Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387503 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10455 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:20 am »

so... hypothetically, do you guys think i should learn Russian or Chinese?
Russian, definitely. Vladimir Putin is going to basically have direct access to the White House via Trump's financial links and his fanatic admiration for dictators, after all, so it'd make sense for you to learn the language of your (potential?) future ally (?) administration, in order to get higher and more well-paid positions.

Chinese are basically losers at this point, because even weakened USA is more powerful than them, and with Russia in alliance with Trump!USA, Chinese are kind of screwed. Russia doesn't really like China, to say the least.

/joke?
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:52 am »

Maybe I'm just vulnerable to political rhetoric, but after listening to the debates, I really wanted Clinton to win. Like, even knowing that she's too conservative for me, and that her party robbed Sanders, I think she makes a lot of good points and would be genuinely good for the country, even if she wouldn't push goals I want as hard as i want. She actually seems like a good candidate to me, and then people are saying "She's bad, but not as bad as Trump" or has been calling her a traitor, and that's all I see online.

MOST of the time both candidates are good, or at least good enough and actually make some sense when you get down to it.

It is why I think Liberalism and Conservatism are both in many ways... wrong... it is only by combining them that one can effectively run a country. It is why a party that refuses to compromise is a bad party in my mind.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:34 am »

Oddly enough my friend says that Trump's VP is actually far worse then Trump himself.
Dunno anything about him, but I didn't know anything about Bush's VP either and he turned out to be literal Emperor Palpatine. So... anything's possible, I guess.
Pence is kind of a dick, apparnetly
What did we do to deserve this as a VP candidate.

Vote for Trump
Goddamnit. But I didn't. :-\
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:41 am »

The only time I can think of an election being so disastrous that it actually shocked a country into being a better person... was... far FAR FAAAAAAR more disastrous then even I'd ever wish on someone even if I psychically knew it would lead to a better country.
I'm getting the impression you're thinking of Germany here.

I don't believe he will build a wall (because that is stupid... as soon as he gets the cost estimate he will back off) AND I believe banning Islam has the constitution in the way.
Trump isn't planning to "ban Islam". At first it was "ban immigration from muslim countries", which I think is actually possible due to precedence of temporarily banning immigration from I think China in the 1800s. Then he changed it to "temporary ban on immigration from muslim countries." Then "temporary ban and stricter screening and background checks." So it's not at all a policy of banning the practice of a religion, from what I can see.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: November 09, 2016, 02:23:24 am »

I don't believe he will build a wall (because that is stupid... as soon as he gets the cost estimate he will back off) AND I believe banning Islam has the constitution in the way.
Just wanted to address this.  He can't make Islam illegal in the U.S. but I think there's a supreme court case that says specific groups can be prevented from entering the country, and also that we don't apply constitutional rights to our treatment of foreign citizens. There's a whole issue with detaining foreign citizens without trials. I'm not a lawyer though, and I think I read this something like 6 months ago, back when he was just a scary joke.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: November 09, 2016, 02:24:32 am »

It falls under the "Anti-sodomy laws" catch for me Spehss _ and interus

In that... Sure sounds a LOT more reasonable then banning homosexuality doesn't it! I mean... there are medical reasons to ban it!

Sure he won't BAN Islam because that would be ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:26:11 am by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: November 09, 2016, 02:25:10 am »

He doesn't even need the cost estimate, theres zero chance of congress giving up anything in the budget for wall construction.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: November 09, 2016, 02:25:18 am »

Considering the currently presumptive VP has stated support for plans to reducing funding for HIV research in order to fund LGBT torture camps, it's entirely too bloody understandable.
What the hell, source? Never heard anything like this.
Here's one. If you're less aware of how incredibly fucked up some of our conservatives are on LGBT rights, conversion therapy generally boils down to torture of one sort or another. It has a history of literally killing people, and driving more to suicide. Pence supports this. Trump chose him as his VP. The GOP has put their vote behind him even if they didn't put their full support. LGBT folks have a goddamn good reason to be worried right now. They're watching the country come out in droves for people that are supporting bastards that have advocated for fucking killing them.

As for the more general problem, he's going to be supporting republican measures. The republican platform on LGBT rights was noted as one of the worst in decades this cycle for a sodding reason. And GOP stance on shit like states rights and LGBT issues is so deeply goddamn hypocritical it's barely worth talking about. If we're not going to have to fight federal measures to strip LGBT rights regardless of state stances on them in the next few years I am going to be deeply, deeply surprised. If you give a single damn about that particular minority in this country pray to whatever god is listening we'll actually be able to fight it when it comes.

I don't see how that sends the message that party affiliation trumps everything, though. Like I said, not even his own party wanted him to win.
And yet they voted for him. Endorsed him even as they denounced him. Sent the message that no matter if you bloody hate the guy on every level, if he's got an R he's got your vote.

And no, it wasn't all about brown skins and illegals. Note I said abso-fucking-lutely everything. The nationalism and bigotry was one hand. The absolute lack of honesty on any front was the other. The republican party now has explicit proof they don't need proof of anything, they just need to lie loud enough and long enough. That's the message they've been given.
The Republicans ran a conman with more active investigations than a teenager has zits.  While calling the opposition crooked at the same time for having one active investigation.  Which she was found innocent in prior to voting.

This is your daily reminder that Trump won after pussygate.

Trump won after pussygate.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: November 09, 2016, 02:27:53 am »

I wonder if next time we'll see an election actually fought on issues rather than smears. I feel like so much time was spent attacking Trump over sexual comments that he wasn't challenged properly and now I have no idea what his presidency will really be like.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: November 09, 2016, 02:29:28 am »

I wonder if next time we'll see an election actually fought on issues rather than smears. I feel like so much time was spent attacking Trump over sexual comments that he wasn't challenged properly and now I have no idea what his presidency will really be like.

How much did Trump put out there? Ohh right... a bunch of old stuff no one cares about anymore except making America Great Again!

and the problem with Issues, and I hate this fact, is that... Voters have a stupid tendency to go "Boring! I want Rhetoric, not logic!" making the Presidential elections feel more like a magic show

Not that I am against a little razzle dazzle... I mean showing your conviction, while emotional, is perfectly valid. Yet sometimes it feels like that is more important then what you actually say.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:31:09 am by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:00 am »

Nope. It'll just continue to get stupider until one of the political paries snaps from the terribleness and breaks in two. Or both of them do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:59 am »

Guardian declares the election to Trump.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:24 am »

God, I mean, Bush was a mook, and it sucked seeing him win... but this is just an overwhelming feeling of disappointment.

I thought we were better than this, really I did, and then I kept watching states slide the wrong way, one after another, and here we are?

Hillary should just come out on stage, look around, say "What the FUCK?" and walk off, feels like.

Do you respond to irrationality in a rational fashion? Why?

This was the wet dream of crazy alt-right fuckers on /pol/ for them to jabber about in the dark spaces out of the public eye, but this time when we lifted the rock and looked underneath, we didn't flinch and drop it in horror.

We grabbed something slimy and vile, raised it high, and shouted to the world: "This is what we are now, this represents me!" as it spat and shat and vomited hatred and lies.

I feel like I should apologize, maybe I could have put my foot on the rock before it was too late, though I never really imagined it would actually reach this point, so I would be apologizing for expecting sanity to win out?

I can't do that, but I'm sorry it wound up this way, and hope it isn't as bad as it looks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:48 am »

Whenever Sanders got the spotlight, he turned it to the issues.  Sometimes Clinton managed to get in a word about issues also.
Trump?  Just fueled the hype with a mixture of vagueness and controversial statements.  He had every opportunity to explain his position.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: November 09, 2016, 02:33:54 am »

The Guardian is reporting that Trump has won Wisconsin, and is at 276 electoral votes. If this is accurate, then it's over. I'm hearing Fox reporting that the result is still unclear.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1249