Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Second Son (IC thread) (Issue #1: Farfield, Page 2: Kleptomania )  (Read 9326 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Wymond looks up at the sound of his bells once again chiming at the front of his store, and smiled widely upon seeing who the entrant of his store was in particular, one of the closer friends he had in his town, a blonde and rather fancy woman who frequently visited his little shop and had tea with him, always a pleasant affair. Of course, she was also a part of the little faction he was in, that dealt with the matters of being Awakened, and... blast, the details were slipping his mind at the moment. Oh well, it couldn't be as important as it felt.

"Oh, hello Lady Oakley, it is good to see you. I'll help Miss Fleich with her request, and then I will be right over." If Lillian looked at his eyes, she would be able to pretty easily see that they were oh so slightly glazed, though nowhere near the level of those not Awakened, in Wymond's terminology. He isn't entirely there today, it seems, though the occasional frown, as if he is trying to remember something, suggests that he isn't one hundred percent out of it either.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:08:15 pm by Powder Miner »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Lillian has the smallest of frowns for the briefest of moments as she notes his glazed-over eyes. The frown goes away, as she puts on a small smile, happy to see her friend anyway.

"It's quite alright, Mr. Ledford. I can wait. I was just looking at a rather interesting piece anyway."  She picks up a porcelain doll dressed in a elegant, yet simple black dress, looking at it appreciatively.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Focus Aurora, no getting confused with that book. Seriously, that science fiction novel is so well written it's occasionally hard to remember it's fiction!

Alright. Vehicle. The fact that it hasn't left yet means that either they're all out or they're waiting for these guys to get Aurora. Assume the latter so as to be prepared.

What door are they coming through, or are they going through all of them at once?

They seem to have split into two groups, one currently applying brute physical force to the front entrance of the house, and other circling and looking for an alternate entrance.

Still sitting in the tree, Eins watched the house for whatever would happen next.

Eins/Zwei watched intently as the house rose into the air almost out of sight-at the apex, it begin to spin faster and faster until it sort of...blinked out of existence in a puff of time-stuff, in a flash of light so bright she/they had to close their eyes.

Only upon opening them, did the pair realize the tree they were sitting in was no longer in Farfield. In fact, neither were they there, or alone any longer. It seems jumping out of an active time-travel field has some strange consequences...Eins finds herself staring out at an untouched, empty wilderness-pristine, with the cleanest, coldest air she's even tasted-a land stretching as far as her eyes can see...Well, it's almost empty. The tree they are in seems a lot more crowded, as well.

There are about two dozen figures, looking wildly around at one another with various degrees of umbrage. About half look exactly like Eins-young girls with ratty blonde hair, dark blue eyes and an impetuous look about them. Some seem slightly younger, or a good deal older-the eldest looking about twenty five, at most. The rest are much odder, though all with some human traits-a being that resembles an ambulatory flower flaps her petals nervously, and a spider-Eins tries to climb higher into the tree on eight spindly legs and a rope of webbing-a distinctly feline-Eins is spotted with furry ears. and possibly a tail-there's another Eins made of a watery liquid, facing off with one that seems to be made of fire (the fire-eins is currently burning the tree down, while the water-eins is trying to extinguish the flames). One of them distinctly resembles a humanoid sort of dinosaur, bearing sharp claws, slit eyes, and pebbled, scaly skin. Another wears a ratty cloak, has pale skin, and long vampire-fangs-she seems to be sparkling in the sunlight, trying to hide her face with her cape in a panic. Yet another seems to be entirely carved of stone, arms crossed, her face engraved in a frown.

And, each of them have a horn, or horns-some on the left, some on the right, some in the center. A few of them even have three or four horns. None of them feel like being the first one to speak, apparently.

Hmm.

"Crystal? I believe I've got just the thing for you. I have a large crystal chandelier hanging in the back of the store; I could retrieve it for you. I shan't be but quick. And I know you said money was no object, but it wouldn't feel right charging so much as my listed price for such a large thing, and I was looking to get it bought anyway, so I'll give you a discount."

"Uh...I could use something smaller. Unless you're also selling sledgehammers! I could use one of those as well..." She says, oddly.

Wymond can only detect some sort of quiet panic in her. She's surely experiencing something off...but, desperately trying to rationalize everything-unwilling to leave the dream, as it were. He can have some sympathy, since he felt much the same way himself after he first found the inscription on the shield.

Half an hour later, she's pretty certain she's an idiot. This isn't a plan. This isn't even a plan by the local standards.

Half an our later, things happen.

It is quite interesting from a certain point of view-one of the garbage grabbers vans (which have always seemed oddly over-armored to us, as if they transporting valuable metals and currency rather than waste byproducts) careens down the street, really going quite fast. The line of garbage cans doesn't slow them in the slightest-they plow right through them, raining trash all over the street, and veering into a sharp turn, speeding off toward the oceanside.

Which leaves the mayor watching the devastation from a nearby window with inhuman eyes, as one old man (Jeremiah Oglethorpe, the local dentist) picks up a broom and begins tidying up the massive mess, as if nothing at all was amiss. He even waves to us.

It did not help of course but it did give him resolve, he had to go and find her. He couldn't go back to living the life he did before this, he just couldn't. Slowly he walked towards the door and opened it, striding out into the outside world. Underneath the illusion he was nervous but nothing of that inner fear was reflected in the man that the outside world saw, a bright smile on his face as he got a taxi heading towards the docks.

Half an hour later, and he's still confused.

He expected the ship to be gone, like a picture from a dramatic story-an empty quay, a missing piece of the puzzle, a hole in life, metaphorical and literal.

But, the Left Hook is still docked where it's always been. A search of the ship reveals a few unsettling clues-he finds her things-the puce purse she carries (he notes a small loaded pistol inside he never knew she carried, safety still on), a gym-bag stuffed with clothing and essential (with FARFIELD BOXING CLUB stenciled on the side in bright red letters), and a thermos of coffee, still warm-Lilly's addicted to coffee, and has been drinking a lot more of it lately than usual. Her keys are even in the boats ignition, as if she was ready to go. Yet she is no where to be found, and there's no sign of struggle.

It's as if she vanished off the face of Farfield...

Lillian has the smallest of frowns for the briefest of moments as she notes his glazed-over eyes. The frown goes away, as she puts on a small smile, happy to see her friend anyway.

"It's quite alright, Mr. Ledford. I can wait. I was just looking at a rather interesting piece anyway."  She picks up a porcelain doll dressed in a elegant, yet simple black dress, looking at it appreciatively.

The doll twitches in her hand, and rolls it's mechanical eyes in Lillian's direction-it croaks out in a mechanical, and slightly disturbing voice.

'WiLl yoU be my friENd?'

It's one of those toys.

And so Johnathan crept into the quarry.

John runs into someone he knows. Well, the man was works for him-William Pace. A young man, he works hard and speaks little-but, John has always suspected he's more clever than he looks. Sometimes he wonders if the man is awakened...but, hasn't up till now confronted him about it.

William makes no effort to hide himself. He merely paces (pardon the pun) the ground of the quarry relentlessly, as if waiting for someone to show up. He doesn't seem to have noticed John-if anything, he's lost in thought, oblivious to the world at large.

It takes another moment for John to realize the piece of the Stoneheart he was looking for is actually with this man-not bonded to him, whispers a voice in the back of his mind-but, nestled in his left front pocket. The more John concentrates, the more it shines out to him-like a glowing ember, in the dark.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:21:03 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lillian doesn't look too bothered. She puts the doll back after a few more seconds of admiring it, waiting patiently for Wymond to finish.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The doll's eyes still track Lillian from the shelf, almost as if upset they won't be friends after all.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

....perhaps Lillian gets a little bothered.

Almost by instinct, she turns the doll away and inwards towards the shelf.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Wymond looks at Lillian apologetically, then gives the doll a funny look. "Ah, my apologies Lady Oakley, I'm not sure where I got that. ...given, I also can't rightly say I'm surprised that I don't know where it's from, circumstances considered. I don't know where half the things I sell come from." He paused, then looked at Lillian a bit more questioningly. "Was there anything important in the next few days?" He drifts off into his odd half-English language here, though Lillian can probably make out the fact that he's saying something negative about him and "remembren".

He shakes him off. "Ah, but my apologies, Miss Fleich. While I don't sell hammers, I do believe I have just the thing for you. Give me a moment." Wymond moves into the back of his store and comes back out with what appears to be intended as the centerpiece for a table, a crystalline candle holder that reflects the light much like a prism. It's fairly heavy, but definitely carryable without much struggle. "Here. Will this suffice for you? ...and, ah, I don't mean to pry, but is there something that is bothering you, Miss Fleich?"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johnathan was unsure what to do. This man, who he had known for... Some time, was part of the conspiracy? Or at least connected in some way. Distrust crept into his mind, battling against his need for the stone heart. After a moments more hesitation Johnathan comes to his decision. Perhaps William is a good man, that this is a good thing, one could only hope as the alternative was too horrible to contemplate.

Johnathan straightens up and walks forward, trying to look as bold as he doesn't feel. He calls out to William "Ah! William my boy! Fancy meeting you here!" he says, waving a large arm and moving towards him, his eyes trying to look anywhere but his left front pocket. "What are you doing around these parts?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He shakes him off. "Ah, but my apologies, Miss Fleich. While I don't sell hammers, I do believe I have just the thing for you. Give me a moment." Wymond moves into the back of his store and comes back out with what appears to be intended as the centerpiece for a table, a crystalline candle holder that reflects the light much like a prism. It's fairly heavy, but definitely carryable without much struggle. "Here. Will this suffice for you? ...and, ah, I don't mean to pry, but is there something that is bothering you, Miss Fleich?"

She picks up the candle holder fondly, smiling at you, albeit distracted.

"...It's mostly that buzzing noise! It's getting louder all the time, really starting to get on my nerves. You can hear it in the vibrations...that single perfect note, never wavering. Once you hear it, well, you realize it never really goes away...I end up making noise and chaos just so I can't hear it, but that's...not exactly right...you need to make an off-beat tune. Something chaotic, to counter that perfect note,  and then...everything is all right."

With no hesitation, she picks up the candle holder and smashes it to the floor, shattering it into a million glittering pieces. Ms. Fleich closes her eyes, as if savoring the sound of shattering crystal, maybe hearing something deeper and more meaningful...when she opens her eyes, that earlier panic seems to have fled. She is once more content to dream.

"That's so much better! ...Thank you. I'm sorry I'm so clumsy. I'll clean up this mess.

Anyway, how much do I owe you?"
She says with what looks like genuine gratitude, pulling out her checkbook.

Johnathan was unsure what to do. This man, who he had known for... Some time, was part of the conspiracy? Or at least connected in some way. Distrust crept into his mind, battling against his need for the stone heart. After a moments more hesitation Johnathan comes to his decision. Perhaps William is a good man, that this is a good thing, one could only hope as the alternative was too horrible to contemplate.

Johnathan straightens up and walks forward, trying to look as bold as he doesn't feel. He calls out to William "Ah! William my boy! Fancy meeting you here!" he says, waving a large arm and moving towards him, his eyes trying to look anywhere but his left front pocket. "What are you doing around these parts?"

The mans eyes are dark green, and his gaze intent-but his voice is soft.

"...Just waiting. Seeing who shows up.

Mr. Block. I really was hoping it wasn't you..."
He says, young enough still to look abashed. "I think I'll cut to the quick of the matter. My...mother...always said if you had something painful to do, you might as well do it in one clean pull...

...You have the thing, right? Nobody else would know to be here, now. Like me. I felt the thing too, though I was faster than you. Found this little gem, sitting in the mine. Thought of taking it, but...I was interested in holding on to it, seeing who would show up.

...I don't know what's wrong around here, not really, but I know what's right...and, this thing we have, it's the only thing that's right...I didn't think anyone else had it...but, you can't really hide it, if it wants to be found.

It likes to be used. It wants to be whole."

He falls silent and watchful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:13:57 am by Dwarmin »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Quick check on power capability: would light form allow Radia to exit through a window?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick check on power capability: would light form allow Radia to exit through a window?

((OOC: Indeed. You can head through anything a light could shine through-which means, you could in theory 'pass' through any barrier you could glow through. You'd have to be pretty bright for that, though....))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johnathan watched the young man as he talked, slowly nodding as he stood back from the man. When he gets to the end of his spiel he spoke up "Aye son. That it does, that it does." Fighting some darker instincts Johnathan asked William "How long have you known? About this... town." Johnathan gestures vaguely at everything and nothing with a sweep of his arm "and these?" he says, pointing with his right hand towards Williams pocket. "It seems like you and me, we've got a lot in common. If you don't know what's wrong then, well, someone else must. It can't be a coincidence that this shards only called to us now." Johnathan licks his lips nervously "Have you... Seen anyone else around?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Oh, wow, that was weird. Fire Elysia, water Elysia, stone Elysia. She wondered if there was an air Elysia and briefly scanned the sky for horned cloud formations.
She looked at the vampire, at least she wasn't some ugly old ghoul or something. That would have been awful. Furry Elysia was cute, and must be petted in the future. Spider Elysia cute in a creepy way. Probably not petted, though.
Some of them looked older... does that mean she'd grown in the future? She quietly murmured a yes! of elation at the notion.

As the first, and most important, Elysia, Eins decided it was time to take control! Eins' natural arrogance self-confidence lead her to stand up on her tree branch. Zwei subtly grabbed her leg, either to make sure she didn't fall or to ensure she would in a minute.
"Zwei, back me up in this." She told her lesser, and before she could get a reply...

"Friends! Elysias! Duplicates-maybe-not-called-Elysia! Lend me your ears!"Just in case they took things overly literally wherever they came from, Elysia hastened to add: "Not literally! But listen, anyway. And fire me, stop burning down the tree for a minute, would you?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lillian seems confused for a second, before realising what had just happened. She lets out a small sigh, but otherwise betrays no sign of disappointment.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

One last question: when he house was said to be "open", does that mean the first floor is visible from the second floor, or is the house more two rooms stacked on top of each other?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8