Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65363 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #360 on: May 03, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »

Uh didn't Dublin give us 3 demons as a courting gift and take some classes on the dark arts?  He seems like a practical inquisitor and in the past they have been known to work with allied dark mages.  Let's not be cursing him when we could just as easily work to ensure his top place in his church and through him convince the church that we are not a threat and in fact an asset.

He is not currently taking classes with us. You are confusing him with Angie Pence. And he is more of the risk seeking sort, that's why he is courting us. I actually fear that he may get himself killed.

But I like the idea of making him more important in the Inquisition. Hunting down Shaman Pork and ending up the werelemur epidemic would be a huge hit, and maybe give us more influence with the local inquisitors to get our own band of demon hunters to coerce other dark mages. Maybe we could send him with the Watcher to set an ambush for him.

But, meanwhile, I'm going to change my idea of what to do:

Before the ambush, go fishing with Dublin. Fish in a realm of shadow, and Keep Starling nearby.

And for the Dark Magic class, I guess that we could let them bind and unbind Lilly. She's not going to be able to do anything, and I'm tempted to promise her better living quarters if she does a good part and doesn't attempt anything stupid.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 05, 2016, 10:25:19 am »

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 12th Day:

Friday

You decide to use the rest of the time before class shows up to begin your preparations to participate in Pogpugrooog's scheme. First you call the succubus, and inform her you are in, before asking what she knows about the demons who attacked Yaas. She knows little, as she hasn't spoken to that particular minion since shortly after the attack, when he roughed her up and cussed her out. She does however give you permission to contact Yaas directly, and run the plan off him.

With a bit of hesitation, you drop out of the call, weave Yaas' hex directly onto your soul. Although you have never contacted this demon directly, he seems to know who you are. He greets you with a charming smile, and asks why you have called. With a sigh, you explain the reason he was attacked, and ask what he knows about the demons responsible.

"Oh... Tetha... she is one of Hammerhead's girls. That explains why Meniaop was involved. You know who that is, right?"

You shudder a bit. Meniaop is a Blitzbeast, a particularly nasty combat demon that moves faster than the mortal eye can see, and wields deadly lightning powers. Meniaop is well known across the lore of both demons and orcs as a mercenary who takes jobs from the Orcish Pantheon, their friends, and their angels, in exchange for a supply of divine energy which he uses to grow in strength, and he has been at this work for well over a thousand years. Alone, Meniaop sits around the upper limit of beings you suspect Yaugur could dispatch easily, but his speed means Meniaop would be free to evade your ancestor and engage other targets before fleeing.

"Yes... I'm familiar with that one. Who is the other?"

Yaas shrugs, "No clue, it was some sort of realmangler. Mainly there to block my escape, but I think it was casting divine magic against me."

Realmanglers are demons built more for mobility and support roles. They can jump between demonic realms almost at will, and can restrict other beings nearby from any sort of realm manipulation. Although not combat oriented by design, any greater demon who practices divine magic must be considered a threat.

Your Great-Grandfather Talcutta is a Realmangler himself, and could be brought along to try and counter-act this foe, but by the standards of greater demons Talcutta is young and unaccomplished - it is quite possible that the other Realmanger would outclass him, or that Meniaop might just rush in and destroy him to end the meddling. With this in mind, you start to have second thoughts about Pogpugrooog's scheme. Yaas detects this, and flashes you a knowing grin.

"Listen, I don't like our odds if we fight this. I know who you are and what you are trying to accomplish, and I think your odds are better against the prince than mine against that Blitzbeast, so how about this, find me a proper victim, and I'll lay low on the mortal realm and serve you for the duration of your mortal life."

Yaas' proposal is intriguing. Shadow Fiends are greater demons of deception and trickery, and are most feared for their ability to do a flawless impersonation of any mortal whose soul they consume. A skilled Shadow Fiend can thwart even the wisest inquisitors, and truly great ones can even fool the gods themselves, and take on the divine magic of their victims. If you were to feed him somebody useful but distasteful or untrustworthy by sacrificing them at the summoning circle, the names Gregory Rothwell and Trevor Wikes come to mind for some reason, and then contract Yaas to severe you loyaly while taking over that person's role, you could better secure your position within town. Still, there is one main hitch...

"What about your mistress," you ask, "she wont be very happy about me for stealing her minion."

"Heh. She wouldn't find out. She acts like she knows everything, but anything she dosn't get from gossip she gets from me. We can pull this off, I can fake my death again, and she wont be any the wiser. She is too weak to be controlling a being such as myself anyhow..."

You promise to consider the offer, but reassure both Yaas and yourself that you might still be able to ensure a win against Tetha's goons if he just comes out of hiding. Ideally you'd like to patch things up between Pogpugrooog and her minion, you need the former for information reguarding your daughter, and the latter to help deal with Fortune's condition. There would be much to loose by pissing either off, but you are now unsure if that can be avoided.

Finishing up with the Shadow Fiend, you call Yaugur, and tell him what you have learned. Your ancestor confirms that he would not be able to protect you from a Blitzbeast, at least not while trying to catch it at the same time, and with a Realmangler around, it would somewhat dangerous to summon yourself nearby, even if the beast in question was unconscious. He does note that Meniaop does a lot of work for Clan Ivy, so it may be possible to go through them and get the Blitzbeast to either switch side, or even to serve as a go between help you negotiate with Tetha. He also adds that it would be possible to let him deal with Meniaop on his own, and then you could summon and bind the demon once it has been restrained; This particular method would be much easier with Meniaop's hex, but is still doable without it.

You call Niechbaux, inform him that you have taken Haggen's offer and are now his master, and explain that you would like some clothing made of Fiend's Lung. Your vassal, noting his contract doesn't obligate him to make it for you and that he dosn't like the idea of his master risking her life by waltzing around demonic realms, refuses. He did already get word of your ascension, however, as did your underbosses, several of whom have already sent you messages.

The students arrive shortly after you wrap things up with your vassal. Dark Magic lessons pass uneventfully; Nobody has a breakthrough in Hex Weaving, but by the end of the class everybody is capable of binding Lilly to a contract while standing in the circle. With a few more days practice, working a contract is something they should be able to easily accomplish without the circle's help.

After class, you ask Fairweather Kinkaid to tell her uncle Dublin to come over for a fishing trip. You intend to practice binding under favorable circumstances. The Wights who dwell in the cave advise against this at first, but back off once you inform them Dublin is an inquisitor. It takes him some time to arrive, but he is impressed by the setup, complimenting you on your ability to gather twenty five undead and a tentacle demon as additional backup. After a little bit of idle chatter, you step into the circle and get to work.

Reaching out with your spirit, you begin to grope around other realms for objects of interest. You find small realms of both wind and shadow, places where you think it is safest to fish with Dublin, and also feel out the realm of emotion that all the binding of Lilly left the circle attuned to just for the heck of it. After thirty minutes, you have several prospective catches that seem like they could be safe enough to pull into your realm. Nothing is stopping you from taking more than one target, but the act of reeling something in will disrupt your connection with the realm you are pulling from, so you can only take one object from each before you have to re-cast.

Fishing Targets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright. Tomorrow I can do a full and proper turn, and hopefully cover several days. I'd like to resolve the fishing trip in one post (as it is potentially dangerous, so I'm not moving past it until it is done), so tell me what you would like to pull in, as well as a list of concessions/incentives you'd be willing to offer any demon you pull who may be too strong and proud to simply force unconditional servitude out of.

Then give me suggestions to run me through a few days, should the game allow us to go that far.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 05, 2016, 11:52:57 am »

I Suggest we pull in: C, D, and I.
Because they sound like fairly good choices to me.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 05, 2016, 12:26:56 pm »

Oooh! I like the options. Pretty interesting, overall.

Fishing:

I vote to pull B, F and H. I'm aiming for what I feel have the least amount of danger, and thus more probabilities of unconditional servitude.

Incentives/concessions, in order in which we will give them:
-Hexes, lots of hexes!
-Days off. During which they won't be able to do anything stupidly dangerous for us.
-Maybe some regular torture, if we can find someone we really hate or that can just take it, like Trevor. (I'm proposing this for a demon of emotions).
-An initial payment of souls. But delayed, because we currently don't have any.

If they demand regular payment of souls, then it means a big no.

If this goes well, we should say that we had fun, and casually ask Dublin how would he fare against more powerful demons, like a truly powerful Blitzbeast. Or maybe a Realmanglar.

If he agrees, let's ask if he would find it exciting to fight demons on their turf. We have the means to help him there.

As for the other things:

Pog, Yaas, and the demonic clusterfuck:

Okay, I'm thinking about this:

If we manage to contact Meniaop, then we would have a nexus between Tetha and us, and so we won't need Pog any more, and so we can easily take Yaas' offer. I'm thinking about Gregory for the puppet, as long as Yaas is able to fool the Inquisitors under his command.

We should ask the demons of Clan Ivy if they can contact Meniaop. If they can, we should use him to negotiate with Tetha.

But I have another plan, too, this one involving extortion:

Ask Pog is she knows if Hammerhead is of the jealous kind. We may have juicy information about Tetha. We could ask the same thing to Meniaop, if we manage to contact him.

Messages to send to Axebeach

-Agree to meet with the Succubus at a later date (But first we will curse the heck out of ourselves to inhibit all our libido. Just in case.)
-We know that the Ivy got into the succession dispute in Redleaf, and that we are on good terms with the side they chose. If there is conflict, maybe we can help.
-We agree that there should be only one military leader, as two figures with authority often create confusion and unnecesary conflicts, but that we don't have enough information about the inner workings of the military in Axebeach yet.
-We have a good source of information that Lindwurm is fine, but that he is involved in further corruption. They should thread carefully when attempting to go for Tradewind Duchy ships.
-As a question, inquire about how the monster fishing is done in the Gulf, and the different kinds of fish they hunt. We may be interested in doing some necromancy experiments with them.

As for the rest of the week (taken from a previous post):

Virgil problems

So I propose some form of damage mitigation:

-Contingency plan: no matter what we do, we put Tiv's soul stealing curse on Virgil. I don't want him to die, but there may be no other choice.
-Weak but human plan: we just help him with what we can, we try to distract him with archeological findings or whatever. Maybe we could send Joy to help him. I don't know if we have someone who could help him with that.

As for a means of getting the documents, I would say that we should start by consulting the goblin scribe, then Gregory, then the market, and then our family. But please, not our Great-gradfather. It will piss off Tiv.

Potion class

Get them to make a potion. Practice makes things more interesting.

New properties

Have Caddor see what he can about those things we have. He could start an enchanting enterprise, and we have the capital to organize something. We also know people with the know-how, like Snakeyes and the dwarf apprentice. About the housing, maybe he can rent them or sell them.

Also tell Caddor that we can get some drowish slaves for souls, and that one is an enchanter. With Lou's tribute we may have enough for some of them.

About the orphans, offer them work as helpers in either potioncrafting or whatever thing Caddor organizes.

And meet with that half-breed and ask him what he is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:59 am »

I like B, D, and J for the fishing. Mystery box, possible wisdom font, and suspiciously shiny object. Everything we need to become an adventurer! Or, ah, lure hapless fools into becoming adventurers for us, I suppose.

Tom's list of offers looks pretty good, but don't forget about career opportunities. We're quickly becoming rather well-connected.

Pog, Yaas, and the demonic clusterfuck:

Okay, I'm thinking about this:

If we manage to contact Meniaop, then we would have a nexus between Tetha and us, and so we won't need Pog any more, and so we can easily take Yaas' offer. I'm thinking about Gregory for the puppet, as long as Yaas is able to fool the Inquisitors under his command.

We should ask the demons of Clan Ivy if they can contact Meniaop. If they can, we should use him to negotiate with Tetha.

But I have another plan, too, this one involving extortion:

Ask Pog is she knows if Hammerhead is of the jealous kind. We may have juicy information about Tetha. We could ask the same thing to Meniaop, if we manage to contact him.
I'd rather negotiate with Tetha without taking either offer. Pog and Tetha are both potentially useful to us, so it'd be nice if we could all play nice. If not, I'd still like to know more about the situation before stealing one of either's prime goons.

To that end, I approve of seeing if Clan Ivy can get us in contact with Meniaop, and then seeing if Meniaop can get us in contact with Tetha.

Messages to send to Axebeach

-Agree to meet with the Succubus at a later date (But first we will curse the heck out of ourselves to inhibit all our libido. Just in case.)
-We know that the Ivy got into the succession dispute in Redleaf, and that we are on good terms with the side they chose. If there is conflict, maybe we can help.
-We agree that there should be only one military leader, as two figures with authority often create confusion and unnecesary conflicts, but that we don't have enough information about the inner workings of the military in Axebeach yet.
-We have a good source of information that Lindwurm is fine, but that he is involved in further corruption. They should thread carefully when attempting to go for Tradewind Duchy ships.
-As a question, inquire about how the monster fishing is done in the Gulf, and the different kinds of fish they hunt. We may be interested in doing some necromancy experiments with them.
-Yes, and OH GOD YES. Maybe bring Dublin as ablative armor while we're at it. In fact definitely bring Dublin anyway, it'll be hilarious. We should avoid letting him know what's going on beyond "I'm meeting with a powerful succubus," obviously.
-Might as well throw him a few more bones: Apparently Clan Ivy has sworn kinship with the rebels, and are settling in for what's looking like a long and unpleasant conflict.
-We might as well ask both of them for their take on the situation. There may be a limit to what we can actually do at a distance and incognito, but it'd be good to know, at least.
-Do Syzzik's smugglers come in through Tradewind? I'm having trouble finding where he mentioned their route.
-Very good, everyone loves fresh fish. Or rotting murderous fish stuffed with dwarven wight souls, as the case may be. Though, bear in mind that letting slip that we are (or have access to) a necromancer helps narrow down our identity slightly.

As for the rest of the week (taken from a previous post):

Virgil problems

So I propose some form of damage mitigation:

-Contingency plan: no matter what we do, we put Tiv's soul stealing curse on Virgil. I don't want him to die, but there may be no other choice.
-Weak but human plan: we just help him with what we can, we try to distract him with archeological findings or whatever. Maybe we could send Joy to help him. I don't know if we have someone who could help him with that.

As for a means of getting the documents, I would say that we should start by consulting the goblin scribe, then Gregory, then the market, and then our family. But please, not our Great-gradfather. It will piss off Tiv.

Potion class

Get them to make a potion. Practice makes things more interesting.

New properties

Have Caddor see what he can about those things we have. He could start an enchanting enterprise, and we have the capital to organize something. We also know people with the know-how, like Snakeyes and the dwarf apprentice. About the housing, maybe he can rent them or sell them.

Also tell Caddor that we can get some drowish slaves for souls, and that one is an enchanter. With Lou's tribute we may have enough for some of them.

About the orphans, offer them work as helpers in either potioncrafting or whatever thing Caddor organizes.

And meet with that half-breed and ask him what he is.
These all look good. I'd still like to get Lilly in on potions classes, if she wants to. Fortune also, but she probably still doesn't have a lot to learn with the class where it is.

If we get Lou's tribute in time, I might be leaning towards getting a pair of dragon eggs for Chieftess Ape and Virgil, and beefing up Kill to incubate them. It'd make a nice magicky storm gift for Chieftess Ape and a nice Gulf History symbol and comfort pet for Virgil. Otherwise I'd probably want to save up for that glassworker Drowish nobleman.

We should look into getting Mackie's children set up as orcish divine casters. I don't doubt Foot could use some more cash, and we could use a bit more spare divinity around. Plus, the eldest daughter has already shown a deep scholarly interest in orcish culture!

If we have time, we should talk to Redding about getting the elf brothers set up to take Wikes' place. I'm not in a hurry to have his trial, but we're going to have to get it over with at some point, and the better positioned everyone is for the fallout the better.

We should have Wednesday tail Greent for now. He's roughly on our side-ish at the moment, but she needs something to do and it could be handy to keep tabs on him for obvious reasons.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2016, 08:31:01 am »

We do have a person we could let the demon possess though, a certain mercenary leader who dislikes us very much but we want to keep alive and on our side for some god damn reason.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:05 am »

I'd rather negotiate with Tetha without taking either offer. Pog and Tetha are both potentially useful to us, so it'd be nice if we could all play nice. If not, I'd still like to know more about the situation before stealing one of either's prime goons.

To that end, I approve of seeing if Clan Ivy can get us in contact with Meniaop, and then seeing if Meniaop can get us in contact with Tetha.

Of course, that's my idea.

-Yes, and OH GOD YES. Maybe bring Dublin as ablative armor while we're at it. In fact definitely bring Dublin anyway, it'll be hilarious. We should avoid letting him know what's going on beyond "I'm meeting with a powerful succubus," obviously
This could backfire if he realizes what happens and tells her mom that we a goblin-lover traitor. But maybe the succubus can "convince" him to not say anything.

-Might as well throw him a few more bones: Apparently Clan Ivy has sworn kinship with the rebels, and are settling in for what's looking like a long and unpleasant conflict.
No problem with this

-We might as well ask both of them for their take on the situation. There may be a limit to what we can actually do at a distance and incognito, but it'd be good to know, at least.

Of course, +1

-Do Syzzik's smugglers come in through Tradewind? I'm having trouble finding where he mentioned their route.

To be fair, I just don't want them attacking the Kingdom. Just that. Syzzik smuggles things from Gearport, and they drop things in Port county.

-Very good, everyone loves fresh fish. Or rotting murderous fish stuffed with dwarven wight souls, as the case may be. Though, bear in mind that letting slip that we are (or have access to) a necromancer helps narrow down our identity slightly.
No real problems with that. They know that we are at least a hexer, and now a binder too, after that talk with Niech.

These all look good. I'd still like to get Lilly in on potions classes, if she wants to. Fortune also, but she probably still doesn't have a lot to learn with the class where it is.

Lilly is assisting to all the classes, and Fortune won't assist until we move frm the basics. That's what we have arranged until now.

If we get Lou's tribute in time, I might be leaning towards getting a pair of dragon eggs for Chieftess Ape and Virgil, and beefing up Kill to incubate them. It'd make a nice magicky storm gift for Chieftess Ape and a nice Gulf History symbol and comfort pet for Virgil. Otherwise I'd probably want to save up for that glassworker Drowish nobleman.

We need souls! I'm debating whether to use Niech's tribute in souls, or in store credit. He could make a badass demonic armor for Chieftain Half-Moon and a Joker's steel scythe for him, and that would make him too happy and away from the reproductive organs of our family.

We should look into getting Mackie's children set up as orcish divine casters. I don't doubt Foot could use some more cash, and we could use a bit more spare divinity around. Plus, the eldest daughter has already shown a deep scholarly interest in orcish culture!
I'm neither in favor nor against this. But I'm going to tell you a plan that have in case we can negotiate with Tetha:

It was mentioned in clan Foot's dump that by giving him some silver, he could re-establish his clan. He worships Hammerhead, and Tetha is one of his girls. We could tell him that we will finance his clan if they put Tetha as a primary or secondary deity and a hundred followers is something that we could use to negotiate with Tetha.

If we have time, we should talk to Redding about getting the elf brothers set up to take Wikes' place. I'm not in a hurry to have his trial, but we're going to have to get it over with at some point, and the better positioned everyone is for the fallout the better.

Oh, yeah, +1.
We should have Wednesday tail Greent for now. He's roughly on our side-ish at the moment, but she needs something to do and it could be handy to keep tabs on him for obvious reasons.

Yes, let her do something! +1

We do have a person we could let the demon possess though, a certain mercenary leader who dislikes us very much but we want to keep alive and on our side for some god damn reason.

I think that I want the demon to possess Gregory. We would ahve all the funds of the ciy at our disposal. Remember how he taxes the everliving shit out of non-humans? Well, there is mony in there. Plus, we would prevent any futher treason with his brother.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2016, 10:49:26 am »

(I'm going to start underlining things that I think may be worth adding to the character sheet somewhere)

Friday

Responding to the messages from Axebeach, you inform them that you have heard Lindwurm is fine, and that Clan Ivy is supporting the Rebels in Redleaf Duchy.

You then promise Vartalaix that you shall meet with her soon, and inform both Bloody Vadoi and Fin that you think having two military leaders is silly, but you don't have enough information to decide where you stand on the situation yet.

The following replies come in quickly:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After dealing with the underbosses, you ask Niechbaux what he knows about the monster fishing trade, and it turns out the answer is quite alot.

To fish for Sea Monsters safely and on a commercial scale, one must have large fishing boats armored and armed with advanced materials such as those made by a demon or an alchemist. Axebeach's boats are armored with Kracken's Beak and equipped with harpoons and spears made from standard demonic material.

Most of the meat taken is sold at high prices to upper caste goblins, and other valuable bits are sold to Clan Scarab to use in their potions. 'Fin' gets all the Dire Lionfish spines, which his craftsorcs alloy with Snakeskin purchased from Niechbaux to create Gulf Gold, a substance that compares to gold in weight, steel in both sharpness and durability, and the dire lionfish it was taken from in both venom and beauty. Gulf Gold is used to create blades for Polearms, decorative weights to balance many other weapons, and bolt tips for both crossbows and ballistas alike. Equipped with venomous Gulf Gold weaponry, the warriors of Clan Sperm Whale are considered Axebeach's elite special forces.

Sea Monsters are rarely used as components to build undead for two main reasons. First and foremost, they are more valuable when chopped into parts and sold. The second problem is that Niechbaux himself forbids it under the terms of his fealty; Most of his golems come in models that are capable of traveling underwater, and as such he considers swimming undead competition.

You ask about walking undead, as presumably his golems walk as well, and he explains those are permitted. He couldn't possibly make enough golems to account for every undead raised in Axebeach, but aquatic undead is a niche market with little demand that Niechbaux's output can easily meet.

---

"I feel an object endlessly falling through a realm of air... It doesn't seem alive, but does come across as powerful. I'm going to pull it in," you warn those gathered.

With a mighty metaphyiscal tug, you pull the object back to solid ground, and it lands with a heavy crash just outside the circle. It is some type of construct made from various gems and metals, in the shape of a large quadruped grazing animal. It likely was inactive, but the impact of being dragged across several realms and dumped on your hard cave floor has it stirring.

You let the strange golem wake up, before trying to communicate with it. It seems sentient, but speaks no language that anybody present recognizes. A wight helpfully suggests that it may be cycling through several indigenous languages from Titan Rock, but adds that such tounges are poorly documented and often short lived. After about twenty minutes of trying to talk, the construct lets out an ear-piercing shriek, likely out of frustration. Although you doubt the thing actually means you any harm, the yell makes you jump, and for a brief instant fear for your life, and that fear is all the tentacle demon decides it needs to attack.

Your demon wraps itself around the construct, and they both start grappling on the ground as neither seems equipped to do much harm to the other. Sir Evander Skorn, the wight captain, draws some sort of artifact blade, and starts hacking bits off the construct to end the fight. It takes a few swings, one of which inflicts minor damage to your demon, but the Golem is eventually deactivated, leaving you to sort through the scrap.

Upon closer inspection, the bulk of the beast is made of up ceramic material that has been heavily modified via alchemy; One of your Wights, Lady Medusa Skorn, suggests the material is from Ashblast, one of the Titan Rock city states that is famous for using alchemy and enchantment to create clay and glass that surpasses any mundane metal, and many modified or magical ones, in terms of combat effectiveness and utility. She then adds, however, that if the golem or its creator came from a major Titan Rock city-state, it would have likely spoken a language she understood.

You recognize one of the gems on the beast as a switchboard, a device used by enchantment based Dark Mages to store demonic contacts; If you used it with the projection stage or summoning circle, you could contact whatever demons the golem was in touch with. You could also work with a very skilled enchanter to translate the stored data into proper hexes for the demons, allowing you to know their name and as much about their role and personality as their Hex effects might teach you. Four of the other gems are also clearly enchanted, and one of the Wights who practices that trade notes that they are the golem's power source, and that the technique used to enchant them does in fact point to the primitive folk of Titan Rock. The Switchboard, however, he notes, seems likely to have been enchanted by dwarven hands

+4 Enchanted Power Gems
+16 Assorted Precious Gems
+2 Tons of Unknown Augmented Ceramic Material
+New Possible Contact/Household Member - Medusa Skorn [Undead Minion]: A woman born to an elite merchant from the City State of Lagoona, who spent her youth wandering Titan Rock before marrying into House Skorn to secure a trade deal for her parents. She knows much of the lore of Titan Rock, although her information is well over a millennium out of date

---

"I going to pull something out now... I have no clue what it is, but I can actually feel the darkness radiating off of it... Pulling it out now."

You pull a small demon, about the size of a chubby human toddler, out of nowhere. On instinct, you wrap the creature in a tight embrace to weave your hex into it as strong as you can get it before it recovers from the shock of being summoned and starts squirming. You drop it to the ground, calm yourself with a deep breath, and examine your catch.

It appears to be a large and chubby worm, completely and monochromaticly black in color to the point that its features are difficult to make out unless it is moving. You know this is a fairly rare form of parasitic minor demon known as a Darkluster Grub, which latches onto, burrows into, feeds from, and eventually comes to control a mortal host. The preferred diet for such a demon is the radiant energy found within all gems, and especially enchanted ones, so victims of this demon develop an insatiable appetite for gems and even glass. As the scarab grows stronger, it slowly modifies its victim with inorganic features until it feels it is strong enough to dominate other members of the victim's race. It then hijacks the victim's reproductive system and sets out to reproduce, typically outputting litters that are about 1/4th fully mortal, 1/2 half demon, and 1/4th full worm.

The creature is easily bound to an unconditional contract. As soon as the contract is made, you know more about it; It does in fact understand the common language of the kingdom, but lacks the proper mouth bits to speak. You can tell it longs for a host, and that the enchanted crystals you picked off the golem would quickly give it strength to modify and properly control its mortal victim. A large animal, perhaps Fortune's snake, would be ideal if you wanted it to control a bruiser, and you are sure the orcs of Clan Ivy would line up and volunteer for the honor if you wanted it to possess a more versatile and skilled host.

You also know that some dark mages who manage to bind such a creature elect to serve as its host themselves, using their control over the worm to prevent it from controlling them. Such an arrangement would force the demonic bug to modify your body in only the manner of your choosing, and if you allow it access to your reproductive system, you could start having children again - quicker and far less painfully than the human norm would dictate. Becoming a demonic rock monster and laying clutches of demonspawn eggs, however, is the sort of action one would only take if they were willing to fully abandon the kingdom and its standards of decency.

+Unconditional Servitude Contract with an Unnamed Darkluster Grub. It is presently set to dwell in the cave.

---

"Something in the realm of emotion is feeding off my hatred and desire for vengeance... I'm going to check that one out."

The creature puts up no struggle as you pull it out, and at once it dawns on you that you may have been tricked by a being concealing its true power. With a loud pop a variety of Greater Demon that is ironically known as a serene guardian appears before you. You quickly take advantage of the metaphyiscal connection created by its feeding from of you to hastily weave a weak copy of your hex into its soul before the dangerous demon gets its barrings.

Serene Guardians are tall humanoids with silver flesh and devil-like horns on their head. They feed on powerful emotion that is both negative and aggressive, such as hate and fear, leaving their victims less aggressive until the drained emotions replenish themselves. Although it is not necessarily designed for combat, it is still a greater demon, so the creature is powerful; It is likely that the force you have assembled could prevail against it in battle, but the body count on your side would be high, and it could hurt somebody important such as Dublin or yourself. To make matters worse, Serene Guardians instinctively feed off the flight or fight response of others, which means they usually land the first blow or two of any fight they are involved in. Against such a powerful demon, your untrained and weakly installed hex will only allow you to force a contract that greatly benefits the demon in question.

If the demon wasn't muting your fear, you would have likely just bound it to a whole host of favorable terms as quickly as possible to protect yourself, but as it stands, you find yourself negotiating with the beast. It introduces itself as Julslove, and helpfully points out that combat would likely go poorly for both sides, so it would be willing to allow you to simply return it from whence it came. It does, however, find the hatred you possess for your husband's killer to be quite delicious, and would much rather come to terms with you if possible.

After going back and forth, you come up with a few contracts that Julslove is willing to accept, although you could just send it back, or use binding to force it into taking a highly favorable deal of your choosing.

-Extended physical and emotional contact would allow the demon to feed on you regardless of your location relative to it, and as such Julslove would be willing to serve you unconditionally if you took it as a lover. You suppose your desire to protect and reclaim your children's inheritance would keep you motivated even if the demon was constantly feeding on your hatred for the prince, and his powers could also be used to keep Syzzik, Dublin, and any others interested in you pacified if they are hurt by the arrangement.

-You mention your skill as a potion brewer, including the fact that you can easily produce potions capable of influencing emotional states. This fascinates him, and he would agree to serve you if allowed to live openly among the residents of Groghall, as long as you ensure the mead is constantly spiked with mild potions of fear or wrath so as to allow him to farm the residents.

-Upon hearing about Glen Horton and the hatred he holds, he agrees to serve you for as long as you in turn make Glen serve him. You know Glen would despise serving as a meal for some demon... which would only serve to make his emotions all the sweeter to Julslove.

-He would be willing to serve you for four days a week if put in charge of the prison at Guard HQ for the other three; Torment is a great, but rather crude, way to bring out hate.

---

After the fishing is complete, you inform Dublin that you had fun, and ask how he might fare against stronger demons, such as a Blitzbeast or Realmanglar. He notes that those are rather specific types of demon, and asks what you have planned. You tell him about your scheme to invade a demon realm and ambush a couple greater demons who are likely to try and assassinate an ally of yours.

When you start mentioning names, his eyes light up. Yaugur is considered one of the inquisition's greatest heroes, and to fight alongside him would be a dream come true... but it is the thought of fighting Meniaop that really gets him exited. As a dangerous demon whose name frequently comes up in lore, the Blitzbeast would be one hell of a trophy. He then, dejectedly, mentions that he would be out of his depth, and that any human would be; A blitzbeast that powerful would be fast enough to slaghter several dozen humans in the time it would take him to perform a brief smiting incantation, and resilient enough that it would likely take several such hits for Dublin to disable it.

He finds the fact that you knew him well enough to extend the invitation touching, however, and proposes that the next date be a research session. He just received the latest edition of The Inquisitorial List of the Damned, which catolouges all beings known to the Priestly Order as active or potential threats to the Kingdom's peace. He suggests spending some time trying to find a particular demon that the two of you are capable of going after together... perhaps with Yaugur's help.

As he leaves the cave, he works up the courage to mention that if you wish to give romance a shot, that he knows of a quiet spot on the river overlooking a waterfall about an hour outside of town where the study session could take place.

You thank Dublin, and promise to consider the offer, but add that you are already planning a surprise for your next date. Yaas' perception hex can offer you a degree of protection from a Sucubus' charms, but it have an inquisitor around should ensure the demon remains on her best behavior.

---

Shaman Crank is invited to Groghall for dinner, which he thoroughly enjoys, and afterward you pull him aside for a private meeting. You explain the situation with Meniaop and Tetha as best you can, and ask if he thinks Meniaop can be brought in to serve as a go-between.

He considers the offer for a second before answering. "I know the demon of which you speak, and could set the ball in motion to get him in touch with you, but I think you might be even better off if you make your visit to the Chieftess first. She has plans involving divine politics, plans you are to be a part of, and I think controlling The Girl Foretold may be to our benefit in these plans. I wish I could tell you more, but she forbids me to discuss her goals on this side of the gate."

After meeting with Crank, you find Wenesday, and ask him to tail Greent. She promises to do her best, and leaves to gather her stuff for the mission.

Friday is also payday, and at long last Syzzik has whipped Peat's record-keeping into shape, so for the first time you know the exact amount you are getting. +8001 Silver for the week.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 13th Day:

Saturday

Saturday is the day you only teach potions. Arriving in class, you discover that Palm has already taught the students to make both healing and narcotic potions. You couldn't have taught them that in a single class, and wonder if Palm might actually have some teaching experience. She watches judgmentally as you try to lead your students through the process of brewing a potion to enhance physical strength. By the time class wraps up, most of them have got it down.

You return the old orc's glare on the way out the door. You might have gained some respect for her, but get the feeling she is rapidly losing what little she has for you.

Over lunch, you comfort Virgil again, and weave the ol' soul taking Hex onto him when you go in for a hug. Although the worst news has yet to hit, you convince your old friend to get back to work on the matter of the shrine, instructing him to ask your steward about the maps when he gets back from Dark Magic class.

After talking with Virgil, you head to another Mead Hall, where Clan Ivy is keeping your share of the orphans in the basement. Only three of the kids, including the mutt, look old enough to start in any sort of trade.

After a bit of small-talk softening the boy up, The half-breed explains that his father is a Minotaur, a rare breed of bull person from Titan Rock who does mercenary work in the Orc Jungles and had a one-off encounter with his now late mother, The Smith Joss' eldest daughter. Two years ago, his father purchased share in a company that mostly works in the south end of the jungle, and as such is based somewhere in goblin lands, so he rarely visits the Kingdom anymore. He notes he is an apprentice smith, as is his half-sister, one of the other older orphans.

---

Wednesday returns earlier than expected, as she picked up on some key dirt quickly. "Greent is in way deeper with those orcs than we thought. From what I've seen, he is in direct control of the operations of both Clans Fig and Scarab here in town. I picked that up just from tailing him - I guess Ivy doesn't tail kin, because I didn't see any of their spooks on him."

She flashes a grin, "But that isn't all. I broke into his room. He has a chest full of letters, and almost all of them are from his halfbreed bastards. He has about a dozen, and at least three are being raised here in town at the old customs building. There are also some letters from the High Shamans of both clans... Lots of high level discourse on divine magic and lore I didn't understand... but the takeaway is the kid is some sort of prodigy, and so are his offspring."

That would explain how he is controlling the Orcs, a highborn human with good genetics for divine casting is desirable enough. Add to that the promise that his offspring might someday be kin to the heir to Redleaf Duchy, and you can see why the Orcs want to get close to Greent.

This plants a nightmare scenario in your head. Greent is close to the leaders of Clan Scarab, who do business with the leaders of Axebeach, some of whom suspect your actual identity. Greent is also a loyal student and pawn of Chasity, who has proven on several occasions that she is not above weaponizing scandal to get people out of her way. One of the last people in town you'd want to find out about Axebeach is the person who is among the most likely to find out...

---

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 14th Day:

Sunday

Sunday is your first full and proper day off from teaching; Palm is running the potions class, and the Wights are dealing with your Dark Magic students. With class taken care of, you spend much of the day touring Joss' old holdings with Caddor. Clan Ivy left all the large furnishings, but took everything else that wasn't nailed down. Caddor's rough estimate is that it will take at least seventy thousand silver and two months to establish a proper smithy, and that is if he gets lucky and finds enough skilled professionals in town. He would be more than happy to take on the job, however, as he has little better to do now that Dean no longer requires regular torment.

You then turn your thoughts to your options in terms of enchanting. Although you don't practice the art, you posses a solid understanding of the theory behind it, and know that the biggest obstacle will be to acquire a power source to enchant with. Souls and Divine Magic are the two most viable options. Legally, only members of the High Masons may use divine magic to enchant, and only members of the Valkyrie may collect souls (which must in turn be handed over to the High Masons). Although you doubt you can find that many idle priests, especially while in some sort of state of strife against the crown, if you are not afraid of flaunting your law breaking, there are plenty of unscrupulous soul collecting enchanters to go around, and the same can be said for orcish and deep deities who support their divine casters through the craft of artifact creation.

Less commonly used, but still viable, means of powering enchantment include tapping the river with an Enchanter's Wheel, the sort of complicated construction you are sure Virgil would love to help you build, and capturing or importing a steady stream of magical beasts or demons to drain of their energy. Harnessing lightning is also possible, but somewhat undependable unless you intend to keep a dozen or so air elementalists on your payroll. Of course the best power source for enchanters is a live volcano, but no such thing exists in Redleaf Duchy; The nearest one, Mt. Hellstorm, sits where the Ironheart Mountains meets the southern coast, deep in goblin country.

Power source aside, the techniques and tools used to perform enchantment varies greatly between those who practice the art. It might be wise to select one of the many enchanters you know for the job, and ask them what they would require to run a large scale operation.

Returning home from your exploration, you bump into Virgil again, who has just wrapped up his survey of the maps, which he managed to get Dreamer to give him without tipping the half breed, and consequently Can Half-Moon, off to the existence of the Lost Shrine.

Of the four main entrances, two seem inaccessible, located underneath sturdy orcish buildings constructed since the city was split, the other two, however might still be usable.

One is located in the old Underdark Duggout, a long and wide tunnel used as a marketplace by the deep races during the cities' heyday. The Duggout is now the home of Clan Tunnel, one of the larger and more aggressive ruins clans. There is no way Clan Tunnel would not demand a cut of the Shrine Loot, but they are closely affiliated with both Clan Spear and the Kinkaids, so it might be possible to use your allies and broker a favorable deal.

The other entrance is located in Dead Leper's Cave, an often flooded former dark mage's hideout on the south bank of the river, now home to many feral zombies, a handful of particularly nasty sentient undead orcs, and the thirty foot long semi-demonic alligators that they breed. The Ruins Clans, and some clanless orcs in town, use it as a place to dispose of defective infants and the otherwise infirm. As it is not within the Kingom's limits, the inquisition has ignored it for so long that you are sure cleaning it out would be a huge job, especially as most of the Ruins Clans consider it sacred ground, and may attack interlopers trying to gain access.

Both entrances are metal staircases with false bottoms, that can be opened with a prayer to whichever god the Shrine is actually for. Getting in is a matter of putting somebody with a head for the lore of the Orcish Pantheon on the stairs, and having them pray to gods living and dead until the correct one is guessed. 

When you retire to your room for the night, you receive quite the shock. A middle aged commoner woman is lying on your bed, wearing the sapphire studded undergarments Sylvester got you for your 40th birthday. You hadn't brought them with you when you left your husband for the last time, meaning the one of a kind article of clothing should still be locked up at Cleanriver Castle.

The intruder offers a confident smile, and introduces herself as Zeph's sister. "I was told we had business to discuss, m'lady. My husband and I are interested, assuming you can meet our terms and conditions. Our price is simple; We have amassed vast wealth, and simply want what money cannot buy for our children."

She casually rolls herself up in your blankets before continuing. "My three youngest, two boys and a girl, shall each receive the proper titles, names, and acknowledgement of nobility, as well as their pick of spouses from among those captured counts and barons disloyal to your cause and their children."

"My eldest daughter," she continues, "obsesses herself with the unholy, and wishes to bear the offspring of mighty demons. For as long as she wishes, are to look after her, teach her the dark arts, and help arrange the encounters required to create the children she desires. If one of the children turns out to be passable for a full blooded mortal, it is to be declared and treated as nobility."

"My terms are non-negotiable," she concludes, putting her feet upon the baseboard of your bed. "If you agree, my husband and I will move into town, and at least one of us will be at your disposal at all times. We will also invest five million silver in your cause to start, and may contribute more money should it seem like your cause is a winning one."

Alright. I will have some time tomorrow. Just give me suggestions for a full turn, and I'll see what I can do.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 06, 2016, 01:35:51 pm »

I've opened a new section in the spreadsheet named Character Information, to be filled with what we know of assorted people around. Ideally, we would order it alphabetically or something. But it is going to be a loooong task. The rest of the informaiton has been updated. I thank the GM for pointing us what do we have to add to the sheet, I like the idea.

Axebeach

Okay, this got out of hand quickly. We can either bluff like hell to get out of this, or just say fuck it and resign. I'd rather try to first one, and see if it works or not. Probably by bringing Dublin to the sanctuary with us they won't think of us as a Bonedust. Hmmm.

How about this lie (I'm not being totally serious here):

We are distant relative of the Bonedusts, but not officially recognized as a part of that family. We are a friend of Maeris, and actually we were recommended by her to take this position to Haggen.

Now, this is the huuuuuuuge bomb: in this lie, Dublin is our husband.

Jokes aside, we may want to inform Haggen that our identity has been compromised and that we haven't decided to rebel against the Crown just yet. We can hold the title a little longer, but not for more than a couple months at best. We greatly appreciate his help, and inform him that he can call back his "mercenaries" if he desires, but that we found Axebeach to be really interesting and that we will consider doing business with them in the future.

Fishing

Make Ovinsail and Nragelth appraise the Unknown augmented material.
Make Ovinsail appraise the worm (we don't intend to sell it, I just want to know how much it would be worth).

Have a meeting with Crank and explain about our new worm: have him gather a young and healthy female orc to be the host. The deal with Clan Ivy is as follows:
They get all the mortal blooded orcs.
We get all the worms
We share the demonspawn by 50%.

With Julslove, let him hang around and have a chat with us while feeding off our hatred. It is good for us to relax. Do idle conversation, ask about how the business is doing, maybe ask about if he wants some competition removed, we may even want to help him with that, as long as it benefits us.

But after that, send him back, all the options imply either pissing off Dublin or Syzzik, or making him highly visible, and I don't like that. Take his hex if we can safely do that so that we can contact him later, we may want to use him with Virgil and his future sadness.

EDIT: the only way I would accept him in Groghall would be if he would be kept under the rug for Virgil, Glen, and those who would find it distasteful to have a demon running around. This means that he would have to stay in the basement when they are nearby.

Dublin

I don't want another lover, but he will still likely stick around. He will get friendzoned, but friendzoned with the best friend he could get.

I'm thinking about making him gain influence with the local inquisitors, so that he may eventually have his own squad of demon hunters to go with us. We have to make him end with the werelemur infestation, whihc means killing that useless and pwoer hungry Shaman Pork.

Oh, and we have Hegathga's hex to prevent Sex drive, should the need arise with the succubus. Or Mogolovia, for Seduction.

Caddor and the Orphans

Have Caddor start with the smithing thing. Even if don't have all the money now, he is likely to start with something. The two appreantice orphans should help him.

With the others, I guess that they can help us with the potions.

(I really don't know what to do about the children)

The famous thieves

My biggest concern is getting the nobles to marry their children. Because we have in mind execution, or, in the case of the Marlowes, they don't even have descendants. But with minor barons we could suffice.

About the eldest daughter, I think that we just got Dean a girlfriend, and I'm tempted to take her in even for free.

Another concern is that I don't know what to do with the money. I really don't.

EDIT:

And we need to meet with Chieftess Ivy soon, to get any idea of what we are getting into.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 06, 2016, 09:37:42 pm »

Yes, introduce Dean to the eldest daughter, if he does not like her we can always go with the tentacle impregnation demons as a backup.

For the extra gold, we need to fund mercenaries and orcish armies, but setting up an enchanting smithy might be a worthwhile investment also.  We could even set up one of their children as the operator if they have a business minded son or daughter.  Caddor should get the business running through, he seems good at setting such things up.

Tell her that she will get first pick of the sons and daughters of those we execute or imprison.

I say we go all in with pulling Greent into a meeting with his father and breaking down what we know about him and our daughter.  We really need to drive it into his head that she was not the one behind this whole mess, for a variety of reasons, and that she will be murdered by the bastard, honorless, backstabbing prince as soon as his claim is secure.  The only way to save her is by deposing her.

Then admit to the Axebeach thing but bring up this reason: the bosses can chose their heir, and we will put her as the new boss.  She is ambitious and skilled enough to turn Axebeach into a real power and she will be beyond the reach of her enemies in the kingdom.  He will come to her not from a position merely as a possible lover, but a strong ally who helped save her and got her a position of power.

My breakdown argument for why Charity did not orchestrate this (whether true or not): She would already have been the heir (no one else wanted it), she was working behind the scenes to make her transition a smooth one (staging this coup destabilized what would have been a nice peaceful transition), her allies are being removed from positions of power, the way her father was killed calls into question her own right to the title (while we were faithful, knowing her father had a male lover might make some wonder if we were), she is now in the hands of a bloodthirsty black sheep of the kingdom.  True or not, we can probably convince him that any messages he receives from her are forced and that she is little more then a prisoner now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2016, 10:02:13 pm »

I've opened a new section in the spreadsheet named Character Information, to be filled with what we know of assorted people around. Ideally, we would order it alphabetically or something. But it is going to be a loooong task. The rest of the informaiton has been updated. I thank the GM for pointing us what do we have to add to the sheet, I like the idea.
I'll take a look at this later, bit busy at the moment. Bear in mind that arranging them by faction/race/relation/talents might be more useful, but there's multiple ways to do that and a lot of them are somewhat mutually exclusive. Redding is technically kin and mostly on our side, but his family is just sort of reluctantly allied and his son is secretly scheming against us, for instance, which makes for awkward breaks somewhere or another.

Axebeach

Okay, this got out of hand quickly. We can either bluff like hell to get out of this, or just say fuck it and resign. I'd rather try to first one, and see if it works or not. Probably by bringing Dublin to the sanctuary with us they won't think of us as a Bonedust. Hmmm.

How about this lie (I'm not being totally serious here):

We are distant relative of the Bonedusts, but not officially recognized as a part of that family. We are a friend of Maeris, and actually we were recommended by her to take this position to Haggen.

Now, this is the huuuuuuuge bomb: in this lie, Dublin is our husband.

Jokes aside, we may want to inform Haggen that our identity has been compromised and that we haven't decided to rebel against the Crown just yet. We can hold the title a little longer, but not for more than a couple months at best. We greatly appreciate his help, and inform him that he can call back his "mercenaries" if he desires, but that we found Axebeach to be really interesting and that we will consider doing business with them in the future.
For Axebeach's residents themselves, I say we noncommittally mention that we'd rather remain anonymous for now and leave it at that. A pair of good guesses is still far from certainty.

For Greent... harder to say. Technically we have complete deniability, since he can't prove anything; he has the guesses of an Orcish Underboss about the true identity of who's giving his succubus orders and that's it. I would really like to find a way to bring him in and/or coerce him into position at some point, though.

We should have a talk with Redding about Greent, and anything we might be able to do to convince him to side with us properly. We might want to have a talk with Greent while we're at it, to see if we can figure out what he wants (or what he's willing to tell us he wants) and if there's any way we can maneuver him into thinking siding with us will get him it. We know he wants to rule the Duchy with Chasity, but that's not seeming likely unless we go whole hog against the crown. Which is possible but not great to plan on.

I want to keep Axebeach, though. Nobody can prove anything at the moment, and we have options for bailing out one way or another if they do; we could, for instance, flee to our new holdings to let Redding and Joy pretend they had no idea what a scheming vengeance-crazed traitor we were (technically it's even true!), and continue the resistance officially while we went all goblin guerilla on the prince.

Speaking of which, let's go meet with the succubus now. We'll hex ourselves up to avoid the obvious, bring an inquisitor along for added protection (but keep him out of earshot for the actual neogiations/getting to know us part), and then let him hit on her and see what happens. Oh, and letting her know that she's our second in command already and so doesn't need to seduce us should help also. Letting her know our identity (or be in a position to look it up easily) is kind of unavoidable; so long as she knows we'd rather it remain secret it should be fine.

Fishing

Make Ovinsail and Nragelth appraise the Unknown augmented material.
Make Ovinsail appraise the worm (we don't intend to sell it, I just want to know how much it would be worth).

Have a meeting with Crank and explain about our new worm: have him gather a young and healthy female orc to be the host. The deal with Clan Ivy is as follows:
They get all the mortal blooded orcs.
We get all the worms
We share the demonspawn by 50%.

With Julslove, let him hang around and have a chat with us while feeding off our hatred. It is good for us to relax. Do idle conversation, ask about how the business is doing, maybe ask about if he wants some competition removed, we may even want to help him with that, as long as it benefits us.

But after that, send him back, all the options imply either pissing off Dublin or Syzzik, or making him highly visible, and I don't like that. Take his hex if we can safely do that so that we can contact him later, we may want to use him with Virgil and his future sadness.

EDIT: the only way I would accept him in Groghall would be if he would be kept under the rug for Virgil, Glen, and those who would find it distasteful to have a demon running around. This means that he would have to stay in the basement when they are nearby.
Appraisal sounds good.

I like setting up an Ivy Orc as a worm breeder, but bear in mind the gems or glass might be expensive to feed it with. I mean, yeah, we have a windfall right here, but it might want more. Though admittedly, we are now fabulously wealthy and so can probably afford kind of a lot of glasswork or whatever.

Speaking of which, we should use the switchboard gem to see who or what this thing was in contact with. Snakeyes or Finch might be "very skilled enchanters" if we wanted to try to get intel on them first, but I doubt that'd be terribly necessary.

The temptation to ship feed Glen to the hate demon is strong, but I think we want Glen to get better, not involve him in an abusive relationship. The Orcs of Groghall would absolutely love not only having but being cattle for one, so I'd like to keep him around. Virgil shouldn't be too upset by him, and Glen was warming up to hate-orcs, but the demon probably wouldn't mind keeping himself relatively scarce if it bothered either. I don't think fully hiding his existence is feasible or necessary, though.

Dublin

I don't want another lover, but he will still likely stick around. He will get friendzoned, but friendzoned with the best friend he could get.

I'm thinking about making him gain influence with the local inquisitors, so that he may eventually have his own squad of demon hunters to go with us. We have to make him end with the werelemur infestation, whihc means killing that useless and pwoer hungry Shaman Pork.

Oh, and we have Hegathga's hex to prevent Sex drive, should the need arise with the succubus. Or Mogolovia, for Seduction.
I can kind of go with the friendzoning. We should take him up on his offer to hunt something, and bring Angie Pence along as well.

Not sure how we'd improve his standing among the inquisitors, though. Pork also must be doing something right if he's been able to dodge inquisitors this long.

Caddor and the Orphans

Have Caddor start with the smithing thing. Even if don't have all the money now, he is likely to start with something. The two appreantice orphans should help him.

With the others, I guess that they can help us with the potions.

(I really don't know what to do about the children)
Yeah, let's get the smithy up. We'll have plenty of money for it within the two months it'll take to get started, if we don't already have it from the thieves.

Let's bounce the orphans around our various classes, enterprises, and contacts until they hit something they like and/or are good at. Including the apprentice smiths, just to see if they're smiths because they're good at it or because it was the family trade.

If we want to do something with the younger orphans, we can give them to Clan Ivy or Mackie and her daughters. Ivy will make them proper Ivy Orcs that happen to be human, Mackie and her daughters probably aren't so busy they can't look after a few small children.

The famous thieves

My biggest concern is getting the nobles to marry their children. Because we have in mind execution, or, in the case of the Marlowes, they don't even have descendants. But with minor barons we could suffice.

About the eldest daughter, I think that we just got Dean a girlfriend, and I'm tempted to take her in even for free.

Another concern is that I don't know what to do with the money. I really don't.
I like her offer. We could use an excuse to savagely murder fewer people anyway.

Eeeeee, Dean x Eldest Thiefspawn would be perfect. She might want to shop around, though, which is I guess another good reason to keep that rage demon around.

Money is good to have around. There are always investments to be made and products or services to be purchased. For instance, I think you were mentioning reviving Foot's clan as a Tetha cult, which costs money. It's nice to have enough of that around to know it's an option.

And we need to meet with Chieftess Ivy soon, to get any idea of what we are getting into.
We really do. The problem is that we need everything more or less stable here before we go, since we'll be staying for at least a week. Classes aren't too hard to skip out of, especially since Palm's a good teacher (as well as whatever variety of cliche villain her hexes allow her to be) and the dark mages are just sort of experimenting until they get lucky.

Greent will of course jump at the chance to get us out of the picture for a week, so ideally we'd have something in place to keep him from making any moves while that happens. At a worst case, I suppose we could bring Greent with us, reasoning that we want Joy's family but Redding is needed here running things for us. Might also scare him straight knowing just how in we are with just what, or give him more dirt to use against us. More mildly, Redding might be able to blunt his ambitions just by being here, and optimistically we could just leave and assume he won't do anything major.

We really can't leave until Virgil's received his news. And ideally not for a few days afterwards. So... that pushes us back a bit. I'd like to do something a little more permanent, but short of getting him some new friends/family/pets I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe working more on the vault could help.

On that note, do we want to bargain with Clan Tunnel or try to wade through Dead Leper's Cave? We also know an earth elementalist, if we want to test the limits of the term "inaccessible" regarding sturdy buildings. I'd like to look into that first, and then unless we can avoid angering the Ruins Clans getting to the cave and then negotiate passage with the unpleasant orcish undead inside, I'm leaning towards getting Kinkaid aid regarding Clan Tunnel.

Otherwise, I think it's just working out who we want to take with. Might as well start asking around on that point.

Then admit to the Axebeach thing but bring up this reason: the bosses can chose their heir, and we will put her as the new boss.  She is ambitious and skilled enough to turn Axebeach into a real power and she will be beyond the reach of her enemies in the kingdom.  He will come to her not from a position merely as a possible lover, but a strong ally who helped save her and got her a position of power.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Haggen gets to choose our successor. I don't think we need to explain anything to Axebeach, in any case; the problem is if the human kingdoms get word that we're a filthy goblin sympathizer. I mean, a really really official goblin sympathizer.

I say we go all in with pulling Greent into a meeting with his father and breaking down what we know about him and our daughter.  We really need to drive it into his head that she was not the one behind this whole mess, for a variety of reasons, and that she will be murdered by the bastard, honorless, backstabbing prince as soon as his claim is secure.  The only way to save her is by deposing her.

My breakdown argument for why Charity did not orchestrate this (whether true or not): She would already have been the heir (no one else wanted it), she was working behind the scenes to make her transition a smooth one (staging this coup destabilized what would have been a nice peaceful transition), her allies are being removed from positions of power, the way her father was killed calls into question her own right to the title (while we were faithful, knowing her father had a male lover might make some wonder if we were), she is now in the hands of a bloodthirsty black sheep of the kingdom.  True or not, we can probably convince him that any messages he receives from her are forced and that she is little more then a prisoner now.
I don't like tipping our hand so early, but I agree that we should start examining all possibilities. Bear in mind that this would let him know his own father sold him out, which would cut off another avenue of intel and influence on him.

That's actually a pretty good analysis, both for Greent and in likelihood. I figured "she was scheming but things got out of hand" was likely, but you're right that even a clean transition using Rubicon would have been kind of messy.

The other main issue I have is that Greent will be loosely "on our side" on finding out Chasity is in trouble anyway; the issue is what we do in the meantime, after he decides he doesn't need us any more, and if Chasity's in a better position than we thought. This sort of handles the meantime thing if it works, but is only partially effective against finding out otherwise (he's in love, not dumb) and does mostly nothing for the stab us in the back afterwards bit.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2016, 07:13:12 am »

I'll take a look at this later, bit busy at the moment. Bear in mind that arranging them by faction/race/relation/talents might be more useful, but there's multiple ways to do that and a lot of them are somewhat mutually exclusive. Redding is technically kin and mostly on our side, but his family is just sort of reluctantly allied and his son is secretly scheming against us, for instance, which makes for awkward breaks somewhere or another.
I'd rather use more objective things. But feel free to do what you want with that.

Axebeach
For Axebeach's residents themselves, I say we noncommittally mention that we'd rather remain anonymous for now and leave it at that. A pair of good guesses is still far from certainty.

For Greent... harder to say. Technically we have complete deniability, since he can't prove anything; he has the guesses of an Orcish Underboss about the true identity of who's giving his succubus orders and that's it. I would really like to find a way to bring him in and/or coerce him into position at some point, though.

So, we deny everything, and act as if nothing has happened. Okay.

We should have a talk with Redding about Greent, and anything we might be able to do to convince him to side with us properly. We might want to have a talk with Greent while we're at it, to see if we can figure out what he wants (or what he's willing to tell us he wants) and if there's any way we can maneuver him into thinking siding with us will get him it. We know he wants to rule the Duchy with Chasity, but that's not seeming likely unless we go whole hog against the crown. Which is possible but not great to plan on.
He is too prone to getting angry, and he is kinda hellbent on ruling the Duchy with Chastity. I'd rather just stay like we are for now.

Speaking of which, let's go meet with the succubus now. We'll hex ourselves up to avoid the obvious, bring an inquisitor along for added protection (but keep him out of earshot for the actual neogiations/getting to know us part), and then let him hit on her and see what happens. Oh, and letting her know that she's our second in command already and so doesn't need to seduce us should help also. Letting her know our identity (or be in a position to look it up easily) is kind of unavoidable; so long as she knows we'd rather it remain secret it should be fine.

+1 to this

I like setting up an Ivy Orc as a worm breeder, but bear in mind the gems or glass might be expensive to feed it with. I mean, yeah, we have a windfall right here, but it might want more. Though admittedly, we are now fabulously wealthy and so can probably afford kind of a lot of glasswork or whatever.
Or the Ivys can feed her too! They may be willing to do so!

Speaking of which, we should use the switchboard gem to see who or what this thing was in contact with. Snakeyes or Finch might be "very skilled enchanters" if we wanted to try to get intel on them first, but I doubt that'd be terribly necessary.
I'd go with Finch, though. He is our apprentice.

The temptation to ship feed Glen to the hate demon is strong, but I think we want Glen to get better, not involve him in an abusive relationship. The Orcs of Groghall would absolutely love not only having but being cattle for one, so I'd like to keep him around. Virgil shouldn't be too upset by him, and Glen was warming up to hate-orcs, but the demon probably wouldn't mind keeping himself relatively scarce if it bothered either. I don't think fully hiding his existence is feasible or necessary, though.

Okay, then we go for option "Live in Groghall, and we make everyone angry for you" with the clause "Don't mess with the humans too much".

I can kind of go with the friendzoning. We should take him up on his offer to hunt something, and bring Angie Pence along as well.

And maybe pair those two.

Not sure how we'd improve his standing among the inquisitors, though. Pork also must be doing something right if he's been able to dodge inquisitors this long.

Yeah, but he doesn't pay us tribute, and basically desires power. I say we just kill him. We can use the watcher to set up an ambush for Dublin. There is a whole fort of inquisitors looking for Pork, so his standing will likely increase with almost 15 people.

Let's bounce the orphans around our various classes, enterprises, and contacts until they hit something they like and/or are good at. Including the apprentice smiths, just to see if they're smiths because they're good at it or because it was the family trade.

+1

If we want to do something with the younger orphans, we can give them to Clan Ivy or Mackie and her daughters. Ivy will make them proper Ivy Orcs that happen to be human, Mackie and her daughters probably aren't so busy they can't look after a few small children.

I support giving them to Mackie if everything fails.

The famous thieves
I like her offer. We could use an excuse to savagely murder fewer people anyway.

So, we agree, I guess?

Greent will of course jump at the chance to get us out of the picture for a week, so ideally we'd have something in place to keep him from making any moves while that happens. At a worst case, I suppose we could bring Greent with us, reasoning that we want Joy's family but Redding is needed here running things for us. Might also scare him straight knowing just how in we are with just what, or give him more dirt to use against us. More mildly, Redding might be able to blunt his ambitions just by being here, and optimistically we could just leave and assume he won't do anything major.

Not if his father is looking at him.

We really can't leave until Virgil's received his news. And ideally not for a few days afterwards. So... that pushes us back a bit. I'd like to do something a little more permanent, but short of getting him some new friends/family/pets I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe working more on the vault could help.

We can always intercept the messenger, or just tell Redding to do that while we are away. Also, maybe he can make friends with Mason Greenplanes.

Also, we can tell Redding to let Julslove have a long chat with him until Virgil calms down. We can also propose the Enchanter's wheel project and keep him busy with that.

On that note, do we want to bargain with Clan Tunnel or try to wade through Dead Leper's Cave?

While I'd totaly want to clear a whole dungeon, the safest bet here is to negotiate with the Tunnels.

Otherwise, I think it's just working out who we want to take with. Might as well start asking around on that point.

So:
Joy, Fortune, Dean, Rugath and some guards maybe. Redding stays to run everything, Wednesday stays to tail Redding and his son, and Mason stays to make friends with Virgil.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Haggen gets to choose our successor. I don't think we need to explain anything to Axebeach, in any case; the problem is if the human kingdoms get word that we're a filthy goblin sympathizer. I mean, a really really official goblin sympathizer.

There couldn't be anything worse to do than to put the scheming viper in the land of slave-controlling scheming vipers.

I don't like tipping our hand so early, but I agree that we should start examining all possibilities. Bear in mind that this would let him know his own father sold him out, which would cut off another avenue of intel and influence on him.

My biggest concern about talking to Greent. Not now, maybe if we earn more trust from him.

The other main issue I have is that Greent will be loosely "on our side" on finding out Chasity is in trouble anyway; the issue is what we do in the meantime, after he decides he doesn't need us any more, and if Chasity's in a better position than we thought. This sort of handles the meantime thing if it works, but is only partially effective against finding out otherwise (he's in love, not dumb) and does mostly nothing for the stab us in the back afterwards bit.
He has 2k troops, we have the whole rest. He needs us. We should just prevent him from doing anything stupid in the meantime.

By the way, I supose that we are travelling to Chieftess Ivy via summoning circle, right?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2016, 08:56:57 am »

(Ninja'd be Tomcost's second post. Ah well. Also didn't have enough time to get to the Switchboard, so as usual make sure to re-post that suggestion if you want me to get to it)

Friday

Unsure about what to do with Julslove, you decide to engauge the demon in conversation, allowing it to feed and helping you to unwind for awhile longer. The Serene Guardian seems to enjoy the idle chitchat, and you learn a bit about him.

Julslove was created by the Drow nineteen hundred years ago, who tasked him with overseeing the slave pens in one of their larger subterranean cities at the time. After two hundred years of this, the city he worked in fell, and Julslove escaped with a handful of stronger slaves, whom he used to sire halfbreed offspring. After a few generations, Julslove purchased a seaworthy craft, staffed it with a crew of demon-blooded descendants, and for the next few centuries made a decent living launching slave raids against the primitives of Titan Rock on behalf of the Goblins.

After a close scrape with the human inquisition, Julslove decided to abandon the mortal realm, becoming minion to a demon who was the vassal of the Lord Mayor of Lagoona. As part of this deal, his surviving children were allowed to marry into the cities leadership, which makes him a distant ancestor to many members of Titan Rock's upper class.

Four hundred years ago, the demon he served was struck down, leaving Julslove free to wander the demonic realms as he pleases. He now makes a living performing odd-jobs, often babysitting mortal prisoners for other demons, or contracting himself out to mortal pirates and slavers. He also sheepishly admits that he has become quite good at seeking out Dark Mages who are fishing, baiting them into thinking he is weak enough to handle, and killing or extorting them for their resources once they reel him in.

His current free-wheeling lifestyle leaves him with no competition that you might take care of, but there are a few ways you could help him. Right now he is having issues with a Sleetlrog, a combat specialist greater demon attuned to ice and cold, named Yetetephin, who keeps shaking him down for pre-digested emotional energy and souls. He would be willing to try and help you bind the demon if you would keep it away from him.

He is also considering starting a business to house, train, and sell live mortal slaves. To get started he would need a good sized swath of territory in a realm conducive to human life, and greater demon minions willing to work for cheap or free until he gets established. Ideally he would like both a combat oriented enforcer, and a demon skilled at teaching useful skills through soul modification, but could likely get started with just one or the other. He is not interested in taking Yetetephin as an enforcer, as he can't stand the Sleetlrog. Julslove offers to pay for your help in store credit or generous prices once he gets set up, and would consider becoming your vassal if you prove both interested and strong enough to protect him.

Unsure of what to do with him, you decide to send Julslove back for now. Before he leaves, he helps you weave his hex onto your soul, and informs you that his offers to serve you still stand; Your hate is borderline intoxicating to him, and he could stand to spend a decade or two on mortal soil.

+Weak Self-Inflicted hex of Julslove, associated with Air Elementalism, Freelance Work, Serenity, and Sailing

---

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 14th Day:

Sunday

You like the thief's offer, so you accept. You are unsure exactly what you can do with five million, but are quite positive that you can figure something out.

With business complete, the thief gives you a briefing. Her name is Cal, and her husband is an elf named Mildtounge. Their divine magic allows them access to almost any building in the Duchy, but their diety demands a strict code of conduct. The may not kill or kidnap, nor may they directly aid others in performing such actions, so they may spy or steal for you, but they cannot assassinate nobles or open up gates for your troops.

In anticipation of this meeting, she broke into Cleanriver Castle to snoop around, and in doing so learned much of the Prince's plan.

Rubricon is expecting reinforcements from two hosts of troops from the crown, each set to dispose of the leadership of one of the northern counties loyal to him, and place control of that county in the hands of the host's leader. Clarence Rothwell has already received Gulf County, while Jasper and Silvera Marlowe will get King's Road. The crown has also provided money to recruit two mercenary hosts, one of which is to be recruited at the ports of Tradewind Duchy and lead by Clarence's son Jordan Rothwell, and the other is to be recruited in the deep lands of the drow and lead by Naomi Tether, the King's sister-in-law who is a high ranking member of the Steel Sisterhood.

Cal says the prince is still undecided on weather or not he wishes to keep Silver and Port Counties under their current leadership, or use the mercenaries to overthrow them at an opportune moment. Once the Prince feels fully in control of the Northern and Central counties, he intends to task the elder Marlowes with flushing the rebellion out of Southjungle and Roe River.

She tells you that Chasity is kept locked in her room, and guarded 24/7. To keep the younger Marlowes under control, the prince is threatening to feed her a fertility potion, let his mercenaries have their way with your daughter for a night, and then executing her for 'disloyalty' once the inhuman baby is born.

You digest the information. None of it is good news. Jasper may be an ancient cripple, but he could easily be the most dangerous enemy you have made so far. If anybody stands a chance at dislodging the Kinkaids from Roe River County, it is him. To make matters worse, he is beloved and respected by pretty much everybody in the Duchy; Barons and even common soldiers hesitant to fight for the prince might be much more willing to serve Jasper Marlowe. Although untested, it is commonly believed that his Wife Silvera, who has also more or less been Jasper's student for her entire married life, is an awesome military officer herself, and she is still young enough to lead troops.

You now know that Horace Marlowe is not fighting for the prince because he wants to, but doubt that information is of much use to you. The Kinkaids want control of Silver County for themselves, so unless you can convince him to give up his land and title, it is unlikely that you could make him part of the same alliance as Phineas and Charlie. The obvious solution, getting him to marry a Kinkaid, may be off the table as well, because Horace is a close blood relative and you could see either party objecting to such an incestuous union.

Cal informs you that she will leave the silver in the basement of Zeph's busniess, and that you can pick it up or arrange transfer for it as you please.

+5m Silver

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 15th Day:

Monday

Over breakfast, you ask Virgil about the personnel that may be required to survey the shrine. Ideally Count Gulf would like to gather a team of Forensic Masons, the suborder within his priesthood that specializes in such ruins, but acknowledges that might be difficult under the present circumstances.

Failing that, he could set out and cobble together a team of Enchanters, High Masons, and Earth Mages to take on the job, but to assemble such a group while limited to only the land you presently control would take him some time. He also suggests that the Kinkaids and any of the mighty clans would have the resources, and likely the motivation, to organize the project. He mentions that he would be willing to help you pitch the expedition to any relevant party, and this gives you an idea...

You are quite sure that Virgil would not object to any of your more sinister plans; Like most Gulfs he does a very good job at hiding it, but still begrudges the present royal family for expelling his ancestors from power centuries ago, on top of that he is easily your closest friend in town who isn't a relative by blood or marriage. You could take him to visit Chieftess Ivy with you, to either blunt the bad news, or delay his learning of it.

After your talk with Virgil, you quietly talk with Caddor, giving him the green light to set up the smithy, and telling him about your recent windfall of silver. You then approach two of the enchanters you have access to, and ask them about taking the job.

Neither seems terribly interested; Finch doesn't think he'll have time to run a business while he is learning dark magic, and Snakeyes would rather not debase herself by openly practicing enchantment without a High Mason. You get the feeling, however, that either could be convinced to take on the role if you applied enough pressure.

You talk to Dean about helping Cal's daughter sire demonic offspring, and he reminds you that he didn't claim the reproductive systems of the demons he absorbed; Dean's children will be normal humans. While you are on the topic, however, he confesses that he has been both tutoring and courting your student Fairweather Kinkaid. He asks if you could provide her with a few bottles of barren womb brew, as he hopes to groom her to be a manifestation, but wouldn't be willing to apply the required torture if she happened to be carrying his child.

You tell him that you will consider his request, but have been thinking about asking him to sire a few bastards anyway, which could be acknowledged as heirs to Redleaf Duchy should something happen to Joy. Dean then informs you that he has a couple other crushes in town, but until he learns to suppress his freakish appearance, he wouldn't be willing to approach them on his own. The main target of his affection is a lowborn woman named Vickie, who serves as one of the nice looking 'guards' at Gregory Rothwell's office. He is also somewhat interested in a Half-Dwarf named Uraina who is the carriage driver and bastard daughter of your student Finch.

There are also a few options a bit further away from town. He has only met her a few times, and would feel a bit weird about both the incest involved and the oedipal implications brought about by her name, but Dean admits that Maeris Bonedust, your twin-sister's daughter, is the most beautiful girl he has ever laid eyes upon. He concludes his list of dream lovers with your friend Miri Horton; If only you had known that before you told Archibald to take care of her!

Chieftain Foot meets you for lunch, and you bring up the idea of sponsoring his clan if he agrees to push the worship of Tetha, one of Hammerhead's harem. Foot considers it, before telling you that although he would be willing to tinker with Clan theology for the money required to rebuild, he doesn't know enough about the goddess to feel comfortable teaching her religion to others. The only priests of Tetha in town that he knows of are tied to Clan Ivy, and he doesn't want to piss them off by trying to poach their talent.

The topic of Joy's pregnancy also comes up, and Foot expresses interest in adopting the child into his clan if nobody else wants it. If you were to become his kin through adoption, that would supersede your role as his student, and allow him to take charity from you.

After Lunch you track down your Son-in-Law, tell him what you learned from the Jade Lady Housebreakers, and ask how he thinks Greent might react to that information.

"...Might make him do something rash. Trevor is like a second father to Greent, and my son kicked the stuffing out of him over an indirect insult to Chasity. I think thats the best way to get a Strongcurrent to do something stupid: wrong our friends and family."

You are still unsure weather you should tell Redding about Greent's kids, or if you should approach your Step-Grandson directly with what you have learned.

A late-afternoon visit is paid to High Shaman Crank, to whom you propose turning a Clan Ivy orc into a demonic worm birthing factory. The clan would keep the pureblood orcs, you would keep the demons, and the halfbreeds would be split. Crank, however, is more interested in trying to talk you into a suicide pact and espousing the sacred virtues of bloodshed. Eventually Confessor Rash gets fed up, hauls her nutty boss to his bedroom, and returns to continue the discussion herself.

"Your terms are acceptable, and I would gladly help you find a suitable breeder, but I know the Scourge Tonsil considers himself particularly close kin to you. The polite thing to do would be to offer the honor to his daughters first. Perhaps you could make peace between them by giving it to whichever is willing to renounce her claim to Tonsil's armor. That would be the honorable thing to do."

The confessor then grins and abruptly grabs you by the wrist, digging in a bit with her sharp claws. "Of course the pragmatic approach would be for me to hook you up with a nice War Ogre. They are bigger than normal orcs, and already have quite a bit of demon ancestry. Selecting such a creature to host the worm would produce more offspring, of whom fewer, if any, will turn out completely mortal. If such an arrangement is made, the clan will require what we lose in regular orcs to be made up for in mixed breeds."

---

After dinner, you head to the cave and first contact Ovinsail to get some appraisals. He offers to buy the lot of Ceramic Material for six souls, and the worm for two. You mention breeding the worms, and he tells you he would only pay a single soul for newborns, but if given a regular supply, he might be able to find a dependable buyer, which would allow him to offer you a higher price.

Nragelth only offers two souls for the material, noting that she usually sells stolen finished goods and not legitimately purchased raw material.

Dublin arrives, and you inform him that the two of you shall be taking a short trip via summoning circle, but that first you must prep him with a few hexes. You hex both yourself and your date in the names of Yaas, Hegathga, and Mogolovia, hoping to attack the charms of the succubus from several angles at once. Dublin also gets a curse from Tivavarav, that will cause him to quickly forget any details of the conversations you might have with the demons.

Don't bother listing these curses. Unless you guys have reason to say otherwise, they are temporary and will be undone after the meeting.
Dublin is ecstatic when you invite him into the circle, and even more amazed when he finds himself standing in Niechbaux's well decorated and dimly lit inner sanctum. Like most greater demons, Niechbaux doesn't keep his own summoning circle, so the only way out for you is to retrace your own steps back to the circle you used to arrive. You instruct your date to keep quiet, look intimidating, and be ready to protect you from the hijinks of the Sucubus you are about to meet.

The meeting takes place at a small table with four chairs. Niechbaux sits cross-legged nearby, but as he stands over twenty feet tall, still towers over the table. Vartalaix appears as a rather plain middle aged woman, but you are sure that she would be much different looking without the protective hexes in place. After discerning that her seduction has no effect on you, she acknowledges your wit, and assures you that she means no harm. In turn you tell her she doesn't have to worry, and that she will be your second in command regardless.

"That is a relief," she admits, "as is your resolve to solve the military problem. Your predecessor just ignored it, and let it get to this point. Now I don't see it ending short of drastic measures."

She proposes inviting the two feuding officers to the table you are presently sitting at sometime, hearing them both out, and having Niechbaux kill the one you decide against keeping. She thinks both have their strong points. Fin, as an orc, is far more trustworthy. He is also known to be an inspiring leader, and is considered a father-figure by the soldiers who serve under him, goblin and orc alike. Bloody Vadoi is a better tactician, and carries a fierce reputation that often demoralizes the foe before the battle even begins.

When pressed, Vartalaix admits that she would likely choose Fin, but her decision would be based more on the stakes than the merits of the candidates. "We don't actually control Clan Sperm Whale. Their Chieftain just happens to one of our underbosses, and it has been that way for mortal generations. If something went wrong, the clan could up and leave us, and there would be little we could do about it. Everything Bloody Vadoi owns, however, belongs to the gang. If he catches wind of the fact we are planning on removing him, and rebels against us, we have the right to appeal to Dark Lord Haggen for help putting him down. Some of the other gangs, even our enemies, might assist us as well; Nobody wants their war-boss to get any ideas."

Aside from the military issues, Vartalaix has a few more things to bring up. She informs you that you needn't be worried about Poison killing your predecessor; The claim is almost definitely true, but the pair had been romantically involved and going through a particularly nasty breakup - it was a crime of passion, not politics. If anything, the murderous underboss should know the heat is on, and try extra hard to stay on your good side.

She informs you that Axebeach has temporarily put aside its difference with Armageddon Pier, its neighbor to the south, to deal with a particularly nasty pirate fleet, which is almost certainly largely composed of privateers sent by Lagoona. She notes that your Sea-Bosses have the situation well under control, but that now would be a good time to perhaps reach out to the gang's traditional enemy. Both factions are forbidden by their Dark Lords from openly warring against one another, so it might be possible for both sides to see logic, embrace the ban on fighting, and establish proper diplomatic relations.

Lastly, the Succubus informs you that Clan Fig has expressed interest in purchasing Sea Monster bits for brewing as Clan Scarab does. This could be a lucrative opportunity, but Axebeach's monster hunting fleet would have to be expanded. Unless you object, she proposes slaughtering two thousand conscripts to pay for the materials needed to get the new fleet ready by next spring. You wonder if Greent has anything to do with this; He is a common link between Scarab and Fig.

What other business do you want to bring up at this meeting? Next turn wraps up your business here, and hopefully goes through at least Tuesday.

I'm also suggesting Infodump Suggestions, as it may be a few days before I can get the next full turn out...

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 07, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »

I'm going to put this on most of my posts:

Link to the spreadheet

Dump candidates (personal preference):

-Types of demons
-Uses for divine magic
-The multiverse and the planes

Thief business

Okay, our demands for their services are simple: they are to gather a personal element from each of our enemies. Bonus points if they don't notice the lack of said element.

My comments on the political situation: Chastity would likely be on our side (and I'm relieved to hear that she is not the viper we thought her to be), and we could probably get the young Marlowes to help us. With help from Tiv's ill health curse, we can probably reduce old Marlowe's life expectancy and get rid of him. Also, once the young Marlowes betray the prince, we will have at least 9 months to save Chastity (but of course we don't want her to be raped, you know). So, we will have to convince everybody, including the Kinkaids, that there should be no more infighting and that we should focus on dealing with the prince. But, before taking any important decisions, I'd like to contact Denzel Through Tetha, and offer Fortune's hand in exchange of ending this unnnecessary bloodshed (and Rubricon's and Clarence's head, too).

Virgil

Yeah, let him come to see the Ivys, it's the safer bet.

Smithing and enchanting

Convince Finch to take the role of enchanter saying that enchanting is a good way to gain credit with demons without getting into the whole soul-stealing thing. He is even an air elementalist, and if needed we could help him get the resources needed to capture lightning to enchant with (as a complementary means of the main energy source, which I think that should be divine magic right now).

Dean's surprising love story

While I'm slightly creeped out at the Oedipus complex here, I'm more suprised to know that he is not the anti-social guy I thought him to be.

I don't want Kinkaid children, so I'd rather prepare those barren womb potions for him. In fact, make a lot, so that he takes the hint.

And I would have totally paired him with Miri, had I known about that earlier. Dammit.

Foot and Tetha

We have no problems with getting Spittle to tutor him. Also, the idea of giving him the child seems... odd. I'm thinking about him as a successor to Axebeach in the future.
Still, don't do anything until we discuss with Tetha.

Demonic breeding factory

Agree to Rash's second proposal, and yeah, give them more demonspawn, I don't care. We'd rather control the demons, before having to deal with sentient half-demon things. With two thirds of the demonspawn they would be alright, I think.
If she offers to feed the thing, accept the offer.

Demonic business

Sell the augmented material, arrange for Ovinsail to take it to Nragelth, and buy two dragon eggs, at least. If we still have some money, buy also crates of divine goods.

Axebeach business

Okay, I'm leaning towards letting Fin have the leadership, and making clan Sperm Whale more integrated into Axebeach via blood, as long as we don't explicitly participate in that (but we may be able to get any random human to bang a female orc from that clan and be done with it).
My reasoning is this: Clan Sperm Whale is necessary to defend Axebeach. "Bloody" may be great, but we don't need a tactician in land now. In fact, by playing the turtle game, we may be able to overcome assaults. What I would do is to put a goblin subordinate to Fin, just in case the Orc proves to be too much of a bad leader.

So, I tentatively agree to meet both candidates, but don't even tell the sucubus that we will kill one of them. Let that be a surprise. We can even shoot the goblin ourselves if the need arises, but I'd rather not get my hands dirty, and just let Niech do the job.

About expanding the fleet and slaughtering 2k conscripts, I'm feeling reaally bad for slaughtering so many conscripts, but I can't see a means to pay for the materials otherwise. But we have to think like goblins in goblin lands, so I will be brutally rational and instead say that we should ask the sucubus not why we have the conscripts as soul stock, but instead why don't we train them and put them to do something useful while they are used as soul stock.

Otherwise, I think that the idea is fine. If we get better relations with Armageddon Pier we may prevent further attacks from our neighbours.

Speaking of Armageddon Pier, we should totally get into better relations with them. If Vartalaix doesn't have any problems with acting as a negotiator (if the other side trusts her), just try to establish communication lines, and eventually a way to coordinate our military against the common threat. As the new boss here, we are totally willing to forget previous grudges, which should free resources for us to do something else.

And, lastly, I'd like to discuss some business with both Niech and the Sucubus:

Shopping list for Niech:

We will use the store credit this month and so we'd like to buy as much as we can from this list (in order of importance):
-An ornamental hide armor with an ornamental Joker's steel war-scythe fit for an orc. This is to pay Chieftain Half-Moon.
-A set of plain but effective Joker's steel daggers. These ones are for our household, as a last resort weapon for some of us. Right now, I'm thinking about buying them for us, Wednesday, Lilly, Redding and Dean, which would be five in total, but if you want to add or remove anyone, please state that.
-Fill the rest with Fiend's Lung clothing, this is not for ourselves, point at the inquisitor nearby to say that we are not suicidal.

Then, lastly, ask about the slave business. Basically, we have the capital and demonic contacts to start a slave enterprise, and would like to know if there is room for more, or if we could buy part of the local business. We know that Niechbaux is usually overextended, but that we can provide him with a demonic enforcer to help him get more time to do his own, more productive business. I'm thinking about either the Sleetrog or Yaugur (but yaugur only temporarily).

No matter what the responses are, organize with Yaugur and Julslove the ambush to that demon, as long as everything is more or less safe for the participants.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2016, 12:16:34 am »

Thief business

Okay, our demands for their services are simple: they are to gather a personal element from each of our enemies. Bonus points if they don't notice the lack of said element.
Oh. That's actually really brilliant. Wow.

My comments on the political situation: Chastity would likely be on our side (and I'm relieved to hear that she is not the viper we thought her to be), and we could probably get the young Marlowes to help us. With help from Tiv's ill health curse, we can probably reduce old Marlowe's life expectancy and get rid of him. Also, once the young Marlowes betray the prince, we will have at least 9 months to save Chastity (but of course we don't want her to be raped, you know). So, we will have to convince everybody, including the Kinkaids, that there should be no more infighting and that we should focus on dealing with the prince. But, before taking any important decisions, I'd like to contact Denzel Through Tetha, and offer Fortune's hand in exchange of ending this unnnecessary bloodshed (and Rubricon's and Clarence's head, too).
Yeah, tricky situation. The other problem with the Marlowes is, as mentioned, that the Kinkaids want their land and they're too closely related for marriage to be a solve-all. The fact that they're likely going to be kicked out anyway gives them additional incentive if we can convince them their aid will help more than their betrayal hurts.

I think we should get those undead birds we ordered up and running, and see if we can get into contact with the Marlowes. I would greatly prefer pushing the Prince onto his back foot before Jasper gets up and running.

Remember that Denzel's supplying the crown muscle, but Rubicon is nominally in charge and we're not sure how he's keeping control of those mercenaries. I also think we should recontact Jonas to see if we can bribe him into serving as a mole/informant for us.

Not fond of promising Denzel anything, but that's mainly because I'm arrogant about our chances in a protracted conflict and want to negotiate from a position of unquestioned strength.

Virgil

Yeah, let him come to see the Ivys, it's the safer bet.
Yes, +1.

Smithing and enchanting

Convince Finch to take the role of enchanter saying that enchanting is a good way to gain credit with demons without getting into the whole soul-stealing thing. He is even an air elementalist, and if needed we could help him get the resources needed to capture lightning to enchant with (as a complementary means of the main energy source, which I think that should be divine magic right now).
Yeah, alright.

Dean's surprising love story

While I'm slightly creeped out at the Oedipus complex here, I'm more suprised to know that he is not the anti-social guy I thought him to be.

I don't want Kinkaid children, so I'd rather prepare those barren womb potions for him. In fact, make a lot, so that he takes the hint.

And I would have totally paired him with Miri, had I known about that earlier. Dammit.
Yeah, wow. I did not realize we had so many options! Damn.

I don't mind Kinkaid spawn, especially if they're bastards from a woman also interested in dark magic. We should invite all of his local crushes over for dinner (probably one at a time) to get to know them and see how they'd feel about being Bonedust broodmares side women to a manifestation.

Foot and Tetha

We have no problems with getting Spittle to tutor him. Also, the idea of giving him the child seems... odd. I'm thinking about him as a successor to Axebeach in the future.
Still, don't do anything until we discuss with Tetha.
Agree with all of this. Which I guess means we need to get that trip going before Tetha's goons come back for Yaas.

Demonic breeding factory

Agree to Rash's second proposal, and yeah, give them more demonspawn, I don't care. We'd rather control the demons, before having to deal with sentient half-demon things. With two thirds of the demonspawn they would be alright, I think.
If she offers to feed the thing, accept the offer.
I'd rather be polite to Tonsil, but I can't really object to this one.

Demonic business

Sell the augmented material, arrange for Ovinsail to take it to Nragelth, and buy two dragon eggs, at least. If we still have some money, buy also crates of divine goods.
Looks good, I suppose.

Axebeach business

Okay, I'm leaning towards letting Fin have the leadership, and making clan Sperm Whale more integrated into Axebeach via blood, as long as we don't explicitly participate in that (but we may be able to get any random human to bang a female orc from that clan and be done with it).
My reasoning is this: Clan Sperm Whale is necessary to defend Axebeach. "Bloody" may be great, but we don't need a tactician in land now. In fact, by playing the turtle game, we may be able to overcome assaults. What I would do is to put a goblin subordinate to Fin, just in case the Orc proves to be too much of a bad leader.

So, I tentatively agree to meet both candidates, but don't even tell the sucubus that we will kill one of them. Let that be a surprise. We can even shoot the goblin ourselves if the need arises, but I'd rather not get my hands dirty, and just let Niech do the job.
I'd like to sit on this a bit longer and see if we can come up with something better. Or maybe meet with them to get their spiels but defer on judgment just yet.

About expanding the fleet and slaughtering 2k conscripts, I'm feeling reaally bad for slaughtering so many conscripts, but I can't see a means to pay for the materials otherwise. But we have to think like goblins in goblin lands, so I will be brutally rational and instead say that we should ask the sucubus not why we have the conscripts as soul stock, but instead why don't we train them and put them to do something useful while they are used as soul stock.

Otherwise, I think that the idea is fine. If we get better relations with Armageddon Pier we may prevent further attacks from our neighbours.
We might want to ask a bit on the... economics of conscript sacrifice. We're not really sure how much 2000 conscripts/souls is on this scale, or what forms the profit would take from doing so.

I'm loosely in favor of buffing Clan Fig, but do bear in mind that Greent isn't completely on our side, which adds some slight complication to the endeavor.

Speaking of Armageddon Pier, we should totally get into better relations with them. If Vartalaix doesn't have any problems with acting as a negotiator (if the other side trusts her), just try to establish communication lines, and eventually a way to coordinate our military against the common threat. As the new boss here, we are totally willing to forget previous grudges, which should free resources for us to do something else.
Sounds good.

Shopping list for Niech:

We will use the store credit this month and so we'd like to buy as much as we can from this list (in order of importance):
-An ornamental hide armor with an ornamental Joker's steel war-scythe fit for an orc. This is to pay Chieftain Half-Moon.
-A set of plain but effective Joker's steel daggers. These ones are for our household, as a last resort weapon for some of us. Right now, I'm thinking about buying them for us, Wednesday, Lilly, Redding and Dean, which would be five in total, but if you want to add or remove anyone, please state that.
-Fill the rest with Fiend's Lung clothing, this is not for ourselves, point at the inquisitor nearby to say that we are not suicidal.
I like Half-Moon's tribute, but I'm not sure we need defense daggers or hell survival gear. There's gotta be better ways to insure our household, and our minion does have a point in that other realms are pretty dangerous to go personally.

Then, lastly, ask about the slave business. Basically, we have the capital and demonic contacts to start a slave enterprise, and would like to know if there is room for more, or if we could buy part of the local business. We know that Niechbaux is usually overextended, but that we can provide him with a demonic enforcer to help him get more time to do his own, more productive business. I'm thinking about either the Sleetrog or Yaugur (but yaugur only temporarily).
This is real good. Combining our current assets with Axebeach might have all sorts of uses.

Speaking of which, we should ask if there's anything we can do to un-extend him on other fronts as well. Like those drow commoners we were hoping to turn into soul cleaners, our various alchemy resources, even just the management aspect so he's not being run around so much handling his minions.

We should also ask about silver. It's become rare in Axebeach but we still have access to some of it and are hoping to capture more, so the possibility exists that we are or will be in a good position to ship some of it soon.

No matter what the responses are, organize with Yaugur and Julslove the ambush to that demon, as long as everything is more or less safe for the participants.
Looks good. Oh, that's what the fiend lung is for. Hrm.

Otherwise... are we basically ready for our trip? With the Virgil issue dealt with we're not tied down by anything local very badly, are we?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31