Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151256 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread is like maximum LW.

Also, why does the UK want to leave the EU so much? It's never been entirely clear to me.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Well, old style xenophobes want out because they think it might mean less foreigners. A lot of people are concerned about the loss of power to unaccountable Belgium technocrats. There's also a big debate over whether it's costly or not: Britain is a net contributer to the EU budget, but also benefits greatly from it's trade agreements.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:36:34 pm by notquitethere »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: ease of scroll (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

It sounds like you over there on the britlands would be doing much better if you didn't have a crazy person as the prime minister.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

It sounds like you over there on the britlands would be doing much better if you didn't have a crazy person as the prime minister.
Our ruling eurosceptic party is led by a man who is pro-EU and his likely successor is pro-EU.

I think we're a bit fubard when it comes to choosing our own leaders right now :/

And consider the most likely person who could take over our ruling eurosceptic party who isn't pro-EU

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We literally can't get off of Mr. Bones' wild ride. That's of course assuming our pro-EU opposition leader doesn't win.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WE CAN'T GET OFF THIS WILD RIDE

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

You can see why I am determined to take most any measure as close as possible into British hands as possible.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oddly enough Corbyn used to be anti-EU, and has been accused of switching to pro-EU rhetoric since becoming Labour leader to avoid intra-party conflict.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Heh, it's looking like Boris then. You know you want to. Become one with the Tube strikes.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

You can see why I am determined to take most any measure as close as possible into British hands as possible.
For the first time I sort of understand where you're coming from. But see it this way: If we create a properly democratic and transparent EU, your crazy English leaders won't be able to fuck up so badly any more!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

But if you do that, would that make you more democratic than the us, or just a more transparent, more-confusing version on a different continent?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Just... different, really. In some sense the US is incredibly democratic, if you consider local communities as the elemental political building block rather than groups with common interests that are geographically dispersed. In another sense the European model is more democratic because it allows smaller groups to be heard more easily, at the cost of giving political organizations much more power.

I think they're not really comparable though - and never will be - simply because the societal differences behind the political ones are much too big.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Oddly enough Corbyn used to be anti-EU, and has been accused of switching to pro-EU rhetoric since becoming Labour leader to avoid intra-party conflict.
But he provoked intra-party conflict by refusing to tone down his pro-EU rhetoric, who is accusing him of having switched to avoid intra-party conflict? Well, to be fair it seems Corbyn can't open a window or peel an orange without provoking intra-party conflict. Labour party really needs some help, they've been in better shape

Heh, it's looking like Boris then. You know you want to. Become one with the Tube strikes.

The general elections in which we pick our MPs is sane and simple. Yet I am convinced the party election process is how we turn sane MPs into insane PMs.

For the first time I sort of understand where you're coming from. But see it this way: If we create a properly democratic and transparent EU, your crazy English leaders won't be able to fuck up so badly any more!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

creating a democratic and transparent EU would require eliminating the last of the British nation
Wait, what? Imagine the current EU, just with the Commissars elected by parliament and the parliament elected by the European people in a more equal process than the current one. How does that take away from Britishness?

I suppose the default would be copious quantities of cash gifts and our own Obama superstar President along with continental elections that actually elect the executives (or have the Parliament be the legislative branch). Loose up on integration, regulation, move towards the common foreign policy without direct administration or assumption of military and security or border control, and then begin integrating those last three once North Africa and the ME have been stabilized.
That... doesn't sound like it's too far away from what I'd like to see - epecially the bit about Parliament getting some actual power. Hm, moving towards a common foreign policy goal is difficult without force to back it up, no? How would you feel about an EU border control agency and an EU military coexisting with the national ones? It would necessarily entail some sharing of sovereignity - can't have border control without being allowed near the boders - but that ought to be a small sacrifice to make.

As a long-term goal, have one official language. Start off just having it be spoken in the law courts alongside other recognized languages (with interpreters) but start teaching schools all this one language and I suppose all the other languages would get screwed but... Well, you can't have a functional nation state without it being a functional nation state.
Why?

Seriously, why? This would be one of the few things that would turn me into an anti-EU fanatic pretty much immediately. One language means eradicating a shit-ton of national culture, and practically erasing the various national identities. Having one common administrative language would be a boon - and English is a clear favorite there - but why should that administrative language have to be the only one in use? Lots of states work fine with multiple languages - look at Switzerland. This sounds like an anti-EU fearmonger's scare scenario. I never would've expected you to call such a thing desirable.

why do Yuropoors want this great hegemony over everything, why isn't free trade enough?
I think it's mostly the trauma from hundreds of years of land warfare. The best way to make sure that the French don't invade is to live in the same country as them, and the same logic goes for the Germans, the Polish, the Italians...
Plus it just doesn't make sense that I should have to obey potentially radically different laws just because I stepped ten meters to the left. Integration just makes sense if you live in a border area - it's not about gaining power over your neighbors, it's about co-ordinating with them so everyone gets along better.

Really you don't need that much power to get shit done
You need the power to tell a small group 'Well, we know you've got special interests, and we've tried to take them into account, but this is the best we can manage. Now you'll have to bite the bullet and go along with what everyone agreed on.'

And you need the power to kick them in the teeth if they're being a dick and refuse to cooperate.
The Bay12 postcard club

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But he provoked intra-party conflict by refusing to tone down his pro-EU rhetoric, who is accusing him of having switched to avoid intra-party conflict? Well, to be fair it seems Corbyn can't open a window or peel an orange without provoking intra-party conflict. Labour party really needs some help, they've been in better shape

It's meant to be some Labour Eurosceptics that are critical of the shift in his tone. Can't find the original article I read it in, but here's a few links to do with the topic.

First a bit of basic history on his political record regarding the EU.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-corbyn-is-making-a-big-speech-saying-we-should-remain-in-the-eu-heres-all-the-times-he-said-the-eu-was-bad-2016-4

Some more bits and pieces of his opinions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35743994

Most of this next link is irrelevant, but it has two quoted passages at the top from some Labour something or others disapproving of Corbyn shifting gear for the sake of party unity.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/apr/14/corbyn-speech-eu-referendum-poll-shows-corbyn-more-trusted-on-europe-than-cameron-politics-live

I feel this excerpt gives a decent insight to Corbyn's personal position by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36039925

Asked why he had been converted to the EU cause, after speaking against it so many times in the past and voting to come out in the 1975 referendum, he said the Labour Party and trade unions had "overwhelmingly" decided to back EU membership "and that's the party I lead and that's the position I am putting forward."

The phrasing there certainly gives the impression he's just going with the party majority rather than his own opinions. Kind of a spineless thing to do really, but then Corbyn probably wants to be able to at least pretend the Labour party doesn't have a big gaping split in it right now.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: scrollllll (click to show/hide)

it's not about gaining power over your neighbors, it's about co-ordinating with them so everyone gets along better.
And you need the power to kick them in the teeth if they're being a dick and refuse to cooperate.
Couldn't resist it
Don't take my qmining as more than banter

Seriously though when you've got legal and economic control that's more than enough, when you've got fiscal control everything's in your control already. When you're talking military power then that's not how you negotiate, gunboat diplomacy in a nuclear world does not a safe europe make. Also the EU would need advisors and think tanks that aren't planning to make Europeans getting blown up a regular occurrence, ffs esi.
I stand by "you really don't need that much power to get shit done." Consider how much more powerful China is than Great Britain, yet with more efficient use of less resources (and more versatile resources) Great Britain is more capable of force projection. Well, given China's recent militiarization I doubt we'll be able to keep those bragging rights for more than maybe four or five years (maybe they already have but haven't had the opportunity to show it?). But then look at China again; with vast resources AND efficient application of them, they are capable of making all of East Asia and North America scared without having actually committed any soldiers to teeth kicking, or having even actually developed force projection capabilities. The very notion of developing capability is a meaningful threat enough on top of actual capability (albeit you have to show ability to deliver at some point, hence whacky Russian adventures in everywhere or American history in general).

Maybe someone should tell Asia they just need to give their countries to the People's Republic, that way China won't dominate them by military force, only control their country

It's meant to be some Labour Eurosceptics that are critical of the shift in his tone. Can't find the original article I read it in, but here's a few links to do with the topic.
Shitehoc I thought they were purged

The phrasing there certainly gives the impression he's just going with the party majority rather than his own opinions. Kind of a spineless thing to do really, but then Corbyn probably wants to be able to at least pretend the Labour party doesn't have a big gaping split in it right now.
Diplomatic speak for "please no more controversies"
Smart thing to do, being a spineless jelly is not threatening to anyone. Amusingly on the topic of politicians and dubious affiliations with unknown EU stances one of the first responses from the remain campaign was that Boris Johnson was actually pro-EU and only leading the leave campaign in a bid for Tory leadership and personal advancement. Now that's plausible but Boris Johnson being pretty eurosceptic all this time whilst Cameron slagged him for it suggests he's genuine on that, yet all the same Boris Johnson's campaign was chosen as the official leave EU campaign over others by the electoral commission, others for whom there could be no doubts they are pro-UK. I cannot accept this though, as I imagine if he really was pro-EU announcing it instead of sabotaging the campaign from within *just enough* would be a far more profitable move (and you wouldn't want to pick someone like Boris who'd be a positive impact to conduct such shenanigery either). Plus I think it'd be a bit much to have the Commission, the US President, our own Prime Minister, our Chancellor and even the leader of our own Leave campaign against us, I believe fate cannot truly be that stacked against honest endeavour xD
https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-polling/
FT poll poll is showing pretty neck and neck, notably it's showing the stay campaign as having gained a 2% lead when it used to be the leave campaign leading. The polls could be more bullshit than the general election ones but you do wonder...

For those who don't know David Cameron spent the better part of 2015 and 2016 trying to keep our pro-UK politicians quiet to not influence the election in the wrong direction. Well and then he used state funds to send a pro-EU leaflet to every household at the cost of £9M for the leaflets alone. That is more than the entire Leave Campaign's maximum legal campaign budget as set by the Electoral Commission.
The PM said the government was "not neutral" and backed remaining in the EU and it was right to explain why.

For those who are pro-UK there is a certain despair in our opposing faction having limitless access to funds and no legal restrictions
They outspent our side's entire total campaign budget without actually using any of their campaign funds delivering leaflets to every single household in the UK

My lights are dead inside but I'm still working

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Well this is new. If you aren't willing to sacrifice a shit ton of national culture or willing to erase a few of the various national identities why would you be willing to support the EU, which will necessitate sacrificing a shit ton of national culture and erasing various national identities?
I guess I just don't think common administration necessarily means erasing local culture - again, look at the Swiss. Or hell, look at Germany! Maybe this is why I'm more optimistic than you in this regard - I've lived in a heavily federalized country all my life, much more heavily federalized than Great Britain. Bavaria has been ruled from Berlin for what, 150 years or so by now? They're still wearing Dirndls and drinking Weißbier. And in Cologne there's still Carnival, Kölsch, and Köbesse. Up North they still burn great heaps of trimmings each Easter, just like their forebears did even before the area became Christian. And in the East they also follow their ancient traditions, lighting foreigners on fire and muttering about how a dictatorship wouldn't be all that bad. And Berlin can't do shit about it - and it doesn't want to, either.
I don't see why things would have to be different on an EU level.

Supremacy over British parliament, the end of the monarchy, the end of British sovereignty and independence. This would be the end of Great Britain, "Britishness" I imagine would persist for as long as the British did and held it worthy of keeping.
Supremacy over British parliament - sure, that's sort of a given, but shouldn't be too bad if it's another parliament that's exercising that supremacy. End of British sovereignity and independence? Well yeah. End of the monarchy? Why should the EU depose the Queen?

What really gets me about this is: Are you really attached to the English state, as opposed to the English nation? Because all you're saying is that the English state would dissolve, yet you freely talk about the English nation living on...

The best way to make sure that the French don't invade your country is to be on friendly terms, seek economic interdependence and cooperation so that invasions become actually impossible without automatic self-destruction and if you want to be Swiss about it, keep a military on standby just in case.
Well, before WWI quite a few people considered the economic interdependence of the European states big enough to prevent big wars. They were wrong. Who says that we're right when we claim the same thing? Just look at Russia - there you can see without trouble that politics still trump economics.
The other big danger is: What if France elects an irrational leader who does not see those benefits? Or, God forbid, my countrymen do? Especially in an economic downturn, where those benefits are less pronounced, this is a real possibility. And in such a situation the old saying 'Blood is thicker than water' holds true: Friendship can wither, so it's better to be brothers than just friends.
And where ideals and political views are concerned, the (EU) European nations are pretty similar already, so living under the same roof would hardly be a burden. It would be different with, let's say, Russia - that's why I'm not advocating the integration of that country, at least not to the same degree. But where's the fundamental gap between a German dude and a Frenchman?

it's not about gaining power over your neighbors, it's about co-ordinating with them so everyone gets along better.
Couldn't resist it
Don't take my qmining as more than banter
Well, it's equally important to me that it's possible to kick my country in the teeth as well - I thought that was a given. Again: I find the idea of one country dominating its neighbors to be abhorrent.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107