Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65364 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2016, 06:01:52 am »

Quote from: Zeph's sister / Legendary Thief offered
five million silver
Now, I don't know how much silver actually is in those minted coins, but I'd wager we would be able to get axebeach the silver that it currently lacks. Might not even need to be from the thieves, though I agree on their deal.
Obviously giving it away for free, is not a good idea at this point in time - but trading on favorable terms, for a trade-good that they can obviously spare, is another matter. What I'd have in mind, would obiously be Souls.

The question is, how much silver is a slave-soul of axebeach worth, and how much we can get out of such a soul.

Actually, ask about their silver needs either way. We know of a smuggler who should have contacts that might help with this, and through the smithy and enchanter business, we could also channel some silver to axebeach without arrising too much suspicion.

Quote from: Tomcost
Thief business

Okay, our demands for their services are simple: they are to gather a personal element from each of our enemies. Bonus points if they don't notice the lack of said element.
I agree with IronyOwl, this would be a most effective, and delicious move. Thing is; doesn't their god disallow killing and other stuff? He also might disallow it, if it is done by proxy, as would be the case in this scenario. If it is not allowed, and done by unknown proxy, the god might not care - or as much.

I'd suggest that we gingerly ask around this possible problem, and ascertain if we really could use the thieves like intended.
Questions like "If you can't open castle doors, what about their key - are you allowed to hand them over to an attacker?". Make them about our daugthers possible rescue, which is actually something we might want to keep in mind.

I'd go for their deal either way. We can give them freshly vacant-ed positions, or have them marry into nobility through our family.

Quote from: IronyOwl
Otherwise... are we basically ready for our trip? With the Virgil issue dealt with we're not tied down by anything local very badly, are we?
I'd argue that we would want to resolve Greent before that. If we - or his father - tell him of our daugthers current predicament, he is sure to become some sort of ally. Not sure, though, we want him to find out without proper guidance, as how to solve the problem.

I guess it would boil down to two things; How we handle her rescue, and how we handle waive her punishment.
About the later, I guess having Joy succeed us, would do plenty - especially as her sister is already reaping a worse sentence at the moment. Or, well, something that could easily spiral into such a sentence.

About her rescue, I'd wager that we can have the thieves map out the castle, their numbers, their patrol routes - basically anything needed to have Clan Ivy's goblin-agents do a rescue mission. That Chasity, as our daugther, is also kin to them, or us including her rescue in our talk with the Chieftess, might have them willing to take a few deaths for the cause. At least as a possibility, we might want to keep that plan in mind. (Not too sure about the geopolitical problems involved in that plan though)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2016, 06:46:57 am »

Quote from: Zeph's sister / Legendary Thief offered
five million silver
Now, I don't know how much silver actually is in those minted coins, but I'd wager we would be able to get axebeach the silver that it currently lacks. Might not even need to be from the thieves, though I agree on their deal.
Obviously giving it away for free, is not a good idea at this point in time - but trading on favorable terms, for a trade-good that they can obviously spare, is another matter. What I'd have in mind, would obiously be Souls.

The question is, how much silver is a slave-soul of axebeach worth, and how much we can get out of such a soul.

Actually, ask about their silver needs either way. We know of a smuggler who should have contacts that might help with this, and through the smithy and enchanter business, we could also channel some silver to axebeach without arrising too much suspicion.
Agreed, more information about Axebeach and our opportunities regarding it is always good.

Quote from: Tomcost
Thief business

Okay, our demands for their services are simple: they are to gather a personal element from each of our enemies. Bonus points if they don't notice the lack of said element.
I agree with IronyOwl, this would be a most effective, and delicious move. Thing is; doesn't their god disallow killing and other stuff? He also might disallow it, if it is done by proxy, as would be the case in this scenario. If it is not allowed, and done by unknown proxy, the god might not care - or as much.

I'd suggest that we gingerly ask around this possible problem, and ascertain if we really could use the thieves like intended.
Questions like "If you can't open castle doors, what about their key - are you allowed to hand them over to an attacker?". Make them about our daugthers possible rescue, which is actually something we might want to keep in mind.

I'd go for their deal either way. We can give them freshly vacant-ed positions, or have them marry into nobility through our family.
They only mentioned killing or kidnapping, which means stealing should be fine so long as we don't/can't do fatal hexes.

I've been wondering, though, if breaking Chasity out solo would count as kidnapping. With a 24/7 guard, likely of divine assassin mercenaries, I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it might instantly flip the Marlowes if we could pull it off. And Greent, though then he'd immediately begin plotting our demise so he was in a good spot to take over once we'd dealt with Rubicon for him.

Quote from: IronyOwl
Otherwise... are we basically ready for our trip? With the Virgil issue dealt with we're not tied down by anything local very badly, are we?
I'd argue that we would want to resolve Greent before that. If we - or his father - tell him of our daugthers current predicament, he is sure to become some sort of ally. Not sure, though, we want him to find out without proper guidance, as how to solve the problem.

I guess it would boil down to two things; How we handle her rescue, and how we handle waive her punishment.
About the later, I guess having Joy succeed us, would do plenty - especially as her sister is already reaping a worse sentence at the moment. Or, well, something that could easily spiral into such a sentence.

About her rescue, I'd wager that we can have the thieves map out the castle, their numbers, their patrol routes - basically anything needed to have Clan Ivy's goblin-agents do a rescue mission. That Chasity, as our daugther, is also kin to them, or us including her rescue in our talk with the Chieftess, might have them willing to take a few deaths for the cause. At least as a possibility, we might want to keep that plan in mind. (Not too sure about the geopolitical problems involved in that plan though)
Like Redding says, if we tell him outright he's liable to get hasty and foolish. We might need to ease him into it or something, which might take some time.

I like the idea of a combined Thief/Ivy attack plan, but if it involves killing guards (it probably will) it might interfere with their no-kill clause. Loading Ivy up with knockout potions/poisons of some kind might get around that, but even then remember that it's pretty deep in enemy territory. It'd be a pretty big project assuming it's possible at all.

We should ask about it, though. Rescuing Chasity might interfere with the Prince's claim to the Duchy (which could in turn mess with Jasper and Silvia Marlowe's allegiance), in addition to gaining us Greent (in the short term) and the Marlowes (also in the short term and Kinkaid conflict aside).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2016, 01:31:59 pm »

As there are too much words to quote something here, I'm going to say my opinion regarding the most important subjects:

First, we should totally start organizing the trip to Chieftess Ivy:
-We leave Redding in charge. We tell him to make sure that everything is in order, and otherwise tell Wednesday to tell us (see point below). Also, we don't tell anything to Greent because we just don't have the time to deal with this now.
-We leave Wednesday to tail Redding and Greent. We tell Redding of a place where he can leave messages for Wednesday to pick up. She then can contact the knifehouse goblins to send us messages via one of Trance's demons.
-We take Joy, Dean, Fortune, Virgil, and Rugath.
-We leave Lilly to serve as practice during the dark magic sessions (an so that she can learn too). We tell her to behave well, and we will probably have a gift for her (like better quarters, or that Joker's steel dagger which I will discuss below).

Dean's love affairs:
I don't want a Kinkaid spawn right now. If Fairweather becomes a manifestation via absorbing one of Tiv's minions, she will become loyal to the family business, and thus to our family. Then I'm fine.
About the rest of the girls, I don't think that any of them is a good candidate for our Dean.

Axebeach
We can't probably use twice the excuse of "Meet me at Niech's sanctuary", because the second time they will realize that there is something fishy going on. If you want to think about this, it is fine, as I'm not totally convinced about this. But just don't meet with them now.

As for the slave business, I support getting all the info that we can.

Shopping list for Niech
As we can either choose for 10 souls, or 12 in store credit, we have to fully use those 12 souls if we want the armor now. So I proposed something. If you have better ideas, please tell, because only the armor for Half-Moon was the really important one. The rest was filler. Also, the Fiend's Lung is for our future team of Inquisitors working under us.
But I'd really like at least one Joker's steel dagger for Wednesday.

Thief business

Hexes can't directly cause death, so there is no problem with them stealing for us. But, as always, I'm in favor of more information.

And we probably know the map of the castle ourselves. Jonas could either bring the asassins to our side, or make it highly possible that they will be waiting for us. So, I'd rather not say anything until we contact Tetha.

But I will quote something:

Not fond of promising Denzel anything, but that's mainly because I'm arrogant about our chances in a protracted conflict and want to negotiate from a position of unquestioned strength.

We are in a position of unquestioned strength. Fortune has told us many times that she desires to die so that we can raise her. We can totally use that as our advantage against Tetha. If Fortune doesn't fulfill the Prophecy, Tetha is basically dead as a God.

Also, we have a lot of other means to extortionate her:
-She is whoring to Yukmondor, which may or may not piss off Hammerhead.
-We have a hotline to all the demons from the goblin lands, we can easily create a coalition to bring her down.
-We have contacts inside the Inquisition, we can easily make them hunt Denzel down. And one of her biggest assets would die.
-We can always marry Fortune to the Goblin Pharaoh or a noble like that and piss them off.

But we also have things to offer:
-Fortune's hand. Like, why the heck didn't they ask for it in the first place?
-Like 100 followers or such, reviving clan Foot.
-Fortune's hand. Again.
-Maybe some worship from our family?

So we are not in such a bad position to negotiate. With Tetha, not with Denzel.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2016, 05:10:54 am »

(Here is a dump. We might have another small dump on Goblin Society tomorrow, but otherwise this should return to its regular schedule Thursday)

On Demons:

Although there is no universally agreed upon definition of 'Demon', the Traditional Drowish School of the Dark Arts, upon which the practices of both the goblins and western human highborns are based, teaches that mature demons are beings who usually possess the following four traits:

1: They are natives of the realms that mortal casters can directly contact without resorting to divine magic, or artificial beings based on such creatures.
2: they can directly metabolize souls (and often other energies as well) to trigger individual growth.
3: Their thoughts and motives are close enough to those of mortals that mortals can generally reason and communicate with them on their own terms.
4: They may not interact with realms they are not a part of without resorting to mortal summoning magic or similar processes.

The demons that practitioners of the Drowish School interact with are further divided into Greater Demons and Lesser Demons. These designations are fairly arbitrary; A Greater Unit (the amount of soul energy that one must consume to be considered a greater demon), or GU, was defined by the ancient drow as the amount of energy a member of the elemental knight genus would need to consume to defeat a team comprised of one master practitioner of each nature magic using only its natural demonic abilities. The Bonedusts teach that a GU is equivalent to approximately four hundred and seventy five average human souls, but other reputable mortal practitioners of the Drowish School may place that number at anywhere between four and six hundred souls.

Only around two percent of the beings who meet the definition of Greater Demon are considered 'civilized' enough for members of the Drowish School to do business with as equals, and the majority of these are ascended mortals. 'Civilized' greater demons typically work in demonic organizations with a single leader, who is typically the best negotiator, one to six other greater demons who preform various important functions for the group and receive a reasonable share of the profit, and numerous lesser demons who are rarely treated any better than slaves. Other civilized greater demons wander the realms as freelancers, but still follow the same business practices as the organizations when dealing with mortals.

You know a bit about the other schools and traditions of Dark Magic, and the relationship between their practitioners and the demons that they work with.

The Enchantment based Ironheart School practiced by the kingdom's dwarven neighbors traditionally teaches that demons are not to be trusted, and that direct dealings with them should be seen as a last resort. Many modern practitioners, however, have been tainted by the Drowish School, and negotiate openly with the civilized demons.

Surface elves rarely practice Dark Magic in any sort of traditional sense, but they will use Hex Weaving to spread the hexes of powerful magical creatures from the mortal realm, and may sometimes use summoning to colonize other realms. As such, their dealings with demons are generally hostile, and those they do work with tend to be prisoners bound to their service.

You have heard that in the distant and exotic city of Toombs, the Dark Mages do business with a massive demonic organization that is controlled by one of the obscenely powerful deities known as titans.

In the distant Rising Isles, both the mortal mages and the demons they deal with are said to be subservient to the same mighty dragons, and as such view their dealings more as aid exchanged between respected friends and allies than a business transaction. These Dragon Vassals are often directly opposed to the interests of the 'Civilized Demons', and as such practitioners of the Drowish School are taught to assume them to be hostile.

The extinct grey orcs would combine their Dark Magic with the clan system, with most clans supported by four or five 'Demonkin.' The Drow got involved with the war against Grey Orcs (and dragged their human allies with them), because they felt their Dark Mages could not compete with the Orcs, who would often receive service from their Demonkin for free.

Many more primitive societies practice some form of Bonded or Wedded Dark Magic in which each practitioner aligns with a single minor demon, with the goal of ensuring that each party grows strong alongside the other. In Bonded Dark Magic, the partners remain on separate realms, and merge via accession at the end of the mortal partner's life. In Wedded Dark Magic, one partner is summoned to the others realm, where they live as a family and profit by producing halfbreed offspring that they either employ to their own ends or sell to the highest bidder. In both cases, the end goal is often to gain the recognition of the demons and dark mages affiliated with a more powerful and prosperous group.

---

Types of Demon:

There are few limits to the form and abilities a demon might possess, but most mortals looking to ascend follow a tried and true template to ensure a successful transition. As most demons that the Drowish School deal with are ascended mortals, they tend to fall into one of several major categories.

Naturally Occurring Demons are a mix of organic flesh and natural elemental energies, that often come into existence in elemental realms without mortal help. Their personalities tend to match the traits used by mortals to personify their element (fire is rash, earth is ponderous, air is flighty, ect). Some mortals take the forms of these creatures when ascending, but unless the dark mage in question is a high master nature mage as well, he or she is more often better off ascending as an Elemental Knight. As Naturally Occurring Demons have little reason to tie themselves to the conventions of mortals or artificial demons, it is considered a rare and high honor to do business with one.

Elemental Knights are combat focused demons largely based off the Naturally Occurring Demons in terms of design and opperation. They are warped into humanoid form to allow them to wield mighty weapons, and their brains and elemental powers are set up in such a way that one only needs somewhat above average skill in the related elemental magic to make the most out of an Elemental Knight's body post ascension. The Elemental Knight is said to be the oldest form of artificial demon known to the Drowish School.

Elder Demons or Deep Demons are based on the early designs of the drow, as well as the mysterirous and likely extinct beings from the deepest depths who taught the dark arts to the pale elves over a hundred and fifty thousand years ago. Many are incorporeal, amorphous, and/or in possession of physical shapes that defy the geography of the mortal realm. Elder Demons tend to possess powers related to abstract and non-elemental magics, such as summoning or divine energies. The functions assigned to this class of demon vary greatly; but many kinds, such as Lighteaters and Realmanglars are created to fill a specific niche and deal with a particular power or tactic that would otherwise be tough for a given dark mage or demonic organization to deal with.

Devils are demons grown from or based on the demonic servants typically ordered by the goblins from the drow. Devils tend to possess powers capable of inspiring mass panic, such as plague, famine, and/or necromancy, as well as a silver tongue, a head for numbers, and an intimidating appearance. These same traits used by the goblins to control large slave populations also make devils the ideal choice to lead demonic organizations.

Fiends are a varied group, based upon or grown from the lesser demons that the drow sell to human practitioners. Most fiends are based around a single skill or purpose, and perform this assigned task at a near peerless level. A demon or dark mage looking to establish a demonic organization will often choose the type of busniess they go into based on the sort of fiends that they controls. Fiends tied to the humans of the Rising Isles are called Demonic Masters or Infernal Monks, and tend to be even more skill focused; Such demons prefer to gain strength through training rather than through the wanton consumption of souls, and as a result beings to judge their opponents solely based on supernatural strength often underestimating them.

Sentinels and Corrupters are artificial demons created to thrive in realms of emotion, where few, if any, of the locals are reasonable enough to be negotiated with. Sentinels serve to guard other beings from the effects of wild emontion creatures, while Corrupters are aggressive beings who inspire in others the states of emotion upon which they feed. Forms taken from this category, particularly sucubi and incubi, have been fashionable for ascending mortals to take for the last half century ago. Manifestations not looking to spend their post-mortal years working will often retire with a harem, or seduce and mooch off of a stronger demon or even a deity.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 10, 2016, 12:02:50 pm »

That was really useful.

So, I'm making a compilation of the infor dumps and other things that could be considered useful, and I'm editing my first post in this thread to show it.

So, here is the Information Hub!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:57 pm »

Neat on both counts.

As a reminder, this is Dean now:
Over the next thirty minutes you watch the birth of a new Dean. His eyes thin out and drain of color, becoming narrow slits of pitch black on his face, and it seems to get a bit darker in the room; Sure signs that he is manifesting a demon from the Light Eater genus, which will grant him immunity to almost all divine magic, and perhaps other abilities that might be triggered by his feeding upon divine energy.

Next his skin gains a silver metallic sheen, and with an agonized roar, Dean Spawns two new limbs from his upper back, each ending in a sharpened scythe. The Executioner he just absorbed to gain said unnatural weapons will also give him strength, speed, agility, and resilience above the human norm, and, you suspect, a deep loyalty to the family business if Tivavarav fed your son one of his own lesser minions.

Lastly two small horns erupt from your son's head, and a long thin tail from his lower back. Clearly a manifested devil, which should improve his social skills, especially his deception and negotiation. He will have gotten other abilities from the Devil as well, and as the tail is blue you suspect they may be related to water.
We should ask him if there's anything other than souls he can eat to grow stronger.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »

We should ask him if there's anything other than souls he can eat to grow stronger.

Priests! We should feed him pesky priests that we don't like. Also inquisitors.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 11, 2016, 11:37:31 pm »

Dean is a big boy, he can take care of himself.  What we need to work on right now are the mess with fortune and securing our orc and human allies.

We need to prepare for Clan Ape, give them a formal invitation to camp outside the city and figure out an easy and fast way to get them across the river.  Still say we should get those dragon eggs as a state gift for them.

For our human allies the Kincades have thrown in so they are good, we just need to make sure the mercs stay on our side long enough to die.  Not sure...

For Clan Ivy I like the idea of heading there as soon as possible to formalize our agreement in person with Joy, Dean (and a date for him) and Fortune and some undead and demons, Caddor and Wendsday should stay to assist Redding.  Then we can get back to meet with Clan Ape, visit Redding's family (with an army of demonic orcs) to plan our attack on the Prince.

The a vacation before the war really starts.

For the problem with who should lead Axebeach's army, summon them both to the sanctuary have the orc possessed by the greater shadow demon who needs place to hide out, appoint him general and sacrifice the other one.  That ensures loyalty from our general and we cna leave Axebeach affairs off for a while.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 12, 2016, 06:20:12 am »

We need to prepare for Clan Ape, give them a formal invitation to camp outside the city and figure out an easy and fast way to get them across the river.

The Kinkaids are arranging everything. They are even taking the town needed for the orcs to get into this side of the river en masse.

Dean (and a date for him)

I disagree with the date. I still have the theory that to make our alliance "Biological fact", Dean may have to sire a half-orc (and probably at least a quarter demon) bastard.

For the problem with who should lead Axebeach's army, summon them both to the sanctuary have the orc possessed by the greater shadow demon who needs place to hide out, appoint him general and sacrifice the other one.  That ensures loyalty from our general and we can leave Axebeach affairs off for a while.
This would be overkill, I think. With just killing someone, the loyalty of the other one is almost guaranteed. Also, I still want the shadow demon to possess Gregory. But I want to wait until we can discuss things with Tetha.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:57 am »

I agree with holding off on most major decisions until we know what our demonkin want and have planned. I do think we'll still be expected to provide food and lodging for Ape, though.

I disagree with taking a Date for Dean just because she probably wouldn't know what she was in for. Well... Fairweather Kinkaid might, but I'm not sure we want her in this deep yet.

Figuring out our purchases can, ironically, be done just fine from anywhere with a projection stage, but since the wheeler-dealer's (and thus dragon eggs and mystery crates) were time-sensitive, we might want to figure out what we're doing there.

I'm... forgetting our soul situation. We have the option to sell the glass, but that'd be kind of counter to out getting a glassworking drow. We get, what, 10 souls or 12 souls worth of soul credit monthly from our Axebeach overdemon? And the dragon eggs cost 2 apiece or, what was it, 6 for the lot of 4? The nobleman is 10, we have 20 drow on hold for 1 apiece, mystery crates are... 3 apiece or 3 for 6?

My temptation is to ask for our ten souls up front, then splurge on dragon eggs and stolen crates of divine loot. The more sensible option would be to request the souls, get 2 eggs if it works, and then save up the rest for our drow shenanigans.

Did we have another source of souls? I guess Lou was going to pay us in those?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:43 am »

We can always leave for later the gift to the Half-Moons, so we can take the physical souls if we want that enchanter now. But we should decide about it before telling our dwarf apprentice to take the enchanting job.

The option to sell the glass to Ovinsail is counter-productive, as Niech will probably net us way more souls via disenchanting.

Right now, we are selling the unknown augmented material for 6 souls, and moving them to the other demon to purchase at least 2 dragon eggs and a crate if we can. So no need to get rid of the soulglass right now.

Crates were 1 for 1, or 3 for 2.

The spreadsheet has listed the goods for sale on "Dark mage affairs".

Lou was going to pay us in physical souls monthly once we decide what do we do about Trevor.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2016, 09:59:33 am »

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 14th Day:

Sunday

You ask Cal for more details about her god's rules of conduct, particularly as to what would be considered 'aiding' kidnapping or murder, and luckily her answer leads you to believe that her behavior is far less restricted than you might have otherwise thought.

She can act so long as it isn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt, through either direct testimony or circumstantial evidence, that her actions would aid an act of killing or kidnapping. She couldn't open a door for a clearly armed group of warriors, but she could sell a key to and her notes on a building to somebody intent on slaughtering its residents, so long as she didn't happen to know that fact.

Cal could steal the belongings you need to preform Dark Magic; She knows enough about the black arts to reasonably assume that is why you want them stolen, but also knows there are many things a hex could do other than kidnap or kill. You order her to do just that. She promises to get you belongings from all the hostile Counts within the next month or so.

Next you ask about your daughter Chasity, and if rescuing her would be considered kidnapping. She considers your question briefly before giving you good news.

"Normally I'd say we couldn't do it without her consent, which I do suppose we might be able to get, but otherwise one's spouse has a stronger claim to one's liberty than one's parents. Chasity should be fine, however. By Elven Law, which is the law our diety holds himself to, your daughter is too young to wed."

She grins, and rises from your bed. "My husband ranks high enough in the elfish clergy to perform annulments legal in the eyes of all elfish gods. Simply provide him with a written request, you can leave it with Zeph or hand it to him in person while he is in town, to declare the marriage invalid on the grounds of an underage bride, and he will take care of rest."

Before she leaves, you ask her to survey the castle, and to make a report on the guard situation that 'another thief' might find useful. You also tell her about the secret passage beneath the trophy room that leads to your old dark magic workstations. The prince and his cronies may have had them destroyed or removed, Chasity, as well as a good handful of the castle's servants, knew aoubt them, but if they are still in place and intact, you could use Clan Ivy's gate to send orcs directly into the basement of Cleanriver Castle.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 15th Day:

Monday

Before Chieftian Foot leaves, you track down Spittle, the pale Shaman who practices Tetha Worship and is assigned to Groghall while Clan Ivy is in in the city, and get her to agree to teach Foot about the deep deity. As both student and teacher in this scenario are already divine scholars, Foot reckons he should be able to pick things up quickly, and will be ready to teach about Tetha by the end of the month.

---

You inform Rash that you will take the War Ogre as a host for your Grub, on the condition that Clan Ivy helps feed it. Rash answers that Clan Ivy presently lacks the required surplus of Gems in town, but suspects that something can be worked out later once you have met with the Chieftess and discussed the longterm rights and responsibilities of Clan Ivy on your land.

Seeing as you have more than enough gems to get the grub started, you tell the confessor that future negotiations over food are acceptable, and in turn Rash agrees to to send a War Ogre to accept your demon.

---

You know enough about Goblin society to understand why the conscripts are slaughtered so freely; A dark lord provides his vassals with slaves every year, but never more than than they are capable of providing for. Unless it is thought that they can be trained to the point where they are worth more alive than as a soul within a year, new slaves are cursed with servitude and soul collection by way of the demons they are earmarked for and made to serve as conscripts for the better part of a year. Those who survive the year and show the most promise are given their freedom, proper gear, the training to use it, and a soldier's wage, but the rest are slaughtered en-mass before the population audit, which usually occurs at the end of winter, so that more slaves will be sent in the spring.

With that in mind, you instead ask how the gang divvies up the conscript souls every year.

Vartalaix explains that Axebeach loses about two to four thousand conscripts on the Western Front every year, and that those souls all go to the demon Ovinsail, who in exchange provides several key services for the gang. After taking into account those loses, and conscripts promoted to replace actual soldiers lost in annual scuffles against the Fiend's Eyes, between twelve and fifteen thousand conscripts are slaughtered every winter. The first three thousand and two hundred souls from each annual slaughter are earmarked to pay small annual contracts to various demons, and another five hundred souls are sent directly to the Pharaoh as tribute. Of what remains, 10% belongs to you, 40% is split nine ways between your underbossess, and the remaining half goes into the gang's joint account.

The joint account, as it turns out, is managed by Ovinsail, and can only be touched with the agreement of five underbosses, or one underboss and the overboss. As part of the contract that grants Ovinsail the souls from the western front, the pharaoh's vassal grants free transport of souls from the joint account to eleven demons, one of whom is Niechbaux, while each of the rest are selected by one of the ten bosses of Axebeach. Vartalaix tells you that you can contact the messenger with your selection of demon to receive shipping, but warns that Ovinsail only allows you to change your pick onece per decade. Vartalaix states that her loyalty belongs to the gang, and, by extension, the Overboss; She will happily endorse any use of the joint account, so long as such use benefits Axebeach.

When you inquire about the state of the account, Vartalaix informs you that is was emptied out upon the death of your predecessor. "It was likely the sea-bosses who did it. They are close friends, and would only need two other conspirators to get the job done. Furthermore, they know full well that you can't afford to punish them too harshly and risk losing your entire naval high command."

With all this in mind, you doubt getting Axebeach to supply a slave business would work. It seems like all their normal slaves are spoken for in the budget, and anything extra they capture can be sold to Ovinsail, likely for a better price than any small business you start could offer.

You instruct Vartalaix to negotiate with Armageddon Pier herself; You are confident that she, like any Succubus, will make a fine negotiator. Your goals are mainly to set up dependable lines of communication, as well as a means to coordinate the armed forces of both gangs against external threats going forward. Your second-in-command agrees to do just that.

Wrapping up the meeting, you inform those present that you have recently come into a large sum of silver in coins, and would like to help Axebeach handle the shortage in exchange for souls. Vartalaix states that she would be willing to serve as your middledemon and sell any silver you send her for a 10% cut of the souls. She would need to do some market research to give you an estimate of how much silver a soul should buy, and guesses it could be anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand coins for a soul.

Before leaving his home, you request that Niechbaux dip into your monthly tribute as store credit, and produce you a Scythe of Joker's Steel and a decorative orc sized set of armor made from Hide. He agrees, and makes a note of your order. It should be ready by the end of the day, but the Armor Fiend helpfully suggests bringing Chieftain Half-Moon to the summoning circle, so that measurements may be taken and adjustments made, before finalizing the deal by collecting the gear.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 16th Day:

Tuesday

Deciding to get Virgil out of town before news of the additional deaths arrive, which could happen anytime this week according to Fortune, you begin to hurriedly plan your trip to meet Chieftess Ivy at Current Castle. You make arrangements in the morning so that you can leave by the end of the day.

You tell Redding about the abrupt travel plans, and inform him that he is to be in charge, as you will be taking his wife. You instruct him to leave messages for you on your bed, so that they may be brought to the knifehouse and transmitted. Your son-in-law is also instructed to work with Caddor and pressure Finch to start setting up the smithing/enchantment shop.

Redding, eager to show his worth, agrees to do this, and also offers to handle the Trevor Wikes situation on his own if you would write out a decree specifically naming Redding as your representative to run the trial.

Next you round up your children, and inform them of your travel plans, instructing them each to be ready to leave by dinner time. You then pull Dean aside in private, promise to get his contraceptive potions ready upon returning to North Bank City, before asking him to sell the augmented ceramic, transfer the souls gained from the deal to Nragelth, and purchase for you, if at all possible, two Dragon's eggs and a crate. Dean promises to see the transaction through before leaving, and hurries off.

Virgil is approached next, and you tell Count Gulf that you are visiting Clan Ivy tonight, and that he is invited so as to perhaps help organize a proper excavation of the shrine. When you add that Clan Ivy is looking to entertain their guests for at least a week, and that a vacation to Orc Country might help him get over recent events, he agrees.

Wednesday will be trailing both Redding and Greent while you are gone, and ferrying messages to the knifehouse if necessary. Rugath will be coming with you to serve as your bodyguard. Both servants agree to their roles over brief meetings, and likewise Lily agrees to keep attending class and behaving herself. Just in case, you weave your own hex upon all your demonic minions; Usually a contract is voided once the beings involved are no longer on the same realm, however your status as a binder should allow you to overcome this limitation.

Word is then sent to Crank and Rash that you will be traveling to visit their Chieftess tonight - with at least five guests in tow. You get word back that the troops in town will help enforce Redding's will in your absence, and that if you instruct the demon to obey Confessor Rash while you are gone, and provide the gems you have gathered for it, she will set up your grubspawn farm for you while you are out.

You then prepare messages to Palm and the wights, informing them that you will be traveling for at least a week, and they will be in charge of running class on their own. Similar notes are sent to your students.

A message from Syzzik while you are wrapping up your last student letter, inviting you to be his date to a party on Friday night; This weekend marks a major feast of the Goddess Trance, and to celebrate Peat is hosting several high-ranking Clan Ivy soldiers, as well as other important individuals from town.

This message brings up two minor issues for you, the first of which is how to turn Syzzik down while also informing him of your departure. The second is the Feast of Trance itself; After racking your brain and checking some of the documents you received from Chieftain Foot, you conclude that the Feast this weekend is an event known as Celebration of Risen Blood.

The feast occurs only once every ten years, and runs from sundown Friday to sunrise Tuesday sometime during the 5th month. It marks the major anniversary of Traaaacieant, said to be Trance's great-great-grandson and Chieftess Ivy's father, earning the status of greater demonhood and entering into his goddesses' service as a ranking minion. The main festivities are shrouded in secrecy and take place in the Chieftess' personal chambers, and are said to be attended by all eight of Trance's notable demonic minions, angelic and demonic representatives from other Orcish and Deep Dieties, and dignitaries from other important orcish clans.

A festival is also open to the public, featuring twenty-four hour merriment and major events every evening. Friday features an opening address by the Chieftess, who makes a rare public appearance. Saturday features a battle royal of fights to the death staring female warriors from across orcish lands competing for the opportunity to birth Traaaacieant's offspring should they win. Monday is the men's battle royal with either Chieftess Ivy or one of Trance's female greater demon minions as a prize, followed by a closing address, often by Traaaacieant but very occasionally by the Goddess Trance herself. It is the Sunday night festivities, however, that most interest you; From Dusk until dawn, Clan Ivy's ban on dark magic in public is lifted, and an open stage with proper equipment is provided for foreign practitioners to showcase their power. Called 'the night of black acceptance', Sunday night is a fairly popular setting for Dark Mages along the east coast to meet, mingle, and network with both each other and the assortment of important orcs who represent many clans.

This Feast raises a few opportunities and concerns. To start, none of your guests save for Dean (and perhaps Joy thanks to the recent demonic modifications made to her) know a thing about demonic protocol, so they might come across as rude, or worse vulnerable, when socializing with any greater demon who might show up. To make matters even more dicey, your orcish social skills are rather subpar. Usually you can mask this in an individual setting by flaunting your noble birth, status as a dark mage, or knowledge of their lore, but when dealing with a large gathering of important orcs, you might be a bit lost. Joy might be able to cover for you now, but even if she has the skill it might be prudent to find somebody else to help out. If you don't mind the Kinkaids eventually learning of whatever you discuss in front of her, your Court Priest Snakeyes is a solid pick. Redding might be able to find you a merc for the job, but getting somebody with a clear schedule, the right skill set, and no strong ties to Greent on such short notice might be asking a bit much.

You might also want to plan and make any arrangements should you choose to demonstrate your dark magic on Sunday night - doing so may or may not be worthwhile, it is an awesome opportunity to network, but you have to be careful with what you do and who you are seen with at the public festival - there are likely to be at least a few other guests from the Kingdom who could go back home and spread rumors. The festival will also take place less than a day's journey from territory controled by Axebeach, so some of your underbosses might very well show up; If you play your cards right you might be able to dispel the rumors regarding your identity.

This train of thought is interrupted by Fortune, who pulls you aside just after lunch. "This trip we are taking could be the point of no return for us. You will be given the opportunity to forge a mighty collation, that will plunge the kingdom into a war that shall not cease until your descendants are either royalty or extinct."

Before you can respond to this, Dean struts into the main dining room of Groghall, followed by a goblin with a cart containing four blue-grey scaly eggs that are each slightly larger than your head. He shrugs and gives you an apologetic look. "She just sold all the crates to one buyer last night, but the owner of those eggs was threatening to come and search her holdings for them, so she was desperate to unload. I got the lot for four souls, which is all you had after the shipping fee anyway."

+4 Dragon Eggs
Nragelth's Stock is out of date

You have the afternoon to make final preparations for your journey. What else needs to happen before you leave?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 12, 2016, 06:15:54 pm »

Link to the spreadsheet

Information Hub

Thieves:

Give them the written request. Chastity wants to marry Greent, right? She shouldn't feel bad about it. And Virgil at the end didn't even want the marriage between her and his son. And we can rearrange everything if this goes south, which I doubt. Also we can bribe Virgil with a dragon egg.

Worm factory:

Give them enough gems to start the business. If we can avoid giving them the enchanted ones, it would be better, otherwise, I don't care. It is going to pay in the long term.

Axebeach

Don't say this to Vartalaix, but Request an audit about the movements of the common fund of souls from Ovinsail. We want to know what happened here, and if possible get the funds back for the gang.

Give them the thumbs up to slaughter those conscripts and create that fishing fleet.

Tell Vartalaix that we agree with her being the one in charge of selling the silver, but we won't commit until we know the prices.

Also quickly bring Chief Half-Moon to the summoning circle, and erase his memory of what he saw about the cave with Tiv's curse. He doens't need to know that much.

Preparations:

Let Redding handle the Trevor situation, as long as he can keep enough composure to not kill Trevor if he pisses him off (suggest maybe a potion to make him more calm or something). We know him. We also know his son. If he can't control Greent, then don't allow him to stay. We don't wall Trevor killed here.

Decline Syzzik's offer, saying that we are actually going on a diplomatic mission to Clan Ivy. We would love to go wih him, but right now we can't. This is just really important business. But tell him not to worry, because his ambition has rubbed off on us.

If you guys can write something better, it would be really nice. But the final phrase is what matters the most.

Give the eggs to Tempest so that she uses her fire elemetalism to incubate them. Otherwise, send them to Peat, to have his minion Kill take care of them. Peat will surely love this once he knows that one of those eggs is for Chieftess Ape.

Invite Chieftain Foot to go with us to the festival. We need orcish manners.

Go with Dean and talk business with Tiv, about the following:
-Any contacts that he wants to have for his demonic business.
-Offer to do some advertising for him. We are proably going to encounter other dark mages from the East Coast, so we can recommend him or even impose that they do business with him. But we may need to demonstrate our might, so:
-See if he can allow Yaugur to come for free just to show off during the Sunday night. Note that this doesn't mean that we will summon him, we just want to consider the options. We don't want to make him fight, we don't want to take risks. The idea is to just do some advertising for the family business.
-Ask about what he will need to expand his operation, something that he may need to do in case we get him enough customers. The contacts we have gained recently means that we are in condition to invest in his otherwordly business. We can just buy souls from the goblins, and we can contact the City of Toombs to buy staff for him.

Also, I have some contingency plans in case one guy from Axebeach finds us:
We obviously pretend to have no idea what they are talking about, but we deviate the subject and then we inquire: we know that Clan Scarab is smuggling things to them, because we have a contact in there (do not tell them it is Greent). We don't want said contact to be incriminated, so just warn them to be extra careful with the smuggling.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 12, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »

+1^
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 13, 2016, 05:27:19 am »

Sounds good so far, though I'd supplement some points.

Decline Syzzik's offer, saying that we are actually going on a diplomatic mission to Clan Ivy. We would love to go wih him, but right now we can't. This is just really important business. But tell him not to worry, because his ambition has rubbed off on us.

If you guys can write something better, it would be really nice. But the final phrase is what matters the most.

Not sure this is any "better", but I would like us to attend this matter personally, and tell him the straight-up truth. If Syzzik is to be our lover, we owe him that much; It is a most important political matter, one, that fortune even got wind of by her "own" means. It is also a prerequesite to both of them taking that "little boat trip" - and getting this whole war on the right track. "I" actually am of the opinion, that Maeris really could use some down-time from all the scheming, and a nice weekend with Syzzik would be just the thing for that - but either way, right now his presence in such an openly political setting, might complicate things.

Go with Dean and talk business with Tiv, about the following:
-Any contacts that he wants to have for his demonic business.
-Offer to do some advertising for him. We are proably going to encounter other dark mages from the East Coast, so we can recommend him or even impose that they do business with him. But we may need to demonstrate our might, so:
-See if he can allow Yaugur to come for free just to show off during the Sunday night. Note that this doesn't mean that we will summon him, we just want to consider the options. We don't want to make him fight, we don't want to take risks. The idea is to just do some advertising for the family business.
-Ask about what he will need to expand his operation, something that he may need to do in case we get him enough customers. The contacts we have gained recently means that we are in condition to invest in his otherwordly business. We can just buy souls from the goblins, and we can contact the City of Toombs to buy staff for him.

I'd like an orcish opinion or two on mighty Yaugur attending the festivities of, well, the presumably somewhat lesser Traaaacieant. I would imagine it would do the later honour, but it could also be a faux-pass.
Else, this would be a nice gesture to show that not only the bonedust-branch of maeris and the clan ivy, but also their backers, are in a good relationship. This would complicate things for our Uncle though. Not that it should matter much, seeing how this war currently seems to play out - or well, the plans for it.

As for what we actually may do on that black magic show, I'd wager we pack any reagents that might be needed to put on a show befitting of us. I'd wager that most dark mages will flock to our "cause" soon-ish anyways, about the time we reveal ourselves to own axebeach, and the implications thereof - but having their support sooner, would put is in a better position.

Quote from: Fortune
"This trip we are taking could be the point of no return for us. You will be given the opportunity to forge a mighty collation, that will plunge the kingdom into a war that shall not cease until your descendants are either royalty or extinct."

Oh boy. If we are to believe this, and her hopeful husband gets wind of it, what are the chances that he will switch sides? ^^
(To be bonus cryptic - "our descendants", might also imply our grand-children. Which we really should get more of, I guess ;o )
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31