Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151258 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

But where's the fundamental gap between a German dude and a Frenchman?
Frenchmen still consider war as a valid way of achieving their goals, for one. They also like to conquer territory quite a lot. France still has overseas territories, remember? And many people in Africa are still under de-facto financial dominion of France. That's one of the reason why they've decided that Gaddafi had to go, you know. He tried to change the situation, so Frenchmen have declared war on him, destroying the country in the process.

I, for one, like to believe that German dudes would not agree with doing all of these things.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: On culture (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: On war (click to show/hide)

http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/poll-majority-of-swedes-want-to-leave-eu-in-case-of-brexit/
If Britain left, Swedes would wish to follow us in seeking independence.
This is the least likely ally to have ever expected but given recent EU mismanagement. Of course it is a double-edged sword, if our independence bid fails we will likely not only kill British independence, but the entirety of all European independence bids. Really Sweden, you're full of surprises o_O

Frenchmen still consider war as a valid way of achieving their goals, for one. They also like to conquer territory quite a lot. France still has overseas territories, remember? And many people in Africa are still under de-facto financial dominion of France. That's one of the reason why they've decided that Gaddafi had to go, you know. He tried to change the situation, so Frenchmen have declared war on him, destroying the country in the process.

I, for one, like to believe that German dudes would not agree with doing all of these things.
You may have missed it but the financial dominion of Francafrique was transferred to the European Central Bank when the French adopted the Euro and it's not like German ministers are at all opposed to the already existing militaries fighting for them. Point and case, given Russia's recent blockheadedness with Europe and gas, and ISIS threatening Libya's oil and gas fields - a second intervention could be in the brewing with SAS troops apparently running around Libya in preparation for several thousand more European and American troops. Interestingly led by Italians, which is a phrase that fills me with fear. Also to be fair France is not doing anything Russia's not already done :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

You are also yet to demonstrate why in response to the threat of imagined warlords you would rather preemptively surrender all of your sovereignty just to avoid fighting against a threat that does not exist!
Because I will not lose anything I care about through further integration. All that will happen is better coordination with my neighbors across the border - I don't give a shit about whether I'm ruled from Berlin or from Brussels, as long as I can get my voice heard in that place.

I find it odd that you genuinely think I should be fine with rule by the Parliament of Belgium or Zimbabwe simply because they are all Parliaments.
I find it odd that you would object to being ruled by a parliament that hears your voice, whose composition you can influence. I'd fight tooth and nail against the Rhineland being turned into a French colony - but that's different from being ruled by a parliament that both the French and the Germans elected, and that rules over both peoples.

You envision subjugation; I envision unity. That's the difference between us:
Then why do you support the EU? Its inception, purpose and practice is hegemony
You act like the EU is some foreign power taking over the European countries, when really it is (or ought to be, and should be shaped to be) precisely what it says on the tin: A union, in which the peoples of Europe govern themselves as a whole.

Maybe the EU is like the League of Nations: Maybe it has to fail, only to be re-formed in a more functional manner after a great catastrophy. Only time will tell, I guess.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: Stuff (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: in other news (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I think part of the difference between the British and the Continental point of view is that here, the EU was never sold as "just a free trade area". It was always first and foremost a political project, a way to unify people that have too much in common for fighting each others. Later, for many Eastern EU countries it also became a way to join the West and leave the corrupt post-Soviet system before. Arguably, that's still the attraction in place like Ukraine.

I really wonder how your politicians managed to spin it if you think that "free trade area" was what was on the tin. Gosh, there is even a black-on-white "ever closer union" article.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I really wonder how your politicians managed to spin it if you think that "free trade area" was what was on the tin. Gosh, there is even a black-on-white "ever closer union" article.
Tony Blair is the guy who managed get an approval rating above 90%
Today he is known as the Blood God and peace ambassador of the Middle East
We have produced some elite bullshitters capable of selling anything in our time :P
Currently they just maintain that this is about free trade and we're voting to leave Europe, not the European Union

Also more hilariously George Osborne's aunt has joined in his family's revolt against his anti-UK stance. COME HOME OSBORNE, STOP GIVING OUR SHEKELS TO CAMERON, WE MISS U

"Speaking to the Standard, Mrs Little said: “My husband and I are very fond of George but we totally disagree with him on Brexit.”
While the Chancellor’s aunt is very enthusiastic towards him, she also has a soft spot for the Mayor of London. “I love Boris,” she said."

SHOTS FIRED
BORIS NEW ADOPTED NEPHEW OF THE OSBORNES CONFIRMED
C
  O
    M
       E
   H
     O
       M
          E

Also something very interesting which I think you guys may find interesting the Guardian's grabbed some Swedes, Germans and Spaniards to write articles discussing wtf they think about brexit. Keep in mind the Guardian are also writing articles saying the BBC has to be less impartial in order to get pro-EU arguments across and that impartiality is not even worth it so they're not really subtle about what they want to push, but this is interesting because it's their attempt at getting "outsider perspective". Does it hold water?

When David Cameron first promised a referendum on British membership of the EU if he were re-elected as prime minister, the idea baffled most Germans. They could not believe that the British could be contemplating leaving the EU. What future could they possibly think they might have outside Europe?
What was the bafflement level of Germans? We have such unique perspectives I feel  ;D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-poll-idUKKCN0XN1W9
FRESH POLLS
UK's got 2 point lead but as usual, undecideds will decide the referendum

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

China doesn't lack the ability for force projection. They lack the need to do that. The UK's enemies are all distant. China has a huge land and sea border, with fairly hostile nations on all sides. They don't have the rationale to project troops to the other side of the planet, whereas UK is an island nation, surrounded by mainly friendly nations. Sure the UK could build up huge land forces like China, but it would not make sense for the UK to do that. Their real threats are all remote.

And consider that China spends $150 billion to UK's $60 billion. Those are in the same ballpark, so to speak. China has much more than twice the firepower of the UK, so the idea that UK is somehow super-efficient with resources is not borne out.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=china
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=united-kingdom

e.g. 1230 fighters vs UK's 91 fighters. The only category where UK is equal to China is on Armored Fighting Vehicles, e.g. APCs. China has an absolutely insane amount of tanks (9000 vs UK 400), towed artillery guns (6200 vs UK 138), self-propelled guns (1700+ vs UK 89), and Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems  (1700+ vs UK 42).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:16:47 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

China doesn't lack the ability for force projection. They lack the need to do that. The UK's enemies are all distant.
China and the UK don't have enemies so far, but that's just a semantic issue. Consider how China started broadcasting amphibious assaults and exercises in warning against Taiwan, as a threat to their independence-leaning parties, or how Obama redeployed most of Europe's American personnel East in order to counter China's military flexing in the disputed seas. China's even said as much, their aerial intrusions towards Japanese islands are drills to improve their long-range combat abilities.
The Chinese military is a powerful avalanche, it just takes time to get the snowballs rolling!
The British military is more akin to an arrow, quick to flight, deadly and targeted - yet woe if it misses its mark or its flight loses momentum. Also the bow needs maintenance Cameron, you can't keep cutting the ends off and expecting the arrows to fly all the same u poncey mup
Anyways China still must develop and continues to develop its power-projection capabilities, or perhaps has already gotten there given China's love for secrecy. It's an ever-refining process.

China has a huge land and sea border, with fairly hostile nations on all sides. They don't have the rationale to project troops to the other side of the planet, whereas UK is an island nation, surrounded by mainly friendly nations. Sure the UK could build up huge land forces like China, but it would not make sense for the UK to do that. Their real threats are all remote.
China's land borders are all mostly insignificant threats to China, they really only have to worry about Korea in that regards. Maybe dickwave a bit in Kashmir. The Pacific is another issue entirely as they will inevitably butt heads with the USA's will to continue rule over the Pacific, and that is where their attention will be mostly focused - the other direction of course being focused inwards at maintaining civil order.
The UK locally need only worry about terrorists, spies, wayward Russian patrols and European fishermen, whilst its trade interests, business interests and shipping interests are global. Protecting Britons from sea mines, pirates and terrorists requires global reach - this is something China will have to do for its own citizens as its own citizens increasingly enter the global financial stage. Consider that the PRC is dealing with immense internal pressure and international pressure to stop their own people/foreign civilians from being murdered by Jihadis in the Middle East or West Africa, and in response they are stepping up counterterrorism drills and have already passed the legal framework to allowing Chinese deployment overseas. I'm pretty certain I forgot what the point was, but the takehome is China doesn't really care much beyond the backyard in Xinjiang and the Pacific but it could in future. Oh yeah! Something about not needing ludicrous amounts of power to get shit done, only a certain amount wielded effectively. I suppose points about how America's immense power having not exactly succeeded in the ME are poignant. I also don't think China needs the same force-projection capabilities as say, the USA does for example, to get most all they want.

And consider that China spends $150 billion to UK's $60 billion. Those are in the same ballpark, so to speak. China has much more than twice the firepower of the UK, so the idea that UK is somehow super-efficient with resources is not borne out.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=china
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=united-kingdom
We're not super-efficient with usage of resources m8, we're only quite efficient with application thereof, and have a much better ability to do whatever abroad
To give you an example, our carriers will be outfitted with F-35s [budget screams internally]
Yet the Brits are deployed in 80 countries and spearheading the possible Italian freedoming of Libya to come (or not come)

e.g. 1230 fighters vs UK's 91 fighters. The only category where UK is equal to China is on Armored Fighting Vehicles, e.g. APCs. China has an absolutely insane amount of tanks (9000 vs UK 400), towed artillery guns (6200 vs UK 138), self-propelled guns (1700+ vs UK 89), and Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems  (1700+ vs UK 42).
In the Falklands War if we had an airfleet that blotted out the sun with missiles and dollars, it would have meant absolutely nothing if we lacked any ability to actually use them. I agree with you on the efficient usage front because... Well, F-35s. Fortunately my current rulers haven't deemed fit to scrap operational ability ;D
Money to Materiel =/= Materiel to Objective

I do wonder how much is necessity and how much is strategy. I suppose it's strategy that takes account of the necessary. I still await our flying death robot squads with interest. Also seriously the UK and China are not in the same ballpark, this gulf is going to only grow wider as time goes on and China's military modernizes further Reelya; outspending us three times over is a significant advantage and one that will continue to grow - we are a great power, they are a rising economic superpower. They are on the list of countries to not poke, the hornet hive cannot fly beyond the ocean - leave it there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

President Xi Jinping taking command of the PLA.

Well isn't that topical

Four days earlier, Mr. Xi had started to implement a plan to transform the Soviet-modelled military, long focused on defending China from invasion, into a smaller, modern force capable of projecting power far from its shores.

NAILED IT

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

China's land borders are all mostly insignificant threats to China, they really only have to worry about Korea in that regards.

Don't be ridiculous. Supreme leader Kim Jong Un might be able to annihilate the Chinese single-handedly, but he regards them as family, and he would never hurt his family (uncles excluded)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

China's land borders are all mostly insignificant threats to China, they really only have to worry about Korea in that regards.
Don't be ridiculous. Supreme leader Kim Jong Un might be able to annihilate the Chinese single-handedly, but he regards them as family, and he would never hurt his family (uncles excluded)
I'm sort of expecting a DPRK invasion from Metalslimehunt any time now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm sort of expecting a DPRK invasion from Metalslimehunt any time now
YOU RANG?

PREPARE TO BE A S S I M I L A T E D, PLOT TWIST BREXIT ENDS IN US ANNEXATION, FIVE YEARS MAXIMUM
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:13:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

STAY CALM AND POST BANTER NEWS

EU referendum: 110 bosses say City will 'thrive' outside EU

More than 100 business figures have thrown their weight behind the campaign to leave the EU, arguing the City would "thrive and grow" outside the EU.
Ex-HSBC boss Michael Geoghegan, former Channel 4 chairman Luke Johnson and the stockbroker Peter Hargreaves are among those backing a Leave vote on 23 June.
Excessive regulation, they argue, poses a threat to London's pre-eminence in the global financial services industry.
The Shekel Wizards and Mr. Bones have cast their die, the shadow war is in the light of kek

Praise the Sun
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 107