Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67

Author Topic: Omega legion: The Satyr's Entourage  (Read 69276 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega legion: The Satyr's Entourage
« Reply #285 on: May 04, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »

((*laughter*))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 04, 2016, 02:54:59 pm »

Eh. Take a look around. Actively ignore any plantbabies I find. Look for other things of note.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:36 am »

Well, keep looking.
You track all the plantbabies that you guys have located. Some of them seem to move remarkably fast, and a couple seem to disappear, but you note their last location and see that they have buried themselves like those other three Aylia found. They must be watching for you guys though, because the moment one of you appraoaches ithin range, they launch themselves in a sudden spray of dirt and wander off, giggling and screeching.

Well, keep looking.
This. repeat searching actions until we find them all.
-edit: fixed broken tag-
try as you might, you can't account for all the babies like this. Even with you and the Eye flying above, somehow some fo the plantbabies remain unseen.

Keep. Searching.  Use self-enhancment magic to buff baby-hunting abilities.

((I had a dream last night where Dar'yajira and the eye found all the remaining leaf children, but Aylia turned into an octopus and got lost in a pond.  I was honestly surprised to see the post today and not have that be what happened.  Huh.))
You find your own footprints at one point. What are you going to buff and how?

Eh. Take a look around. Actively ignore any plantbabies I find. Look for other things of note.
A plantbaby tugs on your ear, and another tugs on your fiddle, and you brush them off nonchalantly while keeping a sharp eye out for suspicious activity or items. there must be more here than meets the eye, right?

((if enogh people post beforehand, I'll try to make another post this evening, unless you ask for more time.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2016, 06:22:56 am »

Try Fiddler's approach, only once they've stopped running away, recapture them.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2016, 06:45:25 am »

The answer hits Fiddler square in the face. Metaphorically, of course.

Begin fiddling and make a circle around Plantbaby Fields, then return to the center.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:52 am »

I land near the PlantMother and continue observing what is going on, the plant-beings, and so on. Maybe the behavior of the ones we've already returned will help give ideas for what the ones we haven't are doing to stay hidden.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »

I have no idea what should be buffed to help hunt plant babies.  If Dar's having trouble finding them, and they have a scent, smell should be buffed.  If Dar's having trouble catching them, dex should be buffed.  Otherwise, I dunno.  I guess that means an int roll should be made, much as I hate those.

Anyway, yeah, buff whatever then continue hunting

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »

Try Fiddler's approach, only once they've stopped running away, recapture them.
You Float in place, rigid, and watch Fidler wander around playing his fiddle. Music? Okay: >la, la, la, connect the dots. LA La La, Connect The Dots, LA LA LA CONNECT THE DOTS, LALALACONNECTTHEDOTS" You sing with increasing 'enthusiasm' until someone starts throwing rocks at you.

Well, someone has terrible taste, because one single plantbaby climbs up on top of you and roots itself firmly to your head, singing: "cheep cheep cheep, cheep che cheep!" and dancing in rhythm. It refuses to dislodge when you attempt to put it with the others, too. Plantmomma looks at you with withering scorn and profound disappointment. Been a while since i could roll badly for charisma. it's just as glorious as I remembered.

The answer hits Fiddler square in the face. Metaphorically, of course.

Begin fiddling and make a circle around Plantbaby Fields, then return to the center.
You begin Fiddling and strolling. Several plantbabies seem interested, one even climbing high to look your way, wiggling in apparent satisfaction. The Eye takes a liking to this plan and adds a vocal disharmony to it, causing plantbabies to cry and hisss and disappear. After 'someone' manages to shut the Eye up with a well placed stone in the face, you resume your stroll, collecting plantbabies by the power of song - specifically, this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I ... only with more fiddle. You collect sixteen plantbabies, all in a row, and march them into the clearing, along with five rabbits, two chickens, and, of course, a badger and a snake. "Hey Eye? How many did you get this time?" > ... One "Goody. How many are left? > there are fourteen left in the wild, excluding the one attached to my frame. "cheep cheep cheep, cheep che cheep!"

I land near the PlantMother and continue observing what is going on, the plant-beings, and so on. Maybe the behavior of the ones we've already returned will help give ideas for what the ones we haven't are doing to stay hidden.
You watch plantpoppa marshal his troops, and plantbabies line up like little soldiers, still dancing in rhythm and cheeping away, except for the unfortunate period when the Eye is screeching at the world with malevolence and spite (neither emotion of which does the Eye actually feel). Observing them is made easier by the fact that they are aligned in a nice, patterned arc in front of plantbro, who directs them like a conductor at an orchestra. The rhythm changes when Fiddler passes by fiddling, and most of the plantbabies in the group swivel to face him, wherever he is in the field, though some ignore him completely. When he marches into the clearing, his entourage moves into the crowd, and there is some shuffling about while places are made in the arc for the newcomers. the rabbits, chickens badger and snake all take places along the fringe, settling in behind and outside of the arc like good little audience members.

You notice something else unexpected. Know how the plantmomma fusses ovger the plants, cleaning and straightening them? She moves in a similar pattern around three spots where there is a gap in the pattern.

I have no idea what should be buffed to help hunt plant babies.  If Dar's having trouble finding them, and they have a scent, smell should be buffed.  If Dar's having trouble catching them, dex should be buffed.  Otherwise, I dunno.  I guess that means an int roll should be made, much as I hate those.

Anyway, yeah, buff whatever then continue hunting

You buff scent, and begin tracking them more carefully. But their scent is all over, and leads in a confusing tangle of trails, turns, overlaps, and backtracks - usually ending up heading back in toward plantcentral. Some of the scents are slightly different from the others though. "Dexssss is for flipping and turning and not getting hit and hittingsssss. Dar wantses ssspeeed for catchings. Stupid flowers is fast, not nimble."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »

I intently watch those spots where the pattern is broken, looking for the plantbabies that I suspect are there, hidden somehow. I want to figure out exactly how they're hiding and how I can counter it. Are they burrowed? transparent? something else?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »

Watching Aylia, try scanning all the spectrum.
Sigtext

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:01 pm »

What just spoke?!  I'd assume Dar, but he has no lisp, so a snake?!  Quickly dodge away and scan the surroundings for potential aggressors.

...If none are found, continue to buff scent and speed, then keep on hunting plantbabies.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 09, 2016, 07:31:51 pm »

I intently watch those spots where the pattern is broken, looking for the plantbabies that I suspect are there, hidden somehow. I want to figure out exactly how they're hiding and how I can counter it. Are they burrowed? transparent? something else?
Watching Aylia, try scanning all the spectrum.
>scans indicate simple, but effective magical occlusion. An invisibility spell of sorts. Common countermeasures include spells of revealing, spells of dispelling, use of other senses, potions of see invisible, direct contact with the invisible item or being, and waiting for the invisibility to dissipate naturally.

What just spoke?!  I'd assume Dar, but he has no lisp, so a snake?!  Quickly dodge away and scan the surroundings for potential aggressors.

...If none are found, continue to buff scent and speed, then keep on hunting plantbabies.
Dar hisses and sputters in rage at his own recent lisping voice. "Stupid voice, yo  obey me now! Is talking like Dar, not like stupid legless animals. Which can't even talk anyway."

you buff speed and scent, while flipping up, backward, and sideways, and skittering off in random direction to confuse your apparent attacker, before stopping ,sitting still and licking your paw twice as fast as normal ot relax yourself. then you go chase plantbabies. (2 v. 1) you catch one!thirteen to go, plus the one the Eye has kidnapped for use as a comical hat.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 09, 2016, 07:57:59 pm »

((Assuming the Eye will be communicating the invisibility effect to me))
and less common countermeasures include rain, flour, dust, and any other effect that places large numbers of visible particles in the air, and monitoring the displacement of objects and particles in the area especially sand, dust, gravel, and grass.
And that's exactly what I'm going to use. I fly back up to perch in a tree near the clearing, and watch for displacements of dirt, grass, whatever. When I spot one, I keep track of it and go after the target location, and if I come up dry I make sure to maintain vision of the location in case the invisplantbaby tries to run, and make a second attempt at the same location before concluding that I didn't actually see anything after all. And if nothing else, time and the Eye are on my side. They can't avoid forever.

Also, I've been in close proxemity to these PlantCreatures for an extended period of time now, closely studying them and interacting with them whilst actively learning to shift into their form. I'm fairly certain that around now I should have acquired a new form as one of them, and would that happen to come with information about their abilities?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 09, 2016, 09:50:36 pm »

>The possibility of localized magical camouflage disrupting particulate-based visibility efforts is not an impossibility.

>Nevertheless, assuming that the particulate can be distinguished from the biota, one could inspect via footprint.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67