Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65368 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »

I would suggest simply putting most of the Geo political stuff as well as our own status in some form of google doc, then you can update it at any time afterwards with anything new.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »

Depends on where the effort comes from. The simple bookkeeping part should be pretty easy to offload to players, you can even bribe them if you want. Like by adding a minor imp named after them, and having Maeris thrash them with a stick if the records aren't delivered on time. :P

If the length is making them unwieldy, you could try keeping the more static stuff in a link you post, and save the spoiler for the more malleable things. Or just offload again; after that much update text a simple "someone stuff this under the right heading with the right formatting" could be disproportionately useful.

I'll give some more thought to the actual organization, there might be a more convenient way to store this stuff.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2016, 05:47:16 pm »

I would suggest simply putting most of the Geo political stuff as well as our own status in some form of google doc, then you can update it at any time afterwards with anything new.

Yes. This would be quite easy. Also, Info dumps could happen in those documents too.

Right now, I would recomend just having something like a document where we players can update and manage the information for the GM, like has happened with games that get too complex for the GM to manage, so that Weirdsound focuses more on his writing and less on book-keeping.

Otherwise, if the GM doens't desire to leave key yet boring aspects of gameplay to the players, he can at least reduce the amount of information given. He can just leave the resources and units in those spoilers, and get rid of all the explanations.

Whatever the GM decides, this is a fantastic game, and I'm willing to help, if I can.

Hmm, lots of things to consider...

Demon business:

I like Ovinsial's offer. We can let Dean get the souls, as long as he doesn't get into trouble. But I have no rush, so we can wait for the Watcher.

So I say to let Dean do the cursing for us and buy Ovnisial's services, and then wait for the Watcher instead of paying for the directory.

I'd really like to buy one of those crates of stolen divine goods. We can use Moaoavoa's hex to give souls to the demon thief. But I need at least two victims. Maybe we should start harvesting undesirables.

We can use projection stages to communicate with the goblins, so I guess that we can safely manage the goblins without anyone knowing who we are. We should also discuss with Haggen about the whole secrecy of this. We don't want anybody knowing. And maybe arrange a marriage in case we are caught up in this.

If Ovnisial buys goods in bulk, maybe we should try selling potions in bulk. We definitely need a soul income, and potions are something we excel at. So:

Negotiate with Ovnisial for prices for potions sold in bulk. Offer clan Ape's special potions too.

Contact Niechbaux. Discuss business with Tiv and how he could make himself useful if he becomes our vassal.

Dealing with Trevor

Okay, send some healer (not Joy) to help the guy before he dies. Or use potions. Maybe send the regenerative orc druid to help him.Whatever. There is no going back from this, and Trevor won't change his mind.

So, I think that we should go for the public trial in which we berate him. We have both Redding, Greent, and probably Lou helping us here. So we do the trial, Trevor gets discredited, and Redding becomes the most influential mercenary. And we can then make Trevor disappear or something if he still causes some trouble. Remember we can just sell people as slaves right now, without leaving any evidence of the crime.

We could coordinate the trail with prices lowering (right now, we would have a 40% with 16 people) and special offers for the mercenaries of the city. This should get them on our side.

Vampire business

Protection from Gregory? The inquisition? Ha! We control Gregory, one of his Inquisitors is our apprentice and another one is courting us. She won't have problems with the Inquisition. And even then, our son manifested a Light Eater.

So, let's propose some terms:
-Forget about the dark magic workstations. We already have them.
-She can have her brood and we can offer protection. If the Inquisition is in town, she should tell us and we can do something about it.
-We want either a share of her mercenary company, or a tribute of souls. Negotiate hard on this one, as we have tremendous leverage here.
-We also want her support of Redding as lead mercenary here, or at least her help in discrediting Trevor.

Business with Pog

Instead of telling her, offer her protection. We are not sure, but Yaugur could defend her for some time. If she agrees, tell Tiv to negotiate, and tell him everything we know, so that he knows where he is getting. We don't want our family business to die because of us fucking around with a godess. If everything goes well, we can then tell her.

We may need another demonic enforcer, because Yaugur is just one single demon.

Virgil and the lost Vault

Take the soul glass, and make Ovinsial appraise it, as long as she doens't charge us for it.

Spend some nerdy time with Virgil studying all this like the bookworm we are.

Also discuss further plans to explore the ruins. Right now, military might should be enough to dissuade minor orc clans. But maybe
we can pay some tribute to go around. We can spare the soldiers and silver to help them move around.

Other suggestions:

We should really meet up with Rash to see which things were given to us after the purge

Other, less relevant comments:

I knew that Fortune's death had to do with her marriage! It was obvious!

I'm going to get a good time laughing at Palm.

I wonder if Dublin would like to bed that Succubus in Axebeach. He may be into that sort of thing. Also, maybe we should go fishing with him once we become a binder.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »

I'd really like to buy one of those crates of stolen divine goods. Maybe we should start harvesting undesirables.
Do not harvest North Bank City to buy trinkets off the demonic vendor.

Do not harvest North Bank City to buy trinkets off the demonic vendor!

DO NOT HARVEST NORTH BANK CITY TO BUY TRINKETS OFF THE DEMONIC VENDOR!

That was directed at myself. Hey, you wanna harvest wait no no no. Now I understand why dark mages are all evil.

-I want some Drowish furnishings. This is a stupid idea, we have no place to put them, and I should be disregarded in this matter.
-I want some Drow. I cannot afford most Drow. But we could totally afford to hold a guard, and if we could drum up 10 victims a nobleman crafter/bodyguard/socialite sounds like something we could definitely use. As a bonus, having an evil female boss will probably make them feel right at home!
-A brain being sounds fascinating. We should get the hexes up to hold him, then contact him to see if it's worth calling in Yaugur every time he needs to be brought in line.
-Armor spiders sound cool but far too expensive. I am sad.

So let's put a hold on a guard or nobleman with useful crafting and socializing skills, and on the brain being so we can interview and figure out if it'll be worth our while.

-Oh man mystery boxes, crap, nothing is more enticing than mystery boxes. If we're going to get one we should get the discount on three.
-Dragon egg! Dragonsdragonsdragons, do we know anybody or thing with great power over fire? A quick search reveals Yaugur's Hex (or himself, if he could be bothered to be sent and incubated an egg), Peat's goon named Kill ("powerful"), one of Tonsil's daughters named Femur ("the basics"), that elementalist Gregory was protecting from Clan Ivy, Starling's creator the Deep God Urchun (but not Starling himself), our apprentice Fairweather Kinkaid ("dabbles"), Bolt the patron goddess of Clan Gruel, and Tempest ("practicing") all have some connection to fire. Yaugur-blessing Kill would probably be the most viable route here, assuming we can get away with a mortal elementalist and not a true fire demon or something.

Demon business:

I like Ovinsial's offer. We can let Dean get the souls, as long as he doesn't get into trouble. But I have no rush, so we can wait for the Watcher.

So I say to let Dean do the cursing for us and buy Ovnisial's services, and then wait for the Watcher instead of paying for the directory.

I'd really like to buy one of those crates of stolen divine goods. We can use Moaoavoa's hex to give souls to the demon thief. But I need at least two victims.

We can use projection stages to communicate with the goblins, so I guess that we can safely manage the goblins without anyone knowing who we are. We should also discuss with Haggen about the whole secrecy of this. We don't want anybody knowing. And maybe arrange a marriage in case we are caught up in this.

If Ovnisial buys goods in bulk, maybe we should try selling potions in bulk. We definitely need a soul income, and potions are something we excel at. So:

Negotiate with Ovnisial for prices for potions sold in bulk. Offer clan Ape's special potions too.

Contact Niechbaux. Discuss business with Tiv and how he could make himself useful if he becomes our vassal.
Yes to all of this, but I would point out that buying in bulk most likely means he doesn't value them a ton, so selling monoplized potions to him probably won't be an efficient source of souls. Then again, if we want to avoid executing pickpockets and litterers maybe it'd be worth it.

Dealing with Trevor

Okay, send some healer (not Joy) to help the guy before he dies. Or use potions. Maybe send the regenerative orc druid to help him.Whatever. There is no going back from this, and Trevor won't change his mind.

So, I think that we should go for the public trial in which we berate him. We have both Redding, Greent, and probably Lou helping us here. So we do the trial, Trevor gets discredited, and Redding becomes the most influential mercenary. And we can then make Trevor disappear or something if he still causes some trouble. Remember we can just sell people as slaves right now, without leaving any evidence of the crime.

We could coordinate the trail with prices lowering (right now, we would have a 40% with 16 people) and special offers for the mercenaries of the city. This should get them on our side.
Ayup. Maybe we can hex him to calm him down or something, but unless we want to make a project out of it that sounds like a "save Redding's friend from alcoholism and despair" plan, not a "resolve the trial" plan. Temper + Temper does not end well.

Vampire business

Protection from Gregory? The inquisition? Ha! We control Gregory, one of his Inquisitors is our apprentice and another one is courting us. She won't have problems with the Inquisition. And even then, our son manifested a Light Eater.

-She can have her brood and we can offer protection. If the Inquisition is in town, she should tell us and we can do something about it.
-We want either a share of her mercenary company, or a tribute of souls. Negotiate hard on this one, as we have tremendous leverage here.
-We also want her support of Redding as lead mercenary here, or at least her help in discrediting Trevor.
I like it, but we should also inquire about her connection to Wikes, if any. Finding out that she ate Trevor's wife or something could be insightful.

We should also probably consider what we know about vampires, notably their feeding habits. We're gonna want to be real careful about okaying a brood of night murderers so that we can eat their victims' souls or something, as the cartel and Clan Ivy's repercussions have shown.

Business with Pog

Instead of telling her, offer her protection. We are not sure, but Yaugur could defend her for some time. If she agrees, tell Tiv to negotiate, and tell him everything we know, so that he knows where he is getting. We don't want our family business to die because of us fucking around with a godess. If everything goes well, we can then tell her.

I think we need to tell her. If her goon was attacked by Tetha's goons, their goal may have been to assassinate him to break Fortune's eyesight. Pog needs to know the extent to which her connection to us is in direct opposition to Tetha, both because it might become relevant again in the future and because knowing more details might give her the context to clue us in on more details.

For that matter, we should ask Mason and Spittle if they have any insight here. If Spittle has any way to commune with Tetha directly, in fact, that'd be awesome.

I agree that we need another bruiser. Building or recruiting a combat-oriented greater demon sounds like a lengthy and ambitious project, however.

Take the soul glass, and make Ovinsial appraise it, as long as she doens't charge us for it.

Also discuss further plans to explore the ruins. Right now, military might should be enough to dissuade minor orc clans. But maybe
we can pay some tribute to go around. We can spare the soldiers and silver to help them move around.
I love bookworming it up with Virgil, we should absolutely do that. Let him have most of the credit and fun parts, since it's his family history, but still.

I'd rather keep the glass, but it's true that we have no glassworking enchanters at present. Maybe that Drowish Nobleman we're totally going to buy? :3

I don't think military might will be necessary. The trouble is finding it, not claiming it; if anybody knew where it was they'd have it already. Once we know that, we'll need to negotiate with whoever's on the land, which could be done militarily but is probably better suited to actual negotiations.

We should really meet up with Rash to see which things were given to us after the purge
Ooh, yes.

I wonder if Dublin would like to bed that Succubus in Axebeach. He may be into that sort of thing. Also, maybe we should go fishing with him once we become a binder.
Oh wow. He will probably absolutely love that, yes.

...though speaking of fishing, we might also be able to pull something fun out of the multiverse. In any case, why wait to become a binder? Just get some orcish muscle down there to assist with light eaters. Or Dean to let them duel pokemon style.

ALSO: I knew I was forgetting something, and that something was Lilly. Lilly's incapable of "physical or magical growth" on her own, which I assume means we can't teach her spells and might mean she's no good at potions, but she might be able to learn herbalism or demonic manners/lore. Unless she has something better to do, we should have her attend any of our relevant classes. And, you know, mention that she's not allowed to eat people (tempting as it is to let her try for Palm).

Needless to say, I'll reiterate letting Fortune attend as well. Ain't a real classroom until you've got a pair of creepy demonic little girls in it!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2016, 09:58:17 pm »

I'd really like to buy one of those crates of stolen divine goods. Maybe we should start harvesting undesirables.
Do not harvest North Bank City to buy trinkets off the demonic vendor.

Do not harvest North Bank City to buy trinkets off the demonic vendor!

DO NOT HARVEST NORTH BANK CITY TO BUY TRINKETS OFF THE DEMONIC VENDOR!

That was directed at myself. Hey, you wanna harvest wait no no no. Now I understand why dark mages are all evil.

-I want some Drowish furnishings. This is a stupid idea, we have no place to put them, and I should be disregarded in this matter.
-I want some Drow. I cannot afford most Drow. But we could totally afford to hold a guard, and if we could drum up 10 victims a nobleman crafter/bodyguard/socialite sounds like something we could definitely use. As a bonus, having an evil female boss will probably make them feel right at home!
-A brain being sounds fascinating. We should get the hexes up to hold him, then contact him to see if it's worth calling in Yaugur every time he needs to be brought in line.

So let's put a hold on a guard or nobleman with useful crafting and socializing skills, and on the brain being so we can interview and figure out if it'll be worth our while.

-Oh man mystery boxes, crap, nothing is more enticing than mystery boxes. If we're going to get one we should get the discount on three.
-Dragon egg! Dragonsdragonsdragons, do we know anybody or thing with great power over fire? A quick search reveals Yaugur's Hex (or himself, if he could be bothered to be sent and incubated an egg), Peat's goon named Kill ("powerful"), one of Tonsil's daughters named Femur ("the basics"), that elementalist Gregory was protecting from Clan Ivy, Starling's creator the Deep God Urchun (but not Starling himself), our apprentice Fairweather Kinkaid ("dabbles"), Bolt the patron goddess of Clan Gruel, and Tempest ("practicing") all have some connection to fire. Yaugur-blessing Kill would probably be the most viable route here, assuming we can get away with a mortal elementalist and not a true fire demon or something.

Demon business:

I'd really like to buy one of those crates of stolen divine goods. We can use Moaoavoa's hex to give souls to the demon thief. But I need at least two victims.

Yes to all of this, but I would point out that buying in bulk most likely means he doesn't value them a ton, so selling monoplized potions to him probably won't be an efficient source of souls. Then again, if we want to avoid executing pickpockets and litterers maybe it'd be worth it.

Dealing with Trevor

Ayup. Maybe we can hex him to calm him down or something, but unless we want to make a project out of it that sounds like a "save Redding's friend from alcoholism and despair" plan, not a "resolve the trial" plan. Temper + Temper does not end well.

Vampire business

I like it, but we should also inquire about her connection to Wikes, if any. Finding out that she ate Trevor's wife or something could be insightful.

We should also probably consider what we know about vampires, notably their feeding habits. We're gonna want to be real careful about okaying a brood of night murderers so that we can eat their victims' souls or something, as the cartel and Clan Ivy's repercussions have shown.

Business with Pog

I think we need to tell her. If her goon was attacked by Tetha's goons, their goal may have been to assassinate him to break Fortune's eyesight. Pog needs to know the extent to which her connection to us is in direct opposition to Tetha, both because it might become relevant again in the future and because knowing more details might give her the context to clue us in on more details.

For that matter, we should ask Mason and Spittle if they have any insight here. If Spittle has any way to commune with Tetha directly, in fact, that'd be awesome.

I agree that we need another bruiser. Building or recruiting a combat-oriented greater demon sounds like a lengthy and ambitious project, however.

I love bookworming it up with Virgil, we should absolutely do that. Let him have most of the credit and fun parts, since it's his family history, but still.

I'd rather keep the glass, but it's true that we have no glassworking enchanters at present. Maybe that Drowish Nobleman we're totally going to buy? :3

I don't think military might will be necessary. The trouble is finding it, not claiming it; if anybody knew where it was they'd have it already. Once we know that, we'll need to negotiate with whoever's on the land, which could be done militarily but is probably better suited to actual negotiations.

Ooh, yes.

Oh wow. He will probably absolutely love that, yes.

...though speaking of fishing, we might also be able to pull something fun out of the multiverse. In any case, why wait to become a binder? Just get some orcish muscle down there to assist with light eaters. Or Dean to let them duel pokemon style.

ALSO: I knew I was forgetting something, and that something was Lilly. Lilly's incapable of "physical or magical growth" on her own, which I assume means we can't teach her spells and might mean she's no good at potions, but she might be able to learn herbalism or demonic manners/lore. Unless she has something better to do, we should have her attend any of our relevant classes. And, you know, mention that she's not allowed to eat people (tempting as it is to let her try for Palm).

Needless to say, I'll reiterate letting Fortune attend as well. Ain't a real classroom until you've got a pair of creepy demonic little girls in it!
+1 To all that
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2016, 10:16:20 pm »

One word: Mable. We may just buy that girl's hearth. After that, making her undergo demon modification would be trivial.

I was thinking on buying many servants and teach them potion brewing for the cartel. And not have them as slaves, but as workers. Mable will like that too. Maybe later we can get them to be soul cleaners too so that they help the family business.

I support any hexing to hold any kind of deal we may want.

Yep. But in this case I'm not interested.

I'm almost tempted to buy 9 for 6 souls. But I guess that we should at least try with 3. But I don't want to kill anybody. Yet.

I find it unlikely that we will get someone to help us with it. And I'm not too interested. But I don't know how much time do dragons take to mature anyway. That legendary dragon Mystario was badass, though.

10 sets of dwarven crafted armor with maul included are sold for 1 soul. Souls are quite valuable. I doubt that we will get good deals for physical goods. So we may have to take what we can. I don't want to go around executing scum either.

I support any kind of Hexing to help us negotiate. But I think that saving Redding's friend is far from an achievable goal without serious mind fuckery.

Vampire business

I fully support gathering information before acting. I still think tht Lou is more on our side rather than in Trevor's. Also, it seems that vampires feed once every some months. As long as the brood doesn't get really huge, she will be fine.

Business with Pog

Hmm, I don't think that we should tell her yet. Maybe later, when we know if we can protect her. Because if this goes wrong, Fortune will become blind again. And that would be terrible.

I don't care about personal credit. let him have it. We are bookworms, we don't want fame.

Time is money and any material we have around doing nothing is going to be wasted.

But I support asking if there is any kind of enchanter and glassblower nobleman.

My argument: I totally want to have Axebeach, so we can become a binder any time. So, we can wait just a little bit. I just want to make sure that we will have a means of communication in which it is highly unlikely that we will get discovered. We will have to keep our identity hidden even from the goblins themselves.

I suppose that it won't be possible for her to learn anything. Just in case:

Question: can Lilly learn new skills?

Right now, if we are not using her, she is a waste of resources. But just as you have a desire to get Drow stuff, I want to make her a really spoiled child. Anyway, I have an idea:

For a lesson on the different kinds of demons, go with Lilly, and make her pass as a servant. And then make she do her number and take control of someone (without the soul-munching part, of course, that is strictly prohibited unless we allow it). Then make the unfortunate student do a funny dance or something as we have a good time laughing and explain what is a Sorrow's Daughter.

She is going to be disruptive in the potion class, where she already knows a lot. And she doens't want to become a dark mage, and already declined our offer.

So I don't know what to do.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »

Lilly can learn new skills, but her base attributes will never increase. Any magic supposed to improve her will likely just be stored in her body for the benefit of whatever being harvests her. Sorrow's Daughters are cattle for demons of emotion. They can be of great utility to a Dark Mage, but that is not what they are designed for, as the beings who make them often have better ways of controlling people.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2016, 10:53:42 pm »

That guy seems to hate the Bonedust family.  Maybe if we discovered some dark secret like he was working for the prince and was going to betray all the mercenaries to try and kill our children?

By discover I of course mean fabricate evidence.  Edit: Maybe with the mind controlling demon girl?  We just need to control one of his followers to provide evidence.  And the vampire merc and Redding and some notes of some kind.

We should get a dragon egg and give it as a gift to the head of Clan Ape when she arrives.  She is a powerful mage in her own right and no doubt has a fire elementalist who could raise the dragon, plus it might be a storm dragon, and she is all storm magicky.  It might smooth over the fact we allied clan Ivy (none of the major clans are likely on good terms).

My insane thought on the goblin gang clan and the brain demon.
Let's buy the demon and accept the position as ruler of the goblin gang.  Put the demon in charge as our representative with the succubus as his advisor and second (he cant be mind controlled).  We can communicate with and manage the goblin gang without being present and use our great grandfather to keep the demons protected/in line.  It is a position of power and authority we can bind the brain demon to a voluntary agreement for now (particularly if we know our own hex name) with the promise of freeing him later or granting him other boons if he performs well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:59:53 pm by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2016, 10:57:52 pm »

And we can always burn our bridges if the goblin gang becomes a problem, just say some crazy demon is claiming to rule in our name and gosh aren't those goblins awful with their lying demon overlords.

We should probably just come up with a fake name to have him rule by for now.  Something like Night Mother or Lady of the Spikes or something actually better.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2016, 06:32:08 am »

Won't becoming Head of Axebeach, put up a possible tripping hazard in our "Cannon Quest"?
I'd double check that we won't need the support of this "City-State of Lagoona on Titan Rock", that our potential goblin-vassals are enfeuded with. Or, at least, how strong this faction actually is. Just a precaution - I'd most likely be for Axebeach either way.

The enchanted Glass, is dead capital right now. Let's not keep it that way.
I'm completely fine to sell it to Ovinsial, and go on a soul-fueled shopping spree, as I would be with possibly buying a dark elven crafter to make stuff out of it. Sounding out our contacts on any such crafters, obviously also a fine idea.

Elven Shopping
Getting some elven slaves for our cartel, is a tad overkill - or rather, their price. Some of the useful members of that household, sure. But if it is just plain work-force, I'd argue we could drum those up in other, less costly ways.
I'd have a mind to ask for an elf with which we could do soul-cleaning. Could become quite the boon. While we already "have" her, and Mable is a nice kid, she's also only a half, and our possible future antics with her, are restricted by her father.

Some thoughts on Fortune's prohpecy. I am a bit unsure in which way her husband would work, especially since she could always (be made to) remarry.
Will her future husband be drawn by the prophecies fate to become a king? Or will the girl be drawn by the prophecy to become the wife of the "actual" king?
It just as easily could go somewhat into both ways, but if it is the former, our faction becomes even more of a "mover and shaker" of the kingdom, than it already is.

Actually, the prophecy says "crowned sovereign". It doesn't say which kingdom, nor that the title actually needs to be "King". The implications of this, might be quite interesting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2016, 06:58:27 am »

One word: Mable. We may just buy that girl's hearth. After that, making her undergo demon modification would be trivial.
Hum. I wonder if she'd even like some Drow furnishings.

Speaking of which, we really need to see our new holdings.

I was thinking on buying many servants and teach them potion brewing for the cartel. And not have them as slaves, but as workers. Mable will like that too. Maybe later we can get them to be soul cleaners too so that they help the family business.
Um. Come to think of it, if they only cost 1 soul, and they have one soul... I mean, we still need to get the souls in the first place, and... recouping groups of people isn't the best thing to get into the habit of, but technically there's no loss unless they bail out on us.

And as you say, more potioners and possible soul cleaners sounds nice. We should definitely reserve... however many we're going to want. How many are we going to want?

I'm almost tempted to buy 9 for 6 souls. But I guess that we should at least try with 3. But I don't want to kill anybody. Yet.
Yeah. This is hard.

We do have plenty of money; maybe we could find some slaves for sale or people willing to let us eat their souls in exchange for showering their families in wealth? Dunno how much use orcs have for coin, but they might be especially prone to thinking that's a good trade.

I find it unlikely that we will get someone to help us with it. And I'm not too interested. But I don't know how much time do dragons take to mature anyway. That legendary dragon Mystario was badass, though.
Sadly, it probably isn't viable right now.

10 sets of dwarven crafted armor with maul included are sold for 1 soul. Souls are quite valuable. I doubt that we will get good deals for physical goods. So we may have to take what we can. I don't want to go around executing scum either.
True. Maybe we should ask if there's any material goods in particular he's interested in. We do have a city, orcish warband, at least one alchemist, a bunch of hunters, and all manner of other weirdos at our disposal.

I support any kind of Hexing to help us negotiate. But I think that saving Redding's friend is far from an achievable goal without serious mind fuckery.
Or time to cool off, or the cartel softening, or a better understanding of the vampire connection, or... yeah, something.

Business with Pog

Hmm, I don't think that we should tell her yet. Maybe later, when we know if we can protect her. Because if this goes wrong, Fortune will become blind again. And that would be terrible.
Yeah, but if Tetha's in danger of hitting Pog's lackeys again, she's in danger of going blind regardless.

Plus the whole reason we're in contact with her is because she knows Tetha's business. Sooner or later she's going to figure out what we've been up to, and she'll no doubt be none too pleased if we neglected to tell her about it.

Time is money and any material we have around doing nothing is going to be wasted.
True. Then again, we have a habit of amassing oddball allies; who knows when we might pick up somebody who can put soul-glass to good use?

My argument: I totally want to have Axebeach, so we can become a binder any time. So, we can wait just a little bit. I just want to make sure that we will have a means of communication in which it is highly unlikely that we will get discovered. We will have to keep our identity hidden even from the goblins themselves.
Good point.

Right now, if we are not using her, she is a waste of resources. But just as you have a desire to get Drow stuff, I want to make her a really spoiled child. Anyway, I have an idea:
That's adorable.

On another note, her special ability is basically impossible to use right; it works best on the careless, reachable, and good-hearted, and the more somebody is any of those things the less likely we need them dealt with or impersonated. So I don't think her gimmick is very useful.

It's very fortunate, then, that she's got a bunch of social and performance skills. My plan was to use her as a high society skill monkey, which I assume will mesh fairly well with your plans to spoil her rotten.

For a lesson on the different kinds of demons, go with Lilly, and make her pass as a servant. And then make she do her number and take control of someone (without the soul-munching part, of course, that is strictly prohibited unless we allow it). Then make the unfortunate student do a funny dance or something as we have a good time laughing and explain what is a Sorrow's Daughter.
And hammering home to our orcish pupils why you NEVER, EVER NEGOTIATE WITH DEMONS ON YOUR OWN, THIS WILL BE YOU.

She is going to be disruptive in the potion class, where she already knows a lot. And she doens't want to become a dark mage, and already declined our offer.

So I don't know what to do.
She probably won't be that disruptive. I mean, yeah, it's a giant snake, giant snakes are cool, giant snakes sometimes do giant snake things. But unless it starts actively eating the ingredients (or students) or knocking over delicate lab equipment (possibly including Palm), any disruption should only last until the novelty wears off. I mean, they all want to learn potions, right? It's hard to be too badly disrupted if you're studying something you actually want to learn.

The other issue would be irking the students because Fortune is better than them even though she should be dead, but she's a blind prophet with a giant snake and everyone's boss and teacher for a mother. I assume they'll let it slide.

Unrelated: How would The Girl Foretold have survived being born to an orcish clan anyway? Would a wandering priest have scooped her up?

That guy seems to hate the Bonedust family.  Maybe if we discovered some dark secret like he was working for the prince and was going to betray all the mercenaries to try and kill our children?

By discover I of course mean fabricate evidence.  Edit: Maybe with the mind controlling demon girl?  We just need to control one of his followers to provide evidence.  And the vampire merc and Redding and some notes of some kind.
That'd make Redding sad, though.

Besides, we might get some more insight out of vampire lady.

We should get a dragon egg and give it as a gift to the head of Clan Ape when she arrives.  She is a powerful mage in her own right and no doubt has a fire elementalist who could raise the dragon, plus it might be a storm dragon, and she is all storm magicky.  It might smooth over the fact we allied clan Ivy (none of the major clans are likely on good terms).
Ooh. Interesting.

I think all the mighty clans were allied with the Kinkaids, so they're probably kind of friendly with each other.

My insane thought on the goblin gang clan and the brain demon. Let's buy the demon and accept the position as ruler of the goblin gang.  Put the demon in charge as our representative with the succubus as his advisor and second (he cant be mind controlled).  We can communicate with and manage the goblin gang without being present and use our great grandfather to keep the demons protected/in line.  It is a position of power and authority we can bind the brain demon to a voluntary agreement for now (particularly if we know our own hex name) with the promise of freeing him later or granting him other boons if he performs well.
He's "an ornery bastard," though, which probably doesn't make for the best leader. Well... not the best human leader, anyway, maybe goblins take better to it. I'd probably rather just work through whoever the boss selects as our middlegoblin, though I'll admit I really like the idea of communicating through demons directly.

If nothing else, I'd definitely want to talk to him first to get a read on him. We might also need more than a month to get his 30 soul price together, especially if we're buying other stuff, so our goblin friend will need an answer (which is looking more and more like yes) and an interim Overboss to start running things before we have him ready.

Won't becoming Head of Axebeach, put up a possible tripping hazard in our "Cannon Quest"?
I'd double check that we won't need the support of this "City-State of Lagoona on Titan Rock", that our potential goblin-vassals are enfeuded with. Or, at least, how strong this faction actually is. Just a precaution - I'd most likely be for Axebeach either way.

The enchanted Glass, is dead capital right now. Let's not keep it that way.
I'm completely fine to sell it to Ovinsial, and go on a soul-fueled shopping spree, as I would be with possibly buying a dark elven crafter to make stuff out of it. Sounding out our contacts on any such crafters, obviously also a fine idea.

Elven Shopping
Getting some elven slaves for our cartel, is a tad overkill - or rather, their price. Some of the useful members of that household, sure. But if it is just plain work-force, I'd argue we could drum those up in other, less costly ways.
I'd have a mind to ask for an elf with which we could do soul-cleaning. Could become quite the boon. While we already "have" her, and Mable is a nice kid, she's also only a half, and our possible future antics with her, are restricted by her father.
Lagoona- Good catch. I doubt all the cannon-makers are in one city, and this is supposed to be kept hush-hush regardless, but I hadn't noticed that.

Glass- Now that you mention it, selling the glass might be the easiest way to get the souls we need for the time-sensitive offers. Depending on the rates, crates of random divine goods might also be more valuable than what we could turn the glass into, or vice versa.

Elves- Maybe, well, definitely, but remember that the ability to hold souls is an almost uniquely drowish trait; mortal soul cleaners basically don't exist outside the drow. That said, I have no idea how hard it is for common drow servants to learn soul cleaning; we should look into that. I'm also forced to reluctantly admit that as wealthy and powerful as we are, finding loyal servants or slaves probably shouldn't be that difficult for anything else.

Some thoughts on Fortune's prohpecy. I am a bit unsure in which way her husband would work, especially since she could always (be made to) remarry.
Will her future husband be drawn by the prophecies fate to become a king? Or will the girl be drawn by the prophecy to become the wife of the "actual" king?
It just as easily could go somewhat into both ways, but if it is the former, our faction becomes even more of a "mover and shaker" of the kingdom, than it already is.

Actually, the prophecy says "crowned sovereign". It doesn't say which kingdom, nor that the title actually needs to be "King". The implications of this, might be quite interesting.
What I want to know is the divine aspect. Somehow, this leads to Fortune dying and Tetha performing a truly mighty miracle. That can't be connected to the crown in a mundane way, can it? But I'm not sure what mystical significance it'd have either.

The specific nuance of the prophecy is definitely worth noting. "A ruler who wears a crown and pays tribute to no other lord" is distinctly different from "the king of human lands."

Also worth noting: Denzel might be aware of the specific wording of this prophecy. If he is, we have entirely new ways to freak him out!

But also: This would imply that Denzel can't marry Fortune and then become king from that; he'd need Tetha's help to make it happen in order to set up the prophecy properly. That in itself is invaluable to know.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2016, 07:07:23 am »

"A ruler who wears a crown and pays no tribute to any other lord" could just be someone who doesn't pay vassalage.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2016, 07:27:37 am »

I like the idea of contacting Demon Brain freak and the fake overboss thing.

About Pog: yeah, she will eventually learn about what we did, so I guess that we should tell her

Right now I don't think that we will need to reserve more than 20 drow. But seeing as how twenty take just a hex, I say that we reserve 100

We do have plenty of money; maybe we could find some slaves for sale or people willing to let us eat their souls in exchange for showering their families in wealth? Dunno how much use orcs have for coin, but they might be especially prone to thinking that's a good trade.

Demon-assisted euthanasia? I'm totally in. But I don't know where to start. Maybe we could start asking around less important orc clans.

True. Maybe we should ask if there's any material goods in particular he's interested in. We do have a city, orcish warband, at least one alchemist, a bunch of hunters, and all manner of other weirdos at our disposal.

I fully support asking for business opportunities

As always, I support questions and gathering information.

On another note, her special ability is basically impossible to use right; it works best on the careless, reachable, and good-hearted, and the more somebody is any of those things the less likely we need them dealt with or impersonated. So I don't think her gimmick is very useful.

That's my concern. Could we eventually feed her to become a full demon of emotion? She could have her small division in Tiv's enterprise!

It's very fortunate, then, that she's got a bunch of social and performance skills. My plan was to use her as a high society skill monkey, which I assume will mesh fairly well with your plans to spoil her rotten.

I like the idea. How do you call the assistant girl that follows you around always? She could be that.

And hammering home to our orcish pupils why you NEVER, EVER NEGOTIATE WITH DEMONS ON YOUR OWN, THIS WILL BE YOU.

Totally in love with the idea.

She probably won't be that disruptive. I mean, yeah, it's a giant snake, giant snakes are cool, giant snakes sometimes do giant snake things. But unless it starts actively eating the ingredients (or students) or knocking over delicate lab equipment (possibly including Palm), any disruption should only last until the novelty wears off. I mean, they all want to learn potions, right? It's hard to be too badly disrupted if you're studying something you actually want to learn.

Then just test how she fares, and how disruptive she actually is. If she slows down progress, I say no.

That'd make Redding sad, though.

Besides, we might get some more insight out of vampire lady.

We don't want to kill Trevor. Just leave him without power and credibility. And so Redding's hearth is not broken.

Ooh. Interesting.

I think all the mighty clans were allied with the Kinkaids, so they're probably kind of friendly with each other.

Do not know if it is necessary, but I like the idea. But I don't know if we will have the souls for this time-sensitive offer.

If nothing else, I'd definitely want to talk to him first to get a read on him. We might also need more than a month to get his 30 soul price together, especially if we're buying other stuff, so our goblin friend will need an answer (which is looking more and more like yes) and an interim Overboss to start running things before we have him ready.

+1 to this.

Lagoona- Good catch. I doubt all the cannon-makers are in one city, and this is supposed to be kept hush-hush regardless, but I hadn't noticed that.

I'd just ask Syzzik about where the cannons are being made.

Elves- Maybe, well, definitely, but remember that the ability to hold souls is an almost uniquely drowish trait; mortal soul cleaners basically don't exist outside the drow. That said, I have no idea how hard it is for common drow servants to learn soul cleaning; we should look into that. I'm also forced to reluctantly admit that as wealthy and powerful as we are, finding loyal servants or slaves probably shouldn't be that difficult for anything else.

We need to speak with Mable's teacher to know more about soul cleaning. Or maybe father. The only reason I want drow "slaves" is because of their soul cleaning potential.

And, about the prophecy, remember the joke about Denzel going to war again and again? Well, it is becoming more and more likely that we can just do that.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2016, 07:51:25 am »

"A ruler who wears a crown and pays no tribute to any other lord" could just be someone who doesn't pay vassalage.
They still have to wear a crown and be a ruler, but yeah, it's technically super open-ended. Also note that the actual phrasing as we heard it is "adorned by a crown" or something, so something with antlers or a head wreathed in fire might work too.

Devil's really in the details with these things.

Right now I don't think that we will need to reserve more than 20 drow. But seeing as how twenty take just a hex, I say that we reserve 100
Note that holding them may be committing to buying them, in which case this would be unwise. Otherwise, hexes are basically free so why not.

Demon-assisted euthanasia? I'm totally in. But I don't know where to start. Maybe we could start asking around less important orc clans.
Maybe also consider/ask around where dark mages usually get souls from, other than foul murder.

That's my concern. Could we eventually feed her to become a full demon of emotion? She could have her small division in Tiv's enterprise!
She's basically just a holding container, so I suspect not. Modifying her might not be out of the question, though, especially if we could track down a proper Sorrow Demon (like her mother) to do the changes.

I like the idea. How do you call the assistant girl that follows you around always? She could be that.
I swear there's a name for this that I've heard before but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Then just test how she fares, and how disruptive she actually is. If she slows down progress, I say no.
Yeah, alright.

Ooh. Interesting.

Do not know if it is necessary, but I like the idea. But I don't know if we will have the souls for this time-sensitive offer.
Might come down to how much the glass is worth, and if we do want to sell it whether we want to do so for the boxes or a gift. Or to save up for a held item.

We need to speak with Mable's teacher to know more about soul cleaning. Or maybe father. The only reason I want drow "slaves" is because of their soul cleaning potential.
Definitely. And maybe Tiv, since he's more familiar with the organization as a whole and soul cleaning as an enterprise.

And, about the prophecy, remember the joke about Denzel going to war again and again? Well, it is becoming more and more likely that we can just do that.
If we do end up as a full goblin traitor, promising her hand to a Goblin Pharaoh will be hilarious.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2016, 08:48:25 am »

Note that holding them may be committing to buying them, in which case this would be unwise. Otherwise, hexes are basically free so why not.

Oh, right. Bad business manners (that won't matter much, as they have 800, but still). So just reserve 20.

Maybe also consider/ask around where dark mages usually get souls from, other than foul murder.

Souls only come from murder or natural deaths. But I have another idea to get souls: selling enchanted gear!

We have our apprentice, the dwarf Finch, who is a master of dwarven things. And we have Starling, who can do alchemy. So, we can offer a deal: we provide the capital, and he provides the work, and we divide the souls gained evenly. We already have the enchanting table, so with metalsmithing gear we would have enough to start producing enchanted stuff.

She's basically just a holding container, so I suspect not. Modifying her might not be out of the question, though, especially if we could track down a proper Sorrow Demon (like her mother) to do the changes.

We should really see if we can do that at some point.

Definitely. And maybe Tiv, since he's more familiar with the organization as a whole and soul cleaning as an enterprise.

We should definitely ask Tiv if he needs something for his business, including soul cleaners.

If we do end up as a full goblin traitor, promising her hand to a Goblin Pharaoh will be hilarious.

Considering how things are going, we will end up marrying the goblin Pharaoh
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31