to have a bit of fun with nonsense and everybody gets all up in arms. I should hope the part where God Almighty strikes down Berine Sanders right before election day made it clear how seriously this should be taken (about as seriously as anybody takes the rule of law while it's mid-collapse).
What high crimes and misdemeanors has she committed?
Being Jill Stein.
Bernie sticks up for Hillary over her leaked comments about his supporters.
Something something shillary something something betrayed something something trilateral commission something something bought and paid for.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: October 02, 2016, 07:13:49 pm »

I think if you wait a week or two, Jill Stein would commit a high crime or misdemeanor.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: October 02, 2016, 07:15:40 pm »

Doesn't she already have an arrest record? Though impeachment for spray-painting a bulldozer would be about the lamest thing ever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1249