Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: There should be a Sonic mod!  (Read 2898 times)

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
There should be a Sonic mod!
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:21 pm »

And if there isn't, I'm going to make one myself.
Cancels Get a Life: Interrupted by the Internet

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: There should be a Sonic mod!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:32 pm »

I agree.  There are Mario and MLP mods, Sonic is a logical addition. 

What era of Sonic would you base it on?  There's the old "freedom fighter" TV shows and comic books, Sonic Adventure and its spinoffs, the new Sonic Boom world, various ridiculous premises in the gaps too. 

I always liked the Babylon Rogues, and they could become an interesting thief culture.  The old TV show's Roboticizing thing could be a transformation syndrome.  Maybe there's some mechanic where you can send "dwarves" out to collect rings and use them in the fortress as food or fuel. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:55:49 pm »

I have a creature for you to start with:

Spoiler: Sonic Hedgehog Man (click to show/hide)

It is designed to function and feel like a Sonic character without actually being a total game breaker - average acceleration, extremely high top speed, and its fast crawl is replaced by a spin-dash that leaves you vulnerable for a few moments while 'charging up'.  Also it can't swim.  Try it out and adjust as needed.

Also I think that the echidnas should be the main playable race.  They dig and build things, and like gems.

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:18:44 pm »

I have a creature for you to start with:

Spoiler: Sonic Hedgehog Man (click to show/hide)

It is designed to function and feel like a Sonic character without actually being a total game breaker - average acceleration, extremely high top speed, and its fast crawl is replaced by a spin-dash that leaves you vulnerable for a few moments while 'charging up'.  Also it can't swim.  Try it out and adjust as needed.

Also I think that the echidnas should be the main playable race.  They dig and build things, and like gems.

WOOO! Thanks!

Now to create an entity for Mobians...
Cancels Get a Life: Interrupted by the Internet

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:09 am »

IndigoFenix: Could you add Sonic Hedgehog Man to Mostly mythical monsters or any other of your distributed mods if not already done?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:50:29 am by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:43:12 am »

IndigoFenix: Could you add Sonic Hedgehog Man to Mostly mythical monsters or any other of your distributed mods if not already done?

It doesn't really fit with any of them, though.  (I created it to learn how to use and abuse gaits.)  You can add it easily enough, just copy that whole code section and add it to a text file called creature_sonic; they will be added as playable animal people.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:54:25 pm »

The Mechanic strikes You in the upper body with his *steel drill*, puncturing the skin! The -gold ring- strikes The Mechanic in the head, shattering the skull, pushing the skull through the brain and tearing the brain! Ivo Acöbudos, Mechanic has been struck down.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 06:39:15 am »

I am willing to contribute to a sonic mod. Right now I am working on a mod of my own. Pst pst. Secret no. Shh. So, my friend, what do you suggest is in this sonic mod? ...Wouldn't be hard to make like a... timed super transformation with 7 chaos emeralds and they get 'destroyed' and you have to 'gather' them again right?
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »

Things that can definitely be done:

A Mobian furry race (or several, there were never enough characters to properly establish the nature of animal people in the sonicverse so that's up for interpretation)

Wild robot enemies (maybe the setting is in the future where Eggman's creations have learned to self-replicate and have integrated themselves into/taken over the natural environment)

If you want to take a note out of ROTMK, robots can drop rings when butchered and you can include adventurer and fortress reactions that turn the rings into something... Killing monsters and collecting coins is one of the more fun parts of ROTMK in my opinion

You can do something similar with chaos emeralds.  If you don't want to use Dfhack, you can make them spawn a food item that makes you invincible and super fast for a limited time.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »

A Mobian furry race (or several, there were never enough characters to properly establish the nature of animal people in the sonicverse so that's up for interpretation)

Wild robot enemies (maybe the setting is in the future where Eggman's creations have learned to self-replicate and have integrated themselves into/taken over the natural environment)

If you want to take a note out of ROTMK, robots can drop rings when butchered and you can include adventurer and fortress reactions that turn the rings into something... Killing monsters and collecting coins is one of the more fun parts of ROTMK in my opinion

You can do something similar with chaos emeralds.  If you don't want to use Dfhack, you can make them spawn a food item that makes you invincible and super fast for a limited time.

You could try just giving the monsters ITEM_CORPSE:[insert your ring here] so that they instantly spawn the rings upon death and don't leave inconvenient robot corpses that need to be disposed of.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 11:25:13 pm »

I think in the Sonic TV show, the rings were made out of some kind of special material that could be converted to energy and gave Sonic special powers. 

If the Mobians are a single civilization, would they be different castes for the different animal people?  Like hedgehog, fox, echidna, squirrel, etc. can all intermarry?  With 42 visitor system, there might be a reliable way to make pluralistic societies or have the hedgehogs show up as minorities in human or dwarven civs. 

I'm trying to think of what all there are from the games.  Hedgehog (Sonic, Amy, Shadow, Silver), Fox (Tails), Echidna (Knuckles, Tikal), Cat (Big, Blaze), Bat (Rouge), Babylon Rogues and Team Chaotix.  In the games, the only ones that are depicted as having civilizations are the Echidnas and the Babylon Rogues, but both of these were "in the past". 

Also, sonic is always picking up accessories like the Light Speed Shoes or the Bounce Bracelet.  Maybe that sort of thing could be implemented.  And in the games, eggman's robots are supposedly "powered" by small woodland creatures that you rescue by destroying the robot.  That concept got progressively more abstract as the series continued.  Maybe if you play as the robots, you can capture animals and turn them into machines or turn them into fuel. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 09:25:51 am »

You could try just giving the monsters ITEM_CORPSE:[insert your ring here] so that they instantly spawn the rings upon death and don't leave inconvenient robot corpses that need to be disposed of.

Or you could make them out ofa new inorganic metal with a BUTCHER_SPECIAL tag.  Then you could melt them down for resources.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:58 pm »

With the wild robots, wouldn't it be possible to have the roboticize characters using the code from the Machine Mades in RotMK?  That seems closer to the Sonic canon (at least, what I remember of it) than the robots reproducing.

I'm trying to think of what all there are from the games.  Hedgehog (Sonic, Amy, Shadow, Silver), Fox (Tails), Echidna (Knuckles, Tikal), Cat (Big, Blaze), Bat (Rouge), Babylon Rogues and Team Chaotix. 

From the games: Weasel (Nack), Rabbit (Cream), Bee (Charmy), Crocodile (Vector), Chameleon (Espio), Armadillo (Mighty)

The SatAM cartoon and the Archie comics give the most information on Mobian civilization.  This list of characters (and species) is huge, so I'll just link to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(comics)#Characters

The comics also establish the members of two animal species can have children, so they'd be implemented as separate castes if going with that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:42:42 pm by Rydel »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 11:05:23 am »

megabeasts should have chaos emeralds as item corpses, then you use 7 of them to become invincible. I don't know how, but it shouldn't be permanent but rings should sustain the existing transformation.
tombs are robot factories(sleeping animals to turn into robots and traps also).
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:50 am »

this doesn't seem to be being updated, and I've been trying to think of a mod I can do, so I think I might make a Sonic mod. I don't know much sonic since the 2d games(but then again that was the glory days.) even though I'm not good with dfhack, it'll have dfhack for various important things. no vermin eaters, that would be punishing the animals with animals, and that seems wrong. two civs, the Animals and the Robots.
the robots will definitely capture animals(probably just vermin though, unless I can figure out how to do it otherwise) and make robots out of it. Not actually sure what the animals will do in fort mode.
if the animals have fort mode they're going to get the vermin jars out of robots, and turn them into useful animals(think killing a tough boss to get a nice two-tailed fox).
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: [1] 2