Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: High School Fleet [INTEREST CHECK]  (Read 6730 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
High School Fleet [INTEREST CHECK]
« on: June 18, 2016, 12:52:55 am »

Basically, what all of this is about is a bloodsport where opposing teams of warships try to shoot the shit out of each other. The anime 'Haifuri' gave me the initial idea, while Ghazkull's Tankery game, based off the anime Girls und Panzer, furthered that idea.

Each team or school has one capital ship. It is generally recommended to make this your heaviest vessel, but it is permissible to designate a small, fast, hard-to-hit destroyer as your capital ship.

Victorious teams get 10000 points after each match and are then able to move on to the next round. Losing teams get 15000 points and are eliminated from the season. At the end of each season, the winner gets a 50000 Point prize to buy himself stuff. However, in season 2 and onward, there will begin to be limitations, which means that the champion will not have too large of an advantage. The champion gets himself a BYE for the first match of the season.

Each of you starts with 2000 points that you can invest in ships. Later on, you can also invest points into the crew, crew training facilities and upgrades. For now, though, I will generate crews to man the ships.

Available are only ships from prior to and including World War 2. Initially, you will have relatively few options to choose from... That's still around ten or so ships per nation. As the game progresses more and more ships become available for exceedingly prohibitive costs.

Spoiler: crew complements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships and Movement (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shooting Shit Pt 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage and Crits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cozying up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Torpedoes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:29:57 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: High School Fleet [INTEREST CHECK]
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:20 am »

SHIP TYPES:

Dedicated Aircraft Carriers will not be in the game

Japanese Ships
The Japanese were a very destroyer-centric power in the early war, although to the end of the war Japan ended up making the Yamato and Musashi, then the two most powerful battleships in the world. In addition, they were the only country to have thoroughly researched torpedoes through the inter-war period.

Destroyers
Small, fast and light, these are often vessels used for spotting or torpedo warfare. They are good at evading torpedoes due to their maneuverability. They are also good at evading shells at long range due to their small size and high speed. If they do get hit, it sometimes will only take one shot before it becomes stricken.

Spoiler: Umikaze (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kamikaze AKA Harukaze (click to show/hide)

Cruisers

Spoiler: Tenryu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battleships
Thick armor, big guns, slow speed. These are all defining traits of a battleship

Spoiler: Kawachi (click to show/hide)

German Ships

Destroyers

Light Cruisers

Spoiler: Gazelle (click to show/hide)

Heavy cruisers

Battleships

Spoiler: Kaiser Friedrich III (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wittelsbach (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nassau (click to show/hide)

Italian ships

Destroyers

Spoiler: Indomito (click to show/hide)
Cruisers

These two didn't actually have belt armor, but instead used a sloped protective deck, so I'm not really sure how to handle the armor for them.

Spoiler: Quarto (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Libia (click to show/hide)

Battleships

Spoiler: Regina Elena (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:12:25 am by Insanegame27 »
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:43 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

I could use a hand in statting up some ships. Currently looking for:
  Early ~WW1 American
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 German
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 British
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 Japanese
    Destroyers (4 types - 2 done)
    Light cruisers (2 types)
    Heavy cruisers (1 type)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 Italian
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:31:11 am by Insanegame27 »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 01:02:07 am »

Reserved for scoreboards/status updates

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 04:00:28 am »

Interested
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 05:23:14 am »

Question will Submarines be a thing? And how do you plan on integrating them? Also boarding actions: happening with small boarding craft or do you have to bring your ship alongside the target?

How do Torpedos work?
Also why Anti-Air if there is no Aircraft Carriers?
For That matter if planes are in, how are those integrated? Wouldn't that add a whole new level of stuff you have to handle?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 05:34:50 am »

Naval branch of Kyoko's Military Academy for Girls is ready!
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 06:28:40 am »

Question will Submarines be a thing? And how do you plan on integrating them? Also boarding actions: happening with small boarding craft or do you have to bring your ship alongside the target?

How do Torpedos work?
Also why Anti-Air if there is no Aircraft Carriers?
For That matter if planes are in, how are those integrated? Wouldn't that add a whole new level of stuff you have to handle?
Re: Submarines
I will decide that in season two after I have a good grasp of how my combat system works and is refined.

Re: Torpedoes
Torpedoes require 3km of travelling (fired from ship, two hexes space before it can explode. They travel 3 hexes per turn and can be fired in volleys as area denial. Each ship with torpedoes will have a stock of them so it can't just be torpedo spam 24/7

Re: AA w/o aircraft carriers. Most battleships and some cruisers can have a number of scoutplanes which improve accuracy if they're within a certain distance. AA has a low chance of bringing them down. Right now they have a function more akin to 'repel enemy boarders'. There are going to be no dedicated aircraft carriers (Shinano, Enterprise, etc)

I will, again, decide how planes other than scout planes work in season 2. I do plan on having low numbers of catapult launched planes with limits (can only have one plane up at a time)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 08:58:14 am »

I would love to join. And I could help stat out the other ships.

You should also factor in the defending target's angle when calculating damage. I'd say, if they are headed at the top right of the hex and they have broadside, they take full shot damage and effective armor thickness is regular. If they are lined up with you, they should take about a fourth if not half damage, except for Citadel shots or anything landing on the main deck.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:18:33 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:58:43 am »

I think you mean armor thickness / cos(angle)

And yes, that is planned, but not entirely relevant when 410mm guns are shooting at destroyers with 6mm armor - the destroyer's boned if it hits.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:07:34 am »

With ammo and fuel explosions, unless the ship is a small destroyer its not going to kill everyone and the ship has a slight chance of recovery, if its a battleship then expect the damn thing to stay afloat and i doubt it would ever kill all the crew in that case.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:11 am »

Oh, this is nice. I'm interested.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

Interested, will make sheet when I have a chance.

Also, is this going to be similarly high lethality as Ghazkull's game, or more like the show?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 10:16:52 am »

In ghaz's game, the highest losses I can imagine is around 60 dead if everyone in a match is killed, 10v10. In this, you lose more people in a single volley. But I plan to balance it.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:37 am »

I meant more in the sense of percentages and how badly a loss would effect you.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5