Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389784 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3555 on: August 31, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »

Trumpelstiltskin will promise to make your country great again, but unless you can guess what's in his tax returns within three months, he sells your country to Russian oligarchs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »

Wait, there's a taco bell thing called "baja blast"? "Baja" is basically Swedish child language for shitting.
Look up Baja California.

It's a region.

...Why would you assume I didn't know? Isn't it a bit of a stretch to think I go around thinking American taco-mex/Spanish resturants chain name their products in Swedish? This preclusion of ignorance offends me! My honour demands satisfaction!
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: August 31, 2016, 04:03:20 pm »

Probably because many Americans themselves are that ignorant about geography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TK_vk-XDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pw8duzGUg
EDIT: Two videos there, neither was the one I was actually looking for ... which was asking California residents which country was to the south (many didn't know).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:24:42 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: August 31, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »

I dislike clip shows like that because they're very easy to make the way you want them, they deliberately target people who are put in the spot by pressure or are just plain inappropriate to get a real response from (like the guy with obvious "I have probelms of some kind or possibly am high right now" body language), you don't know how many people they've asked, or how they've encouraged expression opinions of things they don't know much about. I find bad spirit of the interviews particularly telling in the example of the question that hinges on Australians not being able to properly pronounce "Kofi Annan" properly.

Honour satisfied, though :P
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »

Baja means below.
So the two etymologies concur -- it leads to a blast below.

Well it is taco bell
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: August 31, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

I dislike clip shows like that because they're very easy to make the way you want them, they deliberately target people who are put in the spot by pressure or are just plain inappropriate to get a real response from (like the guy with obvious "I have probelms of some kind or possibly am high right now" body language), you don't know how many people they've asked, or how they've encouraged expression opinions of things they don't know much about. I find bad spirit of the interviews particularly telling in the example of the question that hinges on Australians not being able to properly pronounce "Kofi Annan" properly.

Honour satisfied, though :P
Yeah I don't trust such things at all...  Still pretty funny though XD
I get annoyed when people seriously make such sweeping generalizations of Americans, but it works as a comedy bit.  There are lots of dumb or underinformed (or exhausted) people here, as anywhere.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: August 31, 2016, 06:07:17 pm »

I dislike clip shows like that because they're very easy to make the way you want them, they deliberately target people who are put in the spot by pressure or are just plain inappropriate to get a real response from

idk, because I've seen some very similar shows where they asked how many people they had to survey to get that stuff, and the answer is usually "those were the main responses". And those sorts of responses are actually in line with  survey data. If you pick college-aged Americans at random, 2 out of 3 won't be able to locate even England on a map.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/pdf/FINALReport2006GeogLitsurvey.pdf
only 35% of 18-24 Americans can work out where the United Kingdom is on a world map.
30% of college-aged Americans estimate the US population at either 500-750 million, and another 30% guessed 1-2 billion. Only 30% picked the right bracket, 150-350 million.
Only 25% knew Indonesia is a Muslim nation. Which doesn't sound that bad ... until you read the report and realize it was a multiple-choice quiz, with three non-muslim nations to pick from as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:09:35 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: August 31, 2016, 06:11:00 pm »

Only 25% knew Indonesia is a Muslim nation. Which doesn't sound that bad ... until you read the report and realize it was a multiple-choice quiz, with three non-muslim nations to pick from as well

Given the only thing I know about Indonesia is that it exists... 25% means people were choosing randomly.

Ohh no people don't know EVERY country on earth, where it is, and what its population is?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: August 31, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »

It's worse than you imply, because that's the result of a representative survey. If one person got 25% of answers right, no problem, but where your entire population as a whole does not better than random guessing about something that's public knowledge, then you have a problem. And phone polls tend to be biased towards the more educated and affluent.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:18:36 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: August 31, 2016, 06:13:18 pm »

So Trump and Pena Nieto talked about The Wall. But in what may be another "pivot", they didn't discuss who'd pay for it.

Trumpeters are already rushing to dismiss the issue.

Maricopa County, Arizona, Sheriff Joe Arpaio told CNN's Jake Tapper: "What difference does it make? The wall's important no matter who pays."

Yeah, what's $10-20 billion among friends, right?

Only 25% knew Indonesia is a Muslim nation. Which doesn't sound that bad ... until you read the report and realize it was a multiple-choice quiz, with three non-muslim nations to pick from as well

Given the only thing I know about Indonesia is that it exists... 25% means people were choosing randomly.

Ohh no people don't know EVERY country on earth, where it is, and what its population is?
Umm....given that Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world (by population), you probably *should* know a bit more about it. Just sayin.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:15:26 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »

We know about the greatest country of Earth, Americaland, and that's all we need!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: August 31, 2016, 06:19:38 pm »

Umm....given that Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world (by population), you probably *should* know a bit more about it. Just sayin

Population size doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: August 31, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »

So Trump and Pena Nieto talked about The Wall. But in what may be another "pivot", they didn't discuss who'd pay for it.

Only according to Trump. Tweet reads, "From the beginning of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico would not pay for the wall".
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: August 31, 2016, 06:26:18 pm »

I really don't know why Trump is so stuck on "and Mexico will pay for it" as an important thing. Like I get it that he wants to stick it to the filthy immigrants and all, but when he originally said that it was almost like an afterthought, he nearly ended his sentence when he added that part.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: August 31, 2016, 06:26:46 pm »

Why don't we compromise here. We can build a wall around Trump, and ask the Mexicans to pay for it. I believe you'll find them much more receptive to the idea.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1249