Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151227 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1530 on: June 28, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »

It's a rhetorical device used for making a point.

I was going to post the exact same post, but then I realised maniac probably meant that the reason is that they named it Boaty McBoatface.

Which is awesome.
They didn't, in the end, AFAIK. The ship got named after Attenborough, but they named a smaller vessel onnit Boaty McBoatface.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 28, 2016, 01:14:39 pm »

Saw a gem of a comment elsewhere from a Brit who said, "Why on Earth would you leave a policy decision to the British general public??! The last time you did that, you got Boaty McBoatface."

Given the amount of effort seemingly underway to ignore the result in the same manner, I move that we start referring to it as Brexit McBrexitface. And the counter-campaign as Project: Sir David Attenborough.

In fairness to the people who voted brexit mcbrexitface, they will symbolically kick Gibraltar out of the EU.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 28, 2016, 01:17:30 pm »

Hmmm...now there's an idea for a compromise. Britain stays in, but a small portion leaves the EU (looking at you, Cornwall). Then all the Leavers can pile into Cornwall (while the Cornish complain about all the immigrants from York and Birmingham), and then the whole island tilts to the southwest, raising Scotland majestically into the sky.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:35 pm »

Finally, Cornwall will become relevant!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 28, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »

If Corbyn doesn't appear on the leadership ballot there could be big trouble on the hard left.
Worst comes to the worse, he could be given a new Labour Party to work with.

No, not New Labour. And it would be retro to call it Old Labour. How about Real Labour (although then thete could be Provisional Labour,  Continuity Labour,  etc...  ;) )

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:36 pm »

Shadow Laor?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »

No, no. High Labour. Their new symbol would be a five rayed sunrise over the UK flag.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 28, 2016, 01:47:09 pm »

Hmmm...now there's an idea for a compromise. Britain stays in, but a small portion leaves the EU (looking at you, Cornwall). Then all the Leavers can pile into Cornwall (while the Cornish complain about all the immigrants from York and Birmingham), and then the whole island tilts to the southwest, raising Scotland majestically into the sky.
So, which side were the melting glaciers from the last ice-age on? Geologists might know!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 28, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »

I took it as "Cameron realized that the public would vote Bad Idea on a lark." But somehow I doubt he secretly wanted Leave to win.
Most of the Leave campaigners didn't want Leave to win.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 28, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »

Should have voted on the name of emulsified meat product instead.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:51 pm »

Anyone who cares about this sort of thing wouldn't be caught dead voting for the Lib Dems after the shitshow that was the Conservative-Liberal government.  Maybe the Greens can benefit.
I think that people who are actually paying attention would.

I mean, it has become obvious to many that the Lib Dems were holding back the Conservative government considerably and managed to get a decent amount of their manifesto policies passed, even if some were watered down and others ended up being claimed by the Tories. Then you have the current pledge to remain in or rejoin the EU which will be popular with many who voted remain or who feel conned by the leave campaigns. Plus I've seen people praising Clegg (!) for having a very clear vision of the results of a leave vote (notably this and this).

Literally the only thing continuing to hold back the Lib Dems is tuition fees, and that is becoming harder and harder to tag them with as time goes on.

I can imagine a couple of MPs defecting if Corbyn wins and there isn't a complete schism in the Labour party. I've seen one previously high-profile Labour supporter switch today, along with one member per minute being reported, and it is the Lib Dems who are making themselves visibly the party of Remain.

Of course, if Corbyn loses it would be more likely to see a swing towards the Greens, and all of this assumes the party doesn't actually split. I think that particular question depends on the unions and whether they accept the results either way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:34:41 pm by palsch »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 28, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »

Huh, Clegg is looking damn near clairvoyant right now. Must be some kind of sorcerer.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:25 pm »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 28, 2016, 02:57:14 pm »

I mean, it has become obvious to many that the Lib Dems were holding back the Conservative government considerably

The conservative government couldn't have enacted a single one of those policies without the coalition government.  The Libs said that election reform was the reason to pick the tories over labor but they didn't get election reform, instead they got a silly farce of a referendum.  It was such poor negotiating on the part of the Libs that it would take Donald Trump to properly disparage their bargaining skills.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »

This is actually kinda funny.

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 107