Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151415 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1335 on: June 27, 2016, 06:08:50 pm »

Where's all the John Oliver hate coming from recently? Other than being a nerdier and shrill-er version of John Stewart, and that one thing with buying back people's debts and maybe not crediting the original inventors of the idea.

If you check the video... Basically racism... Like outright... Even check the comments. (as in racists hate him)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 27, 2016, 06:12:07 pm »

Where's all the John Oliver hate coming from recently? Other than being a nerdier and shrill-er version of John Stewart, and that one thing with buying back people's debts and maybe not crediting the original inventors of the idea.
Mostly his continuous downplaying of the refugee crisis as anything other than Evil European Racists trying to hurt innocent people. Even more so since he seems to portray the situation as Europe being obligated to take on as many refugees as they can, when he himself no longer lives in Europe. Also, that his shilling is so very specific, and I say that as the targeted demographic and political persuasion.

On a less political front, Last Week Tonight is just kind of purely formulaic, and after a while gets to the "punchlines" being "you're supposed to laugh now" signs. I think it's gotten a bit better since the horrid low point of mid-second season, but I also stopped watching it, so maybe not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »

It's the job of liberals to make the arguments of conservatives.  Any liberal who doesn't do that is a partisan hack.

Note that the reverse does not apply.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 27, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

Mostly his continuous downplaying of the refugee crisis as anything other than Evil European Racists trying to hurt innocent people.

In all fairness the counter arguments I see against him was "MUSLIMS ARE EVIL!"

Rather than some nuanced argument about how these countries cannot support this number of refuges. With John Oliver actually shutting down the BS made up excuses for not accepting refuges.

At LEAST he isn't making up any information.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:18:15 pm by Neonivek »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 27, 2016, 06:20:55 pm »

It's the job of liberals to make the arguments of conservatives.  Any liberal who doesn't do that is a partisan hack.

All of the people in this thread and elsewhere saying that the status quo should reign except with a larger majority than 51% in favor of change because they're salty about the result of the referendum demonstrate this principle in action.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 27, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »

I dont follow.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 27, 2016, 06:25:42 pm »

Easy there chief, I'm not your RedKing to RedKing's maniac. All I'm saying is that Last Week Tonight's writing tightbeam is focused exclusively on 18-25 year old American leftists. Wrong? I don't know. Annoyingly transparent? Oh yeah.
In all fairness the counter arguments I see against him was "MUSLIMS ARE EVIL!"

Rather than some nuanced argument about how these countries cannot support this number of refuges. With John Oliver actually shutting down the BS made up excuses for not accepting refuges.

At LEAST he isn't making up any information.
It can be taken as a lie of omission. Muslims don't need to be evil for there to have been all the incidences of violence, sexual assault, and subsequent well-intentioned coverups by local politicians who support taking refugees.

Is taking refugees overall a good or bad idea? Does Europe have any moral obligation to take in refugees at all? Does that come with or preclude also taking direct action in the "Syrian" Civil War (because Syria barely exists now, and it's spilled far out)?

I don't know, and I'm not convinced anybody else really knows either. It seems like most people in this are following script; ie. right-wing groups say refugees are all rapists and ISIS plants so we need to keep them out, left-wing groups say refugees are all enlightened grateful victims of ISIS and will shore up Europe's economy. What else can the public really do in such an absence of clear information but follow the typical divisions?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 27, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »

http://www.beaconsfieldprimary.org.uk/docs/Refugee_Discussion_by_Mahisa.pdf

Here we go!

Refuges are Pennyless dirty criminals

Yes that is all the information I could find... It is surprisingly hard to find ANYTHING about why people shouldn't be accepting refuges.

left-wing groups say refugees are all enlightened grateful victims of ISIS and will shore up Europe's economy.

Actually no. The left just says that they are ultimately the victims in all of this and shouldn't be treated as criminals because they are part of a "unwanted" sector of the world.

They make no claim that they are enlightened and are fighting a losing battle because the Refuges are human. While yes the Right HAS made claims that they are rapists and criminals before.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:32:55 pm by Neonivek »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 27, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »

All of the people in this thread and elsewhere saying that the status quo should reign except with a larger majority than 51% in favor of change because they're salty about the result of the referendum demonstrate this principle in action.
except their was only 70ish percent turnout and both sides but especially the leavers outright lied about what a brexit would lead to and many people stupidly made protest votes and such. also two of the kingdoms in the united kingdom voted strongly in favor of staying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »

My English fails me. What is meaning?
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:18 pm »

I dont follow.

I wasn't really making a point. Just playing on the meanings of liberal and conservative as "generally in favor of change" and "generally in favor of the status quo," juxtaposing those definitions with the people (who would likely describe themselves as liberal) saying a simple majority isn't enough, and relating it back to your post as "proof."

except their was only 70ish percent turnout and both sides but especially the leavers outright lied about what a brexit would lead to and many people stupidly made protest votes and such. also two of the kingdoms in the united kingdom voted strongly in favor of staying.

If some fucktard voted leave to "make a statement", but wanted to remain, they have only themselves to blame when the result of the election reflects that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »

left-wing groups say refugees are all enlightened grateful victims of ISIS and will shore up Europe's economy.

Actually no. The left just says that they are ultimately the victims in all of this and shouldn't be treated as criminals because they are part of a "unwanted" sector of the world.

They make no claim that they are enlightened... While yes the Right HAS made claims that they are rapists and criminals before.
I don't think that's quite true. They might not outright claim that refugees are all humanist universalists in the Western style, but refusing to address the very obvious conflict that comes from originating in cultures where homosexuality is a severe crime, gender roles are beyond mandatory, and religious piety is way, way more important (and of a different religion to boot) is just about the same thing. Acting like it is the case instead of stating it.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:09 pm »

All I'm saying is that Last Week Tonight's writing tightbeam is focused exclusively on 18-25 year old American leftists. Wrong?

How was one supposed to parse that from this?

Mostly his continuous downplaying of the refugee crisis as anything other than Evil European Racists trying to hurt innocent people.

But also, I was just saying why people hate him.  I dont even think you are among the haters seeing as you just said you had watched him.

I wasn't really making a point.

I mean I literally did not parse your words.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:47 pm »

On a less political front, Last Week Tonight is just kind of purely formulaic, and after a while gets to the "punchlines" being "you're supposed to laugh now" signs. I think it's gotten a bit better since the horrid low point of mid-second season, but I also stopped watching it, so maybe not.

Easy there chief, I'm not your RedKing to RedKing's maniac. All I'm saying is that Last Week Tonight's writing tightbeam is focused exclusively on 18-25 year old American leftists. Wrong? I don't know. Annoyingly transparent? Oh yeah.

I mean...it's the exact same formula as the Daily Show, just with more swearing. It's what made TDS a success with that exact demographic. I take no stance on whether you should or should not dislike that. But it's not new.

What else can the public really do in such an absence of clear information but follow the typical divisions?

Find the middle ground instead of just feeding the machine on either side? That two ideas are not mutually exclusive: Europe has a moral obligation to help, and doing so comes with additional costs, risk and challenges? That some refugees are "good elements" that will ultimately help the European economy, and some are "bad elements" that will commit crime.

Basically admitting real life is real and getting on with legislation to address real life instead of arguing for or supporting binary interpretations of complex situations involving actual people. The same could be said for both sides. And back to my original question, I feel like JO does the token sober admission to both sides of the argument, just like TDS did. It's still a lead up to his actual opinion and the punchline but I don't think he's, like, a maximum shill or anything.

...the thread, she does move fast.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1349 on: June 27, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »

Basically admitting real life is real and getting on with legislation to address real life instead of arguing for or supporting binary interpretations of complex situations involving actual people.
I often fantasise about this
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 107