Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 62249 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2016, 06:29:43 pm »

No Parasol... got it. I can't think of anything else.... well, I tried to keep the OBA out of this one, but

Here We Come

[Edit: Changed my post to better suit the setting, check it out]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:33:53 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2016, 06:40:28 pm »

....whose sole responsibility is to make the perfect spear for King Dodok to finally win the spear-throwing competition.

Uhhh... we might have gone a tiny bit off track here fellas

(just doing a quick re-read-through)

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2016, 06:59:30 pm »

....whose sole responsibility is to make the perfect spear for King Dodok to finally win the spear-throwing competition.

Uhhh... we might have gone a tiny bit off track here fellas

No, that's Swordgangs' goal.  Ours is to give Bomrek whatever he wants so that he can finally make that spear.  How he's managed to survive this long...  ???  Think he might be blaming us for not fulfilling quotas?  There has to be a reason Dodok is sending us an administrator after failing only three of five quotas.

After all, we have nothing that could be used to make the penultimate spear.  We're on dead flat land in the middle of nowhere, nothing interesting here whatsoever.  If you don't count trees and water.  Nope.  Nuh-uh.  Nuttin'.  (pun intended :P)

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »

Well, do you have sand pears? Should probably have some at temperate/tropical border, I think....

@Ryukan: Huh. That makes me think, where are the elves anyway? Human trade, dwarf trade...elves where?

There should be at least some visitors in mountainhome.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2016, 05:25:44 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

03 Limestone 82

Sodel has been working hard, for all of his grumbling.  He is justifiably very proud.

08 Limestone 82

Work continues, quietly.  With just Airith and I down on the aquifer levels the corner walls are slow to build, but we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel with seven of them left.

12 Limestone 82

And judgement day has arrived.  We have everything except ten bars of potash, so I’ve ordered all of it sent over.  With almost four weeks before the wagons leave, Edzul and Uvash might actually finish the potash!

14 Limestone 82

Heavy footsteps sounded on the central access stairs leading down to the aquifer where Lotu and Airith were working.  With something between a snarl and a growl, Airith ducked behind the farthest pump.  She really doesn’t like him.

With a sigh, Lotu abandoned his wall, and went to meet Echoworked.  And I can’t blame her.  Talk about a stiff-necked, narrow-minded pencil-pusher of a bureaucrat!

“Yeah, yeah.”  Lotu settled into his usual chair at the dining room table, waving Echoworked toward one on the other side.  When both were comfortably situated, Lotu cocked his head, in apparent attention.

So that’s Castletomes and Atticace that have new mayors.  Castletomes is the closest to us…maybe I should care?  But it’s still half a world away…nah.  Don’t care.

“Aren’t you going to update your records?”  Echoworked paused.  Lotu started to stay something, then changed his mind.  Getting up, he grabbed an empty sheet of paper from Dr. Urist’s desk and scribbled down a few things.  No point alienating him completely.

“Shall we get down to business?”  Lotu suggested.

Lotu’s list consisted of axes, picks, various pieces of armor and trap components, in addition to replacement steel bars.

“And make a note that all of that should be made out of steel.”

Echoworked frowned.  “You do remember the export cap, right?”

“Oh, I’m not liable to forget that.”  And since Catten seems to be happy enough melting stuff down…we should be able to import quite a lot of steel from now on.  He thought smugly.

Looking down at his notes, he added.  “And if there’s any way to spread the word that we could use some extra hands…?”

Echoworked looked up.  “Ah.  That reminds me.  His Majesty sent a group north with the caravan.  They should be getting here any day now.”

Lotu stared for a moment, then collected himself.  Well, if there had been migrants with the caravan, I would have heard of it by now.  It wouldn’t surprise me to find out they had snuck off somewhere else while the caravan guards weren’t looking.

Getting back to business, Echoworked continued.  “Bomrek has welcomed two more dwarves to Swordgangs, so your numbers for the next quota are for 55 dwarves.”

Lotu tried not to betray his irritation, holding out a hand to receive the latest impossible list.

So for 55 dwarves…  He did some quick calculations.

Huh.  That’s not as bad as it could have been.  The cloth and clothing will be a pain, and Mebzuth will scream about windows, while the Pale Roads will be chopping until the world ends.  But all in all, not as bad as could have been.

At least we can keep any metal we 'acquire.'

02 Sandstone 82

“There!”  The lead dwarf pointed through the dripping trees.  In the distance, barely visible in the lush jungle, rose the walls of the promised stockade.

As the small group straggled closer, they peered forward, eager to end their nightmarish journey.  Most of them longed to regain a sense of safety lost long ago.

Huh.  That looks weird.  Why are there walls stretching out from the main enclosure like that?  And is that a…forest? of windmills up top?  What have these slackers been doing?

The palisade itself had apparently been thrown up in a hurry, made of rough logs, some of which still had bark peeling off.  Yet, it had obviously been there a while, since all of the logs were clearly weather-worn.

The entrance seemed to consist of a raising drawbridge over a deepening ditch leading down a wagon-wide passage to a shoddily-constructed trade depot.  It was so ramshackle, in fact, that it threatened to simply disintegrate into a heap at the slightest ill thought.

Rounding a protective wall, the newcomers were faced with a series of ramps leading down, and – “Waaaahhhhh!”

“Corpses!”

“Dead dogs!”

“Dear gods, the horror!”

Mooney leaned down from the ramparts.  “Jes’ ignore the dead war dogs ‘n’ other animals!  They’re there so’s they don’ stink up the place.  Go through the northeast corner, cross the pasture to the northeast tower.  Ye can’t miss it, it’s floored in phyllite.  Go down either of the ramps there ‘n’ you’ll find the common area, first level down.  I’ll send someone t’tell  Lotu to meet ya’ll there.”

Cringing, the newcomers did as they were told, giving the refuse pile a wide berth as they went.

No sooner did Lotu enter, holding a mug of cassava beer, than one of them, the expedition’s leader, stepped neatly into his way, holding out a letter.

This is a masterfully-crafted sheet of gorlak parchment.  It is decorated with spikes green glass and hanging rings of giant cave spider silk cloth.  It is embossed with a masterfully-crafted image of a dwarf and dwarves in wax.  The dwarves are raising the dwarf.  The image relates to the ascension of Dodok Charmedmirrors to the position of King of the Figure of Diving in the year 1.  This image is the personal seal of the king.

Attention: Lotu Sizzlediron

I am most displeased with your frequent quota failures, which have forced the dwarves of Swordgangs to produce worthless, unbalanced spears.  As a result, I implementing more extreme measures.

This letter is to certify that the bearer, one Akrul Glazeletter, is now to take over all managerial duties of Finderboards, and any other administrative duties she feels necessary.  Under her management, I expect all future quotas to be delivered in their entirety.

Signed: His Majesty by the Grace of Armok, King Dodok Charmedmirrors, Cheesemaker

Lotu finished reading and looked up into bright emerald eyes.  Studying the dwarf in front of him, he remarked, “You’re kind of…young, aren’t you?”

“My mother is the manager of the Theaterknowledge Mountainhome itself, and she has trained me from the cradle to follow in her footsteps.  I am perfectly capable of managing this…hamlet.”

Lotu sighed.  Well, orders are orders.  “Alright, I’ll tell Lorbam to hand over all of his managerial and bookkeeping duties to—“

“Oh, no.  I’m going to need him to stick around as a bookkeeper.  Organizing is a full-time job.”

Turning to leave, she added over her shoulder, “And I’m going to need an office.  See to it.”

Lotu stood staring after her, mouth agape.  …What?  A hand landing on his shoulder jerked him back from his befuddlement.

“I’ll take care of Her Highness’s chair, shall I?”  Lyra, and several other local dwarves lounging around, had clearly heard most of the conversation.

Lotu nodded to her, still slightly in shock.  “I think, that might be a good idea.  Set it up next to Lorbam’s will you?  Or no.  That would interfere with training, wouldn't it.  Put it on the other side of the ramp.”

03 Sandstone 82

Well, next time Echoworked tells me something, I guess I should believe him.  Eight new dwarves arrived yesterday.  Apparently they originally numbered almost twice that, but the journey proved difficult.  I’m not surprised.  I remember our own journey seven years ago with a certain lack of fondness.

In all, we’ve been joined by Akrul Glazeletter, the manager Dodok has seen fit to inflict on us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We also have Rith Vesselglaze, a stonecrafter, who said she was sent to make stone mugs the next time Bomrek wanted some.  I promptly re-assigned her to bone carving, despite her protests.  Finally, that mountain outside Erib’s butchery will become useful!

Rith traveled with her husband As Mirrorstockade, a fish dissector. 

And we also have Tun Staffpacked, a fish cleaner.

Apparently, Bomrek’s obsession with fish has reached Theaterknowledge.  Well, I’m sure we’ll find a use for those two somewhere.  For now I’ve forbidden them from trying to catch non-existent fish (neither seemed to believe me) and assigned them to hauling instead.

A family of four rounded out the group.  Sarvesh Mirrorsling, a farmer,

is married to Aban Ransackedmansions, a carpenter.  We don’t need a third carpenter, so she has also joined the haulers until I find something better for her to do.

They brought two of their sons, Ingish Blockadesound,

and Rigoth Tinchant.

With them they brought a blue peachick named Fikod, that apparently belongs to Aban, an aurochs calf and a water buffalo calf, and a baby alpaca.  Now that is a useful animal, since once it grows up we’ll have a breeding pair!

I’ve assigned Sarvesh as a spinner/shearer.  He can at least start turning the various clumps of hair littering Erib’s butchery into useful thread, at least until the alpacas start reproducing.  Hmm, maybe I should ask Dr. Urist to figure out a way of turning animal thread into weaveable thread?

07 Sandstone 82

Akrul’s chair is ready, so we’ve set up her office near Lorbam’s.

She immediately started complaining about the lack of walls, lack of privacy, and constant distractions.  Such a spoiled princess.  She’ll need to learn to make do, like the rest of us.

09 Sandstone 82

Akrul insisted on joining me in tallying up the quota as I verified the numbers.  And she questioned everything, including why we were choosing poor-quality, worn items.  Definitely one of Dodok’s favorite bureaucrats.

Not only that but, thanks to the newcomers, we are already above the import cap.

In return for the quota, we could only afford 1 steel bar, a cheap steel pick, and some raspberries that I immediately sent to Ral to turn into wine.  At least Uvash will be happy.

After trade:

On the plus side, we did manage to fulfill the quota this year.

I have no idea how many seeds we really sent, but they were all useless nuts and tree seeds.  I was ecstatic to get them out of here.

And Akrul had the balls to brag to everyone that all we needed was a decent manager.  It’s only been a week and she’s already getting on all of our nerves.

13 Sandstone 82

The eastern sky was barely beginning to lighten when Akrul slipped into the depot.  Murmuring a greeting to the traders beginning to stir, she found Dastot.  “Here, make sure this gets to His Majesty.  With my compliments.”

Dastot studied the envelope a moment, then slipped it into the mail bag already fastened to one of the horses’ saddles.

“Of course, ma’am.”

Akrul watched from the ramparts as the caravan shuddered into motion.  Yes, everything is well in hand.  She thought complacently, descending into the already busy courtyard.

18 Sandstone 82

Several days later, Akrul arched her back.  Getting all those orders queued up, validated, and sent to the appropriate task had been backbreaking, given that she didn’t have a table, or desk, or anything other than the spindly little chair that had been unearthed for her.  And probably from a storeroom dating back to the very first month of occupancy.

Rising, she crossed the room to the dining area, to join Edzul.  “I don’t think we’ve met yet.  I’m Akrul.  I’m new here.”

Warily, he shook her hand.  “Edzul.”

“Wanna hear about the Worst Journey Ever Attempted?”

Edzul shrugged, which she took as agreement.

“Well, it all started on a cold, windy day at the beginning of Granite in the Year 82…”

And some hours later…

“…And then we finally got here, with half of our original numbers gone to join our ancestors.  Terrifying, right?”

Edzul nodded quickly and jumped up.  “Yeah, and I’ve got work to do.”  Edzul escaped, amazed that it had taken her so long to draw a breath.

03 Timber 82

’Remove the obstacles’ he said.  ‘Make them look like accidents,’ he said.  Yeah, but how am I s’pposed t’do that here?

I’ve been over this piddling little depression from the highest rampart (not that that’s particularly high), to the lowest level (which happens to be completely under water), and everywhere in-between by hauling stuff hither and yon, and there’re dwarves everywhere!

How can 49 dwarves live like this?  All piled up on top of each other, with no privacy or space.  If I try to drown someone, Lotu and Airith are lurking around the aquifer at all times of the day or night.  The militia, especially Imic’s axedwarves, are always on patrol, which removes the jungle as a possibility.  And if it weren’t for the adults, the kids play anywhere.  And they go around in groups, so I can’t take the indirect route.

The Master does not accept excuses for failure.

Think.  Think!

“Hey, what’re you doing down here?”  Lotu hauled a heavy mudstone out of the water.

The dwarf, caught unaware, stammered out, “I...I was jes’…y’know, explorin’?”

“Eh, you’ll figure out your way around quickly enough.  Here, can you take this up to the masonry stockpile for me?  I’ve got a wall waiting.”

“Uh, sure.”  The dwarf grabbed the boulder, pushing and shoving it over to the ramp.  Shoot, that was a close one.  I gotta be more careful.

13 Timber 82

Well, I’m glad that’s done.  All of these walls are finished, so now I just have to finish cleaning up, then we’ll be able to focus on the next level.

I have discovered one good thing about having to work in the wet.  This is probably the only place Akrul doesn’t visit on a regular basis.  Apparently she’s been driving the others to the brink of insanity, randomly popping in to their workshops, tracking them down when they’re on vacation, insisting that “vacations are for wimps” and sending them back to work.

I overheard Sodel calling her “Dragon Lady” yesterday.

The name fits.

27 Timber 82

And time to set up for the next level.

Things are speeding up, at least with the aquifer.

28 Timber 82

And it’s the end of fall.  How are our production numbers doing?

Ugh.  Zero amulets?  I’m going to have Rith start making bone ones.  And we need to chop more trees.

Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Newcomers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:29:47 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:52 pm »

Journal of Airith

"Can I PLEASE shoot her?" Airith pleaded.
  "No Airith," Lotu said pinching his temples, "If she goes missing, we'll have the mountainhomes wanting our heads."
  "But but but..."
  "No."
  "... Can I do everything in my power to make her life miserable?"
  "Within bounds of the law, sure"
  "Yes!" Airith said as she bounced up and down out of the room.
  "Oh lord" Lotu said as he walked out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:09:01 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »

Well, do you have sand pears?

Yes, we do.  We've even sent Bomrek training spears made out of sand pear wood.

- Dame de la Licorne

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »

I'd love to be dwarfed. I'd prefer mason, then metalworking, but I'm fine with anything. Just dwarf me as Another.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:47 am »

In Imic's cosy, nice, tiny room...

'Lotu!'
'Yes, yes, yes... Now. You wanted me?'
'It's about the dragon lady...'
'Oh, what's she done now?'
'Nothing... Yet.'
'Whaddya mean, nothing "yet"'
'You can speak in quote marks?'
'Yes. Now, what is it?'
'I'm... Suspicious of her.'
'You're suspicious of everyone new here.'
'Yes, but... She is visiting everywhere in the fort, one by one. I've seen her in every place, at least once. She even came out following me on patrols once or twice.'
'Yes, we know that, and we should prob-'
'Don't give me any of that, now! She's as bad as a Boatmurdered overseer! Possibly worse!'
'Imic! Don't call people that!'
'Well, still. I'm keepin' an aye on her. I'm not lettin' her outta me sight.'
'Unless you're on patrol.'
'Unless I'm on patrol.'
'Now, I've got things to be doing. See you later.'
'See ya.'

'Hmmmmmm...'
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2016, 03:41:58 am »

Hm, already another caravan. You're speeding up, I guess.

Looks like cloth production might also have to speed up. There's old legwear, but raw cloth I dunno about.

Do crowns count as headwear?

But worst of all - there's windows again, if in half the number.

Hahaha, awesome grudge.

I wonder - you paint the manager as unloved - but...Surely there are other dwarves with settlements sharing some facet of personality or another?

We'll see if there are more grudges, I guess. Would be neat.

The Problematic Maw-Arena? Sounds suspiciously goblin.

Mmmmigrants. Needed to finish the quotas with just 25 people, I guess, children take ages to grow up.

Gorlack parchment? What sort of monster would create gorlack parchment? An elf wouldn't make leather, and a dwarf wouldn't butcher a sentient.

I suspect the king isn't dwarf at all....

But what sort of skills does Tin have? Just organizing?

And yay, fish. If only there were aquifer turtles.

Mm. Rather less useful skills, overall - where are potash makers when you need some? - but half of them might make for decent military or hard labourers.

I think Dr. Urist would want to bind books and dwarves with the animal thread.

Hm....Vacations are for wimps? Would the lady write a book about it? I think you have new scholar.

Pretty circle with the aquifer.

Nothing pleases Bomrek.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2016, 10:08:48 am »

I'd love to be dwarfed. I'd prefer mason, then metalworking, but I'm fine with anything. Just dwarf me as Another.

I've given you As, and I'm going to make him an apprentice mason.  We're just about at a point where we can afford a second one, so that Airith can focus on machinery and other things.

Hm, already another caravan. You're speeding up, I guess.

Looks like cloth production might also have to speed up. There's old legwear, but raw cloth I dunno about.

Cloth is no problem, we're holding steady at ~750 units.  And for the clothing calculations, I've been working from the basis of 1/3rd of the stocks listed are unclaimed.  The numbers may actually be higher, but I've been misled before.  Besides, we can always use more clothes.

Do crowns count as headwear?

I don't think so.  I've been going by categories, since that's the way the export agreements seem to be set up.

But worst of all - there's windows again, if in half the number.

Mebzuth is skilled enough that these are easy this time around.  Plus, there were the missing fifteen from the last request lying around.  Any slowdown comes from competition for wood.

Mmmmigrants. Needed to finish the quotas with just 25 people, I guess, children take ages to grow up.

Yeah, that's the problem with running generation forts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »

02 Moonstone 82

The newcomers need beds, so I’ve decided to expand our living quarters a little, and dig out an actual barracks for our militia.

While we do have some extra beds sitting in the stockpile, I’ve also asked Lyra and Uvash to make a few more.  Maybe that will keep Akrul out of my hair for a few days.

06 Moonstone 82

I went down to help Airith build the pumps and saw the most amazing sight.

Someone has time to clean around here?  I sent him over to the crafters’.  He can make himself more useful over there, and a little mud never hurt anyone.

08 Moonstone 82

We have an embarrassment of riches, as the ancients would say.

11 Moonstone 82

Well, there’s one thing one of these slackers definitely knows how to, and that’s make good wine.  Akrul thought, nursing a mug of her favorite durian wine as she walked back to her meager little chair.  Now I need to—.

She stopped short, staring at the mess that a short time before had been neat stacks of paper.  “What happened?”

Dr. Urist was working intently in her library, and Akrul crossed over and rapped sharply on the edge.  Dr. Urist jerked upright.  “What?  What?”

Gesturing over her shoulder, Akrul asked, “Did you see what happened?”

“Huh?  Oh, that?  I was out of paper and needed some in a hurry.  You should be more organized.”  Dr. Urist frowned.

Akrul gasped.  “Me?  It was organized!  The blank paper was in the pile to the right and behind the chair.”

“Ah.  Yes.  I looked there last.”  Bending back over her illegible scribbles, the last word was an afterthought.  “Sorry.”

Akrul stood for a moment, gaping like a fish.  “Was that supposed to be an apology?  Hey!”  She rapped on the table once again.

“Stop that, I need to concentrate.”

Akrul scowled, and went to rap it again.

“Keep that up and I’ll call Imic.”

And that dwarf doesn’t like me at all.  Akrul thought.  She turned back to stare at the mess.  This is going to take me hours to clean up.  She couldn’t have been, I don’t know, a little less thorough?

Scrabbling through the papers, she found a blank sheet.  Across the top she wrote:

TO-DO LIST

1. MAKE PAPER!

15 Moonstone 82

Balancing a pile of logs destined for the stockpile, Tun picked his way gingerly over the as-yet-unfamiliar ground.  Suddenly, a screech from above brought his hair to attention.  Peering over the top of the pile, he saw a green ball with a wicked beak diving straight at him.

The armful of logs exploded into the air, as Tun bolted for the safety of the palisade.

“Run!  Run for your lives!

High up on the ramparts, Mooney aimed his crossbow.  “Yep, them keas’re back.”

Ustuth pointed to the south.  “And this time, they’ve brought reinforcements.”

Mooney squinted, then nodded.  “Go down and let Imic know, if he doesn’t already. Then find Besmar and tell him to get his ass up here.  I don’t care what needs he needs.”

With a lackadaisical salute, Ustuth trotted down the nearest stairs.  Behind her, she heard the sssshhh-sproinginging as Mooney sent his first bolt flying.

19 Moonstone 82

“…And so, there I was, holding an armful of masterly-worked cloth that I certainly was not going to drop, facing the Dread Kea.  And all of a sudden, one of NCommander’s war dogs comes out of nowhere, and starts snarling at the kea.

“But, there was a tree in the way.  The kea hit head-first.  I think that dog is still worrying the corpse.”

The other dwarves clapped and cheered, as Sodel bowed.  One of my best yet.

From her chair across the room, Akrul said, “Not bad.  But if you’re done, go back to work.  The amulets are behind schedule.”

With rude gestures that Akrul seemed not to notice, the dwarves filed out.  To work?  Maybe.

25 Moonstone 82

He promptly went racing out to his leatherworks, where he puttered for a bit, before charging into the butchery.  What’s put a bee under his cap?

26 Moonstone 82

Having spent all day yesterday gathering three good-sized pieces of aurochs leather and a mudstone boulder, Olon’s started working on something. 

I’ll have to find some way of diverting Akrul’s attention from him for a while.  Hmmm, maybe Lorbam could tell her the stocks appear to have been miscounted, and she needs to help him do a fortress-wide recount?  With the right approach, she could easily insist on doing most of it herself.  I know she views us as barely-civilized hicks.

Oooh.  That’s worthwhile in its own right.  I’ll get Lorbam on it right now.

01 Opal 82

“Stop cancelling jobs!  They’re just birds!  Scary, but completely harmless!”  Akrul threw her hands up, frustrated at the dwarves darting forward, falling back, picking up a log and dropping it, constantly panicked by the dive-bombing birds.

Airith peered unobtrusively around the corner of the workshop.  This new plan was working very well.  And Lotu will be happy, because it doesn’t need even a hint of law bending.  Hi-hi-hi.

Akrul stomped up the stairs to the ramparts.  “Mooney!  Can’t the Pillars of Ink do something?  You have crossbows, use them!”

Calmly, Mooney aimed his crossbow and fired, only to have the bird dodge at the last second.  “Cain’t get ‘im ever’ time.  They like t’dodge.”  He finished loading another bolt, took aim, and fired.  This time, he barely managed to clip a wing.

Watching Akrul stalk off in a fine fury, Mooney allowed himself a slight smile.  ’Course, ‘twould never do t’let on that we’re missin’ on purpose.  Nope.  That wouldn’ do at’ll.

03 Opal 82

We all agree, Olon has outdone himself.

He has proven himself a master of his craft.  Even Akrul was temporarily impressed.

08 Opal 82

This has gone on long enough.  I admit, it’s nice to get our own back sometimes, but we have got to finish that quota.  So I went to have a word with Mooney.

17 Opal 82

After a week of killing keas, Mooney has finally gained enough experience to be classed as Elite, much to Imic’s dismay.  But, Mooney does have 25 kills, more than all the rest put together.  I consoled Imic with the fact that birds are unfair opponents for an axedwarf.  Of course such a cowardly enemy can only be brought down with ranged weapons.  After all, he proved himself in single combat with a monitor lizard.  Not even Mooney can top that.

22 Opal 82

Sutdying the numbers, Akrul smiled.

That’s both the shields and the spears complete.  Things are looking up, now that those dratted birds have been killed.

“Oof!”  The numbers suddenly blurred before her eyes.

“Watch where ye’re goin’!”  Akrul leaped to her feet, as wine ran down the page, blurring her neatly written columns of numbers.

“Sorry!”  Airith pulled a greasy rag from her back pocket and started wiping at the wine, coincidentally rendering the sheet illegible.

“Stop.  Stop!  I’ll take care of it.”  Akrul rescued the soggy paper, and looked down at it forlornly.  All that work.  To be re-done.

She found her to-do list.

2. Order new office dug.  Somewhere far away from the common room.  Pausing a moment, she then added, And with a lockable door.

23 Opal 82

Excellent!  Rigoth is now an adult and old enough to work.  I’ve assigned him to Imic, to learn the fine art of chopping trees. 

Imic immediately gave him his first adult task.  To forge his own axe.

27 Opal 82

With nothing to do while Airith designs the final pumps, I went to the crafters to satisfy a few needs that I’ve been neglecting.

I’ve also been thinking.  Airith is spending a lot of time on various architectural and machinery projects.  Maybe I can assign one of the new immigrants to the masonry?  It would certainly free her up for more important things, like pumps.

Yeah, that sounds good.  Now which of the two fisherdwarves…?

Early Obsidian 82

The militia, loitering around the entrance, were the first to spot the beast.  OOC: I have the axedwarves defending the entrance, with the marksdwarves covering both entrance and ramparts, during the first ~1/2 of each month.  If nothing attacks by then, I deactivate them all to chop/craft/haul/eat/drink/sleep.  So far, it seems to work.

They were quick to spread the word.  Besmar and Mooney raced down from the ramparts, and all civilians were called back behind the walls.  They gathered in the common room, ready to pull the drawbridge lever if the militia failed to subdue the cursed creature. 

Only NCommander was brave enough to stay above and watch.  “Someone has to know if the lever needs pulling.”  She insisted to Lotu.  “And I have the war animals to slow that thing down long enough.”

Lotu nodded.  And your husband’s the one leading the charge.  I get it.

NCommander climbed up on the wall above the drawbridge, watching the militia bravely move forward.  Later she would tell the story with a wide variety of emotion but, at the time, all she felt was a mixture of fear and pride.  Fear, not for herself, but for the dwarf who held her heart, and who at that moment was striding forward without hesitation to meet one of the most dangerous creatures in existence, and surely toward his own death.  And pride, for the same reason.

There goes a dwarf.  She thought.  There goes my dwarf.

THE FIGHT

Imic and his dog, Libash, were the first to reach striking distance of the Dread Werelizard Suque Wisholir.  The dog, eager for battle, charged forward and latched onto the left arm.  Snarling, the werelizard managed to shake the dog off.  Libash slid across the ground and lay for a moment, stunned.

Screaming its fury, the werelizard struck out with his other arm, but Imic dodged to the side, shoving the pommel of his axe into the beast’s chest as he went.  Off-balance, the creature fell back a step.  Circling each other, the creature reached for the dwarf, but Imic slapped the arm away with the flat of his axe. 

Shaking himself back to his feet, Libash charged back in another attack, drawing the werelizard’s ire.  Growling and snarling, the two came together in a cloud of flying fur, blood and spittle.

Imic, Lokum, Mooney and Besmar went to work.  The two axedwarves struck whenever they could avoid the dog, while Mooney and Besmar got their single bolts off just before the clash.  Studying his empty quiver for a moment, Mooney then shrugged and waded into the thick of things, bashing the lizard with his wooden crossbow.  Besmar hesitated but a moment before following suit.

Not even the surviving soldiers could ever sort out exactly what came after.  The only thing they could agree on was that the werelizard continued to focus on the dog, allowing the dwarves to attack with impunity.

Which they did.

The end, when it came, was sudden.  With a single blow, the newest recruit cleaved the beast’s head from its body.

“When did you get here?”  Lokum panted.

“Just now.  I didn’t think the blade was sharp enough, so I did that first.”

“Tcch.  Lucky strike.”  Imic had wanted the kill for himself.

“Not bad, for a newbie.”  Udil had come along in time to see the final blow land.

Besmar and Mooney each landed a heavy slap on the youngster’s shoulder, then headed back to refill their quivers.

Imic continued to study his new recruit.  “Yer form needs work.  Wait for me in the training area.”  As he spoke, he walked over to examine his dog.  “Ye poor thing.  Come on, Libash.  I’ll get ye patched up.  ‘s th’ leas’ I can do, since ye kept all of us from getting’ so much as a bruise.”

Carefully, he picked up the lacerated, bleeding animal and headed back to the palisade where his wife could care for the dog.

09 Obsidian 82

That was…a rather more exciting start to the month than I could have wanted.  I don’t know if we were lucky or….

No.  We were definitely lucky.  And I now have the ammunition I need to convince Akrul to make armor a priority once we have some good quality steel.  With only leather armor…things could so easily have gone very badly.

10 Obsidian 82

I have some plans for that werelizard corpse.  But for now, I’ve put it on display right in front of the depot, as a warning to others who might think we’re easy pickings.

It’s been joined by the sloth it killed on its way to us, and some random keas left over from earlier in the winter.

13 Obsidian 82

A sudden shriek followed by a thud caused Lotu to pull himself up from the corner wall he was building.  Akrul sat on the lowest stair, rubbing her knee and glaring upward at…nothing.

“You OK?”  It was only polite to ask.

“No!  You need to do something!”

“About what?”

“Them!”  Akrul jabbed her finger upward.

Lotu raised an eyebrow.

“They won’t stop!  First they make a mess of my papers, then I find we’re out of durian wine when I know we had almost 50 servings.  Then Airith ‘accidentally’ trips and spills wine all over my notes!  And my bed got messed up!  And my spare clothes vanish!  And—!“  Akrul sputtered to a halt at Lotu’s disbelieving expression.

“First, there is no law that says a dwarf can’t have the kind of drink they want, as long as it’s available.  Maybe you miscounted?  Second.  Most of that sounds like kids.  No dwarf that I’ve ever known has managed to control kids.”

“That’s as may be.  But I know someone pushed me down these stairs just now.”

If anything, Lotu looked even more skeptical.  “You sure you didn’t just step wrong and slide?  This clay is tricky.  It absorbs the dampness in the air and gets really slick if you don’t pay attention to where you put your feet.”

“Yes, I’m sure.  I didn’t trip!

“Well, do you know who did it?”

Akrul had to admit she didn’t.

“Then I don’t know what you expect me to do.”

“Dig out an office.  And a bedroom.  And a dining room/food storage room for me too.  And I want doors on them.  With locks.”

“Tha’s not very neighborly of you.  And I’ve got this to deal with first.  You’ll have to wait a bit for all that.”

“No, you’ll dig it out now.”

“If you want me to do that, you’ll need to let me deal with the aquifer first.”

“You dug out a new barracks!  What’s another couple of rooms?”

Lotu pointed out the obvious.  “Those were for the military.  Trust me.  You don’t want Imic mad.  And I think the squads have earned their own quarters after what they've dealt with over the past several years.  Let alone that werebeast last week.”

Akrul didn’t have a comeback for that.

17 Obsidian 82

I finally just flipped a coin.  As won the toss to become our first full-time mason.  In honor of the occasion, he has asked to be called “Another.”  Is he particularly vulnerable to the local version of insanity?

Airith gave As a quick tour of the masonry, and then pointed to the pile of mudstone we’ve been pulling from the aquifer.  He’s started making blocks out of it, under her occasional supervision.  I’m sure we’ll find a use for cheap blocks of stone, and at least he’ll have time to learn which end of the chisel to use.

Was that distant yell from him?

23 Obisidian 82

I’m not sure if this is a good sign, or a bad one.

I have to work with the woman, so staying friendly is necessary.  But for Dr. Urist to actually befriend her?  Well, I guess that might be useful.

28 Obsidian 82

Fortunately, the rest of the month has been quiet.  The Dragon LadyAkrul insisted on meeting with me to go over our current production numbers.

She spent most of the meeting yelling at me about the craft numbers.  I finally kicked her out with “You’re the manager!  You deal with it!”  God, that felt good to say.  But I think I’ll go have a quiet word with the crafters anyway.  Who knows what Dodok might decide to inflict on us next.

OOC: Bitten animals don't become werebeasts, right?  At least, I don't recall ever having one turn on me.  So, I think we're safe, for now, since the dwarves have a nice collection of bruises but nothing worse.
Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Newcomers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Edit: Always the typos...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:39:01 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:29 pm »

Only sentients/intelligents can become were-creatures. You'll be fine.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »

Nicely done!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2016, 05:52:11 pm »

o Atolasob is growing!

Man, that's a long walk to new bedrooms. Maybe it'd be nice to place a few pieces of masterwork furniture in the halls to admire eventually?

Though perhaps not statues, as they block floor space. (And tbh dwarves can admire even a track stop.)

o Come to think of it, it is a little weird that aquiers absorb water so well, compared to other bodies.

Though even if they didn't, you show well that with powered pumps one could still break through them.

o Hm, I wonder how many breakthrough Dr. Urist will write into books....

On another note, I realized that Akrul doesn't have any skill in philosopher (necessary to write value agendas books), and rng probably doesn't make them pick that skill from nothing.

Ah well.

o Keas and dingos?

Green and yellow are beautiful together, but it's like a curse of Fort and adventure mode together.

Not quite harmless either, I've had keas cause deaths with mindless war dogs and dwarves dodging into minecarts on qsps.

I guess Imic can slaughter dingoes?

o Hm, a shield?

Well, it won't burn away in fire unlike a wood shield, so there's that.

Only thing is...I recently looked for reasearch of effect of quality of shields for blocking. I discovered that
a) The latest research on it is from 0.31.
b) In that research, shield quality didn't affect block chance beyond margin of error (and not sure which way, as the images are lost).

o Woodcutters forging their own axes? Fitting and beneficial :)

o What does Airith mason, anyway? Also the pumps?

If you used wood blocks for pumps, the immigrant carpenter could finish building them while Airith worked on next one.

o First 1/2 of each calendar month or first 1/2 of each werebeast month?

Well, first werebeast anyway.

Dogs and doors are useful against them, I suppose.

All they need to do is slow them down a little, after all.

And, hm. Do you use the animal caretaking dfhack plugin to treat the dogs?

o Aha. Two friendly scholars.

And no grudges.

Dwarves are quite accepting, hm?

o Hm. Windows...Are going far faster this time. With this pace, the quota would have been made last time. What changed?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36