Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 124687 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:31 pm »

We talk about all android games here, right? I don't think it will fit on smartphone, too little screen.
Oh, and i just remembered that not's not only on android. Damn.
Pocket is pocket. iPad or whatever apple's doing these days fits in a pocket. My kindle fits in my pocket. A cat tablet is fine, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 17, 2017, 02:37:48 pm »

The Sorcery! series is fantastic... though I don't remember it being quite so silly.

I ended up giving up like 80% through 3 though, because I could not figure out the proper positioning to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's probably a guide for it now, so I should revisit it...

Also, your characters carry over from one game to the next (it's a singular overarching story, sort of like the Lone Wolf series) so you don't really want to skip.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:23 pm »

Used to love the Sorcery series (and the other Fighting Fantasy books). Does it still have the "hope you remember what each spell does" thing?

I played a bit of Lineage II after being bombarded with their current ad campaign on YouTube. Umm, it's really well produced, and probably has plenty of content and story. BUT, it's basically a power hungry screen saver. As in: everything is automatic. Walking to quests can be auto, fighting can be auto, potion use is auto, the only real player interaction necessary is accepting quests and messing around with inventory. There's probably a bit a skill in PvP, but otherwise, it's a screen saver with occasional user input required. Which is a pity. It looks really nice, it sounds really good, and even the combat feels OK when it's not on auto. Except, it's the fastest and probably best way to play, so that's what everyone does.

So if you want a better looking, online only, 1gb+ in size version of Stick Ranger (with bigger boobs but not as fun), with slightly less player interaction necessary to play, and little to no party design or gear choices available, go for it. But I really couldn't recommend it. I'll probably play through the campaign eventually, maybe, but I still think I'll stick to SR. I don't mind shoddy graphics.

It really is a pity. Somewhere along the line they destroyed a really good, well produced game with an OK combat engine. Don't know how or why. It wouldn't have been too hard to make it easy to find quests, and they could have just zoomed out the camera a little. There's plenty else wrong with it, there's plenty that's good about it, but it ended up being a celebrity endorsed screen saver of all things. Hmmmmm.......
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:32:22 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »

Not sure if it's been suggested before but Battleheart is a damn gem of a game. It's essentially real time squad tactics where you lead a party of up to four into combat encounters with various monsters. It's pretty simplistic and not particularly deep in terms of mechanics but the fights are short and engaging enough in that you micro your melee dudes to draw aggro and activate the various abilities each class has, focus fire particularly nasty enemies and the like. There's loot involved tho it's mostly low key stuff that you upgrade when you can and maybe fuss over the trinkets everyone can wear. There's leveling too, tho it's a fairly simple and configurable in terms of what active and passive skills you pick and it's there mostly so you can maybe tailor things for certain encounters or push a character further down an archetype.
And speaking of chars, there's a dozen of them maybe a bit more, most are variations on standard classes, so your Knight comes in regular, paladin and black flavours, each specializing in their own thing, like the paladin being beefy and being able to go down the healing and support tank or a more aggressive crowd clearing role.

Best of all tho, the game is actually free, in that it doesn't have microtransactions shoved down your throat, it doesn't have obnoxious ads nor does it require any data from you. Just install and play
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2017, 05:16:06 pm »

The Sorcery! series is fantastic... though I don't remember it being quite so silly.

I ended up giving up like 80% through 3 though, because I could not figure out the proper positioning to

Also, your characters carry over from one game to the next (it's a singular overarching story, sort of like the Lone Wolf series) so you don't really want to skip.
Of course it is not so silly,i just made  up descriptions of deaths, because i don't remember them exactly.  :P
I played long time ago, and didn't killed serpent of time, but i think you don't even have any profit for doing it.
Used to love the Sorcery series (and the other Fighting Fantasy books). Does it still have the "hope you remember what each spell does" thing?
Nope. Game gives you description of what spell does what whenever you can cast them. You CAN burn your spellbook to use it as a torch closer to the end of second part and further (i think you can also sell it somewhere) which removes the tips, but
1. There are many, MANY better options to make light.
2. By this time you most likely remembered all of them anyways.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »

Of course it is not so silly,i just made  up descriptions of deaths, because i don't remember them exactly.  :P
I played long time ago, and didn't killed serpent of time, but i think you don't even have any profit for doing it.

You can still finish the book without doing so, but it's basically leaving your mission incomplete, which never feels good... It's pretty easy to finish it minimally, but getting complete runs on each chapter has been fairly tricky.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2017, 11:57:20 pm »

Battleheart costs $3.

Battleheart legacy costs $5.

Neither of these prices is “free”.

All the same, they sound like good games for the price. I think they won App Store awards, in fact.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2017, 12:15:10 am »

Battleheart costs $3.

Shows as free for me, when I check from my computer and my (Android) phone.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2017, 03:33:28 am »

Yeah, I installed it for free on my phone. Could be a free weekend thing, I've snagged games like this before.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2017, 08:19:08 am »

Strange. Maybe it’s different for the App Store.

Which reminds me, are they still doing free app of the week?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »

Don't think so.  Unless a dev does their own special.

Fist of Truth got a big update. Graphic style has been spruced up a bit, rewards for play are different (slightly worse due to no gems given), but most things can be bought with gems now (bit of a cash grab I guess). Magic dust is now more useful too, with a larger selection of cards available to buy with it. Prices, especially the monthly pack, seem pretty fair still, but it will overall be harder to get free packs out of the game. Glad I got a few decks into "pretty powerful" stage before the change, but the White Walkers decks are still deceptively powerful against my normal design much of the time. Still a great little card game, with enough of a twist compared to hearthstone etc to be worth a look.

Also played a bit of HIT, another action RPG, with a diablo 3 vibe to it. It looks really nice, it sounds really good, it has a good storyline, but guess what? It's another screen saver where you can auto most things. And since it's been around for a while, they give you a legendary weapon at the start (or I got really lucky in my free boxes), so you'll one-shot nearly everything for the first 70-100 levels, by which time it seems to loop. "Difficulty" goes up, but that consists of getting slightly better armour while knowing your weapon is as good as you'll get for another loop or two. Went the scythe chick and she was alright, tried the loli caster and felt she was OP even with tiered down weapons. I'll go through the other characters later.

This isn't to say I don't like it. It's a REALLY pretty screensaver, with a good plot and funny characters. But it might be for hangovers and stuff, for when I get sick of watching Salty Bet on twitch. Same level of boobs, lolis and random fighting action at play, with a different plot to unlimited blade works. Kind of.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:45:13 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2017, 04:43:43 pm »

Lineage 2 Revolution

This was released about a week ago in English, Android and IOS and I've been playing it since then. It's a fairly by-the-numbers eastern style MMO, which is to say slutty anime-style characters, linear maps, and a very basic active-combat system. And of course a lengthy main quest line that involves alternating 'kill 10 wolves' and 'go talk to the next person'.

With those criticisms having been said, here's what the game does right. Robust auto-play system, that lets you move to quest targets and fight with a simple tap, so you only have to worry about inventory management and ticking off those dailies. And there are a lot of dailies to do, including multiple types of dungeons focusing on different enemy types and rewards, clan quests, and free loot from the shop. Also the graphics are quite respectable for a mobile game, though you may need a decent device to handle it. All in all, it's been a decent time-killer so far.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

This just became available today. I've never actually played Animal Crossing before; always wanted to but never had the right console. So I'm looking forward to trying this out now that it's on my phone.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »

Interesting that there aren't much deeper iOS roguelikes or TBS's other than ports. For a lighter gameplay, did anyone try Imbroglio or Concrete Jungle? They look fun. Hopefully they don't get boring after a while.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2017, 03:29:19 pm »

An excellent roguelike-like is Caves, by 36Dev. Often updated, fun, challenging but repetitive gameplay. Also lots of long term upgrades for long-running games with multiple clones.

I suspect it is Android only, however.

EDIT: HyperRogue

Better production and has a really fun gameplay. Absolutely eats your battery though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:31:36 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »

Definitely not android only, heh. HyperRogue started as a PC game, iirc, then was eventually ported over to mobile early-ish in the development cycle. So you can always play it on a non-mobile comp if you reeeealllyyy want to :P

Total aside 'cause I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a port, but some of the critter's other stuff is quite neat, too. Vapors of Insanity is interesting even if it's a early beta build, ferex.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58