Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: "Crossbows suck. I only got three."  (Read 8153 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Crossbows suck. I only got three."
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Crossbows suck. I only got three."
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

...I don't really get the point.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>...I don't really get the point.</STRONG>

Sarcasm is the point.

[ September 21, 2007: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

The elephants got the point(s).
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

Not to spoil the funneh, but did you create a new world after changing the raws? I don't think it counts otherwise, could be wrong though.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »

Changing the attributes of most all objects do not need a new world.  Only things made at world creation need a new world (new plants, new animals, new civs, civ changes, etc).

And the way the blood in the screenshot looks the damage could be set to like 10 and the results would have been the same since arrows/bolts are so lethal due to internal damage and what you see there is lots of bleeding.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

If you really want to make ranged weapons not so strong, set them to blunt damage.

No, it does not make sense, but it stops all the insane internal damage that makes them really, really deadly.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

yeah, if armour did more to mitigate missile damage then this wouldnt be a problem.

Setting crits to 0 helps a *bit*. Just reducing the damage wont help much because the crits will booste it to levels that pierce any armour, then once inside the damage goes right to the organs.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

I'll have to mess around with them a bit more but last time I changed around bolts/arrows all I could accomplish was changing them to either sever off body parts, shatter body parts, or barely touch you while destroying all of your internal organs.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

Toady should balance ranged weaponry. It shouldnt take too much time for him.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

Armor should subtract before the critical multiplier is applied to damage, but after any piercing reduction(however that's done) is applied to armor effectiveness.

-Albert

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

the problem with the armour is that its a straight reduction. If it was a % modifyer it would be less of a problem but still not quite good enough. Dflection mechanics would make it perfect, but such things are hard to randomize.

In essense, the strength, material and angle of the hit would control how much damage makes it through your armour. Plate armour in general is nearly immune to most arrows without direct penetrating hits. And yet in the game, the defence granted by even adamantine plate is not enough to keep arrows out of your spleen  :(

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 05:18:00 am »

Anyways what is the chance for a critical with a ranged weapon? Imho even the most skilled ranged units should have max 10% crit chance...and the rate of fire must be much much slower also! I dont think that its good to have machinegunner ranged units in DF.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

There's a rather simple solution to all theese problems. Make the ranged weapons have to be reloaded rather than just present to shoot bolts/arrows. The reload action could have it's own speedrating depending on the ranged weapon.

This way the ranged weapons would have different strenghts and weaknesses and be much more unique. Ie:

The bow would not be able to stay loaded for long (depending on strenght?), but be fairly rapid firing once it gets going. Useful for lots of lightly armoured opponents, but would struggle against well crafted plate armour.

The crossbow would be able to stay loaded ready to fire, but take ages to reload. Its bolts should be able to pierce plate easier than the bow however.

Combine this with a slight revisit of the woundsystem so that a single bolt fired at the torso of a person doesn't always take out both lungs, the spine, the heart and even an eye on the same shot, and there wouldn't be as many complaints on the issue.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

Honestly, though, the damage for ranged weapons is pretty realistic (although, as noted above, reloading might not be).  Crossbows and longbows do really, really nasty things to people (and elephants).
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5