Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390007 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3585 on: September 01, 2016, 11:47:51 am »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:30 am »

Coulda sworn that was posted before. Maybe it was shared around here at work.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3587 on: September 01, 2016, 11:56:48 am »

I'm still reeling over the massive flip-flopping. Was the whole idea for trump to attract a bunch of conservatives and then brainwash them into becoming more liberal?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:07 pm »

No, see, it's not Trump that flip flopped.

It was you. It's always been you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 01, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »

Trump gave a big speech last night about how he's going to save america by deporting all of the illegal immigrants. He even got mothers of all the victims to come up on stage with him and tell their stories.

The problem is, statistically, illegal immigrants make up an extreme minority of violent crime, and resources for dealing with crime are limited. For every one person Trump saves from an illegal immigrant, ten others will be violently killed by registered citizens while the authorities are too busy kicking in doors and dragging little Latino girls out and carrying them halfway across mexico.

But honestly, my biggest gripe with Trump is the way he repeats everything he says, like his audiences are made up of little kids with ADD who can't bother to pay attention the first time he says something. I feel bad for his real kids having to grow up with that every day.

Actually it is even more then that. Illegal immigrants commit less crime in general (outside... you know... being an illegal immigrant) usually to keep low.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: September 01, 2016, 12:31:30 pm »

Actually it is even more then that. Illegal immigrants commit less crime in general (outside... you know... being an illegal immigrant) usually to keep low.

Well, technically every second they're in the country they are committing at least one crime! It all adds up to a lot of background crime in the neighborhood, far above the average dosage. Live near a sweatshop and you'll be absorbing those millicapones like nobody's business.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:43 pm »

Well, technically every second they're in the country they are committing at least one crime! It all adds up to a lot of background crime in the neighborhood, far above the average dosage. Live near a sweatshop and you'll be absorbing those millicapones like nobody's business.

I do love how America takes full advantage of their illegal immigrants and in many ways encourages them...

But blames the immigrants for it...

"How DARE you work in our sweat shops!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: September 01, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »

Most people don't think like that though. Business leaders were totally like "Wew, let all those immigrants in". In fact it was unions who had to be convinced to support Immigration reform (which they eventually did). In terms of actual special interest groups, most are supportive of Immigration reform. It's the exceptions that torpedoed it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:15 pm »

Obviously there's a big difference between violent crime and, say, abetting employers in circumventing workplace safety and payroll guideliness.

They're essentially scabs.  They don't *want* to weaken the bargaining position of American workers, but they're doing so.  It's rather selfish, even though it sucks for them too.  The corporations are the only ones winning here.

The counterpoint, that Americans aren't willing to do such jobs, is something I don't believe.  Young unemployed Americans with massive debt are willing, they just aren't willing to do it under the table for illegally low compensation.

But is all that unregulated, dirt-cheap labor supporting our way of life?  Sure, if you believe in trickle-down economics. 

(This is why the answer is amnesty of course.  Get them the wages and protections they deserve, by making them citizens, at the same time putting them on a level playing field with the rest of us)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: September 01, 2016, 02:17:28 pm »

Meh...I'd be willing to bet more jobs have been "stolen" by people who never left their home countries than have been by illegal immigrants. Just harder to get riled up by folks you never see.

I've had my job offshore to India three times in my career so far. I have never lost my job to an immigrant. Albeit, blue-collar and white-collar jobs are drastically different in that respect. Though even blue collar jobs vary by industry.

If you're a chicken plucker or dishwasher, you're at risk of losing out to illegal immigrants.
If you're a textile worker or furniture mill worker, you're probably going to lose your job to offshoring.

All told, I think offshoring has a far more deleterious effect on American workers than hiring under the tables.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: September 01, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »

Oh yeah, that easily could be.  Whole industries keep moving overseas for cheaper labor and less taxes, and we keep paying them because they can undercut companies that stick with our labor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: September 01, 2016, 02:26:27 pm »

And this is where Trump had an initial advantage -- hitting offshoring and immigration reform simultaneously made for a strong appeal to workers. But you'll notice he's kinda gone silent about offshoring and corporate inversions and other assorted corporate tomfuckery, and is focusing on the low-hanging hatefruit of immigration.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:05 pm »

And this is where Trump had an initial advantage -- hitting offshoring and immigration reform simultaneously made for a strong appeal to workers. But you'll notice he's kinda gone silent about offshoring and corporate inversions and other assorted corporate tomfuckery, and is focusing on the low-hanging hatefruit of immigration.

Probably because the news keeps coming that half of his business is based on importing foreign workers.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: September 01, 2016, 02:37:44 pm »

H1Bs are a whole nother ball of wax -- the growing trend of "offshoring onshore". That's another area in heavy need of reform.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »

He's not even that good of an orator. But I guess he has the skills for the demographic he's targeting. It's sad but true that his style actually works for a certain segment of the population. Possibly the segment that watches a lot of infomercials.
Trump loves the poorly educated.

He said that, not me. I would actually feel sorry for repeating this, but having forced myself to watch his badly-composed (presumably entirely off-the-cuff) rally speeches and compared them to his opponents (both internal and external), I can only assume he has some sort of 'je ne sais pas' (beyond the "if you're at my rally (and not a comspicuous protestor who gets thrown out), of course you're gonna cheer everything I say" thing) that attracts people.

(If you reply to a snippet, you're free to snip the containing spoiler out, too... That's just to reduce the wall-of-texticity.)
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1249