Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151511 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2016, 11:15:01 am »

Jo Cox's murderer gave his name in court as "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain".

Also, CNN go that awesome quote:

In a nation with tightly controlled gun laws and few homicides linked to weapons, Cox's attack was especially jarring.

I guess Brits just use their teeth for most of their homicides?

We are very good at killing people with our fists and feet. Also high heels on occasion.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2016, 11:26:46 am »

From the first random page I found that didn't look too shabby:
The most common method used for homicide is a knife or sharp instrument (approx 40% of homicides) for both men and women. The second most common method for males victims was punching or kicking, for female victims it was strangulation. Gun and firearm murders represented 6% of victims
(Also revealed by said page: of known muderers of under-16s, half were a parent of the victim, and 47% of women killed by partners or ex-partners.)
Data for 2012, or 2011-12; maybe of the 550 murders seen in England and Wales (56 million inhabitants), or maybe all British areas. That's one shabby aspect to the article.

Edit: Reading more, E+W+Scotland gives 640 murders, 61 million inhabitants, Scotland pushing the rate up a bit.
... Also, may not include "Officially manslaughter, but that's just because we can't prove intent" figures.  Probably that class is less represented by weapon-users, though, and more "hit him, he fell, he hit his head and died", or improvised weapons picked in hot blood rather than purposefully carried knives, etc.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:38:06 am by Starver »

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2016, 12:00:52 pm »

From the first random page I found that didn't look too shabby:
The most common method used for homicide is a knife or sharp instrument (approx 40% of homicides) for both men and women. The second most common method for males victims was punching or kicking, for female victims it was strangulation. Gun and firearm murders represented 6% of victims
(Also revealed by said page: of known muderers of under-16s, half were a parent of the victim, and 47% of women killed by partners or ex-partners.)
Data for 2012, or 2011-12; maybe of the 550 murders seen in England and Wales (56 million inhabitants), or maybe all British areas. That's one shabby aspect to the article.

Edit: Reading more, E+W+Scotland gives 640 murders, 61 million inhabitants, Scotland pushing the rate up a bit.
... Also, may not include "Officially manslaughter, but that's just because we can't prove intent" figures.  Probably that class is less represented by weapon-users, though, and more "hit him, he fell, he hit his head and died", or improvised weapons picked in hot blood rather than purposefully carried knives, etc.

640 murders is 0.001% of the population, that's pretty damn low compared to some other countries

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »

Maybe everyone in the court is lying and it's a false flag.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »

Well, why should he resign? It's not like Britain will need more instability in case of an Exit Vote.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2016, 01:59:52 pm »

There'll be pressure.

It's possible that "if you vote out, I won't necessarily be quitting" is a message intended to prevent the "I'd rather vote Out to get rid of Cameron than vote In and keep him" camp from cutting off their noses to spite his face.  (Possible. At the general election, only 49.5% of the electorate voted for either Conservatives (whether or not they wanted Out) or UKIP (lets assume they all did), and enough of the others could be leaning towards contributing to a bloody nose to make indecision swing against their least-favourite Tories, whichever side they may be on.)

But it would be quite difficult for him to hang on. Even with a close 'victory'.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2016, 02:29:29 pm »

So what, you think he should resign to avoid the fact that maybe his MPs will try to throw him out?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »

No I read about it, Corbyn genuinely suggested some sort of control-sharing scheme with Argentina, though he suggested that the actual Falklanders would have a "great say" in the matter

which uh
that would result in the Falklands not going to Argentina
the Falklanders really really really don't want to go to Argentina
see they invaded them this one time

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »

Also, Argentina is a third-world shit-hole, and they would make lives of Falklanders miserable and shitty with their third-world practices of infinite corruption and lack of any positive developments whatsoever.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2016, 02:47:04 pm »

'Let's give the Falklands to Argentina'
I recall that one being him saying he'd enter into diplomacy rather than pretend there's no issue and we own them and that's that Argentina doesn't want them nope. Then of course everyone went 'HE WANTS TO GIVE THEM AWAY!'

To be fair, it's better to just ignore the Argentines on this. Their claim to the Falklands is so thin Sadiq Khan would have it banned from London ads as unrealistic. And if every country start asking for old claims, the world is going to shit.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:31 pm »

Also, Argentina is a third-world shit-hole, and they would make lives of Falklanders miserable and shitty with their third-world practices of infinite corruption and lack of any positive developments whatsoever.
Hey!

Second-world shit-hole, please. You gotta stay accurate.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 18, 2016, 03:33:38 pm »

Hey!

Second-world shit-hole, please. You gotta stay accurate.
I didn't know that Argentina was a part of Warsaw pact...
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »

Jeremy 'I'd never fire our nuclear missiles' Corbyn

Some men just don't want to watch the world burn.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2016, 03:50:11 pm »

UK doesn't have enough missiles to make the world burn. Hell, its nuclear doctrine is all about making one (1) single city (i.e. Moscow) burn.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »

I didn't know that Argentina was a part of Warsaw pact...
It's not a first-world nation, and it's not a third-world country in any reasonable sense of that word, but instead it's halfway in between. 'Second-world' sounds about right, especially considering that the Warsaw Pact has been history for a quarter of a century now.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 107