Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151303 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Come back Gillray, all is forgiven!

(Japan's joined the international cry of "we're happier dealing with a European Britain", I see. And it can't all be because they want to simplify their rollodexes.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that we can, upon being ejected from the EU, immediately resume 'independance' and sovereign relations with the world..?
Ours is one of the largest networks in the world, I think only the USA has us beat since they have diplomatic relations with all countries on the planet except a handful (Iran, North Korea, Syria).

It'll take some time, and bargaining from a postition of weakness and urgent necessity, which is sure to draw in the carrion-eater kind of deals from all quarters, while we try to ward them off and get (what we think are) deals of truer worth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wew that took a long time to write. My hope and optimism is fleeting but my lights are still on, it was a sunny day and the channel was dotted with lily petals, golden light piercing our grey skies - for this once, white. Mug of tea in hand I should hope I never have to up sticks this immemorial land, for as long as I recognize it as my land of a thousand years! Fitting too; even a thousand is finite. So ends Kali Yuga, so new life springs from the ashes

Preliminary counting of Mayoral votes says Cheeki Sadiqi has won versus his rival Zac Goldsmith, unsurprising even if Barnet bants hadn't happened since only Lord Bogo could have defeated the Breeki one. Interestingly this round of elections seems to have left everyone happy: The Liberal Democrats are happy to have gained seats in Scotland (avoiding total extinction), the Greens too, Tories did well across the field, UKIP in Wales and Labour didn't lose horribly giving confidence to the Corbyn leadership and future campaigns! Never seen such a round of elections where everyone was happy over something!

That'd still be a lot of text on a touchscreen keyboard.
Anyways, the Tories are the same as the conservatives in http://www.politico.eu/article/uk-elections-live-blog-wales-scotland-northern-ireland-london-vote/ and what's the various assembly stuff about?
Tories and conservatives are the same thing, literally they are the same thing - just two names for the one party/party members
Basically 200 years ago the Tory party broke apart due to infighting over Corn tariffs, splintering into many factions. One of those factions survived and became the Conservative party under Benjamin Disraeli, which persists to this day, hence why Tory and Conservative are still to this day used pretty interchangeably.
The various assemblies are basically like smaller Parliaments that are full of people elected to scrutinize and pass/reject budgets set out by regional governments, set forth policy and pass some laws. Essentially it functions as a regional version of the House of Lords, capable of delaying certain bills and causing a ruckus if something horrendous is identified, like a bill that required the killing of every firstborn or an attempt at melting a canal through the Arctic with toasters.

The mother of all political cartoons. Christ.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The English Channel is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, specifically the Straits of Dover ARE the busiest part of it and the busiest in the world.
You say that like I had not already acknowledged it.  And as if it matters that ships heading from wherever to.Rotterdam/etc are a significant part of this traffic, to our economy. Point?

Transatlantic flights could land in Ireland (Republic of) if they want an earlier stop-off, as that diagram shows clearly.

Of all the top 10 busiest commercial Transatlantic routes, only 3 of them don't end at London.
Because there are good reasons, right now, and not a little tradition/historical expectation. No guarantees to the future if a canny Eurozone takes the initiative. (Right now, there's fewer reasons to invoke internecine rivalries, but a UK-less EU wouldn't have too many qualms about undercutting the UK, if it helped Eire, perhaps. Or reason to stop France just muscling in over British interests as much as it wanted.

You miss my point about Spain (or any other in-EU country) usurping London. Build it, and moreover support it with sufficient political will, and they will come. It's a possibility, not a certainty, but that's wbat I've been saying all along...  The Unknowns worry me, moztly.

Our city has long been a commercial centre since before recorded history and throughout the last two centuries become a financial hub for[...]
And the Clyde had some of the greatest shipyards and Sheffield probably the best steelworks and the pottery of Staffordshire rivaled the rest of the world and, and, and... Permanence and historic rights to continuation is an illusion, and on a knife-edge too that just needs enough people to be unsure or unwilling about something and move elsewbere.

And then you have arguments against the way the EU has been run. As if that's solely the domain of the EU. Whither the coalfields, since the 1980s? Heavy industry? The Empire itself, if you want me to avoid "maybe the EU had a hand in that" events.

(Note, I distrust politicians. You seem to think that local politicians will do things better than EU beaurocrats. I disagree not because it's the EU, or not, but because of the type of people they are. Which is not to say that I like beaurocrats, either, but they are a necessary element to keep populist knee-jerks in check,  IMO. To this end, I dislike the same Europhile politicians that you hate, but I also dislike the Euroskeptics and Europhobes, too. Unfortunately, some of them will still be around after the Referendum, however the penny falls.)

Our Empire is long dead, so why try to make ourselves a province of a failing Empire?
Something I already said I'm not keen on.  Not that I agree that it's definitely failing, just that itvs curreny on a bumpy road. But that's a side argument. If the EU is teetering and Britain leaves, causing the EU to fragment, then do we benefit? Geopolitically, Russia gets a chance of reabsorbing ex-Soviet states that were angling towards the EU, if not already in it, and who knows how that'll end up. Frictions within tbe EU will ramp up (as with France/Spain/Ireland competing with Britain in political, financial and other arenas).  The law of unintended consequences.

Thus (without desiring greater integration), I like the idea that we can (from the sidelines, but not beyond them) help create an EU without less problems than now. Not that I think that'll work, but it definitely won't if we don't do it...
{Note this much later strikethrough edit!  Whoops!}

What do we get in return for dismantling our state?
We're doing that through devolution. And, again, I'm not really a fan of the 'dismantling' that is Federalisation, or otherwise Unifying, so that's not the question to ask me.

Why do you have no faith in our own elected government's ability to spend our money on our vital institutions yet place faith in the EU to spend our money for that instead, as opposed to merely spending money to boost its own popularity?
By chance, I explained tbat above. But, to reiterate, it's popularism and soundbite politics that I dislike. There are indeed other ways to mess things up, but this is where I see it going wrong upon Leaving.

...irregardless...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless
;)

There is that issue of media control, academic control and state control by the EU and so on[...]
Media control is relative. Anything one doesn't like is obviously the fault of the opposing interests, while ignoring the satisfactory elements that the other side say is influence by your lot.  And then there's mutually disliked, but monatomic, viewpoints that seems to simultaneously be in support of both opposing parties, and biased against each side's own. Not that anyone in an echochamber would notice this.

Wew that took a long time to write.
Tell me about it. I want cursor keys! I nearly extinguished phrases that I wanted to reply to, and even clicked 'forward' somewhere, accidentally, and had my heart in my mouth as I clicked back again to see if I would need to do everything again, up to the advanced point I had ready reached.

The Liberal Democrats are happy to have gained seats in Scotland (avoiding total extinction),
Did they? I thought they went from five down to zero, in the table I glanced over. But not sure this is the same subset of Scottish elections as you mean.

Quote from: You to the other guy
Essentially [an assembly] functions as a regional version of the House of Lords, capable of delaying certain bills and causing a ruckus if something horrendous is identified, like a bill that required the killing of every firstborn or an attempt at melting a canal through the Arctic with toasters.
Gotta disagree with you, there. Regional Assemblies and the Scottish Parliament just add 'localisation rules' in various allowable aspects of UK-wide law (noting that Scottish law ready differed from England-and-Wales law prior to the reprovision of its own Assembly-named-as-Parliament, in a number of ways), which does include the possibility of nullifying (certain Westminster-led) UK-wide policies, e.g. prescription charge hikes, but it works as a patch, not a Lords-like "we are concerned about this bill, and would like you to redraft it before passing it" voice of reason. Or meddling old fools, depending on your personal feelings about the issue at hand.

I quite like the HoL. I don't think it's perfect, but making it into a fully-elected Second House would remove pretty much everything I do like about it. But that's an argument for another thread, if I haven't already participated in one such upon this board already, in the past.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:50:35 pm by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Confirmed for sure: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/europe/uk-london-mayoral-race-sadiq-khan/index.html?adkey=bn He's of Pakistani descent (via parents) apparently.

I wonder what Trump would have to say about that, heh....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like I already posted the (half complete, editwise) reply to LW, two posts up. To that end, I've copied the text from my properly finished (barring typos) version and overwritten the original misposted one. And sorry that it's a monster. Shonuld perhaps have added segmented Spoiler-hiding, but accesing the [] characters is a pain, already, for quote/unquote tags. Or, rather, unquote/requote ones.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Confirmed for sure: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/europe/uk-london-mayoral-race-sadiq-khan/index.html?adkey=bn He's of Pakistani descent (via parents) apparently.
I wonder what Trump would have to say about that, heh....
Why apparently? He is
Also lol we had a debate on banning him from the UK I don't think this is much else of note

Quote from: Sadiq Khan
London is the world’s greatest commercial centre – the business capital not just of Britain, but of Europe. We are an established world leader in finance, creative industries and business services, and a growing force in newer industries such as tech, low carbon and life sciences, as well as having some of the most innovative manufacturing businesses around. Because it is such a great place to live and work in, London attracts organisations, talent and investment from across the globe. But retaining our place at the top is not a given. We need to work hard together to stay competitive, to increase productivity, and to make the most of opportunities for growth in our traditional and new industries.
Pretty dank so far

His big policies:
  • Freezing travel fairs for the next 4 years. Apparently going to get this done by making the TFL more efficient or something, I don't think that'll be enough. He'll also be exploring some other revenue-raising opportunities, dunno what that's gonna be yet but that sounds more promising.
  • Create a Business Advisory Board – "made up of experts, not of political allies" – to provide guidance and insight to find the solutions to London’s growth challenges and to provide A Manifesto for all Londoners Business, prosperity and opportunity feedback on policy. Should help business fears of Corbyn rather well.
  • Usual stuff about equality
  • Obligatory stuff about continuing greenification
  • Broker a deal between providers and local authorities to provide better access to public property and land for the installation of better infrastructure (probably the highest priority infrastructure development issue up there with transport and water). Very good that it's in his attention.
  • Appoint a Chief Digital Officer to oversee growth "in the sector" and advise on cyber-security and digital inclusion. Bretty good as long as he finds the right Officer
  • Create a central London data Office (long term project? Will be useful long term).
  • Work with businesses, builders, investors, Westminster and Councils to build tens of thousands of affordable houses with Londoners given priority purchasing rights over foreign investors. Interesting, will be a monumental challenge - will slow foreign investment but if successful will solve the housing crisis. Is it worth it? Fuck knows, but seems worth trying.
  • Use City Hall as a centre to attract institutional investers into pensions, housing mortgages and so on. Sounds like more power is being centralized to City Hall under Khan, so it will be interesting to see the Mayor of London in future be even more powerful and important than previously (already being quite important).
  • Force landowners who have secured planning permission to begin building or sell their land. Intended to stop people just buying London land and then keeping it as a safe asset (thereby excluding the possibility to develop it into houses or literally anything else useful), I hope he adjusts the wording so people don't just buy land and not seek planning permission.
  • Promoting Landlord Licensing schemes across London on a borough by borough basis whilst making a case to Westminster to impose London-wide Landlord Licensing.
  • Direct development to brownfield sites, seeking to protect and keep the green belt undeveloped (aw yiss).
  • Introduce a hopper ticket that allows multiple buss travel within an hour. An hour seems a little short, but eh seems to be a pilot project.
  • Be ambivalent towards cable car and routemaster developers (whether he'll cut funding or not is another question).
  • Continuing the Cycle Superhighway project
  • Breaking down more of the geographical barriers of London, such as by supporting a Rotherhithe-Canary Wharf pedestrian and cycling bridge (holy shit)
Looks like I already posted the (half complete, editwise) reply to LW, two posts up. To that end, I've copied the text from my properly finished (barring typos) version and overwritten the original misposted one. And sorry that it's a monster. Shonuld perhaps have added segmented Spoiler-hiding, but accesing the [] characters is a pain, already, for quote/unquote tags. Or, rather, unquote/requote ones.
Truth
I'll get to you tomorrow as I am 2 well tired

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: tl;dr reply to Starver (click to show/hide)
In other news
The International Monetary Fund has told eurozone finance ministers they must immediately begin negotiations to grant debt relief for Greece despite German opposition, upending carefully orchestrated negotiations ahead of an emergency meeting on Monday.
High quality global journalism requires investment.
In a letter to all 19 ministers sent on Thursday night and obtained by the Financial Times, Christine Lagarde, the IMF chief, said stalemated talks with Athens to find €3bn in “contingency” budget cuts, which have gone on for a month, had become fruitless and that debt relief must be put on the table immediately, or risk losing IMF participation in the programme.
“We believe that specific [economic reform] measures, debt restructuring, and financing must now be discussed contemporaneously,” Ms Lagarde wrote. “For us to support Greece with a new IMF arrangement, it is essential that the financing and debt relief from Greece’s European partners are based on fiscal targets that are realistic because they are supported by credible measures to reach them.”
The IMF has come under intense criticism in Greece, where senior officials in Alexis Tsipras’s government have blamed Poul Thomsen, the IMF’s European chief, for making excessive austerity demands and holding up an agreement on the €86bn bailout’s first review.
But Ms Lagarde’s letter makes clear the IMF wants less austerity, arguing that the budget surplus target agreed last year between the EU and Athens — a primary surplus of 3.5 per cent of gross domestic target by 2018 — is unrealistic and should be drastically reduced.
A primary surplus is a country’s budget surplus when debt payments are not included.
“A clarification is needed to clear unfounded allegations that the IMF is being inflexible, calling for unnecessary new fiscal measures and — as a result — causing a delay in negotiations and the disbursement of urgently needed funds,” Ms Lagarde wrote.
Athens is facing €3.5bn in debt payments in July that it needs bailout aid to pay, and EU officials have told Greek government officials they do not want messy negotiations to continue during the Brexit campaign — meaning if no agreement is reached this month, leaders will not begin discussions again until just weeks before a possible default.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/eb9e5ab8-1367-11e6-91da-096d89bd2173.html#axzz480iEyWqI
rip in pes greks

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With a shred of ambiguity, with your fear being uncertainty, so I strive for certainty - my purpose is self-discovery and alleviation of this in any way :D
I still think that there's more uncertainty if we leave Europe entirely (we now compete with Europe, and our position has changed) than if we stay in our current position. All I know I know is that I know nothing (about the future). But I know less about one branch of future than the other, and I've never been one to expect that the Lottery win is just one improbable ticket away.

Yeah but why would they want to [land in Ireland, transatlantic planes]?
Because the tide turns in favour of that? You say (later) that you want competition, but what if that competition outstrips our level? In a hypothetical future where Europe where Europe wants to replace the UK as primary first-footing hub for transatlantic flights, it could invest in a completely new/enlargened airport hub and infrastructue wherever it liked, with the purchasing power of a continent, v.s. an island, while courting the right oversees contacts with the right sweet words. They just need to choose wisely, something I know you are already doubtful of. This is not me perduading you, just giving the scenario that tarnishes your perfect vision of the future.

The notion of Spain usurping London is laughable, I mean I love Spain but the UK has a higher credit rating than the entire European Union, we're not even talking Spain xD.
Assuming a bad exit does not depress our nation in the world's view. And, if our luck is ripe for yet another blow, just in time to see the EU boost in the eyes of the rest of the world through some coup de gras of some kind.

Hahaha, because of diversification or lack thereof Starver. Clyde relied on shipbuilding, when it could not compete with global shipbuilders it had to be nationalized. [...] When that too was getting fucked, financial development explosion of London!
From up this way, London appears to be an undiverse town, totally reliant upon Finance and dependent businesses. Which, within the last decade, has proven to be a very shaky industry in its own right, without the propping up denied to tangible industries of all kinds. At least at home. What happens when the current model fails?

(When it comes to coal, it's an industry that was in decline, I know, but the near-total (and now, I think finally total) shutdown of the coalfield communities forced deprevation in many NotLondon parts of the UK, plus the purchase of browner and browner coal stocks from abroad to feed continuing needs, when perfectly good (still carbon-heavy, but not as polluting with sulphur, etc) supplies could yet have been extracted to fuel the remaining users of the product.)
2. British investors found it cheaper to hire Americans to do the same job, nowadays pretty much the same only with Indians and Chinese. The alternative would be to pay more for the same products but from Britons, but as a free market that defeats the purpose
Don't forget that home producers will still be competing with European ones. Possibly more unless we throttle trade with the EU (which, apparently, won't be affected if we leave - or so goes the other argument against staying in).

I've not seen any of my local politicians fuck up an entire continent before
Because they're local... Never ascribe to a lack of incompetence what may just be down to the lack of ability...  ;)

At home our populists have no political power.
?

That's exactly who has political power.

Oh yeah, like Russia is going to take on NATO.
What's NATO got to do with it.  I'm not talking as if in Red Storm Rising...  probably...

[...] if the EU collapses and the Europeans get their democracies back that is a victory,
And how labout if Greece (frexample) becomes a non-democracy, again? Since it apparently invented the concept (which, incidentally, involved Sortition, something no modern politico seems to want, in favour of the version they like better... Bring back Sortition, I say!) how much of the time has Greece been democratic?  (Browsing just the 20th Century, and discarding foreign occupation, it seems that there were far too many internal upsets to conclude that hoi poloi thought that there was power in the hands of the people for long periods of time. Greece would just end up in hock with China, if some things I've heard are true, the greatest democracy in the world... wait, no.

I get that you don't like the unelected parts of the EU which, to my mind are more like the Whitehall component ofngovernment than Westminster. Like it or not, though, it's a better mix than some fragments of the EU would get if it falls (and, if it doesn't, will be the coordinating effort behind the isolation of England-and-Wales, in a suitably dire scenario).

Delegating powers to local authorities is not dismantling.
Not delegating. Abdication of responsibilities. Local authority now collects business rates, to spend how it sees fit? Now each authority has to try to be more competitive with its neighbours, and spend the money wisely whilst no longer having the explicit backing of the government. If things go wrong (as they will, to at least one local authority, because roughly half of them will operate at below-average efficiency) an example needs to be set (especially if it Opposition-controlled!) and suddenly it's in the equivalent of Special Measures. Doesn't matter if it's a mere 'blip', pure chance or the result of national-level interference. (If things improve immediately, overseeing government takes credit. If they don't then blamed on "starting from a right mess, can't be improved overnight"...)

Your "dismantling" is what I'd call "merging". Unifying. "Mantled", if you like. But it's putting a larger frame around the various smaller frames, which is awkward when the original frames were built to differing specifications and tolerences, which is where the problems with a unified Europe (whether from Brussels or Paris or Berlin or Rome, i.e. in the various ages that such things have been tried, noting that Rome did it best and for longest) stem from. Not easy, whichever way.

For me, it's dismantling when you cut loose various parts of the ship and dare them to float on their own (and here I'm talking about UK regionalism, not cutting loose failed states from the EU, or the cutting loose of a lifeboat by it's occupants which is wise if the ship is sinking but less so otherwise). And both approaches have problems that I would rather avoid.

[The liberals] got 5 seats in Scotland but greens have overtaken them.
Looks like I misread something, or read it before enough declarations. They had five seats, still have five seats, for zero change.

I still want to get rid of the Bishops in [the House of Lords] though
Keep (some of) the Lords Spiritual, I say, for their representation of the nation, but add othet representatives of other brands of religion (and Secularism, for good measure). The details to be bashed out elsewhere.

In other news
Is the IMF better or worse than Europe? I can't tell... ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: An introduction (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: On stranger tides (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: No step on snek (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sorry Sergarr (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Apples to Crocodiles (click to show/hide)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Well, I'm a 'murican so I'm hardly an involved perspective, but I'd personally like to see the Brexit happen -- I've come to feel that the EU is something of an undemocratic institution, as non-UK-elected (and in some cases non-elected in general) officials place down increasing restrictions on what the UK can or cannot do.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:57:00 pm by Powder Miner »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How best to edit this?

And should I ignore the ones with "you've missed the point" or "we know what you think, but it's just not a fact"? Probably not. Let's just try to be brief.  - er.

Spoiler: An introduction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On stranger tides (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: No step on snek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sorry Sergarr (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Apples to Crocodiles (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I'm a 'murican so I'm hardly an involved perspective, but I'd personally like to see the Brexit happen -- I've come to feel that the EU is something of an undemocratic institution, as non-UK-elected (and in some cases non-elected in general) officials place down increasing restrictions on what the UK can or cannot do.
Most countries have laws enacted over them that they (the country) don't like, but is the will of Europe.  Some countries get opt-outs (e.g. Malta opting out of not being allowed to shoot migrating birds whose numbers are in decline) and some countries just ignore the 'rules' that were still set for them when they don't feel like complying.

Being British, we don't ignore so many rules, so we are more or less forced to stick with our subset of negotiated opt-outs.  (e.g. single currency, purely-metric weights and measures, Schengen...)

And no sign that we're ditching the mile, for everyday use, so I say the system isn't being drawn into a sociopolitical black hole centred somewhere around (although, ironically, not in) Switzerland.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Most countries have laws enacted over them that they (the country) don't like, but is the will of Europe.  Some countries get opt-outs (e.g. Malta opting out of not being allowed to shoot migrating birds whose numbers are in decline) and some countries just ignore the 'rules' that were still set for them when they don't feel like complying.

Being British, we don't ignore so many rules, so we are more or less forced to stick with our subset of negotiated opt-outs.  (e.g. single currency, purely-metric weights and measures, Schengen...)
SOME EU laws that are disfavored by the member countries aren't enacted, but many are, and it's that breach of democracy I have a problem with.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

* Orange Wizard wants to see a more centralised European Union

what?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

SOME EU laws that are disfavored by the member countries aren't enacted, but many are, and it's that breach of democracy I have a problem with.

Why, if they are voted for by the democratically elected EU Parliament?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 107