Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: High School Fleet [INTEREST CHECK]  (Read 6741 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: High School Fleet [INTEREST CHECK]
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 10:26:37 am »

That's what I'm going to be trying to balance XD. It probably hurts slightly less taking a hit here as the skill is averaged throughout a group rather than a single person. But it's still a net loss.

With ammo and fuel explosions, unless the ship is a small destroyer its not going to kill everyone and the ship has a slight chance of recovery, if its a battleship then expect the damn thing to stay afloat and i doubt it would ever kill all the crew in that case.
I'll try and adjust it then, but taking a hit like that should still hurt.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that torpedoes may be a bit OP with how much damage they do and how plentiful they are on Japanese ships, even if it is historically accurate.

Another thing I'm worried about is that I have nothing to do the game with. I have not got that Panzer thing Ghaz uses and my PC cacked itself a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of having this play-by-post or orders-by-PM, but that takes spectating out of the equation. Using Pixlr I can easily move around ships and the such, but speedwise it won't be anything like Tankery. I'll still do IRC matches, but expect them to be longer and more drawn out. Or slower-paced. Or relaxed.
Come to think of it, it wouldn't be too too slow, using pixlr's layers.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 11:59:43 am »

What is the latest year for the ships that you would accept?
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 07:24:06 pm »

With ammo and fuel explosions, unless the ship is a small destroyer its not going to kill everyone and the ship has a slight chance of recovery, if its a battleship then expect the damn thing to stay afloat and i doubt it would ever kill all the crew in that case.
Piratejoe is actually kind of wrong here--an ammunition explosion, while extremely rare, is pretty much a instant death sentence for most gun-armed ships, and for most of their crew, though some will probably manage to escape. (USS Arizona, HMS Barham, HMS Hood, and, to a lesser extent, the Italian battleship Roma are pretty good examples of this.) I'd recommend leaving the explosion instantly destroying the ship, but making it so that at least some of the crew can escape. Maybe you could also make them a bit more rare, too.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that torpedoes may be a bit OP with how much damage they do and how plentiful they are on Japanese ships, even if it is historically accurate.
Just remember that the Long Lance, due to it's oxygen propulsion, was prone to exploding when hit by gunfire or bombs. The IJN lost at least two heavy cruisers because of this(Chōkai and Suzuya are the two that I know of). You could probably use that to nerf them if they prove to be overpowered.

Another thing I'm worried about is that I have nothing to do the game with. I have not got that Panzer thing Ghaz uses and my PC cacked itself a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of having this play-by-post or orders-by-PM, but that takes spectating out of the equation. Using Pixlr I can easily move around ships and the such, but speedwise it won't be anything like Tankery. I'll still do IRC matches, but expect them to be longer and more drawn out. Or slower-paced. Or relaxed.
Maybe you could ask Ghaz how he got his bot?

Edit: Also, could you change Capital Ship to Flagship? It's currently kind of confusing, because the term Capital Ship is typically used to refer to the most important ships of the fleet (Battleships and aircraft carriers, as of WW2), even if they were not the command ship.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:30:00 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 01:23:48 am »

What is the latest year for the ships that you would accept?
1945, and I'm borderline on accepting paper ships. However, no missiles or dedicated aircraft carriers (Langley, for example). Ships with scoutplanes are OK.

Piratejoe is actually kind of wrong here--an ammunition explosion, while extremely rare, is pretty much a instant death sentence for most gun-armed ships, and for most of their crew, though some will probably manage to escape. (USS Arizona, HMS Barham, HMS Hood, and, to a lesser extent, the Italian battleship Roma are pretty good examples of this.) I'd recommend leaving the explosion instantly destroying the ship, but making it so that at least some of the crew can escape. Maybe you could also make them a bit more rare, too.

Just remember that the Long Lance, due to it's oxygen propulsion, was prone to exploding when hit by gunfire or bombs. The IJN lost at least two heavy cruisers because of this(Chōkai and Suzuya are the two that I know of). You could probably use that to nerf them if they prove to be overpowered.

Maybe you could ask Ghaz how he got his bot?

Edit: Also, could you change Capital Ship to Flagship? It's currently kind of confusing, because the term Capital Ship is typically used to refer to the most important ships of the fleet (Battleships and aircraft carriers, as of WW2), even if they were not the command ship.
Yeah, I agree with you here, Wolfhunter. Ammunition explosion will instantly sink a ship, with a 1/6 chance of 1/6 total crew surviving. As with everything, it will be adjusted with experience in GMing.

I'll have torpedoes shootable, giving secondary and tertiary/AA guns another use. However, nearly all Japanese ships carry multiple torpedo tubes, so I'm worried about 'Japan OP pls nerf'

I have the bot Ghaz uses, the only problem with that is that I need a windows machine to run it, unless someone else could be kind enough to host the bot?

I was debating on the whole flagship/capital ship thing myself. I don't know which I want to do. Flagship sounds a bit... not very special, whereas capital ship, you know losing that is gunna suck. The definition of capital ship I found was a ship that was designed so that it can fight if it loses its fleet, but a fleet cannot fight if it is lost. Flagship was just where the guy who was most in charge ran everything. Given the mechanics I think capital ship works best, even if the capital ship in question is a dainty lil destroyer.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 01:48:23 am »

-snip-
fuel explosions still shouldnet sink ships unless they are something like a destroyer, and for ammo it shouldn't kill everyone if said ship is a battleship, this seems way more bloodbowl esc compared to tankery tbh especially with EEM Actually causing people to die if they get hit and the ship then capsizing, considering most seaworthy vessels sink when capsized.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:44 am »

Added German ships, pricing to come. It's hard to find armor details for German destroyers on Wikipedia. Gunna do the Brits, the Italians, Russians and then finish the Japs. Pricing and armor has been the hardest so fat.
Oh, for armor values labelled 'extremities' these represent thin points in the hull armor. A shell or torpedo has a 1 in 10 chance of hitting an extremity in the hull armor and rolling for that instead of the thicker hull armor.
For armors labelled as x-y mm thick, a random number between and including the two values is chosen per hit. This represents fluctuating thickness such as that of a citadel.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 03:32:39 am »

Added German ships, pricing to come. It's hard to find armor details for German destroyers on Wikipedia. Gunna do the Brits, the Italians, Russians and then finish the Japs. Pricing and armor has been the hardest so fat.
Oh, for armor values labelled 'extremities' these represent thin points in the hull armor. A shell or torpedo has a 1 in 10 chance of hitting an extremity in the hull armor and rolling for that instead of the thicker hull armor.
For armors labelled as x-y mm thick, a random number between and including the two values is chosen per hit. This represents fluctuating thickness such as that of a citadel.
So you're throwing in WWI ships in as well now?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 03:41:18 am »

Regarding torpedos, another defence tactic was to turn either towards or away from them. This way the ship's profile was a lot smaller compared to being broadside to them, thus reducing the chance of a hit.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:08:06 am »

So you're throwing in WWI ships in as well now?
Yep

Regarding torpedos, another defence tactic was to turn either towards or away from them. This way the ship's profile was a lot smaller compared to being broadside to them, thus reducing the chance of a hit.
Already planned.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 05:25:44 am »

So is Radar fire control going to be a thing later on once we get to mid-late WWII? Also, I'm willing to help stat up some ships, if you're still looking for help.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 05:28:52 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

I could use a hand in statting up some ships. Currently looking for:
  Early ~WW1 American
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 German
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 British
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 Japanese
    Destroyers (4 types - 2 done)
    Light cruisers (2 types)
    Heavy cruisers (1 type)
    Battleships (2 types)
  Early ~WW1 Italian
    Destroyers (2-3 types)
    Light cruisers (3 types)
    Heavy cruisers (2 types)
    Battleships (2 types)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:31:36 am by Insanegame27 »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 05:40:42 am »

No French navy? :'(

Definitely interested though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 05:43:47 am »

I know this is random and completely unrelated but insane is your sig text just harmless making fun of the second amendment or is it actually against it.
No French navy? :'(

Definitely interested though
If you are interested in this you might be interested in tankery as well.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:29 am »

Forgot the Frenchies! Although they may need mirrors to see the front, if you get my meaning XD. Bonus points when they enter the battle flying a white flag.

EDIT: Kinda both, really. I find it stupid that it is used by Mericans as a right to own guns when the literal translations differ. But I expand more on that in my gun control thread and in the (now locked) Orlando shooting thread.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:47:00 am by Insanegame27 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:22 am »

A few classes of German ship are empty. Intentional?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5