Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes not taking effect at all  (Read 612 times)

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Changes not taking effect at all
« on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:08 am »

I've been trying to test an interaction (similar to being a necromancer) in the arena, but it seems no changes I make to the raws affect it at all, even when I close dwarf fortress entirely then relaunch it.

I even completely removed the file containing the interactions for necromancers, and yet I can make them in the arena no problem.

What's going on?
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes not taking effect at all
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:24 am »

Are you screwing with the things in the "interaction_examples" folder? The examples that don't actually affect anything, serving just as a syntax tutorial?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:51 am »

Are you sure you're changing the right raws?

DF now copies raws for every save, so there are a lot of raws floating around that are indistinguishable but for the file directory that leads to them.  Make sure you aren't changing raws in some save. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:52:20 am »

To elaborate on what people said: interactions need to be in a .txt file called interaction_whatever.txt. the "whatever" can be anything you want, but it must start with interaction_. That file needs to be in raw/objects. The first line of the file must be a copy of its name (so interaction_whatever), then the next line of text (you an put as many blank lines between as you see fit) needs to be [OBJECT:INTERACTION]. Then you place the interaction itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:01 pm »

Huh. I used to be able to make changes to the interaction example folder in previous versions, and I can't even find necromancers in the objects folder.

Oh well, either way it works now, thanks everyone.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:00 pm »

Huh. I used to be able to make changes to the interaction example folder in previous versions, and I can't even find necromancers in the objects folder.

You can do as much changes as you please to the interaction example folder. But that is all it is: an example. Necromancers are generated by the game during worldgen like titants and demons, though there isn't really any variation in them.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 01:16:08 pm »

You can do as much changes as you please to the interaction example folder. But that is all it is: an example. Necromancers are generated by the game during worldgen like titants and demons, though there isn't really any variation in them.

I meant the changes I made there worked. And I'm guessing that means it's impossible to modify the basic necromancer though the raws?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:18:04 pm by Random_Physics_Nerd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 03:37:06 pm »

I meant the changes I made there worked. And I'm guessing that means it's impossible to modify the basic necromancer though the raws?
Yeah. At most you can make your own and disable the worldgen generation of secrets (as I do in the mod in my sig).