Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Era of Fantasy: Magics&Muskets testgame! OOC Thread. Game has begun!  (Read 9803 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Era of Fantasy: Magics&Muskets testgame! OOC Thread. Game has begun!
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »

You know I keep forgetting that my capital is able to be attacked directly for some stupid reason.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »

But yeah, listen to cript here. Take your time. Rushing leads to defeat.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »

Yeah literally I keep passing over that my capital can be attacked because I think that the two provinces in front of it are connected instead of it being a three province split.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2016, 01:32:54 pm »

Also you can build a couple more PIs this turn as well. Don't forget that.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2016, 01:46:50 pm »

Pls? Abbreviation for what?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »

Provincial Improvements, aka fortifications, universities and so on
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2016, 01:49:48 pm »

Oh fuck no, Not right next to my borders D:

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:51 pm »

Plague outbreak happens in The Heavenly Heart of the World!

A sure sign the Gods are on our side :P.

Why are you helping him! He should learn on his failures :P

Beating someone because they made a stupid mistake is no fun  :-\.

Well, I mean, that's true, but it assumes your sending a majority of your troops to deal with one of the 4 other players, 3 of which you have borders with and the last one is allied to someone you attacked. That's not a very sustainable strategy.

If that training ground produced 1 each turn, I could just leave it alone while I fought the other wars. Currently, my soldiers are pound-for-pound stronger than anyone else's by a significant amount. As long as I can hold my boarder fortresses, I have a +2 to defense, giving a 23.44% chance of enemy victory. My attacking troops have a +0 total, thus a 43.75% chance of victory on assaults against anyone but the Soul guys, and that is assuming the enemy has a fortress present. My biggest enemy is the Heart guys, and I have a direct line to their capital. If they do manage to take it over and have a direct line to my capital, I still have an advantage due to the mountain pass protecting it.
I'm not denying that you can very easily defend against her, just pointing out that taking it would be quite hard (unlike as you say, a curb stomp) certainly, if you let your troops build up there she can never take it back. However if you just let her troops build up on the other side it'd take more then 50% of your troop capacity (possibly more then 100%) to actually take it from her. Which comes back to, even if you had the training ground there you would ether need to seriously and immediately overcommit to roosting her out of the islands, or you leave her there. Nether of which is a curbstomp.

Well, I think we know what's gonna get hit with the nerfhammer :P
I think theologies maybe look better then they are, like any rush strat. That said if ATH really just hands over all his empire to Stirk right at the start, gg. I'm not sure if one can draw conclusions from such a lopsided game though about what needs to be nerffed.

It would be a curb stomp, in that I wouldn't lose a single piece of land to them while taking all of theirs. Can there be a more complete victory than that?

Anyway, its possible, but that is what the test is for right :P? The technologies really don't look that impressive stat wise. The +2 attack is basically "Free Gunpowder", and if I ever do get to that level, it basically doubles my already impressive attack stat. If I had allied with a technology based empire, we would be pretty unstoppable together.

I'm right here Haspen. :P

Anyway, don't be too cocky about being able to beat everyone Stirk. You only get that bonus when you're attacking. If someone attacks you that bonus is gone

But I get an equal defense with fortifications, which I was taking into account. Due to the way building works, the only time I will be attacked without them is if I am somehow caught flat-footed. With troops only able to move one square a turn, I can have wherever the fighting is done fortified before they are halfway there. I have a better chance winning in defense then I do in offense :P.

Pls? Abbreviation for what?

You might want to consider asking your allies for tactical advice before moving  :-\.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2016, 02:18:06 pm »

It would be a curb stomp, in that I wouldn't lose a single piece of land to them while taking all of theirs. Can there be a more complete victory than that?

But that's not at all what it would be? That's my whole point, you took one piece of land, but are you going to go further? Not even with a recruiting ground there would you ever eclipse her without outside help, your army cap isn't that much higher then hers. She won't get that land back, but you're not curbstomping her ether.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »

But that's not at all what it would be? That's my whole point, you took one piece of land, but are you going to go further? Not even with a recruiting ground there would you ever eclipse her without outside help, your army cap isn't that much higher then hers. She won't get that land back, but you're not curbstomping her ether.

I will eventually. She won't get the land back, I'll get all her land. So score wise, its 3-0. That is a curb stomp. My cap is 20. Her's is nine. Its over double her cap, WTH you talking about?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2016, 02:29:55 pm »

You need to outnumber her by quite a lot to win because of her effective +2 (+1 from sea +1 from human) bonus. If you had taken the recruiting ground, all you could do is have a slight advantage numbers advantage over her, which means you ether send troops from elsewhere into the fight (IE, remove them from your other important fronts) or you build up troops there... But your cap is 20. So you'd need to spend like 75, maybe 100% of your cap to kill her nine. Ether way taking her islands involves weakening your boarders with everyone else.

You're really counting your chickens before they hatch, and especially without doing the math.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2016, 02:32:09 pm »

It's not just tiruin you have to worry about, and she has the ability to concentrate that force onto one single point, whereas you need to spread yours out.

As for bonuses, I'm pretty sure I'm the best off in fortifications, with a +3 that's gonna be +4 next turn (+4/+5 In the capital) so you can guess I'm not gonna go down easily. And you can bet I'm getting harder beat as things drag on. Hell, my capital at max unit stats will have it's on chimera, if not better and certainly able to be more numerous.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

Dwarfs are tough turtling assholes, news at 11 I guess.

*Shakes fist.

Edit: But somewhat irrelevant.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »

You need to outnumber her by quite a lot to win because of her effective +2 (+1 from sea +1 from human) bonus. If you had taken the recruiting ground, all you could do is have a slight advantage numbers advantage over her, which means you ether send troops from elsewhere into the fight (IE, remove them from your other important fronts) or you build up troops there... But your cap is 20. So you'd need to spend like 75, maybe 100% of your cap to kill her nine. Ether way taking her islands involves weakening your boarders with everyone else.

You're really counting your chickens before they hatch, and especially without doing the math.

But I am doing the math? I get a +2 attack bonus, meaning that they only get an effective +1 bonus for equal numbers. This is less than anyone else attacking a fortified area. For every three extra, I get +1, except for the first. For 1-1, that is 32.8% victory for every round. 1+3-1 is the same (HOC knocks out the first). 1+6 is 43.75 each. And you seem to be forgetting that this is for each army. That is, if I had two armies there and she has one there (as it would be if I had a training grounds there), I would get two 32.8 chances to take her capital. Having three more isn't only a +1 bonus, it means you can lose three more times and still win the fight.

It's not just tiruin you have to worry about, and she has the ability to concentrate that force onto one single point, whereas you need to spread yours out.

As for bonuses, I'm pretty sure I'm the best off in fortifications, with a +3 that's gonna be +4 next turn (+4/+5 In the capital) so you can guess I'm not gonna go down easily. And you can bet I'm getting harder beat as things drag on. Hell, my capital at max unit stats will have it's on chimera, if not better and certainly able to be more numerous.

If I get to you, then either A. I have already conquered Heart, and have pretty much won the game already :P or B. You send your troops to fight overseas, where they will be outnumbered and the bonuses won't mean as much. Against me, that is *only* a +1 bonus, or a +2 with the next turn. That is the exact same bonus I will have against you if you try attacking fortified areas.

**EDIT**

Dwarfs are tough turtling assholes, news at 11 I guess.

*Shakes fist.

Edit: But somewhat irrelevant.

Also, its your turn Cript. Make yer move already.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:03:49 pm by Stirk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2016, 03:12:44 pm »

I think you missed the part where if you outnumber her she gets an extra bonus. Look at it realistically, if you had taken the training ground and not sent reinforcements the first turn you'd have about a 45% chance to take it, not a curb stomp. Every turn after that your chances get worse. until you get 10v9, and which point they slowly start to get better, but then your effectively taking resources from elsewhere to fight on this front.

Sure, you get more guys, so does she. Without pulling people away from your front lines elsewhere you'd never get enough to make up the difference.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13