Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game  (Read 18642 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:25 pm »

So apparently you get a robot arm over your shoulder that's controlled by a baby strapped to your chest and that points towards freaky shit.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:45 pm »

I am cautiously optimistic. Looks hella lit though--so totally Kojima!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 07:01:57 am »

I have some theories on what the fuck is going on but knowing Kojima they're just not out there enough to be valid. So whatever you think is going on, it's gonna be wierder than that and also a complete misrepresentation of a random scientific theory or something, as is par for the course.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 10:14:52 am »

Apparently string theory was referenced on a dog tag somewhere, and I suspect time/dimension/perspective hopping. Also, using the fetus power will drain your health, which you must refill by some horror themed mechanic. Also, multiple protagonists.

That's my best guess.

EDIT: horror, not horrible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:18:40 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:29 am »

The fetuses (fetii?) are your hp bar, calling it now.
AS - IG

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2017, 01:47:58 pm »

That was interesting.  Definitely lovecraftian, eldrich abominations that are beyond understanding and all that jazz.  Most games don't do that well.  Lovecraft himself simply avoided too many descriptions in order to keep the "spell" going.  It doesn't translate to video games and movies that well because those are visual mediums.  Games like Amnesia: The dark descent managed to pull it off in a number of cool ways.  One I remember specifically was the water level, where you could see the splashing of something stepping through the water, but not the thing itself.  That's a similar tactic to the handprints on the ground, with the flower backpack thing pointing at it.  "Unknown horror" indeed.  Additionally, at the end you see some bugs climbing up invisible surfaces, leading me to believe there will be a lot of "Unknowns" in this game that the player cannot see but will simply have to accept. 

Also, if you look at the guy who stabbed himself, his wrist watch changed to a redder color the more damage that he did to himself, which may be something of an HP bar.  Although the Fetus could end up being HP for the main char, or maybe more like a mana bar or something.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2017, 02:09:54 pm »

Guessing the plot is essentially Children of Man with a Lovecraftian Twist. The fetus clearly hid inside Norman Reedus for safety.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:02 pm »

I think this is supposed to be a third-person game, so the baby being a health bar would be weird. Because it's attached to the character's chest, meaning you won't be able to see it most of the time. Dead Space stuck a health bar on the character's back, because that's what you'll be staring at most of the time. The watch would also be hard to see, except of course if the game were first person and you could push a button to look at it. If it were first person you'd also be able to just look down to see the baby...

I didn't see the bugs flying away as them crawling on some invisible surface, but as them swimming away. The bit where Norman (or "Sam", I guess?) is underwater is the same place as where the video starts, but flooded (you can see the jeep), then the baby does something and it's not flooded anymore. But those bugs can still swim away, I guess because they're still underwater. I think the world might be all flooded, and the baby has the power to pretend it's not even though it totally still is. This would also explain the stranded sea creatures.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017, 03:12:57 pm »

obviously we're going to play as the baby piloting norman reedus
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alt4MCkk-F0

I'm more confused than ever before in my entire life. That's usually a sign of a well directed game.

To be honest, if I didn't know who the director was I'd think this was just overly pretentious rubbish. As the top Youtube comment said - this is vague to the point of being uninteresting. I'm sure it'll be great, but the trailer told me absolutely nothing about what sort of game it would be or how it'd play.

On a side note though, I believe this might be the first game ever to be a major 'film star' vehicle - I know famous people have voice acted in games before, but not really such a prominent one playing the main character, in such a graphically accurate game. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the start of the age of proper movie star games (for better or worse).
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:19 pm »

Imagine how many memelords you could get to play your game if they could literally play as chuck norris.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 04:19:13 pm »

obviously we're going to play as the baby piloting norman reedus

In which case the degree to which Norman Reedus' ass is bare is our hp gauge. More skin means closer to death, so there's a risk/reward type of deal going on, where you wanna see more of his ass but you're that much closer to death because of it.

Also I wouldn't say this is a star vehicle in the traditional sense but rather Kojima being given free reign and going "I WANT ALL MY BUDDIES AND COOL PEEPS TO BE IN THIS!!"

Hence Del Toro making an appearance in one of the earlier trailers.
AS - IG

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »

thinking about it

Imagine how many memelords you could get to play your game if they could literally play as chuck norris.

you could make god hand but reskin gene to be chuck norris and you'd make so much money you could buy the whole earth 3 times over

also

i hope norman reedus uses his natural higher pitched southern boy voice instead of deryl dixon growly voice.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »

I figure Kojima likes the look of Norman Reedus. Think about it. He's that got staw-like hair the japanese love, the five oclock beard starter, and he's smaller and lithe compared to, ya know, big hulking American action stars. If you colored Reedus' hair black and tweaked a couple facial features to be more asian, he'd be your prototypical Japanese edgelord protag.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »

If it were first person you'd also be able to just look down to see the baby...
Reminds me of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9