Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390255 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3345 on: August 28, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »

Ever get the impression that the USA is anti-south?
Every day of my life?

Though to be fair, in the last 10 years, we haven't done much to prove them wrong. Or rather, a whole lot of people been tryin' to prove them right.

The "New South" of the 1990's and 2000's seems to be backsliding this decade into "South Classic". Only with marginally less black-hating, and a hell of a lot more Hispanic- and queer-hating.
If it weren't for my kids, I'd be a lot more serious about hitting the eject button and moving north or west. Instead, we found our little bastion of progressivism and we'll fight to the death to defend it. If the Trumpocalypse comes, it'll be a ragtag band of middle-aged writers, hipster foodies and organic farmers defending our borders against a shit-ton of trailer parks.

I hope somebody can develop an organic, fair-trade, bacon-wrapped (cruelty-free) bazooka.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: August 28, 2016, 11:42:57 pm »

I don't think it is backsliding so much that things are bubbling up (Same way that Brexit didn't create racism in the UK, it just gave people the idea to act and give them an impression of togetherness in the cause of anti-foreigners)

A Lion can seem like a calm and benign animal while asleep.

Oddly enough I have a friend who lives in a Trailer park in the South and GOODNESS is it described like hell! I am surprised there aren't more fatalities from just living there (not in terms of violence... lets just say when it gets hot... People fry)

Though his stories are kind of interesting because he mostly doesn't have a very high opinion on social programs because they tend to be pitted against him. Since while he is poor he isn't part of the "Privileged poor" so to speak and has been genuinely downtrodden by these programs or people who push them.

Which I found fascinating since it FINALLY puts a face on to why Liberalism can be resisted so strongly... Because it doesn't reflect the reality that a lot of people there live.

I mean yeah I have to take it with a grain of salt... but still.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:52:27 pm by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: August 29, 2016, 12:17:22 am »

I mean... the USA did reinvent the entire dang civil war to put the entire south as the bad guys regardless of their actual intentions and is to this day still reinventing it to strengthen this national viewpoint.
-Being "Southern" is a insult in the USA and a lot of prejudices within the USA are formed towards the south.
-All cultural differences the south has is considered anathema that must be expunged.

Which come to think of it... Is probably one of the reasons why the South ended up entrenching themselves belief wise.
Reconstruction was handled horribly. Civil War being 'reinvented' is a bit much, though.

Beyond that, it's status games. Though which precise cultural differences are you talking about?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:41 am »

Civil War being 'reinvented' is a bit much, though.

I mean I guess it is how much you believe that every single person who lived in the south had devil horns or not.

Though which precise cultural differences are you talking about?

What do you got? :P

Even Country Music is considered heinous :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:10 am »

Every day of my life?

Though to be fair, in the last 10 years, we haven't done much to prove them wrong. Or rather, a whole lot of people been tryin' to prove them right.

The "New South" of the 1990's and 2000's seems to be backsliding this decade into "South Classic". Only with marginally less black-hating, and a hell of a lot more Hispanic- and queer-hating.
If it weren't for my kids, I'd be a lot more serious about hitting the eject button and moving north or west. Instead, we found our little bastion of progressivism and we'll fight to the death to defend it. If the Trumpocalypse comes, it'll be a ragtag band of middle-aged writers, hipster foodies and organic farmers defending our borders against a shit-ton of trailer parks.

I hope somebody can develop an organic, fair-trade, bacon-wrapped (cruelty-free) bazooka.
Our state is a pile of salamanders, there is no hope.
But hey, if West Virginia can become a state because of a civil war, I think we can split off northwest carolina because of a trumpocalypce. :P
And build a wall around it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: August 29, 2016, 12:39:01 am »

Civil War being 'reinvented' is a bit much, though.

I mean I guess it is how much you believe that every single person who lived in the south had devil horns or not.
Is that how it's taught where you are? Certainly different from how I was.

Though which precise cultural differences are you talking about?

What do you got? :P

Even Country Music is considered heinous :P
Country music is Southern now?
Here I thought it was Western, and Bluegrass was Southern. That also seems more like a meme than anything else, but that might be because I live in a semi-rural part of my state.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3351 on: August 29, 2016, 01:26:43 am »

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Civil war was because slavery. Other reasons may have existed, but the South? No fucking way you can spin them as the good guys.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: August 29, 2016, 01:31:21 am »

Civil war was because of States' Rights, proposed slavery legislation was just the tipping point that made the whole thing erupt.

The Confederate States of America was created because the states that composed it wanted to have less Federal interference in how the regulated themselves, they weren't 'evil', or even 'bad'.  They were people who felt that their government was stepping on their right to self-govern.

Slavery was just one of the issues that lead to the American Civil War, best to keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:34:43 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3353 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:32 am »

Well, yeah. States want to keep enslaving people, but they can't, so they get pissed and leave.

Still doesn't sound so good for the South.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:32 am »

Well, yeah. States want to keep enslaving people, but they can't, so they get pissed and leave.

Still doesn't sound so good for the South.

Ok... Here is a question for you.

What percent of the south owned a slave or benefited from a slave?

6% at its max.

Meaning 94% of the population fought for slavery that they in no way benefited.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:49 am »

That is not a healthy position to take, yes, slavery is bad and needed to be removed.  I am firmly on the Union side on that point, but what the Confederates wanted was more control of their laws and regulations, to them it wasn't about slaves, it was about people who had never set foot in their states dictating policy to them.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: August 29, 2016, 01:48:49 am »

I am firmly on the Union side on that point

Well... Like how the Confederates weren't fighting to keep slavery going. (well not all of them)

The Union wasn't fighting to end slavery. That occurred after the civil war already begun.

HECK Abraham Lincoln got to office basically saying that he would keep Slavery going. He might have been Abolitionist but like most people he thought of it in a sort of "Someday" sort of mindset.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:52:12 am by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: August 29, 2016, 01:51:48 am »

The vast majority of Union states were anti-slave, their attempt at legislating the end of slavery is what actually pushed the Confederates to secede.  What Abraham's policies/campaign planks were is not relevant here.  You are correct that the Union 'wasn't' fighting to end slavery, they were fighting to force the Confederates to accept federal mandates, which happened to include measures to end slavery.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: August 29, 2016, 01:52:45 am »

Do we really have to go through this again? The fact that it was about slavery was pretty explicit in the various confederate declarations of independence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: August 29, 2016, 01:54:03 am »

The vast majority of Union states were anti-slave, their attempt at legislating the end of slavery is what actually pushed the Confederates to secede.  What Abraham's policies/campaign planks were is not relevant here.

Yes but remember... That most people had a very wishy washy belief in abolishment.

You would find the same thing in the time of MLK.

Do we really have to go through this again? The fact that it was about slavery was pretty explicit in the various confederate declarations of independence.

In a few... Sort of (One wasn't about Slavery so much as not wanting to recognize the rights of another)

But the difference is that not everyone fought for those reasons. As well who were the ones who would write those declarations? Ohh right... Rich Land Owners who would likely have slaves.

The revisionism has turned the entire Civil War into a battle between good versus evil because it looks better to modern ideals.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:56:52 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 1249