Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390999 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2865 on: August 14, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »

... if that's all you're seeing on the ground level, you are willfully ignoring the ground level. There's not really a different way of putting it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: August 14, 2016, 09:51:49 pm »

I used this site for how much crime there was in a country.

Quote from: the methodology
This section is based on surveys from visitors of this website

It was literally in response to you guys, on this thread.

Hey dude, do me a favor.  Where did we post "lets hate cops" in this thread?  I can't find that post.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:55:33 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: August 14, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »

I don't think I am, Frumple. By and large, I do not see people who have a real support of the police. I'd like to support them, and I think they're mostly good guys, but I think that there's some serious issues, too. Mind you, this is recently, and it's not a topic I see brought up all that often irl.

I used this site for how much crime there was in a country.

Quote from: the methodology
This section is based on surveys from visitors of this website
Yeah, I saw it. Combined with factually higher homicide rate in America, it seems like it works well enough. Do you have a contradictory data source you consider more reliable, on crime rates in America as a whole? I'd be glad to use one. I used that because I couldn't find much if anything about total crime rates that was reliable; one site had Iceland as the highest crimes per capita and noted that reported crime rate had more to do with effective/respected law enforcement and reporting standards, than actual crime rate.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 14, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

Yeah, I saw it. Combined with factually higher homicide rate in America, it seems like it works well enough. Do you have a contradictory data source you consider more reliable, on crime rates in America as a whole? I'd be glad to use one. I used that because I couldn't find much if anything about total crime rates that was reliable; one site had Iceland as the highest crimes per capita and noted that reported crime rate had more to do with effective/respected law enforcement and reporting standards, than actual crime rate.

Lack of availability of good data doesn't make shit data better.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2869 on: August 14, 2016, 10:00:08 pm »

Maybe it's farmers or other rural people with shotguns and/or varmint rifles. Animals like chickens are practically begging to be killed by a fox or a raccoon or whatever the local equivalent might be, and there must be some civilian hunting going on.
>shotguns
>varmint rifles
>POLAND
No.
It doesn't happen (It did, but then Soviets arrived and took all the guns and then nobody bothered to change the law).

Even if it does it's illegal and your local police can put you in jail for long time due to that. The closest you could get would be proably an air gun.
As for civilian hunting, well, yes and no. There are hunters not belonging to Forest Guard per se, but they're still treated more as government workers since you have to be part of Polish Hunter Association which assigns hunters jobs (like shooting off some boars if local farmes start complaining that they're fucking with potatoes) and has stuff like specialized courts which can also send you to jail... and then there is like 120,000 people in it, tops.
One simply does not own a gun as civilian in Poland... unless you're rich as fuck so you can bribe your way to one or... settle for pre-1850 black powder gun with separate loading ammunition.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: August 14, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »

Lack of availability of good data doesn't make shit data better.
No, but it's what we got. And it mostly lines up with homicide rate, as far as I could tell. It's circumstantial evidence, so to speak. And with homicide rate also being higher, there ya go.

As for it seeming like there was a hate of police,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe I'm misinterpreting or reading too much into it. But that plus the general attitude/tone when talking about police gave me the impression that people really disliked law enforcement personnel.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 14, 2016, 10:08:44 pm »

No, but it's what we got.

Then your conclusion should be that you are incapable of making a judgement with the data you found.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2872 on: August 14, 2016, 10:10:21 pm »

I'll rephrase -- what worked for Switzerland probably wouldn't work for us.
Why not?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: August 14, 2016, 10:16:16 pm »

Then your conclusion should be that you are incapable of making a judgement with the data you found.
People seem quite happy to leap to other judgements in this matter.  Is it wrong to argue a position without rock-solid evidence?  I mean, sociology and political science may not be hard, but they aren't MF magnets :P

Just seems like a bit of a double standard, asking your "opponent" to be absolutely sure before judging.  Not that we should consider such discussions antagonistic...  There are many contributing factors, what we really disagree about is the ratio of their importance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: August 14, 2016, 10:19:57 pm »

That is a very dangerous way to think about data.
Why?

Until you have better data, you use the data you have. You don't just throw your hands up in the air and say 'it's a mystery! we'll never know, so we may as well assume it's some other thing unrelated to the data!' Poor data > No data. You want to get the best data you can. Don't run off a cliff with it, but when it lines up with similar, more reliable data, and you don't have anything else, there ya go.

We could always not use it. And then there's no data to support for or against the idea that America has higher crime rates. You claimed it was special pleading to do so. I'm not certain how, at this point. It actually seems like it would be to not use the data. I'm not ignoring other data. I asked specifically for it, and would love to have it and use it instead. I don't know where it happens to be. And judging from logical reasoning, the USA having a higher crime rate is not an unexpected outcome. More ethnic diversity leads to more strife between ethnic groups. Cycles of poverty and crime start up where there's enough localized inequality and absence of economic opportunity. A history of racism that results in law enforcement being a threat as much or more than it is a security to minority populations, which creates systemic distrust and rejection of the existing system. Glorification of individualized violence causing rash decision-making to leap to that as one of the first answers at hand when being impulsive. A massive prison system working to keep as many people criminals as possible, and incubating rather than rehabilitating inmates.

What more do you need, mainiac?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: August 14, 2016, 10:31:44 pm »

I'll rephrase -- what worked for Switzerland probably wouldn't work for us.
Why not?
I made an attempt at laying it out two posts before that one -- gun crime in Switzerland wasn't characterized by gangs shooting people up with illegal guns, but it sure as hell is here. Ot's what makes up the vast majority of gun crime. If you're trying to focus on countering, like, 2nd Amendment rural folk or just legal gun buyers in general like the Switzerland sort of thing would accomplish, you're doing it wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: August 14, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »

I don't think I am, Frumple. By and large, I do not see people who have a real support of the police. I'd like to support them, and I think they're mostly good guys, but I think that there's some serious issues, too. Mind you, this is recently, and it's not a topic I see brought up all that often irl.
Mate, if you don't see real support of the police, you have not watched TV once in the last three decades. Or read the news, or listened to the radio, or been somewhere besides under a rock. They are supported to the point that people, millions of them, try to blow off some sketchy as hell shit. To the point they functionally don't see legal repercussions, that they get sodding millions in grassroots donations, and more, and more, and more. This has been constant for the extent of my life. It is still constant, for all some people are starting to get slightly pissed that support is being taken advantage of, and even among them the majority message is "reign in" not "hate".

You practically have to be trying to miss this stuff.

And yeah, you were misinterpreting like the buggery with what you quoted. MSH was the only one that came even close to anything approaching hate, and even that was in relation to a believed excess of support. And MSH basically does hate the police.

Folks don't dislike the police, by and large. They hate it's reached the point they have solid ground to be fucking terrified of them, and everything related to that. Cops get a shitton of respect even with that, and there's friggin' piles of folks that have basically zero concern over how cops have been acting for the last long while. There's already been examples of that in this particular discussion, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 14, 2016, 10:43:08 pm »

Until you have better data, you use the data you have.

Only to the extent you can use it.  Look dude, you need to stop with the strawman arguments already.  Just because someone says that we are too quick to trust the cops doesn't mean they say we should hate them.  Just because someone tells you your data is shit doesn't mean they hate the concept of data.  Stop making bullshit false dichotomies.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: August 14, 2016, 10:47:05 pm »

And yeah, you were misinterpreting like the buggery with what you quoted. MSH was the only one that came even close to anything approaching hate, and even that was in relation to a believed excess of support. And MSH basically does hate the police.
Without a moment's hesitation.

You'd have to be crazy to find this status quo anything even in sight of acceptably bad. Going around sucking off the egos of our great "law enforcement officers" is a terrible thing to do in the face of things like the blue line of silence.

The cops don't need sympathy, they need to be put in their place. Our idealization of them is why this was allowed to degenerate to this point, regardless of the training and legal issues that enable the actual murder and injustice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 14, 2016, 10:50:04 pm »

In which way do you propose they be put into their place?
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1249