Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 62228 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

01 Hematite 81

Once again, Lokum stopped pumping to get a drink as soon as summer wandered around.  I’m starting to expect things like that out of him.

Fortunately for my sanity, he isn’t the only pump operator

03 Hematite 81

Imic headed out on one of his unofficial patrols.  Turning east, he kept a keen eye out for any impromptu visitors.  Even so, he rounded the corner and…

The two opponents froze for an endless moment, staring at each other.  Then, Imic raised his axe with a bellow, the kobold’s barely visible head twitched, and he took to his heels.

Imic declined to follow.  Every dwarf at Atolasob had soon learned that kobolds, especially fleeing kobolds, ran much more quickly than even the quickest dwarf.

Bes' jes’ to let ‘em run.  As long as they stay outta the stockade.

Shrugging, Imic continued on his patrol.  He had more important vermin to catch.

Later that afternoon, Mooney was bringing a load of wood to the front gate when he noticed a sapling shaking.  In a very familiar way.  Sure enough, a moment later Tayldis tumbled gracelessly out, yet somehow managed to land with his feet already running.

“Sorry!  No want shinies!  No!  No!  Tayldis gone!”

Mooney shook his head.  “Bad things comin’.”  He muttered to himself, and dropping the wood for someone else to finish hauling, he headed down to the aquifer to report to Lotu.

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

Wonderful.  That’s all we need with this quota.  So what is it going to be this time?  Another episode of Killer Keas? Thieving Capuchins?  Or, dare I say it, a—no, I won’t tempt fate.  But the production is screwed…I wonder, could we get a pass this year by faking temporary insanity?  Surely that wouldn’t be a surprise given that dwarves aren’t supposed to live above ground?!?  It wouldn’t even require much faking, given Mooney already spends most of his free time somewhere on the ramparts “admiring nature”.  Hmm, this has possibilities.

05 Hematite 81

Wandering into the dining room for my evening meal of capuchin intestines, I found NCommander wandering around.  She’s been there every time I grab a meal, or a drink, or a snack, or a combination, and has been talking to everyone.

Apparently, no one told her we’re under a deadline, so she’s been ignoring the crafter’s in favor of socializing!  Gah!  Well, that does explain the lower figurine numbers, now that I think about it.  I told her in no uncertain terms to get her butt back over there.  She hrrmphed at me, but stalked off in that direction.

With her on the job, we should be able to finish off the figurines, but the others…  Especially if we can’t chop and collect wood this summer…

Why am I the leader of this unmotivated group?  I just want to mine…

10 Hematite 81

If I want something done, I have to do it myself.

I should give up on the quota this year, but something just won’t let me. 

11 Hematite 81

Ustuth was on duty on the ramparts, and sent word along.  After meeting with Logem and going over our stocks, I’ve ordered all of our worn clothing except the legwear marked for trading.  We can at least get some of the permanent mess cleaned up a little.  I also marked the elven cages and some of the poor quality toys.  Judging from the number the kids keep leaving underfoot, we can well afford to part with a few.

12 Hematite 81

Lotu stretched, arching his back until has spine cracked, then studied the clay well in satisfaction.  Work was progressing nicely, and his pace was very slowly picking up.  Deciding he had earned a break he rested his pick on his shoulder and headed up to the common area, whistling cheerfully.

He found Logem holding up the wall dejectedly in the otherwise empty room.  On seeing Lotu enter, she cheered up noticeably.  “Hey, Lotu!”

“Yeah?”

“You on a break?”

Lotu shrugged, then nodded.  “I’ve got a new poem that I put together while digging, want to hear it?”

Logem swallowed.  “Sure.”

Logem paused a moment to gather his thoughts, then began. 

“Swiftly rushing,
always churning,
never slowing,
steadily speeding.

Oh lovely clay,
I hear you say,
beneath the water,
we all get hotter. 

Oh firm rock wall,
standing so tall,
I hear you sing,
when I down-swing.

Beneath the earth,
With her great girth,
Lies great treasure,
For my pleasure.”

“That’s…nice.”  Logem tried to stay impassive.

Imic was less diplomatic.  “Horr’ble.”  A poet, he ain’t.  Why’s he keep tryin’?  For once thankful for his hauling duties, he backed quickly out of the room.

Some people have no sense of refinement.  Lotu thought.

14 Hematite 81

While I was fine-tuning my latest poetic masterpiece, merchants arrived and started unloading.

I really don’t want to deal with them right now.  I’m going back to the aquifer.

27 Hematite 81

I’ve finished the artificial pillar I was working on, and decided it was time for a break before tackling that southeast corner.

Time to grab a drink and trade.

28 Hematite 81

Lotu examined the humans’ offerings meticulously, carefully setting aside everything that looked useful. 

Word’s gotten around.  There must be almost four hundred meals-worth of fish this time!  Pity we won’t be able to enjoy much of it.

Studying the resulting pile grimly, he glanced at his own tradeable goods.

I hate this.  I really, really hate to do this.

Slowly, reluctantly, he removed the weapons-grade metal bars, the leather, the thread, and half of the lungfish.  Biting his lip, he did some mental calculations.

That should work.  Barely.

Longingly, he studied the metal bars then, straightening his shoulders, he fell to haggling.

In the end, the 13 crutches, 2 figurines, 6 short swords and 23 instruments and parts just squeaked past the import limit. 

Before trade:                                                  After trade:

Maybe that’s Bomrek’s real goal, to keep us from importing anything useful.  But his day is coming.  Oh, yes.

10 Malachite 81

Mestthos has abandoned her glassworks in favor of meditation.

Why now?  Does she know something the rest of us don’t?

16 Malachite 81

I didn’t notice for a while that the merchants had left. I had other things on my mind.

22 Malachite 81

As summer progresses, everyone is getting tenser.  When will the foreseen danger arrive?

I ordered the central pump stopped, since the drain slits can handle the water level on their own now.  The milita can focus their energies far more usefully by keeping a sharp eye out for any pesky monkeys, angry birds, or other, as yet unknown, dangers.

1 Galena 81

Mestthos did know something we didn’t.

She’s named her daughter “Lokum”.  But I think I’ll call her Tangledattics, at least in this journal, just to keep things straight.

This is going to play merry hell with the window production.

5 Galena 81

Logem reports that the figurines are done.  Only four more categories to go.  The numbers for short swords, crutches and instruments look much better than I was afraid they might back in spring.  The windows, though.  What in Armok’s name does Bomrek need two hundred windows for?!?

11 Galena 81

Where is it?  Where is it!?  Did they, they couldn’t have, could they?  Those lying, thieving, inquisitive nuisance pests!  They did!  They lied! 

Kangaroos aren’t dangerous!

13 Galena 81

They are very skittish.

Which dwarf was it who said “laughter is good for the soul”?  I’m no scholar, but maybe Dr. Urist would know.

14 Galena 81

Spriggans is lobbying for some kangaroo cheese to feed to Avuz.  Apparently he likes it.  But trapping kangaroos…not a priority.

28 Galena 81

Well, that ended up being an anti-climax.  Lying kobolds.  Not that I’m complaining, since the quota is almost done as a result.

And, more importantly, the top level of the aquifer is almost finished.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, that season went much more smoothly (and quickly) than I had expected.  So here's the update, a bit earlier than I anticipated.
Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2016, 06:08:34 pm »

Brilliant. Simply marvelous.
Also, PTW. Dunno why I haven't before now.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »

o How many are pump operators, anyway? Can't afford to ditch much with the poulation.

And, hm, yeah, dwarves are unagile.

And very much not cave adapted. Usually, a boon. Here, maybe a boon?

o Hm. Lots of items brought to depot. Grinds the fort to halt. Maybe smaller number of more valuable items would help save that labor? "Bring item to depot" is also a production job of sorts.

Though it sounds like you need all the stuff brought ...oh wait. Import cap. I forgot, welp.

o And to think, there's another level below.

o Why the fear of danger, now? Maybe I should reread last chapter...Mm.

o Ugh. Why is window production so slow? Is it the break? Is it the praying? At 5 days per window, that'd have taken only a heap over half a year, and the glassmaker ain't dabbling anymore.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:00 pm »

Journal of Airith

Well, this past season just seemed to take FOREVER to pass, IDK why, but it seemed like time just didn't want to move forward. Oh well, it's probably just me.

Anywho, other than my cuddlebuns reciting some excellent poetry to me in bed last night (I actually have no idea what poetry even is but it sounded nice to me) nothing of note has transpired of late.That Tayldis dropped by again and promptly ran off. I actually feel sorry for that little bugger, for some reason, seeing him every-so-often gives me some assurance that the world is still spinning. Most of the other dwarves give me weird looks for expressing that opinion, but I couldn't care any less.

You know... I haven't asked my sweety-poo for a wedding gift yet... I wonder if I could get away with asking him to capture Tayldis and give him to me as a pet... I'll have to ask him, with all of these quotas it'll be an unnecessary strain on our workforce but I think I can get away with it.

... I also have a secret to share with you journal. I am an opportunist to the core, I'm always ready to pounce on anyone to further my own goals. But when I met Lotu, I realized that I would do anything to help him, and I would support him fully.

That brings me to this, that Bomrek better be ready, the stress he's been putting on my Lotu, and his plots to dispose of us will be repaid. Blood will be spilled, and heads will roll.

Also would I look good in white?

[OOC: This is perhaps my favorite character to RP. I've never done a married woman before. As a guy IRL, it has its difficulties, but its fun. I like to think of Airith as a sociopathic yandere. Lotu is her only connection to reality and civility...
God help anyone who messes with Lotu] 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:43:55 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »

o How many are pump operators, anyway? Can't afford to ditch much with the poulation.

Just the three axedwarves/woodcutters.  I decided the cross-training might be appropriate.  And only one of those is pumping at a time, because all the other pumps are powered by machinery.  It's only the central pump that requires tight control at times.

o Hm. Lots of items brought to depot. Grinds the fort to halt. Maybe smaller number of more valuable items would help save that labor? "Bring item to depot" is also a production job of sorts.

The stuff I trade to non-dwarven caravans is all either lying around in the depot, or within twelve tiles of the depot, so the slowdown isn't that noticeable.  I do take advantage of each caravan to slooowwly move the quota over, so that there's less during the frantic weeks.

Though it sounds like you need all the stuff brought ...oh wait. Import cap. I forgot, welp.

Yeah.  25,000  It's not as high as you might think, at this point.

Actually, all of the in-between levels are easy, and very quick compared to this one.  It's the bottom-most one that's going to be the other challenge, typically (and even it isn't bad).

o Why the fear of danger, now? Maybe I should reread last chapter...Mm.

Story-wise, the dwarves have come to associate a kobold appearance at the beginning of the season with a threat appearing in the second/third month.  But that correlation didn't work this season.   :P

o Ugh. Why is window production so slow? Is it the break? Is it the praying? At 5 days per window, that'd have taken only a heap over half a year, and the glassmaker ain't dabbling anymore.

Two reasons:
a) Either Spriggans or the glassmakers always seem to be eating/sleeping/drinking/praying/socializing/etc. (and not by design), and Mestthos (the back up glassmaker) has skilled up only to "Professional".
b) Charcoal production is slow, because of the wood hauling getting canceled every time a dwarf see a harmless badger or other "terrifying" wildlife within twenty tiles, and the stockpiled wood gets stolen by carpenters and crafters trying to fulfill their own quotas.

[OOC: God help anyone who messes with Lotu] 

Ever hear of "still waters"?

On another note, any new requests for trades?  Fall has the liaison meeting...

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:07:17 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »

Don't think anything even approaches military for cross-training .v

But pumping needs to be done, nevertheless.

Oh, that's pretty convenient.

Well, less than single caravan's worth of stuff is never high, but with all the clothes and such that I recall, it's more like half of what it even is, I think.

It does force you to choose and leave things in interesting way. Why, solitary divine material instruments would be more expensive by themselves.

Huh. Well, I'll be waiting. Not sure how in-between levels could be lot easier - you have the powertrain, but that's it. Though that reminds me of the 3x4 aquier breach with pumps on wiki.

Ah, didn't make the connection myself.

Ah. I forgot about charcoal, I'm so used to getting magma, however deep it is, up within first year.

Hey, Ryukan, if you're certain to keep RPing, there are ways to modify a dwarf personality with dfhack, I think.

But what sort of personality should Airith have, in dwarf description terms?
Though kinda tough sell, no dwarves have even gotten into a fight with one another yet, I think. (It'd probably be most convient for Dame de la Licorne if you wrote that into a script to erase/rewrite current Airith).

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2016, 11:33:38 am »

Either Spriggans or the glassmakers always seem to be eating/sleeping/drinking/praying/socializing/etc."
Yep ! I'm lazy by nature ! ;)

Actually, all of the in-between levels are easy, and very quick compared to this one.  It's the bottom-most one that's going to be the other challenge, typically (and even it isn't bad).
I don't get it. Why would they be easier than the first one ?
The last one being trickier I can understand, but the middle ones... Never pierced aquifers with a 11x11+ area before.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 17, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »

I don't get it. Why would they be easier than the first one ?
The last one being trickier I can understand, but the middle ones... Never pierced aquifers with a 11x11+ area before.

I'll post pictures.  Part of the first one being so long is that my OCD nature refuses to let me channel out the floor above.

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »

Ah. It makes far more sense now, then. Yeah, I've tried sideways access with stone aquifers breaching the caverns - miners get pushed away two tiles in from drainage quite trivially.

If you hypothetically were to channel or downstair it out, could restore it by obsidian casting and digging away the obsidian - this reverts the floor to layer material on that square.

Of course, accurately flooding the central stairway with magma and then water might be even larger undertaking.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2016, 04:54:00 pm »

Of course, accurately flooding the central stairway with magma and then water might be even larger undertaking.

Nooooooo!  Getting magma that far up and then back down, that would give me nightmares.  And I'm sure I would end up taking a page out of NCommander's playbook by accidentally flooding the fort with magma and killing everyone except a kid or two.

Not gonna happen.

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2016, 05:19:08 pm »

01 Limestone 81

Those turkeys were a good investment, 24 just matured enough to harvest for leather.  That should keep Olon happy for a while.

02 Limestone 81

Since the aquifer is now draining faster than it is filling, I’ve ordered the upper pump and its drainage system dismantled.

07 Limestone 81

Olon is insisting that we hold a Turkey Slaughter Festival.  He’s been displaying his new cloak design to anyone who’ll stop for five seconds.  I have to admit, it’s one of his best works yet.

10 Limestone 81

On the tenth day of Limestone, Armok gave to me, 10 adult turkeys….  That gives me an idea for a poem…

13 Limestone 81

The quota collectors have been spotted in the distance, and we’re short 25 windows.  This is going to be bad.  I ordered the balance of the quota moved, and went to talk to Spriggans, Mebzuth and Mestthos.

Spriggans was Lotu’s first stop, and he found her in the common area, easily enough.  “Spriggans, I know you’re a relatively new mother and all, but the caravan’s been spotted and we don’t have enough windows.”

She glared.  “Yer ‘spectin’ me ter give up mah time wif mah baby jes’ so tha’ prick can have windows?”  She spit out the last word viciously.

Lotu winced.  “Yes.”

“Fuck off.”

I hate conflict.  I really hate conflict.  “Look, I haven’t been pushing you, have I?  You’ve been taking...how much?  At least 1 day every four for yourself.  All I’m asking –“ at her look he corrected, “all right, telling, you to do is work for a couple of weeks so the glassmakers have a chance to finish.”

Spriggans stubbornly continued to feed baby Lokum.

“If it doesn’t get done, what do you want to bet somebody is going to ask for someone else’s head on a platter?”

A fulminating glare later, Spriggans gathered up baby, food and beer and stalked out of the room.

Lotu sighed.  Why can’t they just get the jobs done before I have to get on their asses?

He found the two glassmakers hanging out in the brewery, carefully evaluating Ral’s latest brew.  “Lotu.”  The dwarves nodded in greeting.

“Listen guys, I’ve been lenient all year, but the traders are coming and we’re short windows.  You need to get back to work.  Now!”

Unperturbed, Mebzuth shrugged.  “There’s no charcoal.”

“That’s why Spriggans was my first stop.  She’s making some for you as we speak.”

“Have you tried Ral’s –“ Mebzuth started.

“You can take it with you.  But if you’re not back in your respective glassworks by the time I’ve had my taste, I swear I’m going to have Imic chain you to them!”

Mebzuth and Mestthos looked at each other, then Lotu, then back at each other.  Picking up their half-empty mugs, they scurried out the door.

Lotu lowered his head to his hands.  Why me?

Well out of earshot, Mestthos murmured, “What gotten into him?  He’s usually so easy-going and reasonable?”

Mebzuth shrugged.  “Mebbe we need a new leader.  The stress is clearly too much for poor Lotu.”

“Any ideas for who?”

Mebzuth shrugged.  “Let’s think on’t.”

15 Limestone 81

That means it’s time for…

Maybe Bomrek’s been replaced?  No, of course not.  That would be too easy.

And all of those groups are well south of us, so who cares.  I’ve updated our map of the southern region:

OOC: The four labeled in black are the forts/outposts controlled by the four groups mentioned.  Olin Fatheroils is the mayor of Bodicewheels.

Olin Fatheroils…the name didn’t ring a bell.  And Echoworked didn’t have any details.

Moving on.

I requested mine carts, since we don’t have time to build them, and both Airith and Dr. Urist have been making noises about “highly inefficient hauling practices”.  Apparently, mine carts are necessary for efficiency, at least according to Dr. Urist.

Dr. Urist also gave me a list.  Unfortunately, it was written in such apparent excitement (or at the last minute) that I found it impossible to decipher other than something that looked like “venchor”.  Venom?  Ichor?  From what?  I ordered a little bit of all of the extracts, just in case.  Except milk.  I don’t think she would have any use for milk.  OOC: Yes, I know none of the above can actually be used in-game at the moment.

I debated ordering leather, but the turkeys and dogs are producing well, so I added thread to the list and called it good.

And, the moment I had been dreading had arrived.

And Swordgangs has three new additions, so we need to provide for 53 dwarves now.  Lovely.

Huh.  Except for the maces, this actually looks doable without too much effort.  Now…how to get 53 maces?  I suppose NCommander could be assigned to smith them, but I hate using our steel for that.

I need some inspiration.

02 Sandstone 81

The Barricade of Fortresses was no help.  I still don't know what to do about the maces.  But there's a letter from the Royal Cheesemaker sitting on my desk.  I guess I'd better see what King Dodok has to say.

This is an exceptionally-crafted sheet of vellum.  It is decorated with spikes of draltha bone and pig leather.  It is embossed with a masterfully-crafted image of a dwarf and dwarves in wax.  The dwarves are raising the dwarf.  The image relates to the ascension of Dodok Charmedmirrors to the position of King of the Figure of Diving in the year 1.  This image is the personal seal of the king.

Attention: Lotu Sizzlediron

I am pleased with Finderboards’s success in completing the shipment to Swordgangs in 81, especially given your previous failures.  I knew that pointing out your previous dereliction would have results.  I anticipate seeing you continue in this vein.

Signed: His Majesty by the Grace of Armok, King Dodok Charmedmirrors, Cheesemaker

Great.

10 Sandstone 81

I guess it’s time to go over the quota, and make sure it’s all there.

In return, the traders left 8 bars of weapons-grade metal, all of their thread, 2 -maces- and some random cloth.

Before trade:                                                 After trade:

15 Sandstone 81

By the time the merchants left, we were 15 windows short

I tried to explain to Echoworked about the false summer alarm, and how difficult it is to produce charcoal.  He just looked at me disbelievingly.  “If you’d gotten to magma, there would have been no problem.”  He said.  I showed him the aquifer, but he just kept in that vein.  “Real dwarves can pierce an aquifer in a season.”  I got the message.  He thinks we’re slackers.  I hope his grandchildren will be able to knock some sense into his thick skull before he leaves.

16 Sandstone 81

The plan of for the new quota is fairly straightforward.

I ordered all the thread for next year’s quota set aside and forbade anyone, especially Sodel, from touching it.  I did the same with the necessary leather.  Olon wasn’t happy, but the turkeys should make up the difference and keep him happy.

I forbade the meat barrel in the food stockpile, and getting the last few meals-worth will be easy.  We’ll be living on fish for a while.

The plants are already done, as are the seeds.  Lorbam is overjoyed at finding a use for the peach pits, pecans, cashews and various other tree seeds that have been accumulating over the last several years.

Lorbam reports only 539 pairs of shoes and socks.  Somehow, I think that may be enough.  Yeah.  I need to go thank Olon and Sodel for cranking them out in their spare time.

We have all the toys we need, but I’m going to order some more made anyway.  The last thing anyone wants is a tantruming child who’s lost their favorite toy.

Past experience tells me that we need to make at least triple the crowns and rings we need, since the nicest ones tend to stay here.  Hmmm, could I put in a special request…?

The maces are the problem.  We have 16 weapons-grade bars, which would bring the total up to 18.  Imic’s going to scream at having his armor being put off yet again.  I’ll have NCommander start with the non-steel bars.  Maybe I’ll come up with something before she has to use up our hard-come-by steel?

18 Sandstone 81

An indistinct yell pinged on Lotu’s ear as he struggled with the clay for the wall.  Gradually the shriek resolved into a single word, as the dwarf raced down the levels.  “Lotu!”

Lotu cursed as the clay boulder barely missed his toe, thudding into the water next to where it was supposed to go.  “What!”

NCommander splashed into the shallow water.  “How dare you!”

What did I do?  Having learned some self-preservation after his marriage, he wisely refrained from voicing the question, and instead waiting expectantly.

NCommander splashed up to him and jabbed her finger into his sternum.  “You ordered the new dogs killed!  How dare you?  You know I’m supposed to train them!”

Oh.  That.

“Well, you haven’t had time to train them, and we’re starting to get overrun with them.  You have, what 20?  No, 24 war animals following you right now, do you really need more?”

“Yes!  I won’t be satisfied until every dwarf has at least one war animal.”

Lotu studied the milling pack.  “Then start by assigning these, before adding more to the problem.”

“Gah!”  NCommander clenched her fists.  “Don’t. Butcher. The. Dogs!”

Lotu crossed his arms across his chest, and tried for a conciliatory tone.  “Look, I’m not stopping you from training any that you want.  But any that don’t get trained will get sent to the butcher’s.  One way or another, they’ll be useful.”

Clearly, Lotu wasn’t going to countermand his orders.  With one last wordless shriek of outrage, NCommander spun around and stalked away in a huff.  You can’t stop me from training them anyway, Lotu!  And you can bet someone else would be more respectful of my requests.  Especially when this isn’t the first time I’ve brought it up!

21 Sandstone 81

Lorbam and I decided that 500 crowns and 1000 rings should be enough to cover both our wants and Bomrek’s needs.  We probably won’t be able to make all of them this year, but it should give us enough unclaimed to ship with the quota next year.  And I’ve put in a special request with Mebzuth, after promising not to hound him about work this year.  That’ll be an easy promise to keep, given that the only glass we need is for our own purposes.  No deadlines!

Edzul was really happy about returning to the ashery.  Apparently, potash making is his highest skill, and he was feeling dejected after not using it since Bomrek’s clear glass obsession.  I’m glad I made somebody happy, that’s rare these days.

I moved Mestthos over to help Spriggans, since we need to burn a lot of wood to make ash for Edzul and charcoal for Mebzuth.  For Mestthos, she seems doomed to always be an apprentice.  I’ll have to see what I can shift her to as a permanent job.

Airith has ensconced herself back in her masonry.  She’s supposed to be finalizing the plans for the next level of the aquifer, but she’s been mentioning other “projects”.  I suppose she’ll tell me when she’s ready.

I’ve declared a short vacation period until the end of the month for the 1st and 2nd shifts, as a reward for all of our hard work during the past year.  The first two rounds of drinks were on me, we deserve them.  It’s amazing how much happier people got when that announcement made the rounds.

26 Sandstone 81

Apparently Fatheroils has a very widespread reputation.  Echoworked made a point of informing his children, and they rapidly spread the news to everyone else.  The mood of the fort is vengeful, to say the least.  Only Airith, Edzul and Udil seem to be exempt.  For Edzul and Udil, barely out of childhood, I suppose that is understandable.  But what is Airith focusing on, that she doesn’t seem aware of the main source of conversation these days?

The stories others have told, of children dumped in magma, nobles used as titan bait, civilians forced to train against fully armed goblins…somehow each tale is more horrifying than the last.

But as long as they’re focusing on him, my friends aren’t worrying about our incomplete quota.  15 windows.  How important are 15 windows, really?  And then I remember Urist Addlepated, with his spear made of pear wood instead of sand pear wood.

We.  Are.  So.  Screwed.

01 Timber 81

3rd shift is celebrating their first true vacation in a year.  May they enjoy it, I have a couple of bots of wall left to dig.

02 Timber 81

Imic wandered northeast.  This is boring.  Where are Bomrek’s spies?  Dodok’s informers?  And Lotu keeps pushing off my armor.  It’s more important than some maces, dagnabbit!

A sudden rustling in the bushes jerked him from his thoughts, just in time to hear a howling shriek as a monitor lizard came trundling down toward him.

Imic dodged left, hacking with his battle axe as he went.  The sharp blade struck the lizard’s right rear leg with a spurt of blood.  Swinging the axe around in an arc, he struck the belly.  Pulling back, he realized the axe had gotten stuck.

Screaming in pain, the lizard struck out, but missed the twisting dwarf.  Punching the lizard’s snout, Imic wrestled the axe blade out of the deep gash.

As the lizard twisted in renewed fury, Imic swung the axe again, and this time the blade bit deep into the tail, only to get stuck a second time as the lizard writhed.  A second vicious punch to the head freed the axe once again.

Ducking and dodging the lizard’s increasingly erratic attacks, Imic proceeded to methodically remove each of the four legs with some well-placed strikes, then chopped off the tongue, causing it to fly off into the distance in an arc.  With the monitor lizard finally incapacitated, the dwarf aimed a neat, precise strike to the neck, ending the battle.

Imic didn’t have so much as a bruise.

Hah, take that, Mooney!  Who has the most impressive kill list now, huh?

11 Timber 81

I knocked down that last wall today.  This aquifer level is done!  Only another god-knows-how-many to go.  But it looks like Airith’s plans for the next ones will go much more quickly, with much less drowning.

Well, I might as well get set up, starting with the rest of the retaining walls.

18 Timber 81

Now to start channeling.

23 Timber 81

Time to set up the first pumps.

25 Timber 81

It’s going to take Airith a while to build the pumps, so I’m going to go work on my poetry.

NCommander really shows promise as a poet.  Everyone in the common room listened with interest and seemed to enjoy it.  I can learn something from her.

28 Timber 81

Winter is around the corner, and our production numbers look good.

Except for the maces.  Does Bomrek always have to choose one thing that’s virtually impossible to produce?

Current character list:

Edits: Gah, typos!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:13:10 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »

Late Autumn 81, Sworgangs

Meng went over the quota numbers a second time, then a third.  Yep.  Finderboards are definitely short 15 windows.  But given that they sent everything else…  Still, that argument won’t work with Bomrek.  Those poor suckers.

Picking up his writing tablet, he paced toward Bomrek’s office.  Office?  More like throne room.  As he walked, he passed the occasional + on the walls.  There were two hundred of those + in total, each one marking where Bomrek wanted a window looking into the caverns, or looking out over the valley, or allowing viewing points into the major meeting areas, temples and dining rooms.  Meng shook his head as he passed yet another one.  No, Bomrek won’t be happy at all.  And the fulfillment of the rest won’t be worth a damn.

Arriving at his destination, he paused to take a deep breath, squared his shoulders, then pushed open the door.

Much later, after Bomrek had calmed down, he called for paper and ink and set about writing two letters to send home with the caravan.  The one to the king, as one might expect, consisted of complaints and accusations.  The other, well.  If it happened to fall into the wrong hands, someone familiar with Bomrek’s public attitude would have been very surprised at its apologetic, one might almost say, whiny, tone.  Oddly enough, it carried no salutation, nor addressee.  Yet even so, when the caravan left, it rode securely within the traders' mailbag.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2016, 08:07:13 pm »

Heh. If getting magma that far up, might as well take advantage of the chance to have staircases directly inside workshops.

Hmm. Turkeys. And you say they shoud carry Ral's brew.

So much to do, so little time!

25 windows...and 25 dwarves...Hm. Logicistics and supply would still matter, ...And you ended producing 10 with 2+1 in a month or so. That's 6 days per window, even after telling people to stop slacking.

Unfortunate.

Four new mayors? Isn't that where goblins are. I think I know what happened to old ones....Or not, if there were no battles. Odd.

Heh. "We can't afford to save money." said Edge's boss. I don't really recall how much minecart experience you had before, but they're bit pricey - 50*quality*base a pop, and you probably will get metal ones. -steel minecart- will go 3000, *2 for fast tracking and *1,5 for trader profit margin, for total of 9k.

Well. You could get some maces from visitors, maybe? It's a thought.

As far that idea goes, the imported wealth sure dropped, and I'm not sure how visitors affect it.

Otherwise, it is what...1 bar per mace, right? 2 melting, 2 smithing and 5 charcoal-making jobs to get the material for 1 mace, with total of 530 jobs.

I think you'll need more than 1 forger.

Potash might just slightly task, given the multi-step long-distane hauling process, but overall should be thrice as easy as the windows.

Overall, it seems like Bomrek is quite hungry. Seeds, plants, meat, potash....Doesn't he know it'll arrive to late?

Unless it is to help a marching army, I suppose.  Footwear and Maces would make sense in that case

Can dwarves wear multiple crowns? Where's the previous ones? It seems odd....

Oh yeah. Has Lotu ever trained anything other than a dog? Will they? It's shame if that skilling up was for naught...

Ugh. That many pumps?

I suggest mass-enabling labours to build them - I've had building 10 pumps take several months, before, for some reason.

Still, seems your plan is "divide the (red) sea". I suppose the ground is red.

Hm. Interesting situation.

One thing that springs to mind is that with this trade agreements, the others do serve their side faithfully, procuring whatever asked - though obviously they can't be asked impossible things - and they're willing to pay on top for goods.

There's much grumbling, but on the face of it the trade agreement is much fair - if you don't consider the import cap nor the crazy demands.

There's some room here for arguing from Tradition. Such a nice both ugly and beautiful wor(l)d.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2016, 06:40:32 am »

Overreaction is... Over... Thing.
I swear, once this reaches 20 pages I am nominating it for the hall if legends.
Actually, I'm going to do it now.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2016, 10:31:55 am »

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

01 Moonstone 81

With winter we are back on our normal break schedule.  While 1st shift gathered in the common area, I went down to study Airith’s progress on the pumps.  That wife of mine is quite the architect.

04 Moonstone 81

Dr. Urist walked down the central spiral, heading for the main stockpile, muttering to herself as she often did.  Wandering across the hallway, the clatter of dry-pumping pumps was fairly well buffered by the thick sand walls.  Still, something tickled at the back of her brain and, on a hunch, she veered into the nearest pump-room.  Everything seemed fine.  Turning she started to leave, then froze, staring at the floor.  The pecan wood log floor.  Where there should have been a hole to connect the power train to the lower level.

“Fuck.” 

A quick round of the pumping rooms later, Lotu’s not going to like this.  He really wants that aquifer pierced.

Pulling out her pen, she started scribbling on the back of her ingredient list.  Though while I’m at it, I can make some other adjustments.

Studying the quick sketch and back-of-the-envelope calculations she had just completed, she nodded to herself.  That should do it.  Now to convince Lotu.

05 Moonstone 81

Well, at least Dr. Urist figured it out early enough that we won’t waste a great deal of time fixing the problem.  But Airith is our only mason, and my darling has her hands full designing and building the new pumps.  I went and looked at the problem ones, and I think I see how to take the pieces apart.  I have nothing else to do right now, so I’ll try it and see.  Even if I do it wrong, I know how to get my sweetie back into a good mood.  In fact, Mebzuth should be done soon, and that will go a long way.

14 Moonstone 81

Goden’s name-day has arrived, and his parents, both on 2nd shift, took the day off to celebrate.  It’s a pity that it’ll be another 11 years before he can be put to work.  We need a permanent smelter on duty, it’s the only way we’ll get enough metal to make anything useful.

21 Moonstone 81

A plaintive cry drifted from the western jungle, rising to a shriek, then dying off, only to be answered by another.  High on the battlements, Besmar was on watch duty.  Listening to the succession of cries, he walked over to the stairs and called down, “Heads up below!  There are capuchins about!”

“Pesky nuisances.”  Muttered Spriggans as she passed by with a log for her ever-hungry furnace.

“Thievin’ animals.”  Responded Lyra, who was heading out for more wood.

“Eh, they’re harmless.”  Imic scoffed, hefting his woodcutting axe.

26 Moonstone 81

Lokum was on patrol, while Imic and Udil chopped some more trees.  The real enemy here’s the forest, not the animals.  Imic thought, in irritation.  A proper axedwarf, reduced to this.

A rustling in some nearby bushes nearly passed unnoticed, but then he saw the round little head, and beady little eyes.  “Oh no, you don’t!”  He started forward, then froze.  “Shit!  I need my battle axe, not the tree-cutting one!”

He started toward the fort, but jumped back when a white-furred paw swiped out, claws extended.  The axe swung wildly, forcing the capuchin to back off temporarily.  He headed toward the fort again, only to dodge the capuchin once more.

As the capuchin charged again, Imic wound up and let fly with his left fist, bopping the capuchin on the nose.  It went flying, head over heels and, woodcutting axe or no, Imic charged after it and neatly chopped it in half.

Drawn by the sounds of combat, Lokum came racing around the corner to see that Udil was having problems of his own.

A moment later, Lokum had decapitated the nearest one, and two more died in swift bloody succession.

Well, that was exciting.  Imic thought.  Not.

27 Moonstone 81

By the time the Pale Roads returned from their tribulations, most of the fort had already heard the tale.  The axedwarves entered the common room in time to hear,

Oh, what to do, what to do?
Even though my blade is true,
This axe only knows tall trees,
And all else is its disease.

Although Imic’s arm is strong,
And Udil’s heart goes along,
Without a good battleaxe,
You cannot escape the facts.

Only a battleaxe kills,
Especially in the foothills.
A cap’chin fears that alone,
And all else can only groan.

Lotu finished the last verse, grinning.  “Well, what do you think?”

Udil’s and Imic’s faces went ruddy in embarrassment.  Then, Imic roared, raised his axe high and shook it in Lotu’s direction.  “I shoul’ get y’ fer tha’!  Like ye’d do any be’er!”

Lotu raised his hands, palms out. “I admit it.  I’d take to my heels.  But you have to admit it was funny, and we can do with a laugh.”

Imic wasn’t appeased, and the other dwarves quickly made themselves scarce until he calmed down again.

01 Opal 81

Airith has been spending quite a bit of time in the temple zone.  What is she planning?

15 Opal 81

Well, the capuchin fiasco last month seems to have motivated the Pale Roads to increase their training.

19 Opal 81

We’ve finally finished fixing the pumps on the main level.  And now all eight of them can transfer power down, if necessary.  Dr. Urist also connected all of the pump stacks, so we can shuttle power around wherever we need it.

Now that the aquifer pumps are in working order, I’ve started channeling and building the east retaining wall.

22 Opal 81

And time to move the pumps to the west side.

09 Obsidian 81

Is it me, or is this winter unusually quiet?

15 Obsidian 81

While waiting for Airith to finish designing the last of the pumps, I went ahead and dug out some of the dry bauxite.  Might as well, right?

20 Obsidian 81

With the pumps built, it’s time to channel and build the anchoring end walls.

25 Obsidian 81

And time to finish the west retaining wall.

27 Obsidian 81

And now Airith and I get to shift the pumps to the north side.  I’d forgotten how well my darling and I work together.

28 Obsidian 81

Well, with winter on its way out, it’s time to check the quota.

Those maces.  NCommander is going to have to start using our steel.

OOC: Winter was very quiet, and my framerate has gone up quite dramatically.  :D
Current character list:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36