Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Fall of the Magic Girls (RotMG 4) [OOC] [6/6]  (Read 22477 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of the Magic Girls (RotMG 4) [OOC] [0/6]
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »

WIP
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:33:46 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »

Just, draining magic.  That's the entire point, it uses up all the magic.

Also, please review the stuff I just edited in for balance, please.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:18:17 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 02:08:51 pm »

Just, draining magic.  That's the entire point, it uses up all the magic.

Also, please review the stuff I just edited in for balance, please.
I'm going to have to say no to the suit for many different reasons:
- I am heavily reluctant on allowing a level 20 ability, as this seems to be the epitome of minmaxing.
- It seems make him a munchkin, as it seems capable of pretty much negating his weaknsesses by allowing him other magics and equipments.
- The numbers are extremely complicated and unnecessary in a system that is meant to be simply and easy to grasp.
- Is not really explained that well, saying it can copy spells and have free telepathy despite not really explaining how it does it; Anders could not have enchanted it since he does not use that type of magic.
- It is a jack of all trades; telepathy, spell-stealing, stat raising, shields, healing, flight, etc.
I do not want to have to deal with all these numbers and functions in a god-like suit that is minmaxed in by abusing the system for a level 20 ability.

In addition, your backstory is a lot lacking and is not even a few sentences, same with your description. Your sheet is also, compared with the text wall that is your denied power suit, an extreme eyesore.
It is really hard for me to even consider this character at its current state.

WIP
Excellent backstory and description; this is the standard I want everyone to achieve with their character. Now to take it apart:
Void Hater - A straight half damage is too powerful; I recommend making it just a flat damage resistance to make it less complicated, such as say 5 damage negated from void attacks.
Protected Bulwark - Too much shield and too complicated math; change it to perhaps a straight [Level*2+WILL] shield.
Power Bond - Too powerful for a level 1 active; change it to say, WILL/2 boost.

Anima's staff may deal 1d4 melee damage and give +1 to spell effect.
Also, if you have all this complex shit like 1d6+ability score*1.5+will please put the straight number you currently have on your sheet to save me the time. I'll eventually have a cheatsheet made with everyone's stats and shit to make it easier on GMs.
Also, calculate your health and put it below the stats header, above your actual stats. Mana is to be calculated with INT*2, so put that below your HP as well.
Keep in mind people, level 1 abilities are supposed to suck.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 02:10:26 pm »

*shrug*

A'ight, I'll kill it.

Why couldn't he have enchanted it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:12:08 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 02:11:12 pm »

I was busy revising Alistair's skills anyway, so you may want to wait for me to fix it as I realised it made Alistair's skill set too generalised. I also wanted to employ something interesting.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:09 pm »

*shrug*

A'ight, I'll kill it.

Why couldn't he have enchanted it?
Why would a guy who's ability is supernatural intelligence have the ability to enchant things with stuff that does not involve his magic?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »

No, no, he's just naturally a genius who turned his skillset to studying magic.  Like, how it works.  He might have a glimmer of talent on his own, but basically, he's using knowledge as a force-multiplier.

Have you read the Dresden Files?  There's an example of what I'm thinking about after {Book...Um, 7 or 8?  I think spoilers:Harry comes back from the dead, where Butters is using Bob's knowledge and a bit of power to make lots of magical gear.}
Sigtext

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:57 pm »

No, no, he's just naturally a genius who turned his skillset to studying magic.  Like, how it works.  He might have a glimmer of talent on his own, but basically, he's using knowledge as a force-multiplier.

Have you read the Dresden Files?  There's an example of what I'm thinking about after {Book...Um, 7 or 8?  I think spoilers:Harry comes back from the dead, where Butters is using Bob's knowledge and a bit of power to make lots of magical gear.}
Which is pretty much using other magic. Even then, my other points remain.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:41 pm »

I don't really get what you mean by 'other magic'.  Like, what magic would Anders be using to begin with?  Because he's using SOME magic apparently.
Sigtext

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:51 pm »

Excellent backstory and description; this is the standard I want everyone to achieve with their character.
Well, guess who's not getting into the game

Me, the answer is me
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 02:35:49 pm »

Excellent backstory and description; this is the standard I want everyone to achieve with their character.
Well, guess who's not getting into the game

Me, the answer is me
And, apparently, me.
Sigtext

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:23 pm »

I don't really get what you mean by 'other magic'.  Like, what magic would Anders be using to begin with?  Because he's using SOME magic apparently.
Whatever the outcome, my other points still remain. If he's supernaturally smart, he can't really just magically infuse something with fire or something.

And yeah, I want people to have in-depth, well-written characters instead of half-assed sheets. Shows people's interest and it really helps to bring out the best ones to my attention. If you just write a few sentences, I am probably not going to be accepting you.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:23 pm »

I rejigged Alistair's skills quite a bit, to make him closer to what I'd intended. I also altered Alistair's backstory a little because apparently the Northsdale Five (Kyle excepted and Alucard) are only presumed, not confirmed dead.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:51:08 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 02:56:00 pm »

I rejigged Alistair's skills quite a bit, to make him closer to what I'd intended. I also altered Alistair's backstory a little because apparently the Northsdale Five (Kyle excepted and Alucard) are only presumed, not confirmed dead.
Sorry but I'm saying no to literally all those abilities, unless you find a way to make them a LOT more simple. You can still use the 'hope stacks' thing, but not all this 12.5% shit. It's supposed to be a simple system.
As a general rule of thumb, I hate percentages and multipliers. Flat numbers are life.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »

fok
kden

Also, what's wrong with Carbuncle Flash and Preservation? You approved them as the exact same moves last time (they were Rouge Flash and Carbuncle's Light).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:58:38 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17