Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65305 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #420 on: May 21, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »

I'd think that if we want to do the bit where we die, we should actually fake it and become a manifestation instead.

That still holds the problem of someone recognizing us. Hmm, maybe we could manifest a shadow demon or something sneaky. We would be able to eat souls, so that's a plus.

Thing is, how do we do it? We go into a ship and have it sink while we are not actually there? Also, how do we prevent the rumors from spreading? Eventually they will get to the Kingdom's lands. The Axebeach goblins have to know that we are the ones ruling them, or at least Haggen has to know that so that he doesn't appoint another overboss.

I don't dislike the idea, but I don't know how to execute it. Any ideas?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2016, 08:49:23 pm »

Faking it with Axebeach goons would be an idea.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »

M idea of how it would go:
#1) We get on a ship with a bunch of folks we don't know nor care about.
#2) Axebeach Pirates "Accidentally" Capture the ship we were on and kill everyone else, Possibly in such a way that it is impossible to say if anyone Survived.
#3) We inform some specific people that we are still alive.
#4) ? ? ? ?
#5) Profit!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2016, 09:14:28 pm »

We still need to prevent Axebeach from leaking the information. Or at least making it really unlikely to happen.

I think that a manifestation offers far better possibilities to us than undeath, but it is more risky too.

EDIT: How about we do it and pick a false name? We can erase the memories of the goons who helped us.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2016, 09:17:28 pm »

We still need to prevent Axebeach from leaking the information. Or at least making it really unlikely to happen.

I think that a manifestation offers far better possibilities to us than undeath, but it is more risky too.

EDIT: How about we do it and pick a false name? We can erase the memories of the goons who helped us.
Or kill them if Erasing memories proves impossible or Ineffective, Killing People tends to keep them from talking about you.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 21, 2016, 10:11:03 pm »

From that I take that:
1) Greent is in love with her. We don't know Chastity. In the dump about the Marlowes it was revealed that we suspect that she is in a relationship with one of them, so I think that Chastity is using Greent.
2) Chastity was already thinking in kicking us out of the Duchy once Sylvester finished modernizing it. This means that we should not trust her, unless we make sure that we are on the same boat, and I'm not sure if even then we will be able to trust her. We were on the same freaking family! How come that she was thinking about deposing us when she was likely to inherit the Duchy anyway?

The goblin option is becoming more and more likely.
We can't trust her in the slightest, obviously. I do think Chasity's feelings with Greent are harder to measure, though; she could be in a relationship with Horace to use him or as a side fling without feeling nothing for Greent.

That said, with terrible people the line between love and abuse can be fuzzy.

In unrelated matters, we should try to build Syzzik a new theater. It can be divided into two parts, so the front/lower section can cater to the common rabble, while the upper/rear section hosts those of fine taste and wealthy orcs hoping to flaunt their wealth some more. With Wikes discredited and a section specifically for mercs to enjoy, it should be much less flammable than Syzzik's first attempt.

I support this, but only once we have lowered the prices.
Maybe they'll be lower by the time it's finished? I guess we don't have a good timetable on when those apprentices will be done.

Yukprong's hex, which the expert goblin hexer gave us by drawing blood with one of her claws. Turns out that it was done out of habit, but still, it creates a foul aura, and we can simply cast a weaker version of it over us, and unweave the stronger one.
Ah. I don't mind a foul aura, since our plan seems to be leaning towards making nice with demons and demon worshipers and maybe even using our exile as a bargaining chip. But we can always make ourselves more dark magicy in other ways, so I don't mind rewriting this one.

Considering what Dean looks like now, a manifestation is less palatable than a vampire. Also, if we live in Axebeach, like we intend to do, we can just drain a slave every a couple months. Changing bodies is far more palatable than growing scythes out of our back.

Also, vampires otherwise behave like normal people. Including in their sex life, where they just have to hex their victims partners to not become vampires themselves.

Besides, it's the only way to give Dean the Bonedust name. We have to die before our uncle. Becoming a manifestation actually makes this more difficult.
Right, but Dean took on several different demons with several different noteworthy features, and still intends to get himself under enough control to feel confident talking to girls. Channeling a simple life-extending demon shouldn't have too much of an impact, especially if we get good at it.

Fair point on vampirism, though I'd still rather keep our original and living body. Especially if we want more children; I know you don't want that, but it's proven a decent bargaining point several times. Plus they're cute!

I acknowledge the difficulty of getting Dean in good with Bonedust with the living plan and the utter convenience of doing so with the other plan, but I still feel like living is the nicer option. In addition to fun and convenience, our fearsome reputation is handy to keep around; dying lets people think we're no longer an issue and that our side has taken a blow. To make matters worse, the people we'd most want to fool with this gambit- the Bonedusts- are the most likely to be utterly unimpressed by the finality of death.

I like these visits, but I might want to swap out the court mage for the pirate/privateer after all. Syzzik said he could make us filthy rich and win us the kingdom, then suggested we buy Lagoona ships and end the copper wars. If the thieves do their job we'll also have Chasity in our grasp shortly (I have no idea what time table they're actually operating on) which should break the main reason the Marlowes have to serve Rubricon anyway. That said, we might not have time to wait for that.

Two things:
1) The Kinkaids want Silver county, and we currently have no means to stop them. Even if they pledge allegiance to us, the Marlowes will end up fighting the Kinkaids. That's why they should claudicate and be done with it.
2) If we buy the boats ourselves, this will happen: We order the boats>We pay something up front>They realize that we work in Axebeach (beacause every fucking body seems to know)>They keep our money and don't sell anything to their enemy.
1) Yeah, but "everyone wants you gone and your boss is with us" is an easier spot to negotiate from than "everyone wants you gone but if you accept your boss might suffer a terrible fate."
2) Son of a bitch. Maybe she won't care that much, being a friend of Syzzik? We should just tell him about this mess and see what he thinks; he'll probably have a clearer read on what to do in this situation. And, for that matter, enjoy the possibilities inherent in dating a Goblin Overboss.

Come to think of it, let's just invite Syzzik through the gate. He wanted to come for a night, and no doubt has ridiculously well-connected, ridiculously ambitious schemes afoot. It'd be good to get the full story from him, and he could handle a lot of the details for us.

As long as we don't reveal him as our lover. Yet.
Eh? Why not?

I mean, it'd still be worth doing, but why?

We need to speak to Tetha to define our overall strategy, and that is more important than the court mage. Having Deznel switch sides basically means that we win the war. But, as I said, I'd rather have Trance get us an audience with her, because I doubt that we are in a position to go meet a deity as we do with other mortals.
Yeah, maybe not. I mean, it seemed to work pretty well at the party, and we do have obvious business, but I could see coming in from a position of strength as opposed to "foolish mortal how dare you."

I'd think that if we want to do the bit where we die, we should actually fake it and become a manifestation instead.

That still holds the problem of someone recognizing us. Hmm, maybe we could manifest a shadow demon or something sneaky. We would be able to eat souls, so that's a plus.

Thing is, how do we do it? We go into a ship and have it sink while we are not actually there? Also, how do we prevent the rumors from spreading? Eventually they will get to the Kingdom's lands. The Axebeach goblins have to know that we are the ones ruling them, or at least Haggen has to know that so that he doesn't appoint another overboss.

I don't dislike the idea, but I don't know how to execute it. Any ideas?
Faking it with Axebeach goons would be an idea.
M idea of how it would go:
#1) We get on a ship with a bunch of folks we don't know nor care about.
#2) Axebeach Pirates "Accidentally" Capture the ship we were on and kill everyone else, Possibly in such a way that it is impossible to say if anyone Survived.
#3) We inform some specific people that we are still alive.
#4) ? ? ? ?
#5) Profit!

Or kill them if Erasing memories proves impossible or Ineffective, Killing People tends to keep them from talking about you.
If we were going to do this it'd be a once in a lifetime opportunity! We'd need to spend it on something special, like letting Rubricon ruin the Crown's attempts at negotiating peace with us in person. It's not like there'd be any rush, after all.

That said, I feel like our reputation and status as Maeris Bonedust Riverland is more valuable than Dean's status as Dean Bonedust, so I'm not terribly fond of faking our death. We can find other ways to cement our kinship with Clan Ivy, gain influence over House Bonedust, and arrange political connections with the other Kingdom Houses.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 22, 2016, 02:55:21 am »

What if, as part of our exile, we rescind whatever rights and responsibilities is requiring us to die before uncle?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:10 am »

Maybe they'll be lower by the time it's finished? I guess we don't have a good timetable on when those apprentices will be done.

It should take a month in total, more or less. But we still need another 16 apprentices to fully lower those prices to the amount that we intend.

Right, but Dean took on several different demons with several different noteworthy features, and still intends to get himself under enough control to feel confident talking to girls. Channeling a simple life-extending demon shouldn't have too much of an impact, especially if we get good at it.

It takes meditation, but yes, one can control the demonic aspects. Now, if we do this, which demon should be absorb? A devil, perhaps? Those are good negotiators.

Fair point on vampirism, though I'd still rather keep our original and living body. Especially if we want more children; I know you don't want that, but it's proven a decent bargaining point several times. Plus they're cute!

I'm going to tell you the truth of my secret plan: I wanted to use the undeath excuse of no children to adopt Lilly once we move to Axebeach.
Also, I would dislike having to do anything while pregnant. But I'm male, so I don't know much about that.

Still I'm against this, but, seeing as how I'm being irrational, you can ignore my opinion on this particular argument.

I acknowledge the difficulty of getting Dean in good with Bonedust with the living plan and the utter convenience of doing so with the other plan, but I still feel like living is the nicer option. In addition to fun and convenience, our fearsome reputation is handy to keep around; dying lets people think we're no longer an issue and that our side has taken a blow. To make matters worse, the people we'd most want to fool with this gambit- the Bonedusts- are the most likely to be utterly unimpressed by the finality of death.

I personally would like a fresh start. Also, being able to contact people we previously knew as a new person is always nice. Also, I wanted to take measures that would severely piss-off many of our enemies or allies and then die, so that they wouldn't be able to take revenge. Like, for example, planting a knife on the Kinkaids' back.

And, as another point, giving Dean the Bonedust name is going to be integral to him eventually leading the house. Otherwise, I doubt that a Riverland would be able to lead the Bonedust family. Also, we don't want to fool our family, just give our uncle an excuse to adopt Dean. He wouldn't object if we say: "Hey, we are going to die and be resurrected so that you can adopt Dean as you wanted. Also, there is a free spot on Tiv's business for when you want to retire".

1) Yeah, but "everyone wants you gone and your boss is with us" is an easier spot to negotiate from than "everyone wants you gone but if you accept your boss might suffer a terrible fate."

The point was something more like this: "Everybody wants you gone, but your current boss is going to execute you. With us, you will keep your life."

2) Son of a bitch. Maybe she won't care that much, being a friend of Syzzik? We should just tell him about this mess and see what he thinks; he'll probably have a clearer read on what to do in this situation. And, for that matter, enjoy the possibilities inherent in dating a Goblin Overboss.

We definitely should have told Syzzik about this. I agree that, if we do this, it should be Syzzik the one to negotiate in our behalf. Preferably without mentioning our name. Kray-Kray is the grandaughter of the leader of the pirate guild in Lagoona. It is going to be tough to get her to accept our negotiation on our own.

Come to think of it, let's just invite Syzzik through the gate. He wanted to come for a night, and no doubt has ridiculously well-connected, ridiculously ambitious schemes afoot. It'd be good to get the full story from him, and he could handle a lot of the details for us.

As long as we don't reveal him as our lover. Yet.
Eh? Why not?

I mean, it'd still be worth doing, but why?

There are too many things happening at once to our family to show them our lover right now. You know, the whole alliance with Clan Ivy, Lanette being born, and possibly our conversation with Tetha. It is not the opportune moment.

Yeah, maybe not. I mean, it seemed to work pretty well at the party, and we do have obvious business, but I could see coming in from a position of strength as opposed to "foolish mortal how dare you."

Trance can kick her ass twenty times to the Abyss. I don't think that she would come with the "I am mighty, scum" response of a god. In fact, no gods seem to be like that. They were mortals at some point, which makes it easier to negotiate with them. At most, she would be pissed at Fortune gaining sight. But we can excuse ourselves by saying the she ad said that she would rather die and be resurrected as an undead with sight, and that we wanted to prevent that.

If we were going to do this it'd be a once in a lifetime opportunity! We'd need to spend it on something special, like letting Rubricon ruin the Crown's attempts at negotiating peace with us in person. It's not like there'd be any rush, after all.

That said, I feel like our reputation and status as Maeris Bonedust Riverland is more valuable than Dean's status as Dean Bonedust, so I'm not terribly fond of faking our death. We can find other ways to cement our kinship with Clan Ivy, gain influence over House Bonedust, and arrange political connections with the other Kingdom Houses.

Besides fear, what does our reputation do? Like, really, we can intimidate people and feed them to demons. The same could be said for any Bonedust.

And, as I said, without Dean Riverland becoming Dean Bonedust, I don't know if he will be able to lead the house.

What if, as part of our exile, we rescind whatever rights and responsibilities is requiring us to die before uncle?

Now, this is something totally different, and I may support this if we can just say that we renounce to our family name and everything.

Anyway, to be clear, this was my long-term plan:
-We negotiate with Tetha for Denzel to end with the succession war, and we regaing the Duchy peacefully.
-Redding and Joy are in charge, everything returns to peace and they get to continue Sylvester's project.
-We do the public death and begin to amass our demonic forces. Dean gets to rule House Bonedust.
-We use the peace to plan how to take the Kingdom. Without anyone even suspecting about our plan. Subterfuge!

Optional points:
-We get Denzel to help us to take out the Marlowes. We install whoever we want there. Maybe Farquad. With Denzel's support, we will be able to recognize his family as legitimate.
-We get further help from Denzel and betray the Kinkaids and exile both Charlie and Phineas. We then help to select someone under our control to rule Roe River County from all those millions of descendants they have. Dublin comes to mind.

This gives us a better position to start plotting than the "We are evil and wicked and we get exiled to plot from goblin lands"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:28 am »

Alright. Explanation time. So it would appear that I have not been active lately, but that is not 100% correct. I was writing slow for two reasons; One was that I was sick and sleep deprived last week, so I could only write in short bursts as opposed to my usual marathon sessions. Secondly, the turn was a long one; I was getting through most of the meetings you suggested, and then two plot twists occurred, one planned, and one RNG.

I finished it Wed night, but when I went to post Thursday morning, b12 ate it because I had the reply page open for a week or so. Usually Chrome is pretty good about restoring input boxes in such situations, so I haven't been bothering to back things up, but this time it didn't work. Usually when this happens to me, it kills the game; The thought of redoing the hours of work I put into a turn is just too daunting.

That said... I like this setting too much to let it die so easily. Instead, I shall channel my inner George RR Martin, and shift the focus to another character entirely for the time being. As such, I am changing the name of this game to The Redleaf Epic.

Without further ado, lets meet the next main character, Dougpo Illeum of the Silver County Nature Mage's guild.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 20th Day:

Saturday

"Are you sure you don't want me to handle it?" You ask as you pass the shroom-pipe to the teary eyed and naked young countess using your lap as a pillow. "Not too many people can arrange the death of their parents, ensure that they are wounded during the killing to clear themselves of suspicion, and still be good to go without any support or rest save a visit to the healer and a good dwarven shafting. You should get some sleep, and let me handle it."

Charlotte Marlowe takes a drag from the pipe, and playfully tugs at your beard with her free hand, before agreeing to your request. "Yeah... its been a busy day. I should get some sleep..."

You both rise from bed, and Charlotte jots down her instructions for the meeting to come while you put your clothes back on. The young countess is a talented scribe, and by the time your boots are laced, she has already stamped her message with the seal of King's Road County, and entertains you with a nude dance while you groom your beard.

When you finish, you take the letter, and kiss the countess goodnight.

"Goodnight... Guild Master." She replies as you depart. You are glowing as you make your way to the roof to greet the balloon full of key guild personnel, likely moreso from the promotion than the sex. God knows the job won't be easy, considering the circumstances, but you have dreamed of running the guild ever since you first joined thirty years ago.

---

When your first wife died, you were given permission to retire from the Manview Guard fifty years early as you felt you needed a change of pace. A few months later you followed a young balloonist's apprentice you were sleeping with downhill to human lands, and discovered that you qualified for a well paying Balloonist's job with the guild.

Over the years, your influence within the guild grew, and on several occasions you were called to fill the posts of Sky Armada Master, Sky Caravan Master, and even Archmage of Wind on an interim basis. Within seven years, you had earned enough seniority to take time off whenever you wanted, and began to explore the landmass in your balloon. One day, while paying a visit to goblin lands, it was suggested that you buy a book and try to teach yourself dark magic, as you were already an air mage and an enchanter. You have dabbled in the dark arts since, and although your talent is raw, you have managed to find a niche selling clean alpine air to air realm natives living elsewhere.

Ten years ago, the City State of Manview, suspecting that the Duke of Redleaf's proposed road into the Ironheart Mountains would compromise its independence, sought to establish closer ties with the guild, which also stood to lose much from Lord Riverland's proposal, by contracting it to police and regulate the elemental mages within its borders. As you were both a former Manview Guard, and a high ranking guild member, you were asked to transfer away from your post as a pilot, and establish the guild's operations in your home town. Instead of drawing a large salary for your services, you arranged it so that the guild would let you operate your own balloon caravan without paying them a cut, and three years ago this side business made you enough money to purchase and renovate a large estate dug into the summit of one of the Ironheart Peaks.

Although this new posting saw you largely stuck in one place and cut off from the guild's power structure, you would still hear news of happenings in the Duchy from time to time. The road was completed seven years ago, and as a consequence, the guild began to rapidly decline, but a year later a small miracle occurred; A group of highborn youth from Redleaf Duchy, led by the Duke's own daughter of all people, began investing in the guild and attending board meetings. None of them, at the time, had even reached puberty, but their ambition and intelligence had a radical effect.

Two of these children, the Marlowes, were the offspring of the count upon whose land the hated road began. As their father was ancient (by human standards anyway), and they promised to throttle trade on the road once they came to power, confidence in the guild's long term future rose. The young nobles convinced several other dwarven city states to invest, and weaseled their way into managing the vast majority of these dwarven investments. They also managed to secure for the guild (and similarly administer) investments from several Rising Isle crime lords based out of Gulf Land just north of Redleaf Duchy.

Two and a half years ago, young Horace Marlowe managed to dispose of his parents and take over the county, and you managed to score an invite to his ascension ceremony. After the prim and proper ceremony, which was attended by many prim and proper members of the human nobility, concluded, an after-party was thrown in the guild headquarters at Balloon Point, at which point the group of four young friends declared a desire to lose their virginity together, and an orgy was hastily arranged, which you attended.

As the orgy wound down, you were invited to a more private encounter with both of the Marlowe Twins; As it turns out, the siblings shared a preference for older men of the fair-skinned races, and likewise you could enjoy the tall and lithe body of a human regardless of gender. Shortly after this, you were promoted to be in charge off all guild operations in the Ironheart Mountains, and sent back to Silver County so that the Marlowes could continue to pay you visits. Eventually Horace settled on an exclusive relationship with one of his bodyguards, but his sister Charlotte continued to date you. Charlotte never offered nor demanded an exclusive relationship, but did quickly forge a deep friendship with you, which saw you quickly inducted into Chasity's inner circle.

You had a front row seat to watch Charlotte and her friends scheme and assassinate their way into control of King's Road County, before they turned their eyes to the biggest prize: Roe River County. Getting rid of the Kinkaids would earn Chasity so much prestige that there would be no way her parents wouldn't name her heir, the Marlowe's would be able to disarm the threat posed by their maternal grandparents, and the guild would gain access to North Bank City's mercenary market, one of the few places in the Duchy where nature mages could sell their services without paying the guild a cut.

To acquire the troops needed to pull the conquest off, Chasity enlisted the help of Prince Rubricon Emmit, a minor royal and fellow investor in the guild. All he asked in return was permission to name the new Count of Roe River County. You advised your young friend that Rubricon's offer seemed too good to be true, and Chasity agreed, stating that she would snuff out whatever he was planning by having him killed once he put crown troops under her command. This turned out to be a mistake.

Rather than helping Chasity, Rubricon employed the girl's contingency plan to dispose of her father (which she drunkenly divulged during a planning session that he attended), had Duke Riverland killed, and Chasity herself kidnapped to serve as his bride. Claiming control of the duchy himself, Rubricon ensured the compliance of the Marlowes and the guild by threatening Chasity's safety. Knowing that controling the Marlowes through fear and threats was not a great long term strategy for the Prince, you deployed balloons and demonic scouts, and spotted the host you knew was coming to dispose of them. After learning that it was lead by her parents, Charlotte Marlowe came up with her most sinister plan yet, one which you would play a key role in.

When the host arrived, Charlotte surrendered at once, and invited her parents and their officers to parlay over dinner. You attended the meal disguised as a servant, and when the demon you arranged to slaughter all the important guests did its job, you subtly collected their souls. The Demon falsely claimed it was sent by one Maeris Riverland, A known dark mage, Chasity's mother, and the Duke's widow, and when the few survivors relayed the story to the rest of the now headless fifteen thousand strong host, panic set it. It was then a simple matter of pulling in most of the Guild's high command structure to take over command of the host (the Marlowes had successfully been experimenting with mage lead troops since the Kinkaid's attacked them following the Duke's death).

This left you in charge of the now somewhat-hurting-for-talent guild, so you quickly hopped into your balloon, and returned to Balloon Point for an emergency meeting within twenty four hours of killing Charlotte's parents.

---

Of the few remaining guild officers, only a few are able to attend the meeting on such short notice. Archmage Ren, the archivist, is more interested in taking notes on the meeting than contributing anything, and Grand Archmage Lee only attends to inform you that he finds being made to serve under a dwarf to be degrading, and that he is considering resigning. This would hurt your already taxed officer supply, but it would not be unexpected. Lee hails from the Rising Isles, which is said to be the birthplace of humanity. With only a few exceptions, non-humans visiting 'the holy ground of mankind' are killed on site, and although they don't practice this while visiting other lands, rising isle natives are not the sort of people to make friends with dwarves.

Luckily for you, guild officers are not the only ones you invited to this meeting - Having spent years in power, you have managed to amass a decent collection of loyal underlings, who you are now in a position to exploit/reward by assigning them officer roles should you wish to do so.

Slant, a jungle orc Ice and Air elementalist, was one of your beat officers when you were in charge of policing Manview. Slant has an intuitive sense for detecting lies and spotting clues, but is otherwise not that bright. She is a very good hand with the net and trident, however, and knows her way around a carpenter's workshop.

'Rascal' Jourem Urisn is your old friend and fellow Manview Dwarf. You taught him just enough air magic to get him admitted to the guild, and he has been your secretary ever since the Marlowes sent you back to Balloon Point. Like you, Rascal was a member of the city-guard, but unlike you, he moonlighted as a housebreaker and drug dealer, and as such has all sorts of interesting criminal skills.

Mr. Milton is an orc of Clan Ivy's prestigious 'Agent' bloodline which incorporates the genes of demons and goblins as well. You purchased him off a demon, and had him programmed to experience a powerful and addictive high while obeying your commands. Mr. Milton is an accomplished druid, peerless sneak, and also practices divine magic relating to shadow, fear, endurance, and obedience.

Soren is an elderly human eunuch, who was booted from the inquisition for not being man enough after a demon castrated him. A badass fire elementalist, earth elementalist, druid, and crossbowman, Soren was one of your better officers back when you policed Manview's mages. He also has the potential to practice divine magic, but is too loyal to human law to do so without the blessing of a human priestly order, none of which will have him.

Also present is Silias, formerly Count Marlowe's bodyguard, presently his secret boyfriend, head of the Balloon Point City Guard, and fellow member of the 'Chasity Club'. Silias informs you that the host you just helped acquire is going to be sent into Silver County to flush out and hopefully destroy the raiding force of Count Phineas Kinkaid that has been harassing Silver County. If the new soldiers get very lucky, the legendary 'Iron Count' himself could be killed or captured, which would go a long way towards breaking the moral of the enemy.

Once Silias is done talking, you ask Archmage Ren for a report on the guild, and he happily provides an overview document, with the newly vacated posts highlighted for your convenience.

Balloon Point Nature Mage's Guild
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

It is said that in Silver County only birds and balloonists get to see the sunset, which is obscured to most local viewers by the Iornheart Mountains. Life is good at thirty thousand feet, as your magic keeps the air warm and thick enough for you to comfortably lounge in your undergarments and smoke a pipefull of relaxing herbs. You allow yourself the indulgence of watching the sunset like this, by staying at work late and gaining needless altitude on the way home, several times a week, and are quite sure that doing so keeps you sane. Your job is stressful, and with your new responsibilities it is sure to only get even more crazy. The guild had firmly banked upon Chasity's agenda and ambition, and between her rebellious hag of a mother and distasteful kidnapper of a husband, you are sure things are going to get real complicated real fast. Unless your brilliant ringleader can free herself soon your best hope of success, and perhaps even survival, is take the future of the guild into your own hands at the upcoming board meeting.

With a long drag on your pipe, you banish stressful thoughts from your head and instead count your blessings. You own an impressive home, and now have access to the fully furnished Guild Master's Suite at work. You have a steady income in both silver and souls, and enough mortal and demonic business contacts outside of the guild to ensure that your salary is only a small portion of your revenue stream. What you lack in terms of close family ties, you make up for in friends, friends with benefits, and trusted underlings. With your personal balloon, you can safely reach any point in guild territory and the Ironheart Mountains, as well as some places in orc and goblin lands, in under three hours. Most importantly, however, you are confident that you have the skills and experience to handle whatever is thrown at you.

Tomorrow is Sunday, and you intend to take the day off and split your hours between celebrating your good fortune and catching up on your sleep. The fate of the guild can wait until Monday, and you need some time to consider what your first orders of business will be then anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 28, 2016, 10:46:13 am »

Guild Master Dougpo Illeum:

---

Alright. I've put a good 13 hours into this (re?)introduction, and still need to give you information on Dougpo's personal life, property, and business dealings outside the guild. But I think I've kept this thread dormant long enough, and will post now. Hopefully this is enough to get suggestions for a short turn out of you lot, with which I can include the still missing information.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)
« Reply #430 on: May 28, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »

Well, the first thing we should do is sort out the fire archmagister.  Either find a way to convince him to stay, maybe allowing him to appoint some new members and assuring him autonomy in his dealings, or figure out a replacement right away.  If he wont work with us I would rather *fire* and disgrace him.  This guild does way too much business with non humans to let him walk after his opinions are known.

We need powerful, skilled or highly connected people to take over the archmage positions, if our archmages can't hold their own we will be a laughingstock.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 28, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »

Wow, that was sudden.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2016, 06:34:11 pm »

Clever. You change the point of view, while still keeping some aspects we are familiar with, like dark magic. I like it, but my hearth still lies with Maeris, and I hope that we will get to manage her again. Still, there are plenty of things to do.

I will probably make a whole new spreasheet for Dougpo later.

So, we seem to be in a good position of strength right here. We should try to make the whole Guild structure more stable. I do not think that we wil need to worry much aobut political connections inside the guild, as we have the ultimate word here. So, I say this:

First, we invite Lee to resign. We don't need disloyal mages here.
For all the archmage positions, we will organize a sort of contest where guild members of at least 5 (maybe more?) years of being in here could participate to be elegible for the position for Archmage of their respective discipline.
The contests are to be celebrated next month, where each weekend the aspirants to two disciplines will have to go through tests of their magical might, and we will get to select the winners.
Prior to the contest, applicants will have to go through a theoretical test about the knowledge of their craft, which will act as a way to thin out the ranks of potential contestants.

As for other designations, I guess that the Ironheart Zone could be occupied by Rascal Jourem (unless we want to put him to do the customs work).

And I don't know what else to suggest right now. I like the opportunities that we have (and how we are being scammed by that demon)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, I wince in pain for the stuff that was lost, and good to see you've gotten your second wind.

I like it, but my hearth still lies with Maeris, and I hope that we will get to manage her again. Still, there are plenty of things to do.
Also this. :3

Speaking of: Haha, nobody is going to have trouble believing we took out poor Jasper with a demon at all. :I

Well, the first thing we should do is sort out the fire archmagister.  Either find a way to convince him to stay, maybe allowing him to appoint some new members and assuring him autonomy in his dealings, or figure out a replacement right away.  If he wont work with us I would rather *fire* and disgrace him.  This guild does way too much business with non humans to let him walk after his opinions are known.

First, we invite Lee to resign. We don't need disloyal mages here.
I'd like to convince him to stay on. It sucks that he's not fond of us, but he's powerful and, perhaps more importantly, being able to hold onto him would maintain a sense of unity and inclusiveness in the guild's leadership that you just can't get ousting anyone who doesn't like you.

For the persuasion part, maybe advising him to think of it less as being ordered around by a dwarf, and more being ordered around by the will of the guild, which at this precise moment seems to have been concentrated in the form of a dwarf.

Alternate plan: We get a human secretary, as in cute thing to have in the office, and have them relay any orders with the implication that it was their idea. The Archmage said he'd find serving under a nonhuman demeaning, he didn't say anything about idiots, shills, or tarts.

We need powerful, skilled or highly connected people to take over the archmage positions, if our archmages can't hold their own we will be a laughingstock.
For all the archmage positions, we will organize a sort of contest where guild members of at least 5 (maybe more?) years of being in here could participate to be elegible for the position for Archmage of their respective discipline.
The contests are to be celebrated next month, where each weekend the aspirants to two disciplines will have to go through tests of their magical might, and we will get to select the winners.
Prior to the contest, applicants will have to go through a theoretical test about the knowledge of their craft, which will act as a way to thin out the ranks of potential contestants.

As for other designations, I guess that the Ironheart Zone could be occupied by Rascal Jourem (unless we want to put him to do the customs work).

And I don't know what else to suggest right now. I like the opportunities that we have (and how we are being scammed by that demon)
I kind of like the idea of a contest, but it'd be hard to measure, I think. Maybe a more general festival or tournament designed to show off and bring nature mages together, from which it is also likely that the next archmages will be chosen?

I'd otherwise sort of like to wait and see who we want to put where. It might look bad if we hit meeting time and there's vacancies, but we've got around two months of slack and it might pay to check out our options.

More importantly, we need to figure out what we want the guild to do. We nearly got gutted by somebody building a road, investing in a more stable, long-term plan of operations might be advisable. Which then begs the question: What are nature mages good at? I think we should start looking into magical, Ironheart, and Kingdom matters to see if we can figure that out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 02, 2016, 10:17:31 am »

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 22nd Day:

Monday

After a calm flight to work, you settle into your luxurious new office, pack your pipe for the morning, and consider hosting a contest to fill the vacant Archmage positions. You have two main ideas for how this can be executed. The safe way would be to quietly recieve auditions for the offices over the course of the next month, but if you turned the tryouts into some sort of public spectical, and all went smoothly, it would reflect well upon you. Such a public event would likely be a target for Phineas Kinkaid and his raiders if they are not dealt with by the time you would host it, however.

You pause to consider the daunting logistics behind such a party, or even simpily inviting guild members for private tryouts, and find yourself just a bit lost. You understand and are well connected to both the guild's balloon business, and its contracts in the Ironheart Mountains, but outside of those areas, you are not terribly comfortable running and organizing the specifics of guild business. You suppose that is what the other officer posts are for. It might be to your benefit to appoint at least a Lash Master who can coordinate your will with those who have the tools to carry it out.

Trying to remain positive, you turn your attention to something you feel you can accomplish, and hunt down Archmage Lee for a meeting. The Pyromancer keeps you waiting outside his chambers for almost two hours, before inviting you in. You can tell he is trying to ruffle your feathers, and choosing not to indulge him, you greet the human with a smile. The two of you make awkward small talk for a few minutes before you get down to business.

"I was wondering what it would take to convince you to stay on as Archmage." You state, "I think it is important that the guild shows unity, and it would not look good if I let you leave just because we couldn't get along."

The Archmage considers your words for what feels like an eternity, before giving you his answer. "If you allow me to fill the empty Archmage positions, I shall stay. After the board meeting I may choose to give up the post of Grand Archmage and allow somebody willing to lower themselves and work directly under a dwarf to have the role, but I will stay on as the Archmage of Fire for the foreseeable future."

You light your pipe, without your host's permission, and ponder his words. Lee's offer would solve both the problems you intended to work on today, but would give the man more power than you had intended to hand him. Still, that might not be all that bad. If you put his views on race aside, Kuzu Lee's political agenda is likely not all that different from your own. The interests of the Rising Isles are largely represent by Chasity and her friends, so Lee should be on the same page as them. He also resents the two parties you presently consider to be the biggest threats to the future of the guild: Chasity's mother and her army of 'Orc-fucking rebels' and her 'untrustworthy and stupidly aggressive' husband.

---

After the meeting, you pay a visit to the Guild Master's Suite, which is small compared to your present home, but far larger than any other place you have lived. It can comfortably sleep you, whomever you invite to share your bed, and eight other housemates. The decor is better suited for a jungle dwelling human or orc, as the place is well adorned with the furs and scales of the local wildlife, and although this theme is not something you would have picked yourself, you don't find it annoying enough to be worth the effort of remodeling.

Also attached to the suite is an impressive wizard's lab. You have a writ from Horace's court mage allowing you to legally practice Dark Magic for 'research and prevention' purposes, and as such the proper equipment to preform the black arts has already been set up. You have a rooftop landing zone for your personal balloon just upstairs, which you consider a great boon. As icing on the cake, the suite comes with a servant you are already familiar with: Skylar Reese. A favored agent of the Marlowes Skylar is a rarity, a human hermaphrodite. You are sure Horace sent him to be your spy as much as your housekeeper; Skylar is a true social chameleon who can pass as a young human of any status or gender - they even secretly practice the divine magic of some obscure deep god who mimics the powers granted to the priestly orders, allowing them to pose as an Inquisitor or Steel Sister.

Skylar informs you that they are fully at your disposal, and that you have two other servants to keep your new apartment tidy if you require Skylar's services elsewhere.

---

You decide to fly back home after work, the trip is short enough, and you are fond of neither dining nor sleeping alone. On your way back, you think of the role of the guild, as well as nature magic in general. The ability to manipulate the world around oneself with magic is invaluable to many trades, but in most places with heavy industry, nature mages subscribe to the guild of their profession or a local university to look after their interests.

The Balloon Point guild holds a fairly unique niche. Aside from the port cities, both Redleaf and Tradewind Duchy are too rural and underdeveloped to play host to major guilds or universities, but home to such an abnormally high amount of druids and elementalists that some regulation of professional nature magic is necessary. The vast majority dues paying guild members employ nature magic to aid in one of the following five professions: Farming, Hunting, Mining, Fishing, and Mercenary/Guard work. An elite class of casters, largely consisting of balloonists and particularly successful miners, hold a disproportionately large amount of the local nature mage population's wealth. The guild itself will sometimes take on large contracts, and directly employ members to fill them, so it can be said to provide employment in addition to regulation.

In terms of expansion opportunities, the dream has always been to muscle in on North Bank City and ensure that mercenaries who practice nature magic pay their guild dues. The Mercenary interests also do their best to keep the guild from expanding into Orc Territory; The Jungle Orcs have many strong nature mages, and share several mutual rivals and enemies with the guild, so it is commonly accepted that the guild would benefit greatly if it had free and unrestricted access to the river crossing and the orcs on the other side. Chasity's plan to take Roe River County from the Kinkaids would allow the guild to accomplish these goals, but Prince Rubricon did a fine job of messing that up.

Where Rubricon closed one door, however, he may have opened another. The other juicy target is Port Lionfish, which like all human port cities is controlled by the powerful Shipwight's and Sailor's Guilds. Every individual ship equipped for war or intercontinental trade employs at least two nature mages to control the winds and currents, and on the deadly waters of the Gulf of Monsters even smaller fishing vessels tend to employ Druids and Water Elementalists. Although the Guilds of Tradewind Duchy consider the remote and dangerous waters of Port Lionfish to be second priority, they are far stronger than your guild, and drawing their ire would normally be suicidal. If Rubricon gave his support to your pushing in on port Lionfish, however, the Tradewind Guilds might not retaliate for fear of crossing the crown.

---

Your Balloon lands at Godspike Peak, which is the name of both your estate and the mountain it sits atop. It was build six hundred years ago to reward a healer who saved the life of the present King of Manview's Grandfather, and remained in his family until they fell upon hard times and sold it to you three years ago. You manage to keep expenses low by staffing the place with clay constructs rather than mortal employees, which is good, because even considering your respectable wealth Godspike Peak would be too rich for you otherwise.

The main home, dug into the mountain like a proper dwarven dwelling should be, can sleep thirty five in the lap of luxury. There is also a good sized structure built on top of the summit that sleeps twelve and offers amazing views of the higher peaks to the west and human lands to the east. You turned this 'upper house' into the headquarters of your personal ballooning business. You had a second, smaller, building built on the summit as well, to host your wizard's lab, where your apprentices spend hours each day packing alpine air for Alfierzi, and take various on elementalism, police work, enchantment, and dark magic from you several evenings a week. On any given night several balloonists will drop anchor at Godspike Peak and enjoy your hospitality. Between the apprentices and pilots you can usually find somebody to share your bed with you. Sometimes your wife is even around.

---

Akirya Newman, the human who largely runs your business for you and is the closest thing you have to a stable girlfriend, is around this evening to drop off a load of coin. She intends to leave on the next leg of her journey before bedtime, so you decide to simply enjoy a private dinner with her.

After making some small talk, shooing her sons, flirting, kissing, shooing her sons again, and making more small talk, the two of you get on the subject of business, and how your new position can be used to benefit your private interests. Akirya notes that as Guild Master, you could easily give your own company license to employee more pilots tax free. Your predecessor had limited your balloonists to yourself, a coin runner, and five merchants, but the only thing you need to change that is your signature on a few documents.

"I think you should permit us two more pilots hon," she proposes with a grin. "Then we hire Lorenzo, Chuggif, and Hueguth to fly for us as merchant pilots, let me settle down and run the business so you can focus on the guild, and give my husband the coin runner job."

You consider the proposal carefully. On a personal level, seeing more of Mr. and Mrs. Newman around the house has some appeal, and you know damn well they are up for the job, but you are not quite sure you are willing to give up the remaining operational control you have over the business.

As for the pilots she wants to bring in, all three have talent, but issues as well. Lorenzo is untested as a merchant and negotiator, while the other two are highborn goblins who don't even feign loyalty to the kingdom; Chuggif will even brag to anyone willing to listen that he is kin to the Pharaoh.

Household, Business, and Personal Contacts:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31