Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114632 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2016, 11:41:43 am »

You guys shouldn't worry too much about the mechanics yet, because I'm not.

For now, the setting and the area is much more important.

Related note, aggulutination. Learn to fear it.

Thing is that setting and area could be different depending on the mechanics, seeing as how they are intertwined to some extend.

Anyways, I'll have to reiterate the earlier question then: what time period/technology level are we talking here?
Roughly, alternate reality 1980's.

Also, I know, but I'm saying that it's a little too early to worry about exactly how to handle the guy who walks into a combat driven RPG with nothing but a box of bandaids and still wants to level up.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2016, 11:46:08 am »

Thing is that setting and area could be different depending on the mechanics, seeing as how they are intertwined to some extend.

Anyways, I'll have to reiterate the earlier question then: what time period/technology level are we talking here?

Also, I know, but I'm saying that it's a little too early to worry about exactly how to handle the guy who walks into a combat driven RPG with nothing but a box of bandaids and still wants to level up.
So things like modern firearms, computers and the like are to be expected? Or are you still planning to make it melee-focused?

One cool thing you could consider is like in that helldivers game, where you have scouts who sounds the alarm that attracts enemies when they see you, but if you can evade them or kill them quickly enough they won't. So, once 1 sees you, more scouts also come in to check out the noise, so now you have to juggle killing difficult enemies and killing additional scouts to prevent even more baddies 'spawning in'.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:48:54 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2016, 11:46:50 am »

@Paris: The original, or the xkcd?
I was driving back from work and looking at the towers and it came to me, so yes, probably the original one. Although now that you mention it, it does fit nicely with the xkcd one. They could complement each other. The field of giants leading up to the windmill tripods.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:13 am »

Spoiler: Also, here it is: (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2016, 12:06:33 pm »

alternate reality 1980's
1980's

If tech allows, I want one thing. One thing.

Or just about any tonk in general. Rek some demonic fuccbois in 45 tonnes of steel thunder. Pls, P-dubs-sempai, even if it's just once.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »

Why have tanks when you can have tank-girls?
I bet Syvarris and the other tinker addicts would love that game. It's all about that Armour Penetration and Huge Penetrating Shells. :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22:22 pm »

So things like modern firearms, computers and the like are to be expected? Or are you still planning to make it melee-focused?

One cool thing you could consider is like in that helldivers game, where you have scouts who sounds the alarm that attracts enemies when they see you, but if you can evade them or kill them quickly enough they won't. So, once 1 sees you, more scouts also come in to check out the noise, so now you have to juggle killing difficult enemies and killing additional scouts to prevent even more baddies 'spawning in'.
1980's computers weren't exactly great. And I'm thinking about how to handle ranged in general. Even if there's no guns there's always gonna be some degree of ranged combat, even if it's just throwing your weapon.  Again, thats in the future, I don't even have a single map made, and trying to completely create a system when I don't know what it will need to do yet or how it will need to do it is silly.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2016, 12:33:19 pm »

Maybe they weren't, but it does open up new avenues for things like weapons, enemies and more. I mean, things like reconnaissance satellites, ballistic missiles and nukes were a thing back then already (in regular reality 1980's at least), having access to one of those would probably influence the gameworld quite a bit. For example, how to explain the demon city not being wiped off the map by volley after volley of nukes? Questions like that would influence the history of the world and how the whole thing behaves, I suspect.

Unless you wanna say that in this reality things like those don't exist yet, though then I kinda wonder why one would set it in that timeperiod to begin with and not an earlier one that fits the idea better.

Anyways, so the best way we can help right now is location ideas and such? Because you did say in the OP to just mention "anything you think is neat".

EDIT: one thing that might be cool, and would serve to explain away a lot of things with technology not being available and the demon city not having been cleansed in nuclear fire, would be to say that this is a reality in which the cold war went hot, and the unholy corruption spawned from the chaos and death that ensued. Kinda like the lich from adventure time, an entity of pure evil and malice spawned from humanity's greatest folly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:21:12 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2016, 01:30:08 pm »

I bet Syvarris and the other tinker addicts would love that game. It's all about that Armour Penetration and Huge Penetrating Shells. :P
God damn, that game is terrible in a hilarious kind of way. The amount of tank/wwII jokes in that one video alone, I lost it at the cosmoline line.

Still, Tiger I portrayed as clumsy onee-san with shiny hair accessory and a pearl necklace? 0 outta 10, would not invade poland with.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »

God damn, that game is terrible in a hilarious kind of way. The amount of tank/wwII jokes in that one video alone, I lost it at the cosmoline line.

Still, Tiger I portrayed as clumsy onee-san with shiny hair accessory and a pearl necklace? 0 outta 10, would not invade poland with.

Hmm, if parties normally are restricted to 5 per sortie... driver, gunner, loader, commander and someone to stand on top and look badass brandishing a sword. Yeah, I could see that work!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2016, 01:46:48 pm »

For locations, how about a statue garden? A garden filled with numerous tall, black eyed, white statues, extemely pronounced muscles, very life like. Perhaps some four armed statues thrown into the mix? Space pope and his maids?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »

And then ORO was ER after all  :o

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2016, 01:48:39 pm »

Law courts definitely. Complete with robed and wigged lawyers for that Gothic-horror feel.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2016, 02:24:53 pm »

Maybe they weren't, but it does open up new avenues for things like weapons, enemies and more. I mean, things like reconnaissance satellites, ballistic missiles and nukes were a thing back then already (in regular reality 1980's at least), having access to one of those would probably influence the gameworld quite a bit. For example, how to explain the demon city not being wiped off the map by volley after volley of nukes? Questions like that would influence the history of the world and how the whole thing behaves, I suspect.

Unless you wanna say that in this reality things like those don't exist yet, though then I kinda wonder why one would set it in that timeperiod to begin with and not an earlier one that fits the idea better.

Anyways, so the best way we can help right now is location ideas and such? Because you did say in the OP to just mention "anything you think is neat".

EDIT: one thing that might be cool, and would serve to explain away a lot of things with technology not being available and the demon city not having been cleansed in nuclear fire, would be to say that this is a reality in which the cold war went hot, and the unholy corruption spawned from the chaos and death that ensued. Kinda like the lich from adventure time, an entity of pure evil and malice spawned from humanity's greatest folly.
reconnaissance satellites, ballistic missiles and nukes

These will not be in there. Because no.

one thing that might be cool, and would serve to explain away a lot of things with technology not being available and the demon city not having been cleansed in nuclear fire, would be to say that this is a reality in which the cold war went hot, and the unholy corruption spawned from the chaos and death that ensued.

Shhhhh! No spoilers.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »

These will not be in there. Because no.
Boo. What about normal artillery? And what about tonks?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 88