Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65391 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

We can't save anyone without Clan Ivy noticing about it (with the whole spy bussiness). At best we get a lower standing among them, at worst they execute the person we saved anyway.

Whilst Clan Ivy is still garrisoned in the city, maybe. But if we have them move out then they'll no doubt take the majority of their spies with them. We'd just have to hide her until then.

Also why not take the orphans and have them trained by our wights at a school of the dark arts.  I see no problems with this.  This is half a joke.
It'll be a long-term investment, but creating our own squad of dark battlemages would be amusing.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2016, 01:43:49 pm »

We should ask for those 7-8 artifact cannons.  If we win we can compensate him for his trouble.
I don't think that we need so many. With just one "Mythical artifact of Doom" to bring fear into our foes, would be enough. At least I don't intend to regularly use them.

I was already thinking that an official dutchy wide alchemy guild might be a good idea, who better to run it?

He is already going to profit tremendouly from the war bussiness. And if the kingdom's old laws banning most of the things just dissappear, who knows which kinds of exotic goods from Titan Rock he could import? Syzzik is going to win a lot by supporting us in this war.

Also for the whole cheaper potions business, why not only ask that healing and disease curing potions be lessened in cost (so they still make a profit of course) while narcotic or magical effect ones could be kept expensive?  Brings more good will while not damaging profits as much.

We can already lower the prices of the cartel a 10% for each four new brewers we get, up to an 80% (prices go down,but sales go up!) . This means that with 32 brewers we can lower the prices to reasonable ones without compromising our wealth nor production.

Also why not take the orphans and have them trained by our wights at a school of the dark arts.  I see no problems with this.  This is half a joke.

"Welcome to Bonedust School of Necromancy and Summoning"

"You are a Hexer, Harry!"

And other jokes.

But, seroiusly, no. We want to choose our apprentices carefully, not just picking random orphans. Orphans who will likely hate us, or at least hate Clan Ivy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:56 pm »

Fortune:
Also, per my dump on Orcish Clans, Clan Ivy likes hosting curses. You should have plenty of volunteers. Bad news is the results of this turn indicate you may need a new druid.
This occurred to me, but I assumed it wouldn't work for some reason. Let's ask for curse volunteers, then.

And find a new druid, and then get on with the procedure.

Changing the topic, you ask Spittle to teach you about Tetha's present conditions and motivations, and find the discussion enlightening, as you have never been able to acquire a written account of her recent activities.

You learn Tetha still cares deeply for the mortals of the world, but is presently in little condition to be of much help to them. She can only keep a few dozen prophets at a time, and their powers are mostly limited to making vague or minor predictions. The foretold events surrounding your daughter are supposed to drastically reverse Tetha's fortunes, but the goddess has had to compromise herself greatly to gain the resources to set whatever she is planning into motion. She is a part of a large harem of divine concubines belonging to Hammerhead, the Orcish God who endorses Clan Shark. Tetha also whores herself out to Yukmondor, a stronger deep deity who is Spittle's primary object of worship.
I would like to believe this but there is some chance she's a bitter lying whore. That said, Fortune is the subject of a universally known 75-year old prophecy, so if it's something sinister her followers would probably know about it.

Overall, I'm leaning towards accepting Fortune's death and asking her about the prophecy to get a better read on future events. Saying that out loud makes me sad, however.

Scales:
-Let's attempt to intercede directly by explaining her usefulness and gift to us, and request she be spared entirely or granted to us as a curse-bearing slave.
-If that doesn't work (asshole genocidal orcs), I approve of trying to at least reduce the severity of her sentence.
-If saving her life doesn't work, inform her that we regret this turn of events but will restore her as requested. Inquire as to her preferred form of undeath, and if she has any other final requests.
-I'd rather splurge and grab the "best" young female corpse for her and the second best for the ghoul. She gave us a really nice snake.

We can't save anyone without Clan Ivy noticing about it (with the whole spy bussiness). At best we get a lower standing among them, at worst they execute the person we saved anyway.
Whilst Clan Ivy is still garrisoned in the city, maybe. But if we have them move out then they'll no doubt take the majority of their spies with them. We'd just have to hide her until then.
When would we do that? We're being tailed at all times. I'd like to save Scales, but I think we're better off playing nice with our murderous orcs' purge than trying to go behind their back.

We should probably also reanimate Scales' sister.
Why? Do we need her for something? She's just a priest of a deity Trance doesn't like. And a druid, but we have Scales for that.
It'd be a big favor, assuming she'd rather be reanimated than go to elf heaven or whatever, and would give us a pair of sister druids, which could be pretty cool. It's definitely a potentially useful luxury rather than an immediate plan, though.

Joy's Bastard:
In explaining this, you reveal that you had a demon mucking about with Joy's soul to Redding, but the two of you employ deception to keep the man calm by fooling him into thinking the procedure was a safe one.
"Oh, that makes sense. I mean, it's not like you'd feed your daughter's soul to a demon if there was any danger involved."
*cough* *sputter* *clears throat* "Erm, clearly."

I approve of tracking down the father. We don't need to give it to him or anything, but it'd be nice for him to know both parents, assuming the father is even interested.

Claiming Joy had a miscarriage seems relatively harmless, I guess? I don't want to have to hide the baby, though, so we might want to make up a story about finding it in a cave or something. If we get the father, the other obvious option would be to claim he brought the newborn with him.

Executions:
Also, I made the numbers of this genocide, and they are executing 161 people, so they are giving us a 25% of the soul share. I don't like that, but I guess that we can't negotiate.
They're a souleating clan, and they're doing all the work. I'd say a quarter is a pretty generous and deferential amount just cuz we're here.

Now I feel so bad for those children! I don't know what to do.

Personally curse all of the children with Tiv's memory loss about what happened. It's the least we can do to help those innocent beings. If anybody has any idea about what to do with the orphans, please tell. The only idea I have is to send them to some kind of priestly order.
It'll be a long-term investment, but creating our own squad of dark battlemages would be amusing.
"Welcome to Bonedust School of Necromancy and Summoning"

"You are a Hexer, Harry!"

And other jokes.

But, seroiusly, no. We want to choose our apprentices carefully, not just picking random orphans. Orphans who will likely hate us, or at least hate Clan Ivy.
Worst case, Clan Ivy will take them.

Bear in mind that dark magic isn't terribly useful in direct combat, else I would have suggested openly secretly training mercenaries at our cave for money.

...we could see if they have any skill with potions. Worst case, they're orphans with a shitty job. Best case, they become cartel employees with knowledge of secret meatbrewing recipes, and prices in town normalize more. We've also come into possession of several new properties, so we've probably got someplace nice to store them. House them, I mean.

I'd rather not muck about trying to whitewash their memories, though.

Claim the souls of all the mages and the enchanters, if possible. Tiv will like that.
Yeah. They might want some for just that reason, though.

Also, claim the soul of Smith Joss. We are going to use his knowledge, and probably his handwriting, to send false messages to the prince. He is to be left mostly untouched on those two aspects. Otherwise, everything is fine.

-Question Smith Joss about what he wanted to know from Mason. And how did he contact the Prince. And about any kind of larger plot.
Huehuehuehuehue.

Though again, there could be a hefty delay while we wait for his soul to be cleaned. We might want to request he be spared as a valuable asset, and possibly one or all of his family as leverage in the use of our new toy. Especially if we end up on some variation of Denzel's side based on the Tetha thing; I assume that's where this leads eventually.

Use the least physically fit corpse for the sacrifice. The old orc lady comes to mind.

-Question the kobolds about what did they know from us, and about the means they used to contact that guy at Cleanriver County.

-A fit and handsome human male, to be preserved for our husband. If we have any means of preservation that still allows for the corpse to move properly, it would be better that way.

Not an interrogation, but I feel that it is somewhat correct:
-Have a chat with Captain Trevor Wikes. Explain to him that things are going to get better for the mercenaries, as we are working with the Cartel to lower the prices. So, basically, by not trusting Redding and plotting Syzzik's death, he ended with his life and those of his company.
These all sound good, but there's been no indication the Cartel is getting better and we're moving slowly on that even now, plus there's probably a dozen other reasons to have Syzzik killed. I see no reason to gloat over Wikes about not assassinating a fairly ruthless man responsible for some pretty objective harm to the town in general and Wikes' profession in particular.

We may want to ask Redding if he wants Wikes returned, though I suspect with his men dead there's not a ton of point to that. And, as we figured out earlier, each coherently returned soul costs us quite a few dumb zombies.

Final Thing: Let's ask Shaleheart about Null. We won't need interrogators for that part.

Cannons:
I fully expect this to follow the arc Syzzik predicts, and even if it doesn't we've got a LOT of divine and demonic fuckery going on. I say we accept his offer. Both of his offers, in fact.

I feel bad for making him spend his whole fortune. Let's just get one big badass artifact cannon, and a bunch of regular cannons. It's not like we want to actually level all the castles across the Kingdom.
We should ask for those 7-8 artifact cannons.  If we win we can compensate him for his trouble.
I don't think that we need so many. With just one "Mythical artifact of Doom" to bring fear into our foes, would be enough. At least I don't intend to regularly use them.
By the time they arrive, I suspect things will have escalated that we'll be glad to have 7-8 artifact cannons, if not against castles then against risen demonic gods or something.

Plus, I'd rather not screw around with them. They arrive, we blow a castle to splinters and take control of its county (loosely, as we have no castle to rule it from), and roll on to the next castle before our enemies have time to properly adapt to or sabotage us. A single cannon would be handy, but it'd just be another effective weapon to aid us under certain circumstances, not a gamebreaker.

Syzzik is also quite willing to part with his fortune for two reasons. One, as mentioned, he knows he's right. He's willing to take a risk and suffer the consequences if he's wrong. Two, if we actually seize the throne with these things he'll probably be well compensated indeed. We could shower him with money as a start, but best case his daughter could end up ruling her own County or be married to a Duke or something. He knows damned well that getting in good with us is worth the risk.

Oh, and three: If we don't need them for whatever reason, he'll be able to find other uses for them. Possibly at a loss, but I guarantee if he gets his hands on enough firepower to reduce a castle to rubble in 45 minutes, he will not sit glumly on his useless chunks of metal regretting his purchase.

Misc:
Recomfort Wednesday, and tell her that it was not her fault. We still trust her a lot.
Yup. New assignment: see if she can learn anything about snooping from Ivy's agents, or if their talent over hers is mostly divine.

Unrelated: I find it absolutely hilarious how after finding the Mayor's tails, we never considered checking out ourselves or anyone else. D'oh!

Schedule will be like this: potion teaching on the morning, dark arts teaching on the afternoon. Excluding weekends.
Seems a bit packed, doesn't it? Even if we're not involved, our potion students are still employees. I guess they're hideously incompetent employees at the moment, though, especially if we throw a dozen orphans into the mix.

We should make sure we're willing to spend a LOT of time teaching dark apprentices and/or that our wights are willing and able to handle it, though.

-By this time, I'm so fed up with Palm, that I'd rather arrange an accident for her. I don't even want her soul, but I guess that Tiv would accept it anyway, so there is no need not to curse her. Hell, we may even want to be frank with Peat or at least hint if he would like to get rid of her.
I'm not nearly as opposed to this as I usually am to open murder, but she's still a veteran orcish meat brewer. Letting her be a universally reviled teacher in possession of valuable knowledge strikes me as a better option. Maybe give her students extra treats or something to counterbalance the abuse.

Send Virgil with the Valkirie to inspect that vault. Consult things with Fortune first, just in case.
Absolutely. Make sure they have anything else they need as well.

She has also made friends with three enforcers, three elite rangers, a scourge, and a blood shaman who she informs you will be the first of the Clan Ivy orcs presently under your roof to give their lives for your cause. Fortune implores you to bless her new friends, so that they may take many of your enemies with you. She doesn't go so far as to ask, but implies that it would be neat if you brought one or two of them back afterward so that she may learn how they fared.
Let's take Fortune up on her request to bless these ones, and soul curse one or two to be brought back. No doubt we'll have plenty of volunteers, or even the orcs themselves might be able and willing to bear several noncombat curses for improved glory in death.

Knowing Ivy Orcs, I suspect we might even want to make a public speech about it. The participants should be pretty okay with it, at least, and might have some preferences about who gets brought back for Fortune.

Hopelessly unaware of human romantic protocol, all the male orcs in the group, as well as Tonsil's daughter Femur, offer to tend to your needs until you find one or more new regular mates to pair off with. This is more a courtesy commonly provided by some orcish clans than an expressed intrest in a relationship, but on the other hand, both Krait (who thinks such an arrangement will inspire him to perform better at his new job) and Narrows (who notes your importance to the clan and figures close ties to you benefit him) bluntly offer longer term open relationships as well as their motivation for seeking them.
Um. I'm assuming we don't want to bang orcs, but I'm not opposed to it if anybody wants us to expand our harem.

-Unrelated to anything else, we should let Starling out for a bit at night to see if he can get us any omens, and inquire as to how his alchemy works, what he can do with it, and what he'd need to do it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »

So what are the plans again?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 23, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »

Fortune:
Also, per my dump on Orcish Clans, Clan Ivy likes hosting curses. You should have plenty of volunteers. Bad news is the results of this turn indicate you may need a new druid.
This occurred to me, but I assumed it wouldn't work for some reason. Let's ask for curse volunteers, then.

And find a new druid, and then get on with the procedure.

+1. Although I'd rather have Scales do it, and I don't mind waiting a week or so for it. We aren't going to need the soul totally intact, so I don't think that the procedure will take months.

Overall, I'm leaning towards accepting Fortune's death and asking her about the prophecy to get a better read on future events. Saying that out loud makes me sad, however.

To be fair, I'm feeling the same way like you. But maybe Fortune will be happier as an undead. Maybe we should ask her the kind of undeath she desires.

Scales:
-Let's attempt to intercede directly by explaining her usefulness and gift to us, and request she be spared entirely or granted to us as a curse-bearing slave.
-If that doesn't work (asshole genocidal orcs), I approve of trying to at least reduce the severity of her sentence.
-If saving her life doesn't work, inform her that we regret this turn of events but will restore her as requested. Inquire as to her preferred form of undeath, and if she has any other final requests.
-I'd rather splurge and grab the "best" young female corpse for her and the second best for the ghoul. She gave us a really nice snake.

I feel like asking for her alive is pushing things a bit too far. These may be asshole genocidal orcs, but were delicate enough not to use nails to fasten them to wooden crosses. Asking for so much may seem disrespectful.

Otherwise, I guess that asking which kind of undeath she desires won't do much, as she seems pretty ignorant on that, but I guess that it doens't harm us.

And I suppose that the "best" body for her would be a nice compensation. It's true, the snake was a nice gift.

When would we do that? We're being tailed at all times. I'd like to save Scales, but I think we're better off playing nice with our murderous orcs' purge than trying to go behind their back.

Totally agree.

We should probably also reanimate Scales' sister.
Why? Do we need her for something? She's just a priest of a deity Trance doesn't like. And a druid, but we have Scales for that.
It'd be a big favor, assuming she'd rather be reanimated than go to elf heaven or whatever, and would give us a pair of sister druids, which could be pretty cool. It's definitely a potentially useful luxury rather than an immediate plan, though.

Let's leave this as something optional. Remember that the orcs just hate her deity, so they may not want us to reanimate her. I'd rather not delve into that.

Joy's Bastard:
I approve of tracking down the father. We don't need to give it to him or anything, but it'd be nice for him to know both parents, assuming the father is even interested.

We can easily contact mother via Tiv to ask her to look for the father. In fact, let's do that the next time we have a chat with Tiv.

Claiming Joy had a miscarriage seems relatively harmless, I guess? I don't want to have to hide the baby, though, so we might want to make up a story about finding it in a cave or something. If we get the father, the other obvious option would be to claim he brought the newborn with him.

Inviting the goblin nobleman may be a bit too much, with Redding being right here. Otherwise, I support the idea of the miscarriage.

Bear in mind that dark magic isn't terribly useful in direct combat

Yep, another good reason not to train them in that.

...we could see if they have any skill with potions. Worst case, they're orphans with a shitty job. Best case, they become cartel employees with knowledge of secret meatbrewing recipes, and prices in town normalize more. We've also come into possession of several new properties, so we've probably got someplace nice to store them. House them, I mean.

I don't know where is the thin line between taking care of them, and exploiting child labour. But we have done worse things so far. Like enslaving souls. So they get to keep their lives and their free wills, which I think is a good enough outcome when dealing with us.

Claim the souls of all the mages and the enchanters, if possible. Tiv will like that.
Yeah. They might want some for just that reason, though.

They don't seem to be using the souls for necromancy (because there are not dark mages in Clan Ivy). They ultimately devour the souls that they get, or make more demon thingies, or something like that. So they value more quantity over quality, I think.
Though again, there could be a hefty delay while we wait for his soul to be cleaned. We might want to request he be spared as a valuable asset, and possibly one or all of his family as leverage in the use of our new toy. Especially if we end up on some variation of Denzel's side based on the Tetha thing; I assume that's where this leads eventually.

I don't know if we can go so far, but I'm not opposed to this. I don't mind the hefty delay right now. We have more important matters to attend to.

Final Thing: Let's ask Shaleheart about Null. We won't need interrogators for that part.

I'm going to +1 this because this doens't seem to harm us in any way.

if not against castles then against risen demonic gods or something.

Now this is another thing. Yeah, I support all the firepower possible. We are going to get into divine combat at some point. If we side with Tetha, we may want to slay other gods. If not, we may need to burst holes into some demon or another. Hell, imagine how many demons will surrender to us unconditionally once we point at them with seven of those beasts?

Plus, I'd rather not screw around with them. They arrive, we blow a castle to splinters and take control of its county (loosely, as we have no castle to rule it from), and roll on to the next castle before our enemies have time to properly adapt to or sabotage us. A single cannon would be handy, but it'd just be another effective weapon to aid us under certain circumstances, not a gamebreaker.

I still think of them more as an incentive to not mess with us rather than actual weapons of castle destruction. Mainly because I like castles.

Misc:
Recomfort Wednesday, and tell her that it was not her fault. We still trust her a lot.
Yup. New assignment: see if she can learn anything about snooping from Ivy's agents, or if their talent over hers is mostly divine.

They will notice her. They are the godamn masters of espionage. A better solution would be to just ask them. I have a mission for Wednesday below when I discuss an alternative to killing Palm.

Schedule will be like this: potion teaching on the morning, dark arts teaching on the afternoon. Excluding weekends.
Seems a bit packed, doesn't it? Even if we're not involved, our potion students are still employees. I guess they're hideously incompetent employees at the moment, though, especially if we throw a dozen orphans into the mix.

We should make sure we're willing to spend a LOT of time teaching dark apprentices and/or that our wights are willing and able to handle it, though.

Our wights are willing, I think. And we could schedule things alternating days. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we teach Dark Arts during the afternoon, while we teach potioncraft Tuesday and Thursday mornings, with Palm covering us the mornings when we are not present, just like the wights will do their part.

-By this time, I'm so fed up with Palm, that I'd rather arrange an accident for her. I don't even want her soul, but I guess that Tiv would accept it anyway, so there is no need not to curse her. Hell, we may even want to be frank with Peat or at least hint if he would like to get rid of her.
I'm not nearly as opposed to this as I usually am to open murder, but she's still a veteran orcish meat brewer. Letting her be a universally reviled teacher in possession of valuable knowledge strikes me as a better option. Maybe give her students extra treats or something to counterbalance the abuse.

I think that the whole physical punishment is bad if we want the brewers to actually learn something, so I have an idea:

We have Wednesday steal something from Palm, and curse her with our father's curse of being bad at torturing (I mean, being unbable to properly cause suffering, I guess?), and then we can let her teach as much as she wants. Problem solved, and everything is fixed.

She has also made friends with three enforcers, three elite rangers, a scourge, and a blood shaman who she informs you will be the first of the Clan Ivy orcs presently under your roof to give their lives for your cause. Fortune implores you to bless her new friends, so that they may take many of your enemies with you. She doesn't go so far as to ask, but implies that it would be neat if you brought one or two of them back afterward so that she may learn how they fared.
Let's take Fortune up on her request to bless these ones, and soul curse one or two to be brought back. No doubt we'll have plenty of volunteers, or even the orcs themselves might be able and willing to bear several noncombat curses for improved glory in death.

Knowing Ivy Orcs, I suspect we might even want to make a public speech about it. The participants should be pretty okay with it, at least, and might have some preferences about who gets brought back for Fortune.

+1
Hopelessly unaware of human romantic protocol, all the male orcs in the group, as well as Tonsil's daughter Femur, offer to tend to your needs until you find one or more new regular mates to pair off with. This is more a courtesy commonly provided by some orcish clans than an expressed intrest in a relationship, but on the other hand, both Krait (who thinks such an arrangement will inspire him to perform better at his new job) and Narrows (who notes your importance to the clan and figures close ties to you benefit him) bluntly offer longer term open relationships as well as their motivation for seeking them.
Um. I'm assuming we don't want to bang orcs, but I'm not opposed to it if anybody wants us to expand our harem.

I don't. And I don't want to expand our anything. Considering the amount of time and effort it took Syzzik to court us, it would be inconsistent if we agree to any of these orcs.

Unrelated to anything else, we should let Starling out for a bit at night to see if he can get us any omens, and inquire as to how his alchemy works, what he can do with it, and what he'd need to do it.
+1. And I think that alchemy means transmutation of materials, and I already suggested sending it to the cave to help to transmute any materials they would need.

As for plans:

Have a conference call with Tiv and family: explain what happened to Joy and how is she, the probabilities of the baby being half-goblin, our interest in knowing who is its father (I'm saying "it" because we don't know the gender, not because of some kind of racism).

Also talk with Tiv about how his bussiness is already getting better, with the influx of forty souls.

Buy enough scrap souls to reanimate all the bodies (excluding the ones we selected to be vessels of specific souls), but not inside the city. We should move the bodies to the cave before attempting necromancy.

Work on preserving the bodies we selected for specific souls if we know how to.

Arrenge whatever is necessary to start the brewing and dark arts classes I'm leaning towards the alternate days schedule, with other teachers to help us.

And whatever you guys can come up with.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »

So what are the plans again?
Which plans? There's lots of plans.

Although I'd rather have Scales do it, and I don't mind waiting a week or so for it. We aren't going to need the soul totally intact, so I don't think that the procedure will take months.
I'd feel bad if we "brought her back" less than perfect, though.

But maybe Fortune will be happier as an undead. Maybe we should ask her the kind of undeath she desires.
Yeah. Hopefully she won't say unicorn. :P

I feel like asking for her alive is pushing things a bit too far. These may be asshole genocidal orcs, but were delicate enough not to use nails to fasten them to wooden crosses. Asking for so much may seem disrespectful.

I don't know if we can go so far, but I'm not opposed to this. I don't mind the hefty delay right now. We have more important matters to attend to.
I agree that they've been very accommodating as far as brutal purges go, and that we shouldn't push them too far. But I was thinking of a respectful request with a well-explained motive and no attempts at pressure, so they hopefully wouldn't feel put off by saying no, that's not a good reason, onto the cross with them.

For the smith, my concern with the delay is that it'll look suspicious if he misses his monthly report or doesn't pick up his orders or something.

Otherwise, I guess that asking which kind of undeath she desires won't do much, as she seems pretty ignorant on that, but I guess that it doens't harm us.

And I suppose that the "best" body for her would be a nice compensation. It's true, the snake was a nice gift.
We could explain the differences to her, make some suggestions if she's totally lost.

Also it amusingly occurs to me that we can literally just bring her back in her own body. She might or might not appreciate an upgrade anyway (taking her sister's snooty elven body would be hilarious).

Let's leave this as something optional. Remember that the orcs just hate her deity, so they may not want us to reanimate her. I'd rather not delve into that.
Fair enough.

Hell, imagine how many demons will surrender to us unconditionally once we point at them with seven of those beasts?
Hm. I wonder how feasible summoning demons into a hostage chamber is?

I still think of them more as an incentive to not mess with us rather than actual weapons of castle destruction. Mainly because I like castles.
Heh, fair enough.

They will notice her. They are the godamn masters of espionage. A better solution would be to just ask them. I have a mission for Wednesday below when I discuss an alternative to killing Palm.
I meant just ask them, and have them teach/train her if they're able and willing. I would like to get another task ready for her if that one doesn't take very long, though.

Our wights are willing, I think. And we could schedule things alternating days. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we teach Dark Arts during the afternoon, while we teach potioncraft Tuesday and Thursday mornings, with Palm covering us the mornings when we are not present, just like the wights will do their part.
Yeah, alright. This sounds good.

I think that the whole physical punishment is bad if we want the brewers to actually learn something, so I have an idea:

We have Wednesday steal something from Palm, and curse her with our father's curse of being bad at torturing (I mean, being unbable to properly cause suffering, I guess?), and then we can let her teach as much as she wants. Problem solved, and everything is fixed.
I agree it's bad for them, but remember that her and Peat are the only two qualified meat brewers we know of, and Peat's not a very good teacher unless you have some kind of weird orcish potion training or instinct or something, and maybe not even then.

I feel like crippling her ability to do harm will be a really noticeable, enjoyment-destroying thing for her, which will in turn cripple her desire to actually do her job. I think we need to either accept her offer, figure out something else to bribe or threaten her with, or try to curse/bless her in a way that reduces her desire to inflict harm, rather than her ability.

Given that she hates everyone and is past the age where clan orcs are expected to have disposed of themselves, threatening her may be difficult. Given that she hates everyone and is past the age where clan orcs are expected to have disposed of themselves, bribing her may be difficult. That leaves asking around the various shamans or digging through our curse repertoire.

And I think that alchemy means transmutation of materials, and I already suggested sending it to the cave to help to transmute any materials they would need.
Yeah, good idea. We'll probably still need the log and the base metals from somewhere, but a few bars of lead or whatever should be much easier and cheaper than, what, half a bar of gold and two of silver?

Have a conference call with Tiv and family: explain what happened to Joy and how is she, the probabilities of the baby being half-goblin, our interest in knowing who is its father (I'm saying "it" because we don't know the gender, not because of some kind of racism).

Also talk with Tiv about how his bussiness is already getting better, with the influx of forty souls.

Buy enough scrap souls to reanimate all the bodies (excluding the ones we selected to be vessels of specific souls), but not inside the city. We should move the bodies to the cave before attempting necromancy.

Work on preserving the bodies we selected for specific souls if we know how to.

Arrenge whatever is necessary to start the brewing and dark arts classes I'm leaning towards the alternate days schedule, with other teachers to help us.

And whatever you guys can come up with.
+1 to all this.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2016, 12:29:44 am »

The best use of the cannons would be to completely devastate a major fortress without warning only when we need it.

Edit: Imagine the crown turns against us, we jump out with the cannons through the portal at a major fortress on the goblin war front, blast it down to rubble in a day then leave.  That kind of message could bring them to sue for peace alone.

Remember that we get all that land also possibly, we should send Caddor to do a look about what we actually stand to gain.

I second the potion brewing class/dark arts class scheduled.

86 zombies isn't much compared to armies of thousands but it is something I guess.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:31:45 am by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2016, 12:33:34 am »

For now let us memory curse the orphans, put them somewhere safe and we can look through them for potential later.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2016, 01:54:12 am »

Edit: Imagine the crown turns against us, we jump out with the cannons through the portal at a major fortress on the goblin war front, blast it down to rubble in a day then leave.  That kind of message could bring them to sue for peace alone.
Well, that or declare us goblin-aligned traitors to all mankind.

But yeah, a powerful message either way.

Remember that we get all that land also possibly, we should send Caddor to do a look about what we actually stand to gain.
We should just go ourselves. Otherwise it'll be Caddor giving us a report on the report he got.

86 zombies isn't much compared to armies of thousands but it is something I guess.
Yeah. We should probably check how powerful they are/will be, and how much weapons or armor would help with that.

Speaking of which, should we keep that wight we raised on us or send him to the cave to spar with the knights?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2016, 07:16:39 am »

Although I'd rather have Scales do it, and I don't mind waiting a week or so for it. We aren't going to need the soul totally intact, so I don't think that the procedure will take months.
I'd feel bad if we "brought her back" less than perfect, though.
There should be plenty of things to remove that aren't going to be useful for her. Like cooking. But maybe we should discuss it with Tiv. We don't even know if Tiv is going to let us just come and say "Hey, I want this special order" and deliver it to us in normal prices.

I agree that they've been very accommodating as far as brutal purges go, and that we shouldn't push them too far. But I was thinking of a respectful request with a well-explained motive and no attempts at pressure, so they hopefully wouldn't feel put off by saying no, that's not a good reason, onto the cross with them.

Oh, then it is fine. I don't want to piss off the orcs, it's just that.

For the smith, my concern with the delay is that it'll look suspicious if he misses his monthly report or doesn't pick up his orders or something.

Not if the report says that he had to stay low because of the Ivy clan.

We could explain the differences to her, make some suggestions if she's totally lost.
Fair enough, but I'd rather not choose anything that requires maintenance.

Also it amusingly occurs to me that we can literally just bring her back in her own body.

We can just ask her, I guess.

Hm. I wonder how feasible summoning demons into a hostage chamber is?

I like the way you think. Maybe with Virgil's help we can create some kind of structure.

I meant just ask them, and have them teach/train her if they're able and willing.

Oh, then yes, +1

Palm Problem

So, we ask the shamans? We discuss with Dean or the goblin hexers if they have any kind of curse that helps?

We'll probably still need the log
Just send a not doomed orc with an axe to fell a nearby tree.

and the base metals from somewhere
We send Caddor shopping? Or just scavenge scrap lying around.

EDIT:

Well, that or declare us goblin-aligned traitors to all mankind.

But yeah, a powerful message either way.

Our family holds the goblin front. If we can convince them, we can switch sides and move the goblin front up to Tradewind Duchy.

We should just go ourselves. Otherwise it'll be Caddor giving us a report on the report he got.
Yep.

Speaking of which, should we keep that wight we raised on us or send him to the cave to spar with the knights?

I like it more as a personal enforcer, but I don't care much about where it ends.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2016, 09:55:50 am »

@Tomcost: Tiv will usually give you a special order for one soul more than it would normally sell for.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 7th Day:

Saturday

You turn down all the romantic offers posed by Tonsil's clique, but socialize with them for a while longer. You will have to carefully consider just how close a friendship you want to develop with these soldiers; Orcs will walk through hell or high water for friends and kin, but expect the same in return.

When Fortune tells you about her friends, you decide to indulge her. Each is given two minor curses from Tivavarav, including the soul taker, to support a blessing that each would find useful. You then ask around amoung the doomed orcs as to which form of undeath they might prefer. The scourge promptly declines your offer, noting that it is the sacred duty of Clan Ivy to feed demons, not to return as undead, and he manages to convince most of the others to take the same position. One of the enforcers, however, states that he would like to become a Wight once his options are explained to him.

While the topic of undeath is at hand, you ask Fortune what she would prefer, noting that as much as it pains you, you are strongly considering accepting her fate to make the most of it. This statement prompts a smile, and some new information, out of your daughter. "I... I'm not sure. I have time to figure that out. I'm going to live until at least my fourteenth birthday... but will die no later than my thirty-fourth. Right now my only talent is making potions, and that isn't going to be helped or hindered by any particular state of undeath... Well perhaps I could benefit from being a Chimeric Abomination with a bunch of extra arms... but I'm not sure I want to be that freaky."

Your daughter then adds that aside from her age, there are two other circumstances foreseen regarding her death. One of them is that her death will allow Tetha to perform a truly mighty miracle. The final circumstance is one you have a good deal of control over, and as such Fortune refuses to share it with you unless you promise not to interfere, but adds that if the snake experiment pays off, she wouldn't mind you trying to delay for a decade or two. You promise to think about it, and give a final answer later. If you were to share this information with Pogpugrooog, it might set her on the right path to finding more out for you.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 8th Day:

Sunday

Before you leave to visit Mogpan, you send Snakeyes and Virgil, as well as ten Typhoon Swarm orcs for their protection, to check out the vault discovered by Count Gulf.

---

At Mogpan you are struck by a brilliant idea, and accept Palm's offer. As you shake her hand, you weave two curses onto the old Orc's soul. One from your father, to render her ineffective at tormenting others, and one from Yaas, to cause Peat's mother to perceive all her attempts at torture as successful ones.

---

You place your free hand ontop of Syzzik's and give it a squeeze. "Very well. The cannons are intriguing, as is your other offer," you reply while returning the merchant's grin, "you have my blessing to proceed on both fronts."

The merchant lifts your hand to his mouth to plant a kiss on it, before pulling you in to do the same to your cheek. You get up and move your chair to sit next to him, and Syzzik strokes your hair. He refuses to take things any further for the moment, noting that it would be a shame to set any further relationship or intimacy milestones in a setting as unromantic as his office.

He notes that he will take care of the cannon business, but that you have one significant choice to make on the matter. "I think I can keep this little purchase of ours quiet, but to ensure that is the case, I'm going to have to see that some serious hush money is thrown around Titan Rock. If you choose to do this, it will likely cost us a significant amount of my purchasing power, and likely a cannon or two."

He shrugs, "The current king spent some of his youth kicking around Titan Rock, and he is still fairly well connected there. If I don't invest otherwise, I'm sure he will find out what we are up to at some point. That said, by the time he does get word, it may be too late for him to organize a proper response, and even then his options are limited. The crown has no legal authority there, and my merchant ships are faster than most of his war-fleet so he'd have to get pretty damn lucky to catch them in transit. My order should completely tie up those who make artifact cannons, so if he wanted to order his own, he would have to wait until ours are done and then a year and a half on top of that."

Syzzik squeezes your shoulder, and offers another grin. "With that in mind, my love, there are benefits to letting word get out. Ambition such as mine is not uncommon in my homeland. There are plenty of people who would see a rebellious and wrathful Duchess purchasing enough firepower to hand the kingdom its rear end as an opportunity worth investing in. If you find somebody capable and trustworthy of running your affairs here by then, we could go to Titan Rock in two or three months, to drum up some support. It would be both beneficial and enjoyable."

---

You make a carefully worded and no-pressure added attempt to convince Confessor Rash to spare Scales. Rash declines, but points out the two elite rangers at Groghall who are also practicing Druids, one of whom you note ranks among the doomed soldiers that your daughter has already befriended. Your next bid is an attempt to have the Druid's execution changed from crucifixion and poison to hanging. Confessor Rash finds this acceptable, and agrees to send word to the executioners.

Next you ask that Rash's interrogators find out the logistics of both the smith's and the Koblod's operations, only to find that she has already done just that. Joss was extracting updates regarding Fortune's health and mental well being from Mason, who he controlled by threatening the soul of his late daughter, which was provided to him sealed in a ruby by one of the Prince's mercenaries. The information obtained was sent by rider across the border to Cleanriver County, and would be handed over to a soldier who would deliver it to an unknown person at Cleanriver Castle. Rash notes that the Soul of Mason's daughter was claimed from Joss' business, as were several other souls trapped in minerals by enchantment, and per tradition they will be fed to the Chieftess or one of Trance's demonic servants. She has no issue, however, allowing you to swap one the forty condemned souls for it.

The Kobolds used stealthy runners to relay messages to a man named Niles who works the counter at the largest butcher shop in Six Shrine City. You are familiar with the middle-man in question; Niles is the son of one of Sylvester's chefs, and one of Chasity's friends/pawns. He is also said to be one of Countess Charlotte Marlowe's many lovers. The Kobolds were sending back detailed reports on the movements of the people they were snooping on.

After Rash departs, Wenesday shares a thought with you. "I spotted those Kobolds tailing Gregory shortly after we got here... and didn't see any snooping around Groghall. The ones following you might be a recent development, but it is possible your daughter and her friends... they might have been involved in the mayor's business for some time before your arrival!"

You thank the Ghoul for her insight, and reassure her that she is of great value to you. You then move to track down Redding, which takes you until well past midnight.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 9th Day:

Monday

Redding is found at a seedy bar on the riverbank, trying to talk down a few clearly pissed off individuals. He spots your approach, and waves you away, so you wait fifteen minutes for him to finish. When you finally talk to your son-in-law, you find the man distraught.

"Shit Maeris... Shit. Trevor Wikes is the most liked and well connected mercenary in town. The de-facto leader who settles disputes. This is very bad; Greent and I are working our asses off to talk people down, but I would not be surprised if somebody tried something stupid to spring him."

He sighs, "It gets worse than that. Trevor is my biggest business partner, my most useful contact, and one of my best friends. You remember him, right? He caused a big stir at me 'n Joy's wedding cause I let him be a groomsman even though he was lowborn. His death will break my wealth, influence, and heart. I should have just told him you were aligning with the cartel, but I knew he might do something like this; I should have known letting him find out on his own would be even worse."

"...Should I arrange for him to be brought back?"

Redding ponders the implications for a second before answering, "I'd appreciate it. It might even be necessary if the mercs get out of hand and you need to calm them down. Hell, if you can swing his whole squad, it might be a good start towards getting on their good graces again. Your name will be mud to the sellswords once the charges are read, and they find that you were aligned with Syzzik, and that Trevor is dying because he tried to put a stop to that."

You promise to get Trevor back, but inform Redding that the rest of the squad might be a bit of a stretch.

---

Early in the morning you visit the prisoners. You first inform Scales that you intend to keep your word, and will see her brought back. You explain the types of undeath available to her, and she requests ghoul, vampire if you wish to splurge. They are best at passing for mortal, and scales firmly intends to get back into business.

You then ask about her mother and sister. She wouldn't mind you helping out her dear old mum, but informs you that her sister is one of the people she thought might kill her, and that there is no love lost between them.

Next you approach Trevor, and attempt to both explain both the situation and his choices in undeath. The condemned mercenary is having none of it, however, and cuts you off by spitting in your face. He informs you that Syzzik is the most wicked man in the city, if not the kingdom, and that you are a monster for aligning with him. Mr. Wikes then defiantly declares that his plot would have been against your life instead of his if you were not kin to his friend Redding. Despite his lack of cooperation, you grab his arm and apply the ol' 'soul goes to Tivavarav' curse anyway. He will be more docile once raised, and said resurrection may be unavoidable if what Redding says is true.

You are then approached by a middle aged Blood Shaman, who informs you that he is the enchanter responsible for sealing the souls of the condemned in small cubes of lead as they are killed. He will stand at your side during the executions, so that you may point out the ones you want as they are presented. You may also step forward and stop the execution of whomever you want for your animation table. The services of this enchanter could prove to be a good windfall for you; If you have physical possession of a sealed away soul, you can send it to any demon via the summoning circle, not just the ones with soul-extraction hexes.

---

You hit the market before noon, with Caddor at your side, to purchase what you need to repair the cave. The gold is expensive, the log less so, and you can just use your currency directly to meet the silver requirement. Once the goblin confirms you are recieving fair prices on the log and gold, you pay the merchants and send for Groghall Orcs to move the goods where they need to go.

Assuming you pick up a victim for the animation table at the execution, the Cave will be ready for students come Wednesday.

---

In the center of town at noon, you are present for the reading of charges and executions. Confessor Rash is set to preside over the situation, but before she can begin, a large crowd of armed mercenaries marches into town center. They are lead by your step-grandson Greent Strongcurrent. Redding buries his face in his hands; It would seem the boy lied about helping to talk the mercenaries down.

"I command these proceedings be stopped at once!" Greent calls out at Rash. You note the wide grin on his face is eerily similar to that of cat playing with a mouse. "The rights of the condemned have been violated! These executions are unlawful!"

"Pah!" Rash snorts, "You are lucky you are not dying with them, but I wouldn't press my luck if I were you. These proceedings are not being conducted under the laws of your Kingdom, but under the laws of Clan Ivy!"

"I am well aware of that, but you made an error. It is perfectly acceptable to apply Orcish Clan Law on neutral ground," Greent admits, grin unyielding, "but when doing so, per the high common law of the Clan System itself, the law of the defendant's clan must be respected as well."

Rash's green face goes pale. You know enough about orcish legal practices to know that Greent speaks the truth. A lump forms in your stomach at the realization sets in that Redding's son may well be in a good position make a fool out of your new ally.

The boy continues, and you can tell he is clearly enjoying making one of the most feared Orcs alive squirm. "It just so happens that the Orcess Lash," he says with a gesture towards Scale's mother, "was born into clan Scarab."

He then swings his finger around, and gestures at a half-orc mercenary, one of Trevor's men. "Yussief here has two offspring born to a mother from Clan Scarab, and as a result, has been deemed kin of the clan."

You frown. Clan Scarab is an old clan, directly descended from the old Savannah Orcs. They still keep plenty of rarely used Savannah Orc laws. You wrack your brain, reviewing your impressive knowledge of the largely extinct Savannah Orc legal system, and after a few moments Greent's play dawns on you just as he joyfully explains it to an infuriated Rash.

"As it turns out, Clan Scarab has one of my very favorite laws on the books; Defendants in cases where the death sentence is a possible outcome have the right to request trial by combat!"

Pushing his way to the front of the crowd, Greent climbs onto the stage and drapes an arm across Rash's shoulders in mock affection. "You did remember to inform the condemned of this right, correct?"

For a few seconds, there is silence, and then a defeated answer of "...no."

Greent then makes a big show out of asking Scale's mother and the halfbreed mercenary if they would like to invoke their new-found right. They both hastily agree. As this is happening, you work out the kicker to Greent's scheme. To knock the boy down a peg, you decide to cut him off and explain it for him.

"Victory in trial by combat means exoneration," you inform those gathered in the most neutral tone you can muster, "and the two invoking their right to stand such a trial are accused of association with criminals, so if they are exonerated, neither Scales nor Mr. Wikes can be considered criminals either. What the boy proposes is two duels to judge the lives of forty one defendants."

"Our wise Duchess speaks the truth!" Greent explains, before sauntering over and whispering into your ear, "but that isn't even the best part, mum."

"Both defendants will require champions. The Orc is old, and the halfbreed cannot be considered a fair match for the caliber of fighter that might be sent to represent his guilt. Both defendants have ties to the mercenary community, and said community has elected both myself, and my father Redding Strongcurrent, to select champions from among their ranks."

He then swivels, points a finger at you, and drops a bombshell with a mighty smirk. "Both defendants stand accused of wronging your cause, m'lady, therefore the role of selecting the fighters who shall represent justice falls to Duchess Maeris Riverland."

Your skin clams up and turns pale. You don't know if Greent is an agent of Chasity and the Prince, wants more power for his father and Joy, or meerly wants to save his mercenary friends and spite you for siding with the cartel, but he has just put you in one hell of a pickle. If the fighters you choose lose, you and Clan Ivy will both look weak, while Redding, Greent, and their mercenaries will look strong. Regardless of the outcome of the fights, your step-grandson will have driven a wedge between you and the local mercenary community by putting you in charge of picking their foes.

Turning to Redding, you note a look in his eyes that mixes both pride and terror. He has to know what is at stake, but with the life of his friend and power for himself hanging in the balance, there is a very strong possibility that he might throw his lot in with his son.

After a few minutes of chaos, Rash manages to regain control of the event. After a bit of back and forth it is determined that the duels will be fought on Friday, which is a feast day of an Orcish god of justice. They will be fought to the death (or destruction in case of non-living champions), and the fighters may use any gear and spells of their choosing. Satisfied, Redding's son and his mob leave, and Rash reads the charges and sentences for the prisoners not granted a reprieve by Greent, before beginning the executions.

The enchanter notes that you are still entitled to forty souls, and that you may claim them all now, or gamble and save some for the prisoners who may or may not be executed Friday.

---

The afternoon is spent going over your options for the upcoming Duels, and you quickly find that many are willing to step up on the behalf of your cause.

Glen Horton informs you that he is willing to fight to determine the fate of the mercenaries, but not the druids. His explanation is flimsy, and you are rather confident he simply wishes to spite Redding.

Peat sends word that he is offering his strongest goon, a frightening seven and a half footer simply named Kill who fights with both an axe and powerful fire magic.

Dublin Kinkaid expresses an interest in fighting for you. He would be a very good pick if the mercenaries send a divine caster, undead, or demon to fight him, but is otherwise a mediocre pick at best. Dublin notes that he could also send riders after his mother, who just left this morning, as Charlie might be willing to participate... or offer insight.

You have your own demons and undead to choose from, some of whom are quite dangerous. Should such a champion bring you victory, the win would speak more directly to your strength. The mercenaries may anticipate such a foe, however, and send inquisitors.

Tonsil tells you fighting would be a win-win for him; He could either defend the cause of his friend and kin, or die gloriously. He adds that the other members of his clique would be willing to take up arms as well, but only if he was the other fighter.

All the Groghall Soldiers, as well as the two officers, are at your disposal. Tuft notes, however, that since Redding is their charge as well, any of them not picked by you could potentially be fighting on the other side.

Syzzik would love nothing more than to use one of his powder weapons to defend your honor and be rid of 'that rotten bastard Wikes' in one fell swoop, and you don't even think your lover knows Wikes is on trial for trying to have him killed yet! Syzzik is savvy enough to know that flaunting your connect with him and the cartel might not be in your best interests, so he offers more subtle aid as well; Potions to pump up your champions before the fight.

Gregory sends word that he can send some of his stronger guardsmen to fight for you, and also offers to coerce some of the more dangerous mercenaries into not taking up arms for Greent.

As you fret over the issue, a plan 'b' begins to float around in your mind. You might be able to get Clan Ivy to hand their remaining prisoners over to the justice system of Redleaf Duchy, which consists of you (or one of your representatives) serving as judge, jury, and prosecution. Confessor Rash knows she has alot to lose should the trial by combat not go her way, but the final decision falls to High Shaman Crank, and you are not entirely comfortable negotiating with the mad-orc on such a sensitive issue.

---

Your problems continue to pile up over dinner, when thirty armed Orcs invite themselves into Groghall. Their leader introduces himself as Chieftain Half-Moon, and calmly explains that he caught ten orcs under your control, along with two human priests, running a salvage operation on his land. He demands a 33% cut of the vault's contents as ransom for the prisoners, and another 33% cut to legally obtain the right to open the vault, which is on his property.

The first thought that pops into your head is one of admiration for Chieftain Half-Moon's guts. Clan Half-Moon is one of several culturally rich yet tiny clans that make their home just across the river, in the ruins of the old South Bank neighborhood. You control the city guard, and marginally control Clan Ivy's forces in town, while this Orc's twenty nine followers likely represent at least half of his clan's military might. He is technically in the right, from the perspective of Orcish Law (you had figured if any of the ruins clans cared enough about what Virgil was up to, they would have harassed or captured him on his first visit), but he has no real means of imposing his will against your might. You even doubt any of the prisoners are in danger, it would be the death of his clan to piss of Clan Gruel by harming its warriors or guests.

He re-iterates his demand with confidence, even as you follow his eyes as they count your forces in the room. The Orcs of Groghall match his thirty warriors with thirty of their own present, and Tonsil's dangerous clique, as well as six other Elite Rangers from Clan Ivy, are dining with you tonight.

Whelp. That happened. Next turn will last until Wednesday, when the classrooms become available. If I don't see any objections, the alternate days class schedule starts then. Don't forget to decide which souls to claim from the executions, and how many you wish to hold back in case the Druids or Mercs die Friday.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2016, 11:14:51 am »

I do not understand the system.

We choose a fighter. They also choose a fighter. If the mercenaries win, they live. If the other side wins (I guess that it is Clan Ivy), the prisoners are executed.

So, on which side are we? Are we on Clan Ivy's side?

If we are with the Ivy's, I think that we could have a pseudo-diplomatic solution, but it will costs us a lot. Both in souls, and in our fame: we will look quite weak, but we can suck it, I guess.

So, this solution would be something like this:
-Suck the responsibility of all this. It is all our fault, in some way.
-Renounce to our claim of those 40 souls (they are executing 40 less people). So that Clan Ivy thinks that we are responsible enough for our actions, not any random coward.
-Have a chat with Redding, Greent, and some representatives of the mercenaries. Explain that we were working to lower the prices, but that it takes time. Offer a deal with them: we are going to tell them who we are going to choose, and that it is not going to be a really powerful adversary. This way they can choose someone that could beat it. My candidate to be the destroyed one is Rugath. He is not really the most useful minion right now. Then they are free, but have to convince Wikes that we mean a good intent. Otherwise, he can consider himself dead. We are not going to tolerate someone who wants us dead.

Half-moon management:

Invite them to dinner and discuss things calmly. Discreetly call for reinforcements and to block all exits while we discuss bussiness. Once everything is set, politely inform them that they are our prisoners, maybe while pointing Troublemaker at the chieftain's skull. Demand all of their prisoners to come back alive, and all the contents of the vault. Otherwise, we will slaughter the whole clan and steal their souls for wrongdoing us. They were not even aware that the vault existed, nor they can open it, I think. And we are pissed, and probably lacking about 40 souls.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2016, 11:24:51 am »

I do not understand the system.

We choose a fighter. They also choose a fighter. If the mercenaries win, they live. If the other side wins (I guess that it is Clan Ivy), the prisoners are executed.

So, on which side are we? Are we on Clan Ivy's side?

If we are with the Ivy's, I think that we could have a pseudo-diplomatic solution, but it will costs us a lot. Both in souls, and in our fame: we will look quite weak, but we can suck it, I guess.

-Suck of the responsibility of all this. It is all our fault, in some way.
-Renounce to our claim of those 40 souls (they are executing 40 less people). So that Clan Ivy thinks that we are responsible enough for our actions, not any random coward.
-Have a chat with Redding, Greent, and some representatives of the mercenaries. Explain that we were working to lower the prices, but that it takes time. Offer a deal with them: we are going to tell them who we are going to choose, and that it is not going to be a really powerful adversary. This way they can choose someone that could beat it. My candidate to be the destroyed one is Rugath. He is not really the most useful minion right now. Then they are free, but have to convince Wikes that we mean a good intent. Otherwise, he can consider himself dead. We are not going to tolerate someone who wants us dead.

You pretty much got it right, but there are two fights; One for the Mercs, and one for Scales and her group. You are picking both fighters for team execution.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2016, 11:46:59 am »

Then I don't know who to pick for Scales's group. It is not even our problem actually (it is the problem of Null's priest), so we may as well send that badass Scourge to slaughter whoever they get, and then raise Scales back. We may not stand so badly among clan Ivy if we actually win a fight.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2016, 03:14:54 pm »

I'm liking Plan B for the fights. Otherwise we're caught in a lose-lose situation, where no matter what we pick we piss off people we'd rather remain on good terms with.

It's true that negotiating with Shaman Crank will not necessarily be easy, but nothing is about this situation. Confessor Rash will probably be on our side regarding saving face for everyone involved.

-Suck the responsibility of all this. It is all our fault, in some way.
I like this a lot. Lets Clan Ivy know that even if we exonerate the prisoners, we're still responsible and on their side.

Slight complication: Mason would probably really like his daughter's soul back rather than having it fed to Chieftess Ivy. If we wanted to help him out, we could request to purchase that particular gem now for another soul at a future date.

Half-moon management:

Invite them to dinner and discuss things calmly. Discreetly call for reinforcements and to block all exits while we discuss bussiness. Once everything is set, politely inform them that they are our prisoners, maybe while pointing Troublemaker at the chieftain's skull. Demand all of their prisoners to come back alive, and all the contents of the vault. Otherwise, we will slaughter the whole clan and steal their souls for wrongdoing us. They were not even aware that the vault existed, nor they can open it, I think. And we are pissed, and probably lacking about 40 souls.
Kidnapping parlaying guests probably sets a bad precedent. I'd rather just negotiate him down to something reasonable; orcs are bad at negotiation, and there are probably things a clan that small could use better than random box artifacts. Like our favor, for example.

Plus, as mentioned nobody's in any actual danger. We can just let Snakeyes, Mason, and 1/3 of Typhoon Swarm chill out in orctown for a bit if we need to.

Inviting them to dinner is a pretty good idea, though. We could bring out our wight as a server and Starling to... be Starling, mostly, in an effort to impress them with our dark magic. And because both of them are probably getting bored hiding in our basement.

14-34 is a much more generous age range than I was expecting for Fortune. Let's have her new doomed ranger friend handle the eye business, if he's skilled enough.
"Well perhaps I could benefit from being a Chimeric Abomination with a bunch of extra arms... but I'm not sure I want to be that freaky."
Spoiler: Don't Be Ridiculous (click to show/hide)

We need a new sacrifice for the cave. Damn it. We really need a better system for this than snooping around the guardhouse every six hours.

I'm tempted to let word of the cannons spread. Would also fit better with the idea of using them as threats rather than to destroy our beautiful castles. It would, of course, imply to the crown (and any allies we might gain) that we intend to go all the way.

At Mogpan you are struck by a brilliant idea, and accept Palm's offer. As you shake her hand, you weave two curses onto the old Orc's soul. One from your father, to render her ineffective at tormenting others, and one from Yaas, to cause Peat's mother to perceive all her attempts at torture as successful ones.
This is brilliant. We've basically turned her into a children's cartoon villain!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31