Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What you gonna do, brave investigators!?

Look for Dafeng
Deliver report
(option for non-playas so they can see votes too ;v)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 99

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread! DED  (Read 87749 times)

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey mopsy, I just saw your mug, it's pretty decent except for the fact that you have zero shading on the armor so it's completely flat looking. Also the outline color is not great?

Darn it, you noticed. The shading on the original mug got lost somehow while I was rearranging the palette, but I thought I could get away with it. I even chose a dark color for the armor to try and make it less obvious, but that was clearly to no avail. How about this?

I honestly can't see what it is that bothers you about the outlines, though. Do they look too dark, too light or the wrong hue?

It's a bit better yeah. As for the outline, the issue is you combined the "shadow" tone with the outline color. It's causing some fading that shouldn't be happening basically.

Edit: Also you've got some stray blue pixels in between the collar and the neck in a couple of places
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:36:11 am by Swordstar »

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile

I just noticed that GiglameshDespair has written Flora's bio to imply that she's the mage/healer in the initial four. Arnold's current bio implies that he's that healer. I'm willing to rewrite the bio if necessary, making Arnold some reinforcement that joins later, perhaps because straightforward healing duty isn't Flora's speciality. On the other hand, if Gig is willing to make way for a new player, then I'd be happy to start playing right away.

Another reasonable option is to leave the decision to Haspen, letting him choose the character that fits better into Astleich's initial group, or is better in general.

Swordstar: I see what you mean. The shared shadow/outline tone is actually present the original mug, but like you said, offical does not necessarily mean great. I'm aware of the stray blues, I kept them because I thought they looked OK, but removing them shouldn't be a problem.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Err, I think you misunderstood my point. So the shadow tone is in the original mug, yes. But the shadow tone and the outline color are not the same. The outline color is typically a dull purple-ish color and the shadow is more of a grey brown.

As for the stuff with Flora, Flora and Iris are sisters, so yeah the plan is to try and get them both in during the prologue. Seems unlikely that Gig would plan something like that with me and then swap it so I unno.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I am intending to apply for prologue slot, yeah, since my character is interlinked with swordstar's, and if I change it it'd make her change as well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Err, I think you misunderstood my point. So the shadow tone is in the original mug, yes. But the shadow tone and the outline color are not the same. The outline color is typically a dull purple-ish color and the shadow is more of a grey brown.

Well, here is the original mug:

As you can see, there is both a dull brownish purple and a dark purple, but the dark purple is used both for deep shadows and for most of the outlines, including those on the armor and around the periphery of the mug.

As for the stuff with Flora, Flora and Iris are sisters, so yeah the plan is to try and get them both in during the prologue. Seems unlikely that Gig would plan something like that with me and then swap it so I unno.
I am intending to apply for prologue slot, yeah, since my character is interlinked with swordstar's, and if I change it it'd make her change as well.

Alright, then. I won't challenge your joint attempt to get your characters into the prologue, unless Haspen specifically requests Arnold as a starting character.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:21:43 am by Mopsy »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Can anyone point me to a good splicing tutorial? I'd ask for a spriter to help me out with my mug, but I'm a prideful little git and would rather learn how to do it myself instead of bothering people. :P

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, here is the original mug:

As you can see, there is both a dull brownish purple and a dark purple, but the dark purple is used both for deep shadows and for most of the outlines, including those on the armor and around the periphery of the mug.

... Right, you're proving my point. You're using the brown for the outline instead of the purple, which when combined with the brown elsewhere in the mug you get a weird fade effect that doesn't quite work. Also another part of the problem is you darkened the outline and shadow color but didn't do anything about the hair or skin colors which is causing contrast between those as well as armor/body area. You really want to try and keep similar saturation pallet when you're doing mugs otherwise you get things that don't look quite right.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Can anyone point me to a good splicing tutorial? I'd ask for a spriter to help me out with my mug, but I'm a prideful little git and would rather learn how to do it myself instead of bothering people. :P
Trial and error. :P
It's how I learned. You stick bits together, see if it works, if it doesn't you fiddle with it more.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

I believe I will go with FEF5 recruitment format, that's it, get 8 people in, start the game, get through Prologue or chapter, and then start accepting people 'on the fly' as Chapters go ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And you can always ask for help! Make a WIP then ask people for what looks good, what looks bad, etc. Lots of people are willing to give advice.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... Right, you're proving my point. You're using the brown for the outline instead of the purple, which when combined with the brown elsewhere in the mug you get a weird fade effect that doesn't quite work. Also another part of the problem is you darkened the outline and shadow color but didn't do anything about the hair or skin colors which is causing contrast between those as well as armor/body area. You really want to try and keep similar saturation pallet when you're doing mugs otherwise you get things that don't look quite right.

To make sure I'm following you here: We agree that in the original mug, the same dark purple tone is used both for the deepest shadows and most of the outlines, right? Furthermore, in my edited mug, the same dark brown tone is used for the corresponding shadows and outlines, right?

If I understand you correctly, your recommendations are to use a dark purple instead of brown for the outlines and shadows, and make that purple lighter than the brown is in the current mug. Is this correct?

For context, here's Arnold's current mug next to the original, Bowtie's (the latest one, I think), and Gig's:

Time for some investigation. Bowtie's mug uses a very dark purple (56,32,64) for both shadows and outlines. Gig's uses the same dark purple for the outlines. The proto-Arnold mug uses a less dark purple (88,64,96). The light skin tone (248,248,208) is the same in all four sprites. If I replaced my dark brown (64,34,32) with the dark purple, and perhaps darkened the lighter outlines on Arnold's hair a bit, then everything would be nice and consistent, right?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

I used the same color for outlines as shadows because of a coloring mistake, shh. :P
Black lives matter.

F.O.E.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time for some investigation. Bowtie's mug uses a very dark purple (56,32,64) for both shadows and outlines. Gig's uses the same dark purple for the outlines. The proto-Arnold mug uses a less dark purple (88,64,96). The light skin tone (248,248,208) is the same in all four sprites. If I replaced my dark brown (64,34,32) with the dark purple, and perhaps darkened the lighter outlines on Arnold's hair a bit, then everything would be nice and consistent, right?

Dude her point is that you completely got rid of one of his skin tones and replaced it with your new outline, making it look not right.

Edit: Also I lied, making an archer.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, thank you FOE for saying in few words what I was trying to say in many.

Skin tone has five shades! Four main ones and then the greyish brown that's in things like the mouth, and ear outline, as well as in clothes and armor sometimes. Then there's the outline color that does things like main chin outline until it curves into the neck, eye stuff, as well as general outline. You're making those two things the same shade which is causing lots of blending that shouldn't happen. SB and Gig are using a darker pallet than the base mug you used to make yours, so they have a darker outline. The lightest skin tone is the same but the darker skin tones aren't the same. So you'd still need to fiddle with that as well as fiddle with the hair colors some.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude her point is that you completely got rid of one of his skin tones and replaced it with your new outline, making it look not right.
Skin tone has five shades! Four main ones and then the greyish brown that's in things like the mouth, and ear outline, as well as in clothes and armor sometimes. Then there's the outline color that does things like main chin outline until it curves into the neck, eye stuff, as well as general outline. You're making those two things the same shade which is causing lots of blending that shouldn't happen. SB and Gig are using a darker pallet than the base mug you used to make yours, so they have a darker outline. The lightest skin tone is the same but the darker skin tones aren't the same. So you'd still need to fiddle with that as well as fiddle with the hair colors some.

Ohhh, now I get what you're talking about. That's actually another thing that made me pause, go "Hrhmmm...", then decide that nobody else would ever care anyway. I'll try to deal with that, and take a look at the other things you mention.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 99