Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151514 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2016, 06:47:20 am »

But then, you'd classify any country with a per capita GDP of less than 15,000$ as "great growth potential", no?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2016, 06:49:00 am »

Edit: With the polls so close, I'm starting to be really afraid of a very narrox Brexit victory that would then be ignored, seeing as the referendum is apparently non-binding.
Democracy

Russia wouldn't really be "flying away" under a less regressive government.  They are already a wealthy country.  There isn't some easy obvious way to grow an economy like that like importing foreign technology and capital and making an industrial base for the first time.  Russia needs slow, steady growth like Mexico or Poland.
A wealthy country with GDP per capita of $7000?

In any case, I don't mean like 10% p.a., I mean stable non-negative growth (which wasn't really implied very well)

E: That's awkward, it's $7k nominal, $25k PPP. Which is quite the discrepancy. In any case, $25k PPP makes New Zealand and Portugal look rich. Gini of 40 doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:53:30 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2016, 07:02:02 am »

Edit: With the polls so close, I'm starting to be really afraid of a very narrow Brexit victory that would then be ignored, seeing as the referendum is apparently non-binding.

Non binding. Really? Wow. So, the government is pointlessly tearing itself apart asking the plebeian masses its opinion on a matter it can then ignore them on. Fuck yeah, Westminster.
This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2016, 07:12:42 am »

But then, you'd classify any country with a per capita GDP of less than 15,000$ as "great growth potential", no?

An interesting question.

I think that Russia and China both have the ability for sustained faster then at technological frontier growth starting almost immediately.  At the time the BRICS term was coined, they were already doing that.

A wealthy country with GDP per capita of $7000?

Russia's nominal GDP numbers are extremely skewed right now because of the extraordinary trade situation.  I could point to the PPP numbers but I think a qualitative impression is better:

Russia is a country which isn't worried about basic provisions of necessities.  Russia has a strong industrial base capable of modern production.  It is expected that a Russian citizen will receive a competent secondary education even if they aren't privileged.  Higher education is widely available.  Issues like quality of education and creating globally competitive brands are on the table, even if there are problems with corruption.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2016, 07:13:44 am »

Edit: With the polls so close, I'm starting to be really afraid of a very narrow Brexit victory that would then be ignored, seeing as the referendum is apparently non-binding.

Non binding. Really? Wow. So, the government is pointlessly tearing itself apart asking the plebeian masses its opinion on a matter it can then ignore them on. Fuck yeah, Westminster.
Think of it this way: More David Cameron pig puns in the days to come.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2016, 08:21:32 am »

Think of it this way: More David Cameron pig puns in the days to come.
The swines!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2016, 08:25:42 am »

Why are you surprised? The greek referendum was binding but they ignored it less than two weeks after the fact
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 19, 2016, 08:30:50 am »

Yes and no. The Greek government has made it clear before the referendum that a "no" would just mean they'd tried to negotiate a better deal. There was a no, they tried to negotiate a better deal, and they failed (Because surprisingly, non-greek governments aren't bound by greek referendums).

Syriza never said that a no would mean leaving the Euro or something.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2016, 09:39:39 am »

There was a no, they tried to negotiate a better deal, and they failed (Because surprisingly, government economic policies aren't bound by precepts of reality.).

FTFY
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2016, 09:40:51 am »

Not sure what you mean? That the EU's economic policy toward Greece is pant-retarded?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2016, 09:46:24 am »

Precisely.

Edit, well that and a bit more.  The EU says it wants things and then actively works against it's stated objectives.  And then it gets angry at voices of dissent to this absurdity.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:54:06 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2016, 10:14:34 am »

Firt- Second- and Third-Wolrd refers to living standard and economic development, not to influence. I mean, no one cares about Andorra, but no one would call them a third-world country.

But what about the Flirt-World countries? Which ones are those?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:08 am »

Nobody cares about your flirt world problems.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 19, 2016, 12:49:06 pm »

The EU says it wants things and then actively works against it's stated objectives.  And then it gets angry at voices of dissent to this absurdity.
Ah, but who is 'the EU' here? Because a lot of the time what's perceived as the EU working against itself really is national politicians abusing the supernational processes and institutions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 19, 2016, 02:27:09 pm »

Yeah, its fairly clear the goal of the germans was not to angry their electorate.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 107