Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395302 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2025 on: August 02, 2016, 05:48:31 am »

Continuing the 24/7 Trump news cycle, here's a new hoot from Trump:
Trump Calls Clinton 'The Devil,' Boasts About Meager $35 Million July Fundraising Haul.
Also: Trump Says He's 'Afraid' Election Is 'About to Be Rigged'.

Seems like he's already preparing explanations in case he loses.
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 02, 2016, 06:01:04 am »

IDK, it sound plausible that EM waves can affect the brain, but that ship has sailed when we started building powerlines over a century ago.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 02, 2016, 06:07:58 am »

The CDC has called upon all Americans who are pregnant to not travel to Miami, as it is plagued by zika carrying mosquitos.
The British health athority also has issued a negative travel advice for pregnant women for the entire state of Florida.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36946131

Pregnant women living in Miami might want to consider moving to another part of the US until they have given birth, or at least bathe in pesticides twice a day.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:12:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 02, 2016, 06:09:26 am »

'Self'-funding, Ukraine, war heroes, bat-shittiness in all forms...  And then from supporters:
"I don't have any objections to what he's said so far," Dellevonne said, firm in her support.

Has anyone got any spare *faceslap*s I can borrow? I got a whole new load in after the Referendum, but I seem to be a bit low on stock again, already...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 02, 2016, 07:14:09 am »

Jill Stein: We should not be subjecting kids’ brains especially to that. And we don’t follow that issue in this country, but in Europe where they do, they have good precautions around wireless—maybe not good enough, because it’s very hard to study this stuff.

Is just like to chime in and say that - as far as I know - there are absolutely no restrictions on wifi because of "health" reasons over here, and neither have I heard of it being the case in any other european country. This is basically just Stein talking about her Canadian girlfriend here.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/electromagnetic_fields/docs/emf_comparision_policies_en.pdf

As noted there it's non-binding across the EU but most EU states do cover it in some manner for general exposure and about half of them cover it for occupational exposure. Granted, these are from sources much higher powered than your typical wifi transmitter. But it's not a lie. The EU does generally have more and stricter regulations in place than the US does.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:39 am »

If you're getting 140~150 W/m^2 from your wifi transmitter, it's probably on fire.

If you're getting 140~150 W/m^2 from your wifi transmitter in a specific wavelength I would like to see that device very much please, I always wanted a laser pistol, and it should be simple to repurpose something doing that into one.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 02, 2016, 08:10:52 am »

For reference, 150W per m^2 in electricity will power standard underfloor heating systems at full whack.

I don't know how relevant that is, but I thought it was interesting.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:11 am »

For reference, 150W per m^2 in electricity will power standard underfloor heating systems at full whack.

I don't know how relevant that is, but I thought it was interesting.

150 W = 1st degree burns.  :D I usually use cap floor heating to 50 W / m^2.

But the power isnt as relevant as how that power interferes with matter. Radio transmitters can be very powerful but those waves just go through most stuff which is why they're safe...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:29 am »

Well, I was going off of an object significantly less than a meter in any dimension, most likely several meters from you, and what it would need to be giving off to hit you with that much power.

We're talking cellphone base station next door territory, which yeah, that is not a good thing, nor is having high wattage power lines right over your house.

Incidentally, if anybody does have a wifi transmitter that puts out 150 W/m^2 in the 2.4 Ghz band, I would very much like to purchase it, if you'll accept an IOU until I can repurpose it into a weapon and use it to melt a hole in the side of a bank vault for an awesome heist.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 02, 2016, 08:24:54 am »

I dont say that living under high voltage powerlines is 100% without health hazards... But remember that by far the greatest radiation source to us at almost any wavelength is the Sun. The amount of man-made radio power going through you each second pales in comparison to what comes out of the Sun. Magnetic fields created by large currents are a slightly different thing though.

I'd say theres no need to get paranoid as long as you dont stare into the microwave at close range for minutes on a daily basis.  :)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 02, 2016, 08:25:47 am »

I'd say theres no need to get paranoid as long as you dont stare into the microwave at close range for minutes on a daily basis.  :)
Aw fuck.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 02, 2016, 08:29:23 am »

Aw fuck.
The doors on modern microwaves are shielded, that's what the little metal sheet with the regularly spaced holes are for.

You didn't remove that so you could put your head in there because you like how it tingles, again, did you MSH?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 02, 2016, 09:07:54 am »

Studies have shown that acute symptoms of wi-fi hypersensitivity can be effectively reduced by hiding the SSID.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 02, 2016, 09:23:39 am »

What if you change your address?  Wouldn't that do it?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 02, 2016, 09:32:56 am »

I'm not arguing there are health hazards here, I was simply saying that most of the EU does have regulations in place. (Some US states do as well, we just don't have an overarching federal law.)

In the US a holder of an amateur radio license can set up a station to transmit up to 1500 watts. Some of the 2.4 ghz band that wifi uses overlaps with amateur bands. Any amateur radio license holder could theoretically set up a 1500 watt wifi radio transmitter. Given that kitchen microwave ovens are in the 1000 watt range and operate in a similar band, it's easily within the realm of possibility to cook passing pedestrians and animals while you're watching netflix.

But it's true that's nothing that kids are likely to have to worry about in school.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1249