Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389984 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3570 on: August 31, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »

Umm....given that Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world (by population), you probably *should* know a bit more about it. Just sayin

Population size doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.
I beg to differ, Liechtenstein's epicness notwithstanding.

So Trump and Pena Nieto talked about The Wall. But in what may be another "pivot", they didn't discuss who'd pay for it.

Only according to Trump. Tweet reads, "From the beginning of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico would not pay for the wall".
See, they didn't discuss who would pay for it, only who wouldn't pay for it.[/pierson]

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: August 31, 2016, 06:33:28 pm »

Listen to Trump, the man knows how to get things built that aren't paid for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: August 31, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »

Listen to Trump, the man knows how to get things built that aren't paid for.

Man, that would be a lot funnier if it wasn't linked to him destituting a lot of good hard working people... on purpose.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »

Hey guys, I know where Mexico is on a map. Can I be elected God Emperor yet?

You want to know who doesn't know where Mexico is on the map? Pena Nieto. If he did, he would have realized that Mexico is on America's southern border, and is thus the country that Trump spends all day long making fun of. Seems like Pena Nieto, who apparently has a 23% approval rating, has decided to cast his lot with the one person in Mexico more universally reviled than he was (Trump is currently polling at 2% in Mexico). Points to him. Many cowardly politicians would read the writing on the wall and say "wow my population hates this guy, I bet I could win some brownie points by making fun of him." Other, more fringe elements, would have done so in some deluded sense that the respect of their nation and the honor of their countrymen were at stake. But no. No one else would have had the boldness of character or clarity of action to give a podium to a man who has derided him, his country, and his countrymen.

Let's give it up for Pena Nieto!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: August 31, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »

I listened to their combined speech thing. Thing is, this is the most presidential, reasonable, diplomatic and leader-like Trump has sounded. His messaging to Mexico after that meeting was, while on the conservative, isolationist side, not really all that crazy. The only major problem with it was how it contrasted with all the stuff he's been saying up until the last few days. The people that think he's crazy aren't going to be convinced by one little conversation with a hated foreign leader and the people who supported him are going "wait... that's not what you said before...."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »

Just like Clinton isn't actually dishonest precisely, she's just a lawyer, and acts like one, and there's a reason the profession is mocked so much; legal technicalities don't feel like actual honesty. They feel like the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of it.

No because it fits a narrative when Clinton is called guilty.  Bernie Sanders broke both the spirit and the letter of campaign finance laws but nobody gives a shit because the narrative with Bernie Sanders is the $27 dollar donation.  Clinton is distrustful of the media because they treat her the way a pack of jackals treat a wounded gazelle.  The media in turn picks up on the distrust and responds by examining every detail for guilt.  It's a glorious vicious circle.

It's not a problem to act like a lawyer.  Obama acts like a lawyer and the press loves him.  Obama just made use of the old myths and platitudes the press loves about transforming politics and ignoring obvious partisan realities.  Eventually he moved on but only after an appropriate amount of time spent getting punched in the face to show the press he tried.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: August 31, 2016, 10:17:42 pm »

It could well go in the opposite direction, sluissa. The people on the fence see he's not utterly insane when push comes to shove, while the people supporting him get external-ish confirmation of the competence of their candidate in world politics.

Also, mainiac, people distrusted Clinton well before this election. Trump always makes a big deal about the media being biased against him too. Favorability ratings for both candidates are extremely poor, and it's just as easy to say that 'the media distrusts me so of course they find things to justify that' is part of your narrative. It's real easy to claim one's narrative is correct, like 'the only reason anyone distrusts clinton is because of the media being mean', versus 'how many scandals has the clinton family been involved in, I mean jesus people you're either more prone to them or a hell of a lot worse at covering them'.

Obama was a lawyer; he didn't act like one. Making use of old myths is not acting like a lawyer. It's fulfilling an archetype people like. People don't like the lawyer archetype; they like the competence it brings, not the 'technically I did nothing wrong' stuff politicians will pull.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: August 31, 2016, 11:08:04 pm »

I listened to their combined speech thing. Thing is, this is the most presidential, reasonable, diplomatic and leader-like Trump has sounded. His messaging to Mexico after that meeting was, while on the conservative, isolationist side, not really all that crazy. The only major problem with it was how it contrasted with all the stuff he's been saying up until the last few days. The people that think he's crazy aren't going to be convinced by one little conversation with a hated foreign leader and the people who supported him are going "wait... that's not what you said before...."
I missed the speech, but this alone is just...what.

Giuliani, Jeff Sessions sport "Make Mexico Great Again Also" hats prior to Trump's speech
This is not satire. This is a thing that happened.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: September 01, 2016, 05:46:54 am »

I get annoyed when people seriously make such sweeping generalizations of Americans,
http://xkcd.com/850_large/
(Hover-text is "It's not our fault we caught a group on their way home from a geography bee. And they taught us that Uzbekistan is one of the world's two doubly-landlocked countries!")

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 01, 2016, 07:08:00 am »

Where can I find the moderation log? Looks like the post i made yesterday with a prison architect screenie about Hillary was removed. I have no idea why.

DISREGARD I'm going senile
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:25:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: September 01, 2016, 07:12:56 am »

Where can I find the moderation log? Looks like the post i made yesterday with a prison architect screenie about Hillary was removed. I have no idea why.
This is The Moderation Log that I know of, but only covers bans (or similar, perhaps, just not currently so), not other administration such as yours.

(I saw your post not an hour or two ago, whilst finally catching up, BTW.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 01, 2016, 07:24:51 am »

DOH. I'm getting old. Apparently I made that post earlier than I remembered. It's still there, just about 5 pages further back than I thought. I should have checked my posts via profile :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: September 01, 2016, 08:58:35 am »

Clinton is distrustful of the media because they treat her the way a pack of jackals treat a wounded gazelle.

This needs qualification. CNN has their nose so far up Hdawg's ass they can see through her eyes. Clinton uses the media just like everyone else, and gets used in return. A fair bargain.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: September 01, 2016, 10:51:21 am »

Trump gave a big speech last night about how he's going to save america by deporting all of the illegal immigrants. He even got mothers of all the victims to come up on stage with him and tell their stories.

The problem is, statistically, illegal immigrants make up an extreme minority of violent crime, and resources for dealing with crime are limited. For every one person Trump saves from an illegal immigrant, ten others will be violently killed by registered citizens while the authorities are too busy kicking in doors and dragging little Latino girls out and carrying them halfway across mexico.

But honestly, my biggest gripe with Trump is the way he repeats everything he says, like his audiences are made up of little kids with ADD who can't bother to pay attention the first time he says something. I feel bad for his real kids having to grow up with that every day.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 01, 2016, 11:40:48 am »

He's not even that good of an orator. But I guess he has the skills for the demographic he's targeting. It's sad but true that his style actually works for a certain segment of the population. Possibly the segment that watches a lot of infomercials.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1249