Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad room for ranged  (Read 1132 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad room for ranged
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:36:51 pm »

So I've always put armor stands/weapon racks in all barracks including ranged.  And then I assign each individual range as well.  I was reading a post yesterday (it links to a Wiki page on how to properly get marksdwarfs training) and it said do not put stands/racks; just to use the ranges.  I've done that and none of my ranged guys will start training.

Yes...they are set to Active/Training in alerts
Yes...I've adjusted the min/max to "1" for ranged units
Yes...each individual Archery Target is set up; has the correct direction; and assigned to the squad.
Yes...there are quivers, crossbows and bolts.

So is the Wiki wrong?  Do you have to have stands/racks and make a double barracks (like I've always done before)?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad room for ranged
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:54:43 pm »

I don't know if armor stand and weapon racks hurt anything, but they definitely aren't required.

When you you say you set the min/max to 1, do you mean you did the thing where you give them a whole bunch of separate "Train 1" orders? Or is it just 1 total?

Check if your dwarves have bolts in their quivers. That should at least help narrow down the problem.
Akur Akir Akam!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

Set minimum to 1 is a misguided piece of old advice. It may help in certain exceptional circumstances if you know exactly what you're doing. You don't need it to get a marksdwarf squad working.

It's odd, but almost every post in the past year or so which states 'marksdwarves aren't working'  also contains 'wiki told me not to set a barracks'. It may be coincidence, it certainly requires more Science, but there could be a link and there's absolutely no disadvantage to giving marksdwarves a barracks as intended.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:10:37 am »

Did you set the number of bolts for the squad?
At least 25 per dwarf.
There are bolts is kind of vague.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:48 am »

Quick question, I frequently get down to a few (say 10) stacksof bolts left and my marksdwarves won't use them. Its almost as if they are forbidden or already allocated to something else(hinting maybe?)When I start pumping out more bolts my squad rushes over, grabs a stack and starts training immediately. I feel this could be the cause of a lot of peoples problems. Any ideas?

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:27:23 am »

Did you set the number of bolts for the squad?
At least 25 per dwarf.
There are bolts is kind of vague.

Goatmaan
Bolts are at 100
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:27:45 am »

I don't know if armor stand and weapon racks hurt anything, but they definitely aren't required.

When you you say you set the min/max to 1, do you mean you did the thing where you give them a whole bunch of separate "Train 1" orders? Or is it just 1 total?

Check if your dwarves have bolts in their quivers. That should at least help narrow down the problem.
Just 1 total.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:15:12 pm »

Bmxbumpkin,
I "think" the hunters arr set to have 250? bolts by default.
Check hunters bolts in ammunition scteen. Or is it 100? Hmnn.

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:17:20 pm by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »

It's odd, but almost every post in the past year or so which states 'marksdwarves aren't working'  also contains 'wiki told me not to set a barracks'. It may be coincidence, it certainly requires more Science, but there could be a link and there's absolutely no disadvantage to giving marksdwarves a barracks as intended.

After about 6 tries, I think I finally found the page that has this advice on it: Advanced Marksdwarf Training Guide.  (It's pretty hard to find, as it's not directly linked from Training or Marksdwarf or Archery... I finally found it linked from Military.)

Of course we can't be sure which page the OP was reading, since they never bother to say.

I'm going to leave the page as is for now, until I have some more concrete information disproving what it says.  I don't use archery ranges myself, so I don't have much experience trying to get dwarves to train at them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »

After about 6 tries, I think I finally found the page that has this advice on it: Advanced Marksdwarf Training Guide.  (It's pretty hard to find, as it's not directly linked from Training or Marksdwarf or Archery... I finally found it linked from Military.)

Of course we can't be sure which page the OP was reading, since they never bother to say.

I'm going to leave the page as is for now, until I have some more concrete information disproving what it says.  I don't use archery ranges myself, so I don't have much experience trying to get dwarves to train at them.
Greycat, I am pretty sure that is the page I was referencing.  Sorry for not pointing it out in the OP.

In the section under "Setting Barracks" it says do NOT assign a barracks and then goes on how to assign the archery targets.  I followed that but they never did start training.  I made another the "old" way with an armor stand and weapon rack and they would go in and shoot and do Instruction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »

It's highly probable that the wiki page is wrong, or partly wrong.  I just don't know what the right answers are myself, since this is not one of the aspects of the game that I personally pursue.

I made some edits in other sections of that page, though.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 03:14:41 pm »

I'm on .43.02, using archery ranges without barracks and my archers are training okay.  I believe the only reason not to assign a barracks as well as archery range is that archers will split their training between shooting and other training exercises.  I'm not certain that's good advice though, as my archer squads without barracks don't spend near as much time training (not measured, just casual observation) as squads I've assigned to barracks.  So it may actually be counterproductive to have archer squads not assigned to barracks.  As usual, more science is needed.