Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386227 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1365 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:49 am »

Why in the name of zeus would fox be editing out booing during the DNC, anyway?

Well I'm not sure yet but I think that Hillary Clinton blackmailed Ailes into taking the fall for molesting women (which was actually Bill's fault) so that Debbie Schultz's secret lover, Ailes junior, could take over the channel and turn it into a left wing truth suppression outlet.

Coming next season to house of cards.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 26, 2016, 07:50:30 am »

According to the fivethirtyeight guys, who were on the floor at the convention, the booing was very localised to mostly the california delegates and was only really noticable if you were near them, so how much of it networks picked up would be very related to where on the floor their mics were. Also, the bernie signs were actually being handed out, not taken away.

Source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/democratic-convention-live-coverage-of-day-one/

I was watching the twitch.tv stream of the convention and the boos were absolutely ruining the early speakers. The chair had a hard time passing the motions to get things started and the voice votes were a joke. Everyone up there was clearly affected by the negative atmosphere as they spoke. After a while it calmed down a bit but they were there, clearly, anytime Hillary was mentioned. After a while it transitioned to "Bernie" as well as a few other chants. "No Unity No Trust" and "We will not yield." being notable at the end. The boos started getting counteracted by timed cheers and "Bernie" was counteracted by "Hillary" chants to some extent. But EVERYONE that mentioned Hillary got a taste of it. That includes Warren, that includes Obama, that includes Sanders himself.

It was honestly hilarious. Not quite as good as the never trump people at the RNC, but still really good entertainment value for the few hours I spent with it in the background.

The press narrative is that it was a small minority, but those early voice votes where they didn't want to pass the convention rules were pretty clear. Can't wait for the actual vote count tonight although I imagine they'll pull a few tricks make things appear more unified tonight. I can only hope the dissenters have something else up their sleeves.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:18 am »

If the Dems manage to bungle this election, I'm going to be very scared. I mean, we know that the Republican party is the party of party unity, but still. At some point, I'm expecting Ashton Kutcher to walk onto a debate stage and declare that he's successfully punked the country.

I'm not quite willing to shift my libertarian support at this juncture, but it's damn worrying that the Dems might screw up Hillary's coronation.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 26, 2016, 08:57:50 am »

So did you guys apparently watch a totally different DNC then my mom did?
She was fucking ecstatic last night due to how hilariously bad the whole thing was.
She actually vomited from laughter since EVERY. SINGLE. SPEAKER. ESPECIALLY SANDERS. was booed off the stage. And then a storm rolled over the whole thing to fuck over the speakers.

Granted she said most networks censored out the boos so maybe you literally were watching a different one.

Oh and no comment on the Pro-Hilary gestappo confiscating Bernie signs and threatening people? And the big ass fence-walls encircling both the stage and the entire building?

According to the fivethirtyeight guys, who were on the floor at the convention, the booing was very localised to mostly the california delegates and was only really noticable if you were near them, so how much of it networks picked up would be very related to where on the floor their mics were. Also, the bernie signs were actually being handed out, not taken away.

Source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/democratic-convention-live-coverage-of-day-one/

Where are the election monitors?

Also, who here noticed the people wearing fluorescent yellow hats at the RNC? One of the videos seems to show one of them acting as cheer director.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 26, 2016, 09:01:27 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/texas-delegation-bernie-sanders-226204

So much for party unity....  I'm fully expecting all out revolt at the roll call later today.

Also, who here noticed the people wearing fluorescent yellow hats at the RNC? One of the videos seems to show one of them acting as cheer director.

Those are the Amnesty International guys who decided to come to the conventions and monitor for police violence, just in case, which is a first for them because it's the first time for the US. Lemme find the article....

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/amnesty-international-to-send-delegation-of-human-rights-observers-to-the-republican-and-democratic
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:03:40 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 26, 2016, 09:06:27 am »

... do the parties even have those for their primaries? Any of them, really, not just the big two. Certainly can't recall hearing of any for the last... well, as long as I've been alive and aware. Occasionally ones during actual votes or at particular polling areas or something, but not at conventions or whathaveyou. It'd be a bit weird, anyway... these things are an internal organizational issue, not some aspect of the actual government.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 26, 2016, 09:11:39 am »

... do the parties even have those for their primaries? Any of them, really, not just the big two. Certainly can't recall hearing of any for the last... well, as long as I've been alive and aware. Occasionally ones during actual votes or at particular polling areas or something, but not at conventions or whathaveyou. It'd be a bit weird, anyway... these things are an internal organizational issue, not some aspect of the actual government.

And that's a problem in my eyes. It's okay to rig the elections as hard as you want as long as the final decsion between two candidates forced down our throats is fair.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 26, 2016, 09:12:08 am »

Those are the Amnesty International guys who decided to come to the conventions and monitor for police violence, just in case, which is a first for them because it's the first time for the US. Lemme find the article....

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/amnesty-international-to-send-delegation-of-human-rights-observers-to-the-republican-and-democratic
In one of the Laura Ingraham videos, one of the people wearing a yellow hat appeared to be inciting the crowd to cheer, accompanied with a camera crew.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 26, 2016, 09:13:56 am »

In one of the Laura Ingraham videos, one of the people wearing a yellow hat appeared to be inciting the crowd to cheer, accompanied with a camera crew.

*shrug*

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 26, 2016, 09:17:47 am »

If the Dems manage to bungle this election, I'm going to be very scared. I mean, we know that the Republican party is the party of party unity, but still. At some point, I'm expecting Ashton Kutcher to walk onto a debate stage and declare that he's successfully punked the country.

I'm not quite willing to shift my libertarian support at this juncture, but it's damn worrying that the Dems might screw up Hillary's coronation.
Republicans have had much less unity, given that they've had major candidates refuse to visit at all, other major candidate refuse to endorse Trump on stage, and several delegations have walked out from the convention.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 26, 2016, 09:19:09 am »

And that's a problem in my eyes. It's okay to rig the elections as hard as you want as long as the final decsion between two candidates forced down our throats is fair.
Well, it'd be a problem if the elections were actually being rigged, sure. Most of the accusations I've seen of that the last couple of cycles have shown every sign of being pretty much entirely bullshit. Election doesn't exactly have to be rigged for someone to lose, oddly enough.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 26, 2016, 09:24:41 am »

Would you honestly be surprised? Hell, one of the core reasons I will never be a Democrat is because they have a long and storied track record of having elections handed to them on a silver platter and then fucking it up by displaying all the political deftness of Chevy Chase doing a Gerald Ford impression, and all the killer instinct of a terrified chihuahua.

Republicans are far better at playing The Game...it's just that they've become the Party of Awful, Awful People.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: July 26, 2016, 09:26:09 am »

Well, it'd be a problem if the elections were actually being rigged, sure. Most of the accusations I've seen of that the last couple of cycles have shown every sign of being pretty much entirely bullshit. Election doesn't exactly have to be rigged for someone to lose, oddly enough.
How will you detect rigging if you don't have observers?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:42 am »

*shrug*
The guys in the yellow hats are the floor whips. Doing that sort of stuff is their job, along with some other stuff, like trying to stamp out insurrection on the floor.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 26, 2016, 09:58:57 am »

How will you detect rigging if you don't have observers?
Normally? It's not like these things are particularly closed door, most of the time. They're generally, y'know. Televised live, from multiple angles and often illicitly, too, these days. Actual ground vote stuff is generally handled by the local election whatsit folks, too, rather than specifically chosen members of the party.

There usually isn't specific election monitors (for the primaries, at least... think they get a bit more involved in the general, but there's a fair amount of opposition to them in the US, so...), but there is still a lot of folks involved, many of which don't really have much reason to rig things and even less to keep mum if they notice it happening. Makes it relatively difficult to get away with stuff. Not impossible, but about as good as you'll get without actually having specific organizations dedicated to keeping an eye on that thing (more, since it's not like there's no interaction at all) involved. And even that doesn't exactly remove the possibility of some sort of corruption. Just adds another layer of people that'd need to be subverted. Which is kinda' desirable, because the more effort it is the less likely someone's going to invest that effort into it, but still. It's not like the folks involved with this actually particularly need to rig the votes to get the outcomes the party's pretty happy with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:02:36 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1249