Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 124640 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »

I think they were talking about Caves being Android-only, not HyperRogue. Some searching of my own (since my work-supplied phone is an iPhone) doesn't turn up Caves.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »

Yeah, Caves seems to be Android only. Will check out HyperRogue, thank you.
I enjoyed 868-Hack a lot. Love the aesthetic and the whole game, music all together.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:32:17 pm by tnc »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »

Is Pathos: the Nethack Codex on iOS? If it is, I will happily recommend it.
(It is. Sure it's a port, but it's made as a mobile game, so the PC version is more like the dev version, Android and iOS is the "normal" version).

Shattered Pixel Dungeon isn't bad either. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a port of it for apple, since PD is open source, so there's tonnes of versions available for most platforms. Shattered PD is one of the better ones.

I'm pretty sure Solomon's Keep, Heroes of Loot 1, and Dungeon Quest are all on iOS if you want a more action based "Diablo'y" roguelite. HoL is like gauntlet++. It's great. The others are a tiny bit deeper, and I think I did a write-up of them above.

Gumballs and Dungeons is a nice little puzzle-roguelite-thing. A weird progression system, very "mobile'ish", but good for something different.

Space Grunts might scratch your itch if you want a more sci-fi turn-based roguelite as well.

Battlevoid Harbinger is a real time spacey roguelite, if you don't mind stretching the definition a bit. Levels and loot are randomized at least, though the "winning" path is pretty simplistic.

If you're going to stretch the definition of roguelite that far, stretch it to Event Horizon as well. Random star systems, random loot, and tonnes of customization. Sort of like Star Control 2 combat and Stardrive 1 ship building, with LOTS of bits, loot and ships. Really not a roguelike at all, but roguelite can mean damn near anything these days, so this is one of them too. Although there's absolutely no permadeath (quite the opposite).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:13:08 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2017, 07:06:50 am »

Is Pathos: the Nethack Codex on iOS? If it is, I will happily recommend it.
(It is. Sure it's a port, but it's made as a mobile game, so the PC version is more like the dev version, Android and iOS is the "normal" version).

Shattered Pixel Dungeon isn't bad either. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a port of it for apple, since PD is open source, so there's tonnes of versions available for most platforms. Shattered PD is one of the better ones.

I'm pretty sure Solomon's Keep, Heroes of Loot 1, and Dungeon Quest are all on iOS if you want a more action based "Diablo'y" roguelite. HoL is like gauntlet++. It's great. The others are a tiny bit deeper, and I think I did a write-up of them above.

Gumballs and Dungeons is a nice little puzzle-roguelite-thing. A weird progression system, very "mobile'ish", but good for something different.

Space Grunts might scratch your itch if you want a more sci-fi turn-based roguelite as well.

Battlevoid Harbinger is a real time spacey roguelite, if you don't mind stretching the definition a bit. Levels and loot are randomized at least, though the "winning" path is pretty simplistic.

If you're going to stretch the definition of roguelite that far, stretch it to Event Horizon as well. Random star systems, random loot, and tonnes of customization. Sort of like Star Control 2 combat and Stardrive 1 ship building, with LOTS of bits, loot and ships. Really not a roguelike at all, but roguelite can mean damn near anything these days, so this is one of them too. Although there's absolutely no permadeath (quite the opposite).

Thanks sambojin. Great list I'll check them out. Which one is the one that you've been playing for some time and still keep enjoying it? I have to try Nethack.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2017, 11:21:57 am »

Lineage 2 Revolution

This was released about a week ago in English, Android and IOS and I've been playing it since then. It's a fairly by-the-numbers eastern style MMO, which is to say slutty anime-style characters, linear maps, and a very basic active-combat system. And of course a lengthy main quest line that involves alternating 'kill 10 wolves' and 'go talk to the next person'.

With those criticisms having been said, here's what the game does right. Robust auto-play system, that lets you move to quest targets and fight with a simple tap, so you only have to worry about inventory management and ticking off those dailies. And there are a lot of dailies to do, including multiple types of dungeons focusing on different enemy types and rewards, clan quests, and free loot from the shop. Also the graphics are quite respectable for a mobile game, though you may need a decent device to handle it. All in all, it's been a decent time-killer so far.
Back in my day, Lineage 2 was just on the PC.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2017, 04:44:04 pm »

Pathos is a keeper. Pretty much nethack, without all the complexity, but with a nice interface. A fair bit easier, but with enough quirks to keep it interesting.

Event Horizon is good as a loot grinder too.  If you like real time, top down, space combat that is (I do). It's not really rogue'ish, other than the randomized galaxy and loot. It also has a fairly slow start. Then as soon as you get over a little hump, you start getting all the cool stuff. There's no actual point to the game other then getting better ships and parts and fighting stuff, but it's still good for all that. You can get some quite varied ships and playstyles going, all in one fleet, so you can pretty much play it how you want. Fighter carriers, long range heavy missile ships, fast missile skirmishers,  torpedo strafers, gunships, close range brawlers, snipers, or just some weird whacky stuff (black hole generator bombers that also lay plasma minefields around the black hole, etc) are all possible, or any combo of them in one ship in many cases too. The "perfecting" of ship designs and general hording of loot are pretty much the fun. I like that stuff, so if you do, you'll love it. There's also an ever increasing, but player chosen, level of challenge available, with a large variety of enemies, so it doesn't get old too quickly. Once you know about the interface and what some stuff does, it's easy. There's a big wiki and a helpful forum if you're unsure of what things do.

The others can just sort of sit there on your phone until you want to bust out a few levels. They're not that big, and I think only G&D requires an internet connection.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:54:49 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2017, 05:31:28 am »

Does anyone enjoy Siralim 1/2? It looks like the Shin Megami series.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:47 am »

Not really much like shin megami... more like dragon quest monsters. Very much like DQM, since siralim's basically its random dungeons taken to another level, as a game. It* has its limitations, but overall they're pretty ruddy good at what they set out to do. Good stuff, particularly so long as you're not expecting more than what the game sets out to do. Pretty sure there's dedicated threads for both of them sleeping somewhere a ways back in Other Games (and by pretty sure I mean I started one of them :P).

There's demo/free versions both on mobile and PC, iirc... might not be for 2, but definitely is for 1. If you're interested but hesitant, check that out first. While the full versions (and particularly 2) are more and better than the free stuff, the free stuff gives you a very solid idea of how the general game plays out.

Though just to reiterate, if you're going to put money in it, get the sequel. Siralim 2 improves on pretty literally every feature of siralim 1, and adds more besides.

* I use singular because the sequel is better in literally every way; siralim 1 might as well not exist at this point, heh. There's zero reason to get 1 besides not being able to afford 2.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:47 am »

Lineage II Revolution seems like a good mobile/tablet title to pass the time. a bit limited right now (missing the voluptuous dark elf ladies or the whole orc and kamael roster but oh well).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2017, 01:12:51 pm »

The Guides Axiom is an interesting free meta-puzzler. It plays somewhat conceptually similar to a room escape, except done with more style and lore.

You're basically looking a static set of images and inputting the correct answer on each one opens up more pages to give yourself headaches. The puzzles vary in style; one early one has an array of dots... if you punch in the sequence into a binary converter you have, you end up with the text INVERT (or something like that)... enter INVERT, and it opens the next puzzle. However, if you invert the binary code and follow that to the end, you end up opening a different path. In another case, you have to refer to a lab document that's indirectly reference, opened a few pages back, that has a few keywords that you can input to advance.

In other news, Look, Your Loot! has sat on my phone for over a month, is under fantastic active development, has seen the most playtime of anything over that duration, is free/ad-supported, and just promoted to my phone's front page. Fire mage is even more OP now.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »

Lineage II Revolution seems like a good mobile/tablet title to pass the time. a bit limited right now (missing the voluptuous dark elf ladies or the whole orc and kamael roster but oh well).

Many of the NPC's are voluptuous dark elf ladies.

It's worth noting I feel that we have a Siralim and Siralim 2 thread here in Other Games, and got some dev feedback in the first one. Also yes, there was a fair amount of positive response in both.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:54:17 pm by Folly »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 22, 2017, 02:05:02 pm »

Its the same game that is on steam, its fairly good, although quite a few broken creature combos, which I guess is most of the fun of the game to me. Steam says I put 142 hours into Siralim 2. In my opinion, has fewer hard counters, which means less of a chance of running into an enemy that is simply you lose, unless your way out of depth. Siralim 3 is currently in development, which I'm looking forward to.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2017, 03:12:02 pm »

I just bought Siralim 2 and it's well worth it in my opinion. I'm not as much of a monster collection/party JRPG style game fan compared to many, but I think it's great fun. You can make some really fun combos with monster abilities, and there's enough stuff to do that you never feel like you're just trudging away through dungeons.

It's also not too grindy as you can use turbo/mega-turbo mode (press a to basically do default actions). When I needed to get up a few levels to beat whatever boss I could just go through to a lower level and stomp some creatures with auto for a bit till I was a higher level.

My only criticisms is that knowing what some stuff is that there's a lot of spells/statuses that are pretty much identical (hurt random creature for low damage each turn) - whilst this isn't really a problem, I wish the devs had just called them the same thing so you could identify easily what's going on in combat. 

I'd definitely recommend if monster collection/party RPGs are your thing - just don't be expecting a proper story or anything resembling a plot.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2017, 11:47:29 am »

Has anyone mentioned Black Survival yet?

Well, basically, it's a sort of battle-royale type game where players are on an island. Up to ten players must fight each other to the death, with the last player being considered the winner.

Each character has their own strengths, weaknesses, preferred weapon, and other traits.

All throughout the island are items that players can use, including weapons, food, healing items, and armor. Every few minutes, certain zones will be "Restricted" - players can no longer enter them, and any player in the zone when it gets restricted will immediately die. Games are generally a bit short - maybe twenty minutes at the very longest?

It's... a bit difficult to explain, really.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2017, 03:14:56 pm »

Has anyone mentioned Black Survival yet?

Oooo, me, a year and a half ago! It's fun. I got to the upper carnivore tiers before I stopped because the competition got brutal, and everybody knew the optimized routes by then, so it mostly came down to RNG and hoping whoever you actually have to duel with at the end isn't somebody that's a hard counter to you. Conceptually, it's part of a long list of 'PvP survival game' stuff; anybody familiar with Battle Royale, Btooom!, Hunger Games, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, etc. will 'get' it immediately.

I'd also add: It's realtime. You spend a few seconds searching for items, fighting, crafting or (hopefully not) looking at built-in resource information like where stuff can spawn. That makes things a rather frantic dash, since only one person can really be harvesting in a single area-- when two people meet, they start fighting (or, more likely, one is desperately trying to run, the other isn't).
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58