Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393003 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4350 on: September 19, 2016, 02:10:28 am »

The first debate needs to happen already.
Haven't you heard? There aren't going to be any debates. Trump refused.
5 more explosives have been found in New Jersey, stashed in a backpack deposited in a garbage can at New Jersey's train station. One bomb detonated when a robot tried defusing it. FBI is trying to defuse the other four as we speak.
I'm surprised nobody has witnessed the bomber yet. The Boston Bombers were both spotted in one, though people only figured out what they saw after the fact. That's some serious luck.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: September 19, 2016, 02:28:02 am »

It's hard to remember all the crazy stuff stein has done.  The vaxxing and wifi is the memorable stuff but she is also into russian trolling and printing money as a major form of government revenue.  Oh and how about this gem? https://i.redd.it/4jrl42xo5cmx.png
http://www.sciencealert.com/us-presidential-candidate-jill-stein-thinks-wi-fi-is-a-threat-to-children-s-health
While people can actually experience symptoms such as persistent headaches, nausea, mental fog, and dizziness when exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMF), researchers have overwhelmingly put this down to something known as the psychogenic phenomenon, or the 'nocebo effect'.
Interestingly, MSG allergy seems to be the same way. As soon as they do blind testing, the supposed symptoms stop appearing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: September 19, 2016, 05:02:38 am »

The first debate needs to happen already.
Haven't you heard? There aren't going to be any debates. Trump refused.

Wut?

Also, it just struck me as hilarious that you guys spend all your time dissing Florida as the crasy part, and then let them choose your president.

P.S. Also, can y'all stop saying homeopathy doesn't work? It works. Pretty well even. Just not better than a placebo, but a placebo can be a rather effective thing. Since real doctors can't prescribe them (as they're not allowed to lie to their patient), homeopath give society a great service by delivering sugar pills with an authoritative voice.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: September 19, 2016, 05:19:34 am »

P.S. Also, can y'all stop saying homeopathy doesn't work? It works. Pretty well even. Just not better than a placebo, but a placebo can be a rather effective thing. Since real doctors can't prescribe them (as they're not allowed to lie to their patient), homeopath give society a great service by delivering sugar pills with an authoritative voice.

Well, I do suppose homeopathic painkiller abuse is probably better for you than prescription painkiller abuse. Probably better than cough syrup abuse as well. So there's that silver lining!

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: September 19, 2016, 05:24:51 am »

Homeopathy works? even its underlying principle isn't valid, let alone its diluted remedies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: September 19, 2016, 05:41:23 am »

Well, it makes its practitioners money at the expense of people made vulnerable by illness and whatnot. If you think of it as a money making scam instead of medicine (which is closer to the truth of it, so far as I'm aware), then it's working just fine.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: September 19, 2016, 05:49:50 am »

Eh, I think he's referring to the placebo effect they actually have.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: September 19, 2016, 05:50:43 am »

That great empty spot below Sheb's post? It's not actually empty.

Just not better than a placebo, but a placebo can be a rather effective thing. Since real doctors can't prescribe them (as they're not allowed to lie to their patient), homeopath give society a great service by delivering sugar pills with an authoritative voice.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: September 19, 2016, 05:54:55 am »

Hey, I was right! I like being right. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: September 19, 2016, 06:01:03 am »

Heh, i need a do'h icon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: September 19, 2016, 06:48:07 am »

Didn't notice, heh. Still... fairly wrong, though. Or rather there's a number of other things (we've got this whole vitamin industry that actually does helpful things at times, ferex) that actually do something that could be used for that purpose instead. Instead of relying on an outright scam, and letting fraudsters (or crazy folks/gullible idiots) exploit our population and feed the weaker among us buckets of sodding lies.

Also can remember good ol' homeopathy has a noted inclination towards making the folks that use it and believe it works not go to the goddamn doctor. Or not listen when they do. I'd say most or all of its efficacy at providing placebos is offset by that alone, never mind all the other problems with it. Works isn't the word I'd use.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: September 19, 2016, 08:21:07 am »

Well, I do suppose homeopathic painkiller abuse is probably better for you than prescription painkiller abuse. Probably better than cough syrup abuse as well. So there's that silver lining!
Do you abuse homeopathic drugs by taking less of them?
:philosoraptor.gif

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: September 19, 2016, 08:29:23 am »

Didn't notice, heh. Still... fairly wrong, though. Or rather there's a number of other things (we've got this whole vitamin industry that actually does helpful things at times, ferex) that actually do something that could be used for that purpose instead. Instead of relying on an outright scam, and letting fraudsters (or crazy folks/gullible idiots) exploit our population and feed the weaker among us buckets of sodding lies.

Also can remember good ol' homeopathy has a noted inclination towards making the folks that use it and believe it works not go to the goddamn doctor. Or not listen when they do. I'd say most or all of its efficacy at providing placebos is offset by that alone, never mind all the other problems with it. Works isn't the word I'd use.

Well, for a placebo to be effective, the person that gives it must be convinced that it's working. When you look at placebo research, it's impressive how much homeopathy is optimized to maximize it.

As for the "replacing real medicine", well, at least around these parts homeopaths are required not to discourage patients from going to real doctor and the like.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:04 am »

I'm having a hard time summoning pity for Hillary Clinton not getting fair treatment from the media, considering the primary.

It wasn't until the New York primary that anyone bothered to ask Bernie Sanders what his plan to break up the banks was.  He already had no chance of winning.

Awww but the media treated poor little bernie bad when they did nothing but talk about how he excited people and americans are unsatisfied with the status quo.

As for the "replacing real medicine", well, at least around these parts homeopaths are required not to discourage patients from going to real doctor and the like.

Well around these parts they bill themselves as an alternative to medicine.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:39:44 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:23 am »

Well around these parts they bill themselves as an alternative to medicine.

Well, I got to find SOMETHING to feel smugly superior about, no?

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1249