Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391045 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2835 on: August 14, 2016, 06:47:33 pm »

Do you see?
You certainly don't.

You don't because I have your eyes.

I have them right here:
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: August 14, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »

but expecting them to do so when they don't have the appropriate resources is kinda pointless.

The US has more police officers per capita then Ireland, Poland, New Zealand, England, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Sweden, Canada, Japan, Denmark and Finland.  These countries do not have this problem.  So clearly it's is in fact possible with the current level of manpower.  So what's the issue?  Not enough bulletproof vests?  Not big enough guns?  Not enough armored personnel carriers?

Y'know, this strikes me as somewhat misleading.  Sure, those countries have fewer officers by population, but they also have much lower crime per population.  RPGeek's argument was that our police are overworked (which results in more wrongful shootings), so the more important statistic is how many crimes there are for each officer to deal with.  So I checked wikipedia, and yeah, we have way more homicides per officer than those countries; RPGeek's kinda right.  Also, we have more guns, but everyone knows that.

I'm not necessarily saying we need more cops, or less, or that our cops are justified/unjustified in their shootings, I'm just throwing more statistics into the pot.  I am saying that I think RPGeek's right on the topic of overworked cops, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: August 14, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »

So maybe someone needs to crunch the numbers and come up with a "cops-per-gun" rate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: August 14, 2016, 07:16:39 pm »

Those mentions of England (which is, BTW, not a monoculture) in those figures should probably be rewritten as "England and Wales", lest the Taffia1 decide to leave a sheep's head in your bed to show their displeasure2.

For fun, though, add to the lists the seperate Scotland and Northern Ireland lines, too.

1 The Welsh Mafia.

2 To show you that they are happy with what you are doing, they leave instead a whole, live sheep.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: August 14, 2016, 07:22:57 pm »

Redking, I was halfway done with that before I realized you were trolling.

Starver, blame mainiac--I just copied his list.  I changed the England entries to United Kingdom anyway, because that's the actual entry name in the articles

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30:23 pm »

Have to say, though, I am now a little curious as to comparative armories. How many guns per officer each enforcement system is floating, maybe respective equipment expenditures. Dunno if I've ever seen that particular statistic before...

S'actually something I vaguely recall being an issue in the US -- something about budgetary constraints meaning a lot of their funding can only be spent on equipment, even when they badly need better personnel (training, recruitment, etc.) funding.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:31:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: August 14, 2016, 07:44:40 pm »

It feels like special pleading to me to claim that Americans are more criminal.  First of all, the homicide rate aint a great metric.  You are claiming that the US is hard to police because of the guns but the number of guns inflates the US homicide rate by making people much more likely to kill each other.  For another thing, other countries have problems too.  France for instance has a complicated colonial history that is still with them today and living in the suburbs of Paris.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: August 14, 2016, 07:46:27 pm »

1) What is your name?

2) What is your quest?

3) What is your favorite color?
1) John Miller

2) Make sure everybody understands how great a guy Donald is.

3) Gold.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 14, 2016, 07:48:37 pm »

I was worried Obama was gonna cause trouble but you are here to protect us.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: August 14, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »

Starver, blame mainiac--I just copied his list.  I changed the England entries to United Kingdom anyway, because that's the actual entry name in the articles
(Dunno about anything but the first one, but "England, 227" matches "England and Wales (United Kingdom)[...] 227" but there are separate lines for Northern Ireland (376) and Scotland (326) that are sufficiently different to indicate non-homogenuity across the Home Nations, which you ideally need to convert into actual numbers, combine then return to a UK-wide proportion to make for a half-way valid figure for the UK as a whole.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I meant to just point this out to avert the common misconception that was clearly about to happen, not actively re-educate anybody about the mistake thence made.

Anyway, E&W has the lowest figure for police of all (so labelled) 'UK' lines on that page, with "Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha" being at 939, Montserrat at 1471 (and apparently a high rate of murder, based upon the actual single recorded instance in the small population) and Pitcairn Islands at 1785, but obviously skewed by their lower than 100k populations rendering the 'police per' figure a little wild. Not that these should be included in the UK figure-mashing.)

That being off-topic (save for being statistical) it is not intended as an argument, just an aide memoire upon the way of anyone trying to using the figures with any degree of verisimilitude.  And I can't nest Spoiler tags, so a multi-paragraph parenthetical pair has to do for the outer lot.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: August 14, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »

and Pitcairn Islands at 1785, but obviously skewed by their lower than 100k populations rendering the 'police per' figure a little wild

Partly that but also the Pitcairn Islands are a more wretched hive of scum and villainy then Mos Eisely.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: August 14, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »

I was worried Obama was gonna cause trouble but you are here to protect us.
WHERE WE'RE GOING

WE WON'T NEED MEMES

TO SHITPOST
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:06 pm »

It feels like special pleading to me to claim that Americans are more criminal.

Upon further analysis, yeah, it kinda is.  All that can be said is that (non-canadian) Americans are more murderous.  Even then, you could argue it's just easier for us.

First of all, the homicide rate aint a great metric.  You are claiming that the US is hard to police because of the guns but the number of guns inflates the US homicide rate by making people much more likely to kill each other.

Fair point.  Like I said in the spoiler, I went with homicides because there's no wikipedia article for countries organized by crime rate (and I just assumed homicides would roughly mirror general crime, despite knowing better).  I also figured homicides were somewhat more relevant, as I imagine most police shootings are done in fear of homicide (whether or not that's a likely outcome of the situation), and therefore would likely be more closely tied to police shootings.

Anyway, as I said in the spoiler, I'm perfectly willing to find another metric if you want.  So I did.

Is that accurate?  If not, please go find something yourself.  I'm sleepy.

For another thing, other countries have problems too.  France for instance has a complicated colonial history that is still with them today and living in the suburbs of Paris.

Sure.  I'll admit to being rather worthless at understanding other countries problems, due to my lifetime spent within the US, and my general lack of interest in such topics up until very recently.  However, I'd like to point out that France doesn't have such a massive issue with police shootings, which I believe was our topic?

TBH, I don't think overwork of police is the main reason for the high number of police shootings, I just thought your counter-argument was worthless on its own.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: August 14, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »

Redking, I was halfway done with that before I realized you were trolling.
Who's trolling?? We seem to have at least three variables at play here:

1) Rate of crime
2) Rate of gun ownership
3) Rate of policing per capita.

If we have the highest policing rate, but also one of the highest crime rates, then that would indicate we have a godawful ineffective police force. If the counterargument to that is that the high rate of gun ownership exacerbates the crime rate, I'm willing to buy that but let's crunch some numbers. What's the p-values for crime vs. gun ownership, policing rate vs. gun ownership, and a multivariate regression analysis on all three?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2849 on: August 14, 2016, 08:53:58 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country
Poland:      1.3
Wat.
MAYBE if you count in all the military stocks (muh AKs and PPShs) and even then it would be pushing it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1249