Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Have I offended anybody  (Read 2912 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have I offended anybody
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:41:51 am »

It would be good to know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have I offended anybody
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:54:53 am »

Not offended per se, just made mildly uncomfortable.

Spoiler: Specifically (click to show/hide)
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:04:09 am »

I'm sorry. I use "medical" terms not to dehumanize, but to impartially describe.

[EDIT: a post edit fuckup has occurred, I will attempt to recreate it from memory. O.Wilde is being civil, and in no way unreasonable IMO]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:27:23 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:19:33 am »

Yeah, I understand. I don't see the need to impartially describe gay people, tbh. Like, unless you believe that some of the acronyms in LGBT doesn't exist, what are you being impartial about?

Legit question, not trying to like, argue or anything.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:13:27 am »

I also dont get why its dehumanizing. Its descriptive, not prescriptive.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:43:13 am »

I live at a crossroads of totally incompatible ideologies and mutually hostile people that would attack me using social sanction or violence if I use language associated with their cultural enemies. In order to survive, I have used neutral language to discuss issues that affect me and people I care for. The language of popular science is neutral territory where I am, so I use it to communicate.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 08:57:57 am »

This thread just made me mildly upset because it reminded me of my issues i don't want to derail this thread with... making my post entirely pointless.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 09:17:30 am »

But there's a choice in what characteristics we narrow in on, when describing someone or something. It's not completely objective or value-neutral. saying "homosexual" for gay people puts the focus on their sexual choices as defining who they are. We don't trot out "heterosexual" with equal frequency, except when needed to differentiate people as "not the gays".

A similar thing happens with video games that have characters defined by some single trait. For white male characters, the defining characteristic is their job, but for other characters their defining trait might be "is black" "is asian" or "is a woman", with the barest of stereotypes on top of that. The black guy is Muhammad Ali, the asian guy is Bruce Lee, the woman is acrobatic. It's similar to Original D&D where Humans were defined by the class they picked, but Dwarf, Elf and Halfling were "classes", not races. It's only acceptable because they're pretend races. If they were real races in OD&D it would be remembered as basically the most offensive thing in RPG history.

Straight people are described by what they do for a living, whereas "homosexuals" are described by sexuality. This is how it dehumanizes people. It's similar with crime reports. If a straight white male commits a crime, we'd describe him in some other terms: "an electrician from New Hampshire went on a shooting spree", whereas if a black man commits a crime, then it's reported as a black man did it, and you probably won't be told what his career is at all.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:32:26 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:32:58 am »

...I kinda got the feeling the butcher, the baker and the candlestick-maker were a bunch of homosexuals. :P

On-topic, that crack about low-calorie cereals was a bit harsh I guess?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 10:27:13 am »

But there's a choice in what characteristics we narrow in on, when describing someone or something. It's not completely objective or value-neutral. saying "homosexual" for gay people puts the focus on their sexual choices as defining who they are. We don't trot out "heterosexual" with equal frequency, except when needed to differentiate people as "not the gays".

A similar thing happens with video games that have characters defined by some single trait. For white male characters, the defining characteristic is their job, but for other characters their defining trait might be "is black" "is asian" or "is a woman", with the barest of stereotypes on top of that. The black guy is Muhammad Ali, the asian guy is Bruce Lee, the woman is acrobatic. It's similar to Original D&D where Humans were defined by the class they picked, but Dwarf, Elf and Halfling were "classes", not races. It's only acceptable because they're pretend races. If they were real races in OD&D it would be remembered as basically the most offensive thing in RPG history.

Straight people are described by what they do for a living, whereas "homosexuals" are described by sexuality. This is how it dehumanizes people. It's similar with crime reports. If a straight white male commits a crime, we'd describe him in some other terms: "an electrician from New Hampshire went on a shooting spree", whereas if a black man commits a crime, then it's reported as a black man did it, and you probably won't be told what his career is at all.
Wouldn't any term referring to race and sexual orientation be just as dehumanizing in that context?

In fact, I was about to say that "straight and gay" were not any better than "heterosexual and homosexual", but upon reflection they're actually worse, as the former seem to imply stereotypes about both sexual orientations, whereas the later are much more aseptic.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 01:46:49 pm »

You generally know when you've truly offended someone around here, because they will report you to Toady. If you unintentionally offended someone and that's clear, he may just edit your post and send you a PM asking you to not do it again. If you intentionally offended someone, he will do the same and tell you this is a legit warning and that you'll be banned next time.

If there's at least one thing Bay12 does not shy away from, it's the Report This Post button.

Whether you've annoyed someone is an entirely different story.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »

You generally know when you've truly offended someone around here, because they will report you to Toady. If you unintentionally offended someone and that's clear, he may just edit your post and send you a PM asking you to not do it again. If you intentionally offended someone, he will do the same and tell you this is a legit warning and that you'll be banned next time.

If there's at least one thing Bay12 does not shy away from, it's the Report This Post button.

Whether you've annoyed someone is an entirely different story.

Yet I've never managed to get any action on me. Frequently, if you're not causing offense, you're not doing anything productive. People are prickly creatures.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »

I think it's less an issue of causing offense, and more an issue of whether someone chooses to take offense. For most things. The flagrant examples always get moderated.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 04:35:11 pm »

Snip
For me, it's partially this and partially like, language of the oppressor. In my experience 'homosexual' is not a word that is generally used by lgbt people except when they're either 1: making fun of straight peoples reactions to us or 2: attempting to converse with someone who does not support lgbt rights.

In my life, I've found people who say homosexual rather than gay or lgbt to be, generally, much less accepting, sometimes to the point of outright homophobia. So, therefore it makes me uncomfortable when people use that word, cause I'm automatically preparing to be descriminated against by them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »

To me it's the clinical term for gay and lesbian. They're the common vernacular. But I can see why it might be off.
Pages: [1] 2